• Dawnrazor

• IronJambo

• hmfcbilly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Fun Boaby said:

I think you need to pay cash for that sort of thing 

“I think” with that username you’re definitely in the know. 😂

I think if I was owed thousands of pounds and some twat didn't want to pay I'd be fully behind some big, ugly hard feckers doing what they neeed to do to get me my money!

Is this such a black and white thing? My job, by title and description, is essentially a debt collector, however for HMRC for unpaid tax. We obviously use far better tactics than most, but are debt collectors at the end of the day. None of us really want to pay tax, do we? But we have to at the end of the day. Therefore, I'd argue that for the most part, what I do is far from scummy.

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Therefore, I'd argue that for the most part, what I do is far from scummy.

I'd agree, there's a big difference between can't pay and won't pay, if you can't fair enough, leeway should be given, if you won't, **** you, everything should be done to recoup the money owed. 

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah, not someone else’s dosh though. We all like nice things in life and I’ve always been a sucker for cars. Would also always like an even better car than I have, but I live within my means.

If you take a loan out and can afford the payments, not really sure what the issue is? Granted, some folk do go mad and accept every bit of credit thats thrown at them but there's also plenty folk who decide to borrow a few quid as they don't readily have the cash in lump sum format for whatever reason but can easily afford monthly payments on a loan. One example could be that you get a new job, hefty payrise and, after a year your probation  is done and you feel relatively safe and happy in that. You want to borrow 15k to buy a new car but don't have 15k in the bank but you can comfortably afford the £300 repayments over say, 5 years. You either take the loan and the risks attached or you spend the next 4 years saving up so you can buy that car outright. Each to their own and I can see plus points to both options but ultimately, its personal preference i suppose!

8 hours ago, Herbert said:

It's ridiculous to put yourself in a vulnerable position for a bit of metal, What's manageable 1 month might not be next month then you risk losing it and having a massive debt hanging over you. It's like the people that live in overdraft, Imagine the chaos if the bank turned round 1 day and said we're taking that off you. 

First highlighted point...is a matter of opinion, to which you are perfectly entitled to.  Theres an element of risk associated with many things in life, borrowing money is just another one. 

Your 2nd point about folk living in their overdraft...quite often completely different circumstances to folk who borrow a bit cash for home improvements/car purchase etc. My view is that quite often folk who live in their overdraft have no choice, especially if you only have one income in the household.  Of course there are always exceptions to a rule which means there are folk who will also be irresponsible with available credit facilities. 

Weakened Offender

I used to to go out with someone whose sister used to tap the provvie man. Spent a few Friday tea times in her house with the TV and lights off as he knocked on the door. I wouldn't call him a bully though, he was actually a pretty easy tap if I remember correctly. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

57 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'd agree, there's a big difference between can't pay and won't pay, if you can't fair enough, leeway should be given, if you won't, **** you, everything should be done to recoup the money owed. 

Definitely. Thankfully, we have plenty resources to do some detective work as it were, and try and figure out if someone is a chancer or not. Most cases, it is genuine people struggling a bit, particular in these times, and we always do what we can to support every customer as much as possible.

8 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Reminds me of a mate of mine from school who was constantly skint and terrible with his money, and then lo and behold he manages to get a credit card, not even sure he was working at the time. The very day he got it he swore blind it would only be used for emergencies, never touch it etc. etc. By that same night he had already stuck a pair of jeans on it without even bothering to try them on and also got a Chinese take-away!

And here was me thinking most Chinese takeaways were cash only 👀🤪

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, hmfcbilly said:

And here was me thinking most Chinese takeaways were cash only 👀🤪

Just made me think of the Chinese takeaway I use. Think I might have posted this at the time, but at the start of lockdown, they put a sign up saying “Cash Only due to Covid”... 🤔 eh, something not right there🤪

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Is this such a black and white thing? My job, by title and description, is essentially a debt collector, however for HMRC for unpaid tax. We obviously use far better tactics than most, but are debt collectors at the end of the day. None of us really want to pay tax, do we? But we have to at the end of the day. Therefore, I'd argue that for the most part, what I do is far from scummy.

I’m still awaiting my P800. Gonna tell your colleagues in that department to hurry up before I send the bailiffs round. 😂

A Boy Named Crow

I don't know if it's a thing in the UK, but over here there's a growing problem with Buy Now Pay Later (Afterpay are the big brand) lending. I used to work for one of the smaller providers,  they'd shifted across from a famously unpleasant Radio Rentals style business model to one that dressed debt up as a glitzy, fin-tech, got an app for that product.

They'd seldom mention the account fees,  late fees, the fees for anything they could think of... They also didn't show your cumulative debt up front on the app, just what this latest purchase would add to it. You could almost say they didn't WANT you to know what you owed!

I did a quick calculation on the purchase of a fridge.  It really wasn't hard to get up to about 200% interest.  I quit soon after and now work for a banking regulator. 

My point is,  debt collectors may be scum, but I'd target pricks like the company above first.  Companies that prey on the financially unsavvy and basically ruin lives.

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

29 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just made me think of the Chinese takeaway I use. Think I might have posted this at the time, but at the start of lockdown, they put a sign up saying “Cash Only due to Covid”... 🤔 eh, something not right there🤪

Maybe they had a bit of foresight and feared they would be shut down or business would be slower so wanted to get as much cash in as possible?!! As it transpired, most takeaway places have been as busy if not busier than ever during this pandemic. All the Chinese takeaways down here in Galashiels are strictly cash only and its bugger all to do with covid as its been the case since I moved here 7 years ago. Not one for conspiracy theories but a more cynical person might think it was to avoid paying tax on the majority of their takings??👀 🤔. Its not just the Chinese takeaways... .the local chippy is the same (common Italian surname begins with C, has ROLL in the middle and ends in A)!  maybe its just a borders takeaway thing😂😂 although as the old saying goes....cash is king apparently!!!

Nowadays we live in a society of "the monthly budget". Things get paid for on a monthly basis as opposed to yearly.

The old "ach, that's only £19.99 that monthly subscription", it all adds up.

Fewer people tend to save and have the mindset, "I have 5 months of bills saved, just incase", which is what we should be doing, you know, just incase...

Seems I can stop looking for that money tree now.

To get to our local supermarket we have to walk through one of these new build private housing estates. Apart from the fact all the houses look the same it looks as if it's part of the conditions of purchase that owners have a minimum of two large cars or people carriers parked in the driveway.

I've been wondering if we were missing  that money tree because these houses were going for about 350k when built a few years ago at the peak of the market bubble. So as well as huge mortgages, probably in negative equity, cars worth about 30k minimum in the driveway, nobody's telling me they are ALL solicitors and top notch surgeons. Turns

out its it's mostly tick and it's all about to come crashing down for some who forgot the basic principle of saving for a rainy day.

The modern day home owner will not know what's hit them if interest rates rise.

N Lincs Jambo
4 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think if I was owed thousands of pounds and some twat didn't want to pay I'd be fully behind some big, ugly hard feckers doing what they neeed to do to get me my money!

And if you owe that but people owe you far more then where does it go?

9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Sorry but your post is way off.

For starters, there isn't such a thing as a CCJ in Scotland. A Default Notice will be served to you quite easily (and for an insignificant amount) and will stay on your file for 6 years. 

An account with missed payments will stay on your account for 6 year after closure. 

To summarise, your credit "rating" is effected by missed payments and defaulted accounts for at least 6 years. 

Your credit rating will bounce back easily after you have no negative history showing. 

If you're going to lecture folk make sure you know your facts. ©JIH 😉

1. There is an equivalent to a CCJ in Scotland but we call it a Scottish court decree.

2. A debt stays on your file in Scotland for 5 years not 6.

A Boy Named Crow
28 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Seems I can stop looking for that money tree now.

To get to our local supermarket we have to walk through one of these new build private housing estates. Apart from the fact all the houses look the same it looks as if it's part of the conditions of purchase that owners have a minimum of two large cars or people carriers parked in the driveway.

I've been wondering if we were missing  that money tree because these houses were going for about 350k when built a few years ago at the peak of the market bubble. So as well as huge mortgages, probably in negative equity, cars worth about 30k minimum in the driveway, nobody's telling me they are ALL solicitors and top notch surgeons. Turns

out its it's mostly tick and it's all about to come crashing down for some who forgot the basic principle of saving for a rainy day.

The modern day home owner will not know what's hit them if interest rates rise.

It's like the credit crunch, the GFC, the banking crisis never happened. I used to work with a guy whose sole aim in life was to pay off the mortgage and get "secure". He remembered double digit interest rates, and he wasn't going to let himself get caught - smart guy!

Maybe The Big Short should be on the school curriculum...

I have a very common forename-surname combination. That coupled with my DoB seemed to be sufficient for some complete charlatans called Cabot Financial to start sending me demands for payment - completely out of the blue. The debt related to something in Nottingham and, as I've never even been to Nottingham, could quite happily tell them to GTF.

The demands kept coming - even PMed someone on here who has a gold BMW story to his name for advice - and I eventually got them shaken off. Can't recall but I think I might even have got some compensation from them for the stress they'd put me through.

5 hours ago, Locky said:

Definitely. Thankfully, we have plenty resources to do some detective work as it were, and try and figure out if someone is a chancer or not. Most cases, it is genuine people struggling a bit, particular in these times, and we always do what we can to support every customer as much as possible.

Is it still the same hiring policy. Takes a Dodger to catch a Dodger? :)

6 hours ago, Boof said:

I have a very common forename-surname combination. That coupled with my DoB seemed to be sufficient for some complete charlatans called Cabot Financial to start sending me demands for payment - completely out of the blue. The debt related to something in Nottingham and, as I've never even been to Nottingham, could quite happily tell them to GTF.

The demands kept coming - even PMed someone on here who has a gold BMW story to his name for advice - and I eventually got them shaken off. Can't recall but I think I might even have got some compensation from them for the stress they'd put me through.

I wouldn't say Boof was that common a name.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I wish. They ****ed up my wages and I got a letter telling me I owed them money within the first 2 months of starting for them. :lol: ****s.

9 hours ago, graygo said:

If you're going to lecture folk make sure you know your facts. ©JIH 😉

1. There is an equivalent to a CCJ in Scotland but we call it a Scottish court decree.

2. A debt stays on your file in Scotland for 5 years not 6.

I wasn't lecturing, I just saying he was way off and he still is with your information.

When was a Scottish court decree introduced? The equivalent was a Default 20 or so years ago when I was collecting them but it was never ever a CCJ.

When did they change how long the debt stays there? What's the logistics behind it and how do they manage to differentiate that from England when the lenders will often be the same? You change to an English postcode and suddenly you have another year on it?

Genuinely interested as I was really up on this when I sorted myself out. I did actually re-google info but it's obviously just given me English information.

Edited by IronJambo

8 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's like the credit crunch, the GFC, the banking crisis never happened. I used to work with a guy whose sole aim in life was to pay off the mortgage and get "secure". He remembered double digit interest rates, and he wasn't going to let himself get caught - smart guy!

Maybe The Big Short should be on the school curriculum...

When I bought my house back in 1991 the fixed rate I was offered was 11%and it was considered a bargain. 

Four years later when I sold up and bought my flat it was about half that iirc. 

Can you imagine the carnage if these kind of interest rates returned. 

Obviously I'm no expert and there is probably a good reason why high interest rates won't return. 

I hope so anyway. 🤔

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Don't know if it's the same nowadays, but back in the 70's & 80's my Sister's first husband was a HMRC tax investigator (or whatever they were called), he knew every dodge, every scam & every loophole and used every single one of them to his own advantage 😄, he was the biggest tax cheat I've ever known.

7 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I wasn't lecturing, I just saying he was way off and he still is with your information.

When was a Scottish court decree introduced? The equivalent was a Default 20 or so years ago when I was collecting them but it was never ever a CCJ.

When did they change how long the debt stays there? What's the logistics behind it and how do they manage to differentiate that from England when the lenders will often be the same? You change to an English postcode and suddenly you have another year on it?

Genuinely interested as I was really up on this when I sorted myself out. I did actually re-google info but it's obviously just given me English information.

https://www.scotlanddebt.co.uk/articles/personal-debt/what-is-a-decree-or-ccj-and-how-could-it-affect-me

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/S/factsheets/Pages/statute-barred-debt-scotland/time-limits-for-recovering-debts.aspx

36 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You responded to me initially. I was clear that it was based on anecdotal information. Aside from using English terminology I can't really see too much that's wrong though. To say the info was way off seems strange. You seem to more or less agree whilst saying you disagree 🤷🏻‍♂️

22 hours ago, Smack said:

From what I understand from someone who works in the legitimate collection game, dodging an unsecured consumer debt is surprisingly easy.

If it's low-ish 4 figures most companies don't bother with the hassle of getting the CCJ. Debt gets sold on to a debt collection agency for pennies in the pound. They have very limited powers. If they can't collect they sell it on again, and again. Usually the consumer will be offered a settlement of a fraction of the initial debt. If they hold out long enough it sort of expires or something. Time barred maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apparently the credit rating bounces back quicker than you would think. 

All anecdotal mind you.

There's that saying along the lines of, if someone owes you £500 they've got a problem. If they owe you £500k, you've got a problem.

Anyway, here's a Celtic supporting Glaswegian's view on debt. Intended to lighten the mood but could prove controversial with the strong views people hold on comedians!

Edited by Smack

15 hours ago, Herbert said:

I don't buy this, You can make a pot of soup for about 2 quid, shops like farmfoods and Iceland you can do a weeks shop for about 20-30quid easily, so people that end up thousands in debt and use this excuse are full of shite. The government aren't to blame for people being irresponsible with money, I used to be so bad with money I would have to walk 6miles to work and 6miles back and live on supernoodles because I would spend my monthly food and bus money in the pub. A person on 70 a week can buy food pay a tenner into gas and electric and get a weekly bus ticket. That's the kind of thing welfare is for, not buying fags,weed paying a phone contract etc 

The thing with Farmfoods and Iceland is everyone goes on about how shit and unhealthy their meals are, how they contribute to the UK's obesity problem, how folk shouldn't be eating from these places. 

So it appears to be "Have money, eat healthy" or "Be poor, eat shite". 

If you borrow money, you should have to pay it back. But debt collectors shouldn't be bullshiting and lying to get their cash back. 

15 hours ago, Herbert said:

I don't buy this, You can make a pot of soup for about 2 quid, shops like farmfoods and Iceland you can do a weeks shop for about 20-30quid easily, so people that end up thousands in debt and use this excuse are full of shite. The government aren't to blame for people being irresponsible with money, I used to be so bad with money I would have to walk 6miles to work and 6miles back and live on supernoodles because I would spend my monthly food and bus money in the pub. A person on 70 a week can buy food pay a tenner into gas and electric and get a weekly bus ticket. That's the kind of thing welfare is for, not buying fags,weed paying a phone contract etc 

The thing with Farmfoods and Iceland is everyone goes on about how shit and unhealthy their meals are, how they contribute to the UK's obesity problem, how folk shouldn't be eating from these places. 

So it appears to be "Have money, eat healthy" or "Be poor, eat shite". 

If you borrow money, you should have to pay it back. But debt collectors shouldn't be bullshiting and lying to get their cash back. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Don't know if it's the same nowadays, but back in the 70's & 80's my Sister's first husband was a HMRC tax investigator (or whatever they were called), he knew every dodge, every scam & every loophole and used every single one of them to his own advantage 😄, he was the biggest tax cheat I've ever known.

Funnily enough I had a builder from the west side of Edinburgh in to do an extension on my house 2 years ago and it turned out to be an absolute disaster. Great reviews on trusted trader, came down, new our budget and promised the earth so gave him the gig. His guys worked about 4 hrs a day so it quickly fell behind schedule. When I raised my concerns early doors he just fobbed it off with if I pull them up they will just leave! Never filled me with confidence. Ended up having enough and putting them off the job mid October and not even half finished. They left us with a leaking roof for over a month as he didn't pay the roofer to come and finish the job, after 10 days his 2 joiners still hadn't fully stripped out and fitted my new kitchen and the final straw was when I was having to pay his suppliers direct for the materials as he never had a pot to piss in. It was then a few of the subbies (who I paid direct out our budget) told me the guy had an interesting past. He used to tell me himself that he was a tax inspector in a previous career. He didn't tell me he defrauded the revenue out of hundreds of thousands and did time for it though! A quick Google of his name brought up his history from old news stories. The problem was he shares the same name as our current no.1 goal keeper so unless you put tax inspector at the end of his name you only got football stories! Sorry for digressing, moral of the story i guess is stay away from that ex tax inspector builder if you have any sense and its another story thst lays claim to not trusting a tax inspector (or ex one!)

11 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

And if you owe that but people owe you far more then where does it go?

It goes as far as it needs and people are paid what they're owed.

21 hours ago, Tazio said:

Scottish Power set Scott and Co onto me a few years ago for non payment of a bill amounting to not much over £100. A quick check of my bank account and cheque book quickly confirmed I’d paid it and it was an error from Scottish Power. I got in touch with them and they told me it wasn’t their concern any more as they’re basically sold the debt to Scott and Co. it took several phone calls and angry emails to get it called off. I understand the debt collectors have a job but by Christ they don’t like letting it go once they own the debt, even if it doesn’t actually exist. 

That reminds me.....  I once done a pish at the back door of Scott & Co's Edinburgh office.

Sounds like they deserved it

13 hours ago, jonesy said:

While there are definitely cases of neglect and bad fortune, there's something, somewhere, has gone very wrong if you cannot afford to feed your kids.

Folk shouldn't be allowed out of school until they can demonstrate basic skills such as planning a weekly budget or cooking three or four simple, cheap, nutritious meals.

I was on unbelievably bad money in Spain just before moving back to Edinburgh. Still fed and clothed two children, kept a car running and a roof over our heads. Decisions had to be made at times about whether to turn the heating on over the winter, but there's always another jumper to put on. Switched from Carrefour to Lidl. Didn't eat out. Got a ribbing from colleagues for using a 'dumb phone' - still do. Skipped a few meals but made sure no one else in the household did. It was hard bloody work, but it worked. Even had enough to bung a monthly tenner to FoH.

Good luck to all those who need it with money, being without real necessities is shite. But at the same time, don't plead poverty when you're running about with a £600 mobile phone, £100 trainers and shove takeaway/ready meals down yer throat every night.

Whole different topic but it amazes me they don't teach a class called "Life Skills" or whatever in secondary school for stuff like this instead of some of the extra ***** my boys get over and above their subjects. A teacher told one of them not to hold doors open for the girls because of "equality" FFS. School Careers Officer advice was also a complete waste of time in my experience.

Just now, CostaJambo said:

Whole different topic but it amazes me they don't teach a class called "Life Skills" or whatever in secondary school for stuff like this instead of some of the extra ***** my boys get over and above their subjects. A teacher told one of them not to hold doors open for the girls because of "equality" FFS. School Careers Officer advice was also a complete waste of time in my experience.

This.

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

A number of years ago between finishing my undergrad degree and starting my masters a couple of months later I found myself in a bit of a financial pickle and couldn't pay the council tax I owed for the two months where I wasn't classed as a student. The debt was passed to Scott & Co and quickly rose to over double its original value. They hounded me with threats pretty much non stop until I eventually got hold of the money to pay them off. I'd had to pawn the telly, etc, just to keep up the mortgage payments and was living on happy shopper grub, so things were pretty miserable without the constant bullying from the debt collectors.

Meanwhile my mate who was a pretty successful racing car driver was signing a lucrative sponsorship deal with Scott & Co to have their name plasteed across the side of his car.

There's something wrong somewhere when folk are being penalised for being skint and the enforcers of this misery ars spunking fortunes on ****ing racing car drivers.

Hope the ***** ****ing die.

27 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

A number of years ago between finishing my undergrad degree and starting my masters a couple of months later I found myself in a bit of a financial pickle and couldn't pay the council tax I owed for the two months where I wasn't classed as a student. The debt was passed to Scott & Co and quickly rose to over double its original value. They hounded me with threats pretty much non stop until I eventually got hold of the money to pay them off. I'd had to pawn the telly, etc, just to keep up the mortgage payments and was living on happy shopper grub, so things were pretty miserable without the constant bullying from the debt collectors.

Meanwhile my mate who was a pretty successful racing car driver was signing a lucrative sponsorship deal with Scott & Co to have their name plasteed across the side of his car.

There's something wrong somewhere when folk are being penalised for being skint and the enforcers of this misery ars spunking fortunes on ****ing racing car drivers.

Not a lover of Scott & Co myself if truth be told.

Back in the Poll Tax days, I always found them to be overly keen to arrest your wages or freeze your bank account until you paid up.

Sawdust Caesar
16 hours ago, Locky said:

Were you in DMB in Elgin House? If so we may know each other.

10 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Were you in DMB in Elgin House? If so we may know each other.

Grayfield mate. Only for 2 years though before the move to Regional.

3 hours ago, Smack said:

You responded to me initially. I was clear that it was based on anecdotal information. Aside from using English terminology I can't really see too much that's wrong though. To say the info was way off seems strange. You seem to more or less agree whilst saying you disagree 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apart from a lot of it?

You said:

"If it's low-ish 4 figures most companies don't bother with the hassle of getting the CCJ.

Apparently the credit rating bounces back quicker than you would think."

You'll easily get a CCJ/Scottish equivalent for a figure of tens.

For as long as those things are on your file your credit rating is gubbed. That's at least 5 years, and then add on the endorsements on accounts that are just showing a string of late payments that'll hang around longer after they finally have closure on them. Maybe that's quicker than you think and we both have a different idea of quick. 

Sorry, but I'm not making the point for no reason and I'm honestly not trying to be a dick. There could be daft wee laddies reading your post thinking that they can spank as many credit cards as they can and not pay them with little consequence. 

luckyBatistuta
22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not a lover of Scott & Co myself if truth be told.

Back in the Poll Tax days, I always found them to be overly keen to arrest your wages or freeze your bank account until you paid up.

Also had a run in with Scott & Co back in the day . It wasn’t that I couldn’t afford to pay the Poll Tax, I just refused to, as I didn’t agree with it. Roll forward and there was a knock on the door one afternoon. Opened the door and the guy stood there, asked if I was luckyBatistuta😉 Without thinking I said yes☹️ I was gutted, but at the end of the day, it was my debt and it had to be paid.

Sawdust Caesar
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

Grayfield mate. Only for 2 years though before the move to Regional.

Cheers. When I was in Elgin House I was happy to see quite a few Jambos in there, reckon we well outnumbered the Hibbies.

If you've not yet moved in to QEH then wear something warm when you do, It's arctic in here.

43 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Cheers. When I was in Elgin House I was happy to see quite a few Jambos in there, reckon we well outnumbered the Hibbies.

If you've not yet moved in to QEH then wear something warm when you do, It's arctic in here.

So much for the state of the art technology to keep the building a comfortable temperature. :lol:

There were a few in Grayfield too, but quite a few Hibbies also. I came in with a whole wave of new starts, and sadly a lot of them weren't into football. Weirdos.

55 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Also had a run in with Scott & Co back in the day . It wasn’t that I couldn’t afford to pay the Poll Tax, I just refused to, as I didn’t agree with it. Roll forward and there was a knock on the door one afternoon. Opened the door and the guy stood there, asked if I was luckyBatistuta😉 Without thinking I said yes☹️ I was gutted, but at the end of the day, it was my debt and it had to be paid.

Same here, and like many during that time, we could afford to pay but refused to because of the complete unfairness of the poll tax.

I've heard that many people got theirs wrote off, not me, paid every penny I was due and the rest, and like you said it was my/our debt, it wasn't a case that I was trying to get off with it, because the council/Scott & Co had you every which way, they were going to get their money from you one way or another, I just made sure that I never willingly paid the feckers.

Council tax, different kettle of fish entirely.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

But you paid up👍