Top Posters In This Topic

• luckyBatistuta

• Dawnrazor

• IronJambo

• hmfcbilly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta

I don’t know how some folk sleep at night with the debt they run up. If you can’t afford it then don’t buy it. 

7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I don’t know how some folk sleep at night with the debt they run up. If you can’t afford it then don’t buy it. 

Circumstances change. 

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Circumstances change. 

Yeah I know, was really thinking of the debt that some folk I know have hanging over them and there really is no need for them to have it. We would all like to have fancy cars, phones etc, but if you can’t afford to have them, then don’t go into debt for them, then sit and moan to others that you have to pay the said debt back. I love watching Can’t Pay, We’ll Take It Away...so many sob stories that are a load of bollocks.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah I know, was really thinking of the debt that some folk I know have hanging over them and there really is no need for them to have it. We would all like to have fancy cars, phones etc, but if you can’t afford to have them, then don’t go into debt for them, then sit and moan to others that you have to pay the said debt back. I love watching Can’t Pay, We’ll Take It Away...so many sob stories that are a load of bollocks.

If government didn't give us things we couldn't afford. Then nobody could afford anything nice. 

49 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If government didn't give us things we couldn't afford. Then nobody could afford anything nice. 

🙂 ... I must be thick ... read this a few times ... still don't understand ?

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Got to keep doing our bit for the economy. Plus keeping the banks profits and bonuses healthy.

58 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

People go into debt to keep up with the Joneses. Imagine the shame of living in a new build estate and not having a range rover evoque or bmw on the drive. 

From what I understand from someone who works in the legitimate collection game, dodging an unsecured consumer debt is surprisingly easy.

If it's low-ish 4 figures most companies don't bother with the hassle of getting the CCJ. Debt gets sold on to a debt collection agency for pennies in the pound. They have very limited powers. If they can't collect they sell it on again, and again. Usually the consumer will be offered a settlement of a fraction of the initial debt. If they hold out long enough it sort of expires or something. Time barred maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apparently the credit rating bounces back quicker than you would think. 

All anecdotal mind you.

luckyBatistuta
19 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

I must be too🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Got to keep doing our bit for the economy. Plus keeping the banks profits and bonuses healthy.

Not got a problem with people taking debt, but it’s manageable debt that you can afford. Too many people burying their heads and thinking it will just go away.

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

People go into debt to keep up with the Joneses. Imagine the shame of living in a new build estate and not having a range rover evoque or bmw on the drive. 

This

11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not got a problem with people taking debt, but it’s manageable debt that you can afford. Too many people burying their heads and thinking it will just go away.

Just being flippant, Batty.

We do live in age though wher the whole economy is debt driven.

Which in turn leads to over-stretching to keep up with their peers.

Better car, phone, bigger TV, holidays, clothes....easy credit soon swallows people up.

Been there and done it. Almost a thing of the past, nearly clear now.

14 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Granted some folk are like that on new estates but having lived on 2 in the past (dont now) my experience was most folk had more expensive makes of car because they generally could afford it or had 'manageable' debt. Ive got what some folk would class as an expensive car on my drive. I have that car because my wife and I like what we class as a nice car to drive, no other reason. Couldnt care less if the neighbour has a newer one, infact good luck to them if thats what they want to spend their dosh on. Also, there was  a time i  when all i had was a  kia rio on my new build drive along with a work van and felt absolutely no shame either 🤣🤣

luckyBatistuta
19 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Granted some folk are like that on new estates but having lived on 2 in the past (dont now) my experience was most folk had more expensive makes of car because they generally could afford it or had 'manageable' debt. Ive got what some folk would class as an expensive car on my drive. I have that car because my wife and I like what we class as a nice car to drive, no other reason. Couldnt care less if the neighbour has a newer one, infact good luck to them if thats what they want to spend their dosh on. Also, there was  a time i  when all i had was a  kia rio on my new build drive along with a work van and felt absolutely no shame either 🤣🤣

Yeah, not someone else’s dosh though. We all like nice things in life and I’ve always been a sucker for cars. Would also always like an even better car than I have, but I live within my means.

When your washing machine or fridge packs in, you need to replace it immediately. 

Same goes for a failed or expensive MOT for your car.

Or if your pay is a few days late and you have bills due.

So people take whatever instant loan they can. Debt is very easy to fall into.

Of course, there are people that just spend wildly and stick it on their card and try to ignore their situation.

But this happens at every single socio-economic level.

I've know people earning a solid six figures that were still somehow up to their eyeballs in debt.

Folk chase an aspirational lifestyle that they can't afford and are encouraged to do so by advertisers, the media and the government.

With the cost of living on the rise (and about to rise sharply), debt is even easier to fall into. Especially when banks are becoming more reluctant to offer easy loans. People are forced into higher interest loans from other providers.

Modern capitalism is built on debt. 

15 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

It's ridiculous to put yourself in a vulnerable position for a bit of metal, What's manageable 1 month might not be next month then you risk losing it and having a massive debt hanging over you. It's like the people that live in overdraft, Imagine the chaos if the bank turned round 1 day and said we're taking that off you. 

luckyBatistuta
55 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just being flippant, Batty.

We do live in age though wher the whole economy is debt driven.

Which in turn leads to over-stretching to keep up with their peers.

Better car, phone, bigger TV, holidays, clothes....easy credit soon swallows people up.

Been there and done it. Almost a thing of the past, nearly clear now.

Understand that bud, but you still have to live within your means. We all want the better car, phone, tv etc, but if you’re going to take on that extra debt, then you have to accept that you will pay it back, not go moaning about people hassling you to get their money back. I’ve taken debt throughout my adult life, but it’s always been manageable debt. I’ve never overstretched myself and certainly not for materialistic purposes.

Sawdust Caesar
1 hour ago, Smack said:

From what I understand from someone who works in the legitimate collection game, dodging an unsecured consumer debt is surprisingly easy.

If it's low-ish 4 figures most companies don't bother with the hassle of getting the CCJ. Debt gets sold on to a debt collection agency for pennies in the pound. They have very limited powers. If they can't collect they sell it on again, and again. Usually the consumer will be offered a settlement of a fraction of the initial debt. If they hold out long enough it sort of expires or something. Time barred maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️

All anecdotal mind you.

Yes, in Scotland after 5 years it is too late for an unsecured creditor to take recovery action if these 3 criteria are met.  They haven't been granted a court decree. No repayments have been made in the previous 5 years. The debtor has not contacted the lender and admitted that they owe the money. Unsecured debt can include credit/store cards, personal loans and utility arrears.

If a decree has been obtained by the creditor then they will have 20 years to collect it.

Only ever had one interaction with a debt collector and can only agree with the title of the thread, they are scum.

Edinburgh Council 'lost' a council tax payment, didn't contact me and passed it over to Scott & Co. They chased, harassed and threatened me for almost a year despite Edinburgh council 'finding' my payment and applying it to my account. Scott & Co attempted to take it to court to recover their costs which were 5 times the missing payment, I involved CAB and Scott & Co very quickly admitted a clerical error and wiped all record of it. God knows how much money they make off folk that don't stand their ground or just panic and pay!

Reminds me of a mate of mine from school who was constantly skint and terrible with his money, and then lo and behold he manages to get a credit card, not even sure he was working at the time. The very day he got it he swore blind it would only be used for emergencies, never touch it etc. etc. By that same night he had already stuck a pair of jeans on it without even bothering to try them on and also got a Chinese take-away!

2 hours ago, Smack said:

All anecdotal mind you.

Sorry but your post is way off.

For starters, there isn't such a thing as a CCJ in Scotland. A Default Notice will be served to you quite easily (and for an insignificant amount) and will stay on your file for 6 years. 

An account with missed payments will stay on your account for 6 year after closure. 

To summarise, your credit "rating" is effected by missed payments and defaulted accounts for at least 6 years. 

Your credit rating will bounce back easily after you have no negative history showing. 

The Real Maroonblood
55 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Reminds me of a mate of mine from school who was constantly skint and terrible with his money, and then lo and behold he manages to get a credit card, not even sure he was working at the time. The very day he got it he swore blind it would only be used for emergencies, never touch it etc. etc. By that same night he had already stuck a pair of jeans on it without even bothering to try them on and also got a Chinese take-away!

Is there a happy ending to this?

Scottish Power set Scott and Co onto me a few years ago for non payment of a bill amounting to not much over £100. A quick check of my bank account and cheque book quickly confirmed I’d paid it and it was an error from Scottish Power. I got in touch with them and they told me it wasn’t their concern any more as they’re basically sold the debt to Scott and Co. it took several phone calls and angry emails to get it called off. I understand the debt collectors have a job but by Christ they don’t like letting it go once they own the debt, even if it doesn’t actually exist. 

I worked as a debt collector for ten years and was very good at it, the money was excellent if you hit your monthly target. I find it funny the amount of people that thought we were the scum, yet we were the ones collecting bad debts people usually deliberately ran up with no intention of paying. Doing a service to the finance sector having the decency of offering settlement figures or payment arrangements is not the act of scum. I'd say 9 times out of 10 the debtors were a 'wont pay', rather than a 'cant pay'. You find that people who got into debt through a change of circumstances usually deal with it pro-actively and don't require to be chased.

I was done with it after ten years though. Government legislation has made it a customer service job and you can't even put pressure on individuals who are totally at it. People can basically pay back debt at a rate they want, rather than paying being enforced to pay as much as they can.

It's a shame, as it was a very skilled job back in the day, that took years to master. I mind tracking a bloke down to his local pub about half 8 at night, got his brother to pay his 4k debt off a credit card because I put the fear of god into the guy when I told him what would happen to his house and car. I couldn't have actually done anything to his possessions but he didn't know that.😎

Edited by OmiyaHearts

1 minute ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I worked as a debt collector for ten years and was very good at it, the money was excellent if you hit your monthly target. I find it funny the amount of people that thought we were the scum, yet we were the ones collecting bad debts people usually deliberately ran up with no intention of paying. Doing a service to the finance sector having the decency of offering settlement figures or payment arrangements is not the act of scum. I'd say 9 times out of 10 the debtors were a 'wont pay', rather than a 'cant pay'. You find that people who got into debt through a change of circumstances usually deal with it pro-actively and don't require to be chased.

I was done with it after ten years though. Government legislation has made it basically a customer service job and you can't even put pressure on individuals who are totally at it. People can basically pay back debt at a rate they want, rather than paying being enforced to pay as much as they can.

It's a shame, as it was a very skilled job back in the day, that took years to master. I mind tracking a bloke down to his local pub about half 8 at night, got his brother to pay is 4k debt off a credit card because I put the fear of god into the guy when I told him what would happen to his house and car. I couldn't have actually done anything to his possessions but he didn't know that.😎

And that is the bullying that makes debt collectors scum, basically traffic wardens that think they are hard 

Just now, Ribble said:

And that is the bullying that makes debt collectors scum, basically traffic wardens that think they are hard 

Why is it bullying? The guy was at it and ran the debt up with no intention to pay, he got what he deserved and I got a nice bonus. If the guy was legitimately trying his best to do the right thing and pay back what he could, there would have been no need to do what I done.

I bet he didn't avoid paying the 4k back to his brother.

13 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Why is it bullying? The guy was at it and ran the debt up with no intention to pay, he got what he deserved and I got a nice bonus. If the guy was legitimately trying his best to do the right thing and pay back what he could, there would have been no need to do what I done.

I bet he didn't avoid paying the 4k back to his brother.

Forcing someone to do something using the threat of something you legally couldn't do? bullying in my book

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Forcing someone to do something using the threat of something you legally couldn't do? bullying in my book

Sounds more like good use of artistic license than bullying to me. 

maroonlegions
5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thing is it could be debt to feed their children.

Children that this utter reptile of a government DONT think  are worth feeding over the holidays with free school meals but  can  and HAVE handed out  multi billion contact to a company for  a COVID "track and trace" that was an utter failure.

Rent bills due to COVID, oh and evictions soon too.

Tory apologists, the ones that blame everyone else but those creating hardship for millions  asin this governments draconian cuts on social welfare.     If you can't afford to LIVE in this present Tory government then tough is their message and welfare polices.

Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

"Artistic license", sounds like a  cop out for bullying.

maroonlegions
13 minutes ago, FWJ said:

People buying stuff they don’t need with money they don’t have to impress people they don’t like.

If it was that simple that everyone in debt has this mark on them.    Simple generalisations are so easy to make. 

Ainsley Harriott
4 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

He lost me too. I'm sure his argument will quickly turn to why Scotland should be independent 

2 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

"Artistic license", sounds like a  cop out for bullying.

I love how the guy in the wrong is being made out to be the hard done by one 😂

maroonlegions
39 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Scottish Power set Scott and Co onto me a few years ago for non payment of a bill amounting to not much over £100. A quick check of my bank account and cheque book quickly confirmed I’d paid it and it was an error from Scottish Power. I got in touch with them and they told me it wasn’t their concern any more as they’re basically sold the debt to Scott and Co. it took several phone calls and angry emails to get it called off. I understand the debt collectors have a job but by Christ they don’t like letting it go once they own the debt, even if it doesn’t actually exist. 

Sound like parasites. 

16 minutes ago, FWJ said:

People buying stuff they don’t need with money they don’t have to impress people they don’t like.

:lol:

TRUE

maroonlegions
Just now, IronJambo said:

I love how the guy in the wrong is being made out to be the hard done by one 😂

Guy in the wrong, what is debt, interest making it even more debt..  😂 

5 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Guy in the wrong, what is debt, interest making it even more debt..  😂 

You make it sound like the debt was enforced on him 😂

I've been in bad debt and had countless defaults. I've had the calls from the debt collectors. Some of them were out of order, most of them weren't.

The situation was completely my own doing and even my young self knew that. Spare the violins for those that really deserve them.

Edited by IronJambo

4 hours ago, Herbert said:

My laddie when he was at high school had a mate whose parents were a bit like that.

Fancy 4 bedroom new build, 2 new Merc's in the driveway, skiing holidays every winter, the Caribbean every summer, dinner parties a couple of times a month for their work colleagues, designer this designer that.

On the surface they had the perfect life, big house, nice cars, great holidays, the only thing was it was all on the never never, it was all for show.

Both of their teenage kids never went on the fancy holidays, hell there often wasn't any food in the house for them, we ended up feeding their laddie more regulary than we should have.

Of course it all went pear shaped, the wife lost her job and within a few months the whole deck of cards started to came tumbling down, within the year they'd lost everything, the house, the cars, the designer gear, ended up moving away, don't know where they ended up. 

It was the kids that I felt sorry for, at an age they would understand what was going on, 17 yr old daughter & a 15 yr old son.

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My laddie when he was at high school had a mate whose parents were a bit like that.

Fancy 4 bedroom new build, 2 new Merc's in the driveway, skiing holidays every winter, the Caribbean every summer, dinner parties a couple of times a month for their work colleagues, designer this designer that.

On the surface they had the perfect life, big house, nice cars, great holidays, the only thing was it was all on the never never, it was all for show.

Both of their teenage kids never went on the fancy holidays, hell there often wasn't any food in the house for them, we ended up feeding their laddie more regulary than we should have.

Of course it all went pear shaped, the wife lost her job and within a few months the whole deck of cards started to came tumbling down, within the year they'd lost everything, the house, the cars, the designer gear, ended up moving away, don't know where they ended up. 

It was the kids that I felt sorry for, at an age they would understand what was going on, 17 yr old daughter & a 15 yr old son.

Classic "Spam Valley" case, sad.

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Thats the whole point though, they are meant to be regulated which means artistic license isn't acceptable. See my example above regarding Scott & Co and that of Tazio with the same company, we weren't dodging debt yet were both subjected to their 'artistic license' that could have resulted in handing over hundreds of pounds they weren't legally entitled to claim!

Should people be accountable for their debts? Absolutely! Should they be bullied and intimidated with false threats? No chance, as for accosting a boy in the pub? It's not a credit card that i'd have handed out that's for damn sure

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I was done with it after ten years though. Government legislation has made it a customer service job and you can't even put pressure on individuals who are totally at it. People can basically pay back debt at a rate they want, rather than paying being enforced to pay as much as they can.

It's a shame, as it was a very skilled job back in the day, that took years to master. I mind tracking a bloke down to his local pub about half 8 at night, got his brother to pay his 4k debt off a credit card because I put the fear of god into the guy when I told him what would happen to his house and car. I couldn't have actually done anything to his possessions but he didn't know that.😎

Just doing a job

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

So traffic wardens are scum too now. They’re just doing a job, if you don’t spend other people’s money and don’t park where you shouldn’t, you’ve nothing to worry about.

1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

There are exceptions.

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is there a happy ending to this?

No, it is just an anecdote. Clearly not as amusing as I thought either.

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

Ms Zico has a pal just like that. Doesn’t work and lives in some weird footballer’s wife/weekend millionaire fantasy land. 

It's these wannabe pavement dancers that buy all the stone island gear on klarna chucky and still look shite that I worry about.

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Thats the whole point though, they are meant to be regulated which means artistic license isn't acceptable. See my example above regarding Scott & Co and that of Tazio with the same company, we weren't dodging debt yet were both subjected to their 'artistic license' that could have resulted in handing over hundreds of pounds they weren't legally entitled to claim!

Should people be accountable for their debts? Absolutely! Should they be bullied and intimidated with false threats? No chance, as for accosting a boy in the pub? It's not a credit card that i'd have handed out that's for damn sure

I'm sure the bloke explained that the debtor was one that was taking the piss. The rights and wrongs of that assumption are another matter but he's told his story and probably deserves the benefit of doubt that he knew his job well enough to recognise that. I think fair play to the lad for doing what he could to recover some cash. 

3 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Children that this utter reptile of a government DONT think  are worth feeding over the holidays with free school meals but  can  and HAVE handed out  multi billion contact to a company for  a COVID "track and trace" that was an utter failure.

Rent bills due to COVID, oh and evictions soon too.

Tory apologists, the ones that blame everyone else but those creating hardship for millions  asin this governments draconian cuts on social welfare.     If you can't afford to LIVE in this present Tory government then tough is their message and welfare polices.

I don't buy this, You can make a pot of soup for about 2 quid, shops like farmfoods and Iceland you can do a weeks shop for about 20-30quid easily, so people that end up thousands in debt and use this excuse are full of shite. The government aren't to blame for people being irresponsible with money, I used to be so bad with money I would have to walk 6miles to work and 6miles back and live on supernoodles because I would spend my monthly food and bus money in the pub. A person on 70 a week can buy food pay a tenner into gas and electric and get a weekly bus ticket. That's the kind of thing welfare is for, not buying fags,weed paying a phone contract etc