Tooth Out

JamboPete

Do any fellow kickbacker's know how long you have to wait after having a tooth extracted, before you can start to consume alcohol again?

Cheers in advance.:(

Doctor FinnBarr
Do any fellow kickbacker's know how long you have to wait after having a tooth extracted, before you can start to consume alcohol again?

Cheers in advance.:(

Didn't know there was a time limit on it. At a guess I'd say about 2 hours!

;)

maroonlegions

i once lasted half an hour:eek:, felt like a right tube trying to drink a pint of larger with one side of my face still asleep.:P:rolleyes:

I had a beer 30 minutes after getting a tooth out. Luckily I was in the Boundary Bar on Leith Walk so I didn't look too out of place drooling beer and blood down my shirt as I sat mumbling to myself.

PontiusPilate
I had a beer 30 minutes after getting a tooth out. Luckily I was in the Boundary Bar on Leith Walk so I didn't look too out of place drooling beer and blood down my shirt as I sat mumbling to myself.

Dentist in Pilrig Street by any chance? I was the same but in the Horseshoe after getting a tooth out, whisky probably wasnt the best drink to have.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

There are circumstance where you are not allowed to consume alcohol?

Really?

hughesie27

Your not really allowed to drink anything for hours as you need to the blood to harden to form a 'scab'

Don't know about after extraction, but I had a front tooth extracted outside the White Hoose after the guy extracting had his last beer two minutes before he extracted my tooth.;)

Stewart MacD

Whenever the anaesthetic wears off, it may be necessary to administer your own.

I remember back in the niocine age, when I was at school, I had an extraction and was walking along Inverleith Row afterwards in the snow, spitting blood. Some old dear nearly fainted.

Whenever the anaesthetic wears off, it may be necessary to administer your own.

I remember back in the niocine age, when I was at school, I had an extraction and was walking along Inverleith Row afterwards in the snow, spitting blood. Some old dear nearly fainted.

I hope it wasn't Dr Fisher. He was a butcher.

Three days ago, the beautiful, and highly talented, Ms. Fiona "Babycakes" McAllan had to have a tooth surgically removed - says it's worse than childbirth - don't know whether to agree or disagree - can any Mothers offer advice? Not only am I stumped, I'm apparently clueless - can anyone offer some helpful suggestions?:confused::confused:

Cheers in advance.

After the procedure

If you have had your tooth removed under local anaesthesia, you will need to stay at the dental surgery until the bleeding is controlled, probably about 10 to 15 minutes. Afterwards, the best thing is to go home and relax for the rest of the day. The effects of any sedative may last longer than you expect. Both sedation and general anaesthesia can temporarily affect your coordination and reasoning skills. Don't drive, drink alcohol, operate machinery or sign legal documents until your dentist tells you it's safe. This will be at least 24 hours after your procedure if you had sedation and 48 hours for general anaesthesia. If you are in any doubt about driving, please contact your motor insurer so you are aware of their recommendations, and always follow your dentist's advice.

You may have some discomfort and swelling for a few days afterwards, and your jaw may feel a little stiff. Over-the-counter painkillers, for example paracetamol, should be enough to relieve this. However, it's important that you don't take aspirin as this thins your blood and may cause more bleeding from the wound. Always follow the instructions in the patient information leaflet that comes with the medicine and ask your pharmacist for advice.

Wait until the anaesthetic has worn off before having hot food or drinks - you might burn your mouth or chew the inside of your cheek while it's still numb. Once you regain some feeling, stick to lukewarm, soft food and try not to chew in the part of your mouth where the tooth has been removed. It's important not to drink alcohol or smoke for at least 24 hours after the extraction - this may cause further bleeding.

It's best not to rinse out your mouth for the first 24 hours after the extraction. This is because any blood clot that may have formed could be disturbed and the bleeding could start again. It could also lead to an infection and this will mean it takes longer to heal. After the first day, it can be helpful to rinse out your mouth with salt water (one teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water) three or four times a day.

It's important to keep your mouth as clean as possible so continue brushing your teeth after the extraction.

You may notice some slight bleeding for the first couple of days after having a tooth removed. This is normal and rather than rinsing out your mouth, try to stop it by biting down on a clean pad of material such as a handkerchief. If the bleeding doesn't stop within a couple of hours, contact your dentist.

If you had stitches during the procedure, you may need to go back to your dentist to have them removed. Otherwise you probably won't need a follow-up appointment.

Archived