****The Ophishial Arbroath V Hearts Matchday Fred****

Pans Jambo

No game of football is easy. You need to fight for your victories. But you expect much better from Hearts.  

And that’s the point.  I’m the first to go on about winning coming first but for too long these type of performances got tolerated over he last few years and we didn’t fight for better. Results suffer when players don’t have the bar set for them. 

Setting a high standard of performance is a view to longevity, long term good form. It seems like we toil to impose our game when teams come out to be physical, defend deep and get tight. We seem better in an open game. 

In the end a thankful 3 points all considered.  

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• Greedy Jambo

• iantjambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
46 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Dunno if this guy is trying to be funny or is just quite disturbed.

20201023_224927.jpg

Sad life. Probably looking for neighbor's taking family into their home 

31 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Robbie wasn't even asked prematch why he was left out.   Standard questions when there's a team change.   Nada.   Very strange. 

I'll keep reading on here to see if there's information. 

According to the match report on Hearts official website Roberts was out injured.

8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Sticky pitch,  narrow,  hard working opponent,  never out of 2nd gear. 

Similar to Alloa game 6 years ago. 

Only danger to promotion is Covid19 

Spot on.  If I recall, after we beat Rangers and Hibs in 2014, we drew 0-0 away to Dumbarton.  Quite a few narrow wins away from home that season, but if memory serves me the only games we actually lost away from home were against Hibs and Rangers.  

Big positive for me tonight is that I don’t think we’ll play any worse than we did during stages of that match.  I’d rather get the shite performances out the way early as long as the points are racking up.  

32 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yep. Being grammatically accurate is the mark of an intelligent person. 

These planks that use 'of' instead of 'have' are an utter embarrassment.

Many years ago I got an 'A' Grade for my English Higher; something I brag about to this day. Note the use of the semi colon there.

These clowns wouldn't even get a Complimentary 'O' Level. 

Anyway,

:fth:

55 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Off topic but I love the use of the word ‘an’ in front of a word that begins with ‘h’ . it shows good breeding, good education and just a tad of class.

If the poster was applying an accent to the word horrific, with the second letter being "o", then it sounds different and is perfectly acceptable to me. 

😀 

Go on try it.   Unless it was a bellend of a post 😲  from the op.   Then I remove myself from the attempt at remedy. 

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Off topic but I love the use of the word ‘an’ in front of a word that begins with ‘h’ . it shows good breeding, good education and just a tad of class.

I always thought you only used an in front of a silent h, such as an hour, an honour?

On tv mentioned last Hearts visit to Gayfield was 1979. Wasn’t there, but was part of pitch invasion in 1978. Any win is good in lower league. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

20201023_224927.jpg

I saw that earlier, he reckons Neilson touched the 4th official 3 times and it was attempted murder 😱🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈

Not the first time the words Neilson/touch/murder have been used in the same sentence right enough 😆

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s not because it’s an H its because the words sounds like it begins with a vowel, it’s the only exception to using an before a word that’s spelt with a vowel.  So before honour but not harass for example. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I always thought you only used an in front of a silent h, such as an hour, an honour?

Yes indeed. 

WheatfieldWarrior
32 minutes ago, MES said:

On tv mentioned last Hearts visit to Gayfield was 1979. Wasn’t there, but was part of pitch invasion in 1978. Any win is good in lower league. 

Didn't hear the reference, but I was at the preseason friendly in may 2018, so we've definitely been there in the last few years.

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Arbroath did well last season so I'll take any win. Yes it could have been prettier but thats 6/6 points.

The hibs game will take care of itself, that's not to say we will skoosh it, just that our league for will have little bearing on things 

Arbroath have knocked Dundee off the bottom of the league.

:seething:

4 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Poor performance but decent result. My Dad was from Arbroath and supported both Hearts and the Lichties so I have something of a soft spot for them. But not enough to want anything less than 3 points for Heart of Midlothian F.C.

Was the first league ground I played at so i similarly have a wee soft spot for them. Not when we play them though. End of we were very wasteful with chances second half after taking control. We should have been out of sight before those last few minutes. Played 2 Won 2 GD +5 , where we want to be. 

3 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

20201023_224927.jpg

That is a poor effort there....

I think expectations became too great after scoring 6 against Dundee. The reality is that there are going to be more games like this one,  3 points is the imperative and that was achieved.

Look at it from an SPL perspective and consider the OF against the bottom sides. They dwarf them budget and quality wise just as Hearts do the opposition in the Championship. But especially away from home while more often than not they still take the points they're not always completely blowing them away are they?

That's going to be the same for Hearts in the Championship. There will be big wins and scrappy narrow ones. As long as the points are taken the majority of the time it wont be an issue.

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Games played 2,  points 6,  GD +5

What's not to like?

Hearts.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, been here before said:

"Your complaints has been passed...".

If you're going to pass shite off as authentic then at least sort the syntax.

Seems like the idiot is short of most of his brain cells.

6 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Sad life. Probably looking for neighbor's taking family into their home 

Looking through his tweets, that seems to be correct.

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I saw that earlier, he reckons Neilson touched the 4th official 3 times and it was attempted murder 😱🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈

Not the first time the words Neilson/touch/murder have been used in the same sentence right enough 😆

😂

That is very true.

4 hours ago, sadj said:

That is a poor effort there....

He gets like 1 or 2 likes at most on his posts. He seems like the kinda guy that would tell a joke to an empty room and then laugh loudly to himself. 

portobellojambo1

It wasn't as fluid a performance as last week but we achieved the end result, which is what really counts. We've now played both home and away and won both, and last night will give a better idea of how teams wil line up against us on the road. It is all about what the management/coaching side learn from the game. I think it did show that without the options out wide we do immediately look like a different side, more like we have for the last 2/3 seasons, where playing as we did last night more often than not resulted in defeat. And I think the factwe were away from home played a part in Haillyday starting the game rather than Irving, for example. It meant we didn't have as much impact going forward as we could have had, but again the backroom may have learned that changes don't have to happen just based on the venue but should be made based on the opposition. Not playing well and winning is better than not playing well and dropping points.

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It wasn't as fluid a performance as last week but we achieved the end result, which is what really counts. We've now played both home and away and won both, and last night will give a better idea of how teams wil line up against us on the road. It is all about what the management/coaching side learn from the game. I think it did show that without the options out wide we do immediately look like a different side, more like we have for the last 2/3 seasons, where playing as we did last night more often than not resulted in defeat. And I think the factwe were away from home played a part in Haillyday starting the game rather than Irving, for example. It meant we didn't have as much impact going forward as we could have had, but again the backroom may have learned that changes don't have to happen just based on the venue but should be made based on the opposition. Not playing well and winning is better than not playing well and dropping points.

Superb post, as always 👍

11 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Let us not kid ourselves - That was an horrific performance yet a bit of quality from Wighton got us off the hook...We need to do better away from home. More self-belief, more confidence, more arrogance. Smith said it was windy, so why all the long balls? regardless that one got us a goal.

Spot on.  Sadly there are many who merely see 3 points as a means of hiding the truth.

2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

This was the worrying element. Arbroath had the best chances of the game and if we'd lost a goal, as we would have if we didn't have CG in goals, then we might well have lost the game, we certainly would have lost it last season. Our ability to give the ball straight back to the opposition is just like last season.

However, there are positives.

We do have Craig in goal. 

Wighton is at last showing his ability, he has pace, a great touch, and is so much stronger on the ball.

Boyce has genuine class, he looks a bit rusty but he'll score 20 at least this season.

37 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Spot on.  Sadly there are many who merely see 3 points as a means of hiding the truth.

The truth as I see it is that there will be plenty of games this season where we must grind out wins. That is the reality of it and as we managed to do exactly that last night I'm happy with the three points. It was the same the last time in the Championship, beating Hibs and Rangers, putting 10 past Cowdenbeath etc was great but another two that spring to mind was going to Alloa and winning by a fortunate goal late on when an Eckersly free kick onto the box was allowed to harmlessly bounce into the net by everybody and another at QoS when we managed another fortunate late winner when Zefuik (I think) 'fooling' the keeper with a fluffed header but it still went in despite the keeper almost clawing the ball of the line. We got the three points in both cases and at the end of the day that was all that mattered in our romp to the title. I can't see this season being any different so one good win and one bad win will do for me at this stage.  

12 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The most inaccurate description of the game yet.

Okay, so I fell into the trap of posting a rant more than a structured and considered response.  Whilst we won, I was very disappointed with our performance which mirrored last season's efforts and I cannot understand how many of us appear to be accepting it and finding excuses for doing so.  As for my accuracy, in contrast, there are plenty posts that agree with my overall sentiment.  We were  lucky.

Jambo in Bathgate
5 minutes ago, 1953 said:

The truth as I see it is that there will be plenty of games this season where we must grind out wins. That is the reality of it and as we managed to do exactly that last night I'm happy with the three points. It was the same the last time in the Championship, beating Hibs and Rangers, putting 10 past Cowdenbeath etc was great but another two that spring to mind was going to Alloa and winning by a fortunate goal late on when an Eckersly free kick onto the box was allowed to harmlessly bounce into the net by everybody and another at QoS when we managed another fortunate late winner when Zefuik (I think) 'fooling' the keeper with a fluffed header but it still went in despite the keeper almost clawing the ball of the line. We got the three points in both cases and at the end of the day that was all that mattered in our romp to the title. I can't see this season being any different so one good win and one bad win will do for me at this stage.  

Excellent post. To win this league you have to sometimes win Ugly. Like we did the last time. Points are the more important. 

2 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Okay, so I fell into the trap of posting a rant more than a structured and considered response.  Whilst we won, I was very disappointed with our performance which mirrored last season's efforts and I cannot understand how many of us appear to be accepting it and finding excuses for doing so.  As for my accuracy, in contrast, there are plenty posts that agree with my overall sentiment.  We were  lucky.

There is no given right to go to places like Arbroath and walk all over them. Take a look at their home record over the past few years. It tells its own story.  I’m happy with the win over a team who made life difficult for us. The stats for the game show just how in charge we were.  

Last week we had two flying wingers that got at the fullbacks at every opportunity. Even when they didn’t have the ball they got wide and opened huge gaps through the middle. Tonight we lost Ginnelly after 7 minutes and with no Roberts we looked completely lost. Frears a completely

different type of wide player. With neither Roberts / Ginnelly we’ll

be feeding off scraps and hitting an hoping.

11 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Do you understand football and how it works? 

What an absolute arrogance. If you think Hearts did well then clearly you don’t understand how football should be played. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

What an absolute arrogance. If you think Hearts did well then clearly you don’t understand how football should be played. 

So winning the game isn't doing well? 

:vrface:

You learn more from a tough game than an easy one, and you have to hope the players and coaches learnt quite a bit last night. Pretty much everything went in our favour vs Dundee, the danger after that was complacency. We were the better team last night and deserved the win, but complacency shouldn't be an issue going into our next league game.

Ex member of the SaS

Ok calmed down now and a win is a win, winning after playing badly is a good sign. However after reading some of the above posts there are many who will do anything to make us look good. The game was dire no other word for it. We got out of jail free and they could easily have won that, anyone who thinks ( and I read all the posts about winning 7-0 etc ) we will scoosh this league like before, needs a reality check.  People saying teams like this will step up, yes it's true, BUT our players are already a step up on these guys and if they can't step up to compete then they should not be professional footballers.

The game will be different against Hibs but the players need to have a word and look seriously at how they performed as individuals.

Too many meaningless passes around the backs, too many misplaced passes, and not enough movement up front. IF Walker and Gino are now out injured we will struggle.

I watched the game a second time.   It wasn't as slow and bad as I thought.   No idea why I thought so negatively about it.   I was expecting better gameplay with having a whole week to prepare.  

There was however a lack of making the right decisions on passes.   We could have got more chances and possibly more goals that way.   Sometimes the  players got stuck with the  ball at their feet, then lost it.   Our set pieces were still lacking as well.  Need an improvement on delivery, or communication to where the ball is getting crossed to. 

I liked popescu last night.  His runs with the ball were better,  got a header at a corner even though it wasn't on target.   He made a key tackle in the second half 👍 in the penalty area. 

We can easily improve in the next match.  

Scottie Wanshot.

Wighton should be starting games, because Boyce doesn't look like scoring, unless its a penalty. He's totally lost it, after his display tonight.

complete control
47 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I watched the game a second time.   It wasn't as slow and bad as I thought.   No idea why I thought so negatively about it.   I was expecting better gameplay with having a whole week to prepare.  

There was however a lack of making the right decisions on passes.   We could have got more chances and possibly more goals that way.   Sometimes the  players got stuck with the  ball at their feet, then lost it.   Our set pieces were still lacking as well.  Need an improvement on delivery, or communication to where the ball is getting crossed to. 

I liked popescu last night.  His runs with the ball were better,  got a header at a corner even though it wasn't on target.   He made a key tackle in the second half 👍 in the penalty area. 

We can easily improve in the next match.  

Why did u watch that pish again  ??

26 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

Wighton should be starting games, because Boyce doesn't look like scoring, unless its a penalty. He's totally lost it, after his display tonight.

:rofl:

Mind boggling.

2 minutes ago, complete control said:

Why did u watch that pish again  ??

I always watch games two or three times due to alot happening in games.  I don't like to make a final opinion on just watching it once.   

Honestly, from my point of view it was disappointing but it was a blip in performance.   It can easily change next week closer to what we saw in the Dundee match.   Although it won't be all out attack.   Just some better decisions needed from the players. 

Scottie Wanshot.
2 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

we could have been down 3 - 0 at halftime against a decent team 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

So winning the game isn't doing well? 

:vrface:

Here we go again.  Yes, the fact that 3 points were secured is important, but as we're watching a game of football and not merely tossing a coin, surely the manner in which we achieved these points is worth debating.

highlandjambo3

Forgot to mention this earlier..........did anyone catch the Arbroath manager’s interview before the game when asked about how Covid is effecting the game?  His reply was something along the lines of “it will effect hearts more as they have 5,000 fans” (or something similar), my response was eh!! Wtf is he talking about......he then went off on some bumbling rant about something else completely different and, his answer about Covid was not followed up.  He’s not actually very good at facing a camera during an interview, from what I have seen last night and previous, he has about 2 lines prepared, the rest is cuffed hence his time in front of camera is always short.......but hey, according to everyone interviewed last night, he’s a legend in management of football clubs.  Managed shit as far as I can tell but, I suppose shit is a word not allowed to be used in an interview.......unless it’s vermin related.

I happen to think that missing Naismith is impacting on the flow of the side

Of course not having the wide players did not help last night but for me Naismith and even Haring playing would strengthen the side as might Irving

12 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I happen to think that missing Naismith is impacting on the flow of the side

Of course not having the wide players did not help last night but for me Naismith and even Haring playing would strengthen the side as might Irving

Still can't believe he never gave Naisy a run out but hey ho 3 points.

15 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Let us not kid ourselves - That was an horrific performance yet a bit of quality from Wighton got us off the hook...We need to do better away from home. More self-belief, more confidence, more arrogance. Smith said it was windy, so why all the long balls? regardless that one got us a goal.

Robbie said the reason for the long balls was the pitch was really heavy. It is difficult to get a passing game going on such a sticky, heavy pitch.