Tv dilemma

Muppetboy

I sold a tv via a Facebook thing last night,  a 50 inch LG tv that I’ve had a good few years but never had any trouble with it. The guy came at 10 ish and seemed content as it was shown working etc and was nice and clean. Anyway I wake up to a message saying the tv is broken and a picture of the apparent fault. Got 100 for it and now I don’t know what course of action to take, return the guys money or not? Any advice welcome

Fitzroy Pointon

**** him. It was in good, working condition when you sold him it. Whatever has happened has happened in transit or at his home. 

Samuel Camazzola

Did you have a note of the serial number etc to ensure he's not doing a fly one and switching it for his dodgy screen?

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Did you have a note of the serial number etc to ensure he's not doing a fly one and switching it for his dodgy screen?

No mate

Samuel Camazzola
13 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

No mate

Its a tough one. If it has a fault, it could have been down to him not taking care of it in transit etc... 

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Its a tough one. If it has a fault, it could have been down to him not taking care of it in transit etc... 

I know. I had been dealing with the guys niece, apparently it was for her kids, then this guy turns up at back of 10, lifted it out for him as he wasn’t in great health, and it was an estate car but had a lot of crap in the back. Anyway I’ve thought about giving half of the money back. Really unsure what to do

39 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Exactly this. 

It's been years and that avatar still makes me shit myself when I see it out the corner of my eye. You should have been banned ages ago. 

As for the TV, tough luck. He's at it or rattled it at some point. 

2 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

I sold a tv via a Facebook thing last night,  a 50 inch LG tv that I’ve had a good few years but never had any trouble with it. The guy came at 10 ish and seemed content as it was shown working etc and was nice and clean. Anyway I wake up to a message saying the tv is broken and a picture of the apparent fault. Got 100 for it and now I don’t know what course of action to take, return the guys money or not? Any advice welcome

Did he look hard?  :oohmatron:

I sympathise with the dilemma of not wanting to be scammed and trying to be fair.   An outright '**** him' doesn't cut the custard for me but each to their own.    It just goes to show how crucial it is to take identification steps.   

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I sympathise with the dilemma of not wanting to be scammed and trying to be fair.   An outright '**** him' doesn't cut the custard for me but each to their own.    It just goes to show how crucial it is to take identification steps.   

I’d never try punt something I knew was buggered and I’m assuming muppetboy has the same morals so if all working fine until it leaves the house then sorry but not sorry. 
The guy has buggered it himself and is at it. 

18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’d never try punt something I knew was buggered and I’m assuming muppetboy has the same morals so if all working fine until it leaves the house then sorry but not sorry. 
The guy has buggered it himself and is at it. 

Utter nonsense. 

I know. I had been dealing with the guys niece, apparently it was for her kids, then this guy turns up at back of 10, lifted it out for him as he wasn’t in great health, and it was an estate car but had a lot of crap in the back. Anyway I’ve thought about giving half of the money back. Really unsure what to do

Although you put it in the back of his car for him I would imagine you were careful. Even if it rattled about a bit, I'd find it hard to believe thst caused it to stop working mate. If the guy is genuine it could be a coincidence and completely bad luck or he could just be a chancer like others have said. Did he say what the problem specifically was? Wouldn't hurt to remind him you switched it on to show him it was in good working order

3 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Apologies if already mentioned, but I've not seen it.

What's the "damage" on it? Seems unlikely to me that it would all of a sudden be damaged without the new owner having caused it some sort of trauma. 

I think the OP has already got the solution.    If the buyer is reasonable then they will see the reason in saying that it can't be shown either way if there was a fault already or if a fault was caused after the transaction.   Halfers seems like the only neutral position.    A lot will be gleaned from the buyer's reaction to being asked to consider this logic and an offer of halfers.

Edited by Victorian

What if it was essentially working but still had a circuitry or component fault just waiting to happen if slightly jolted?   For me that's still a fault,  or could be seen as one.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think the OP has already got the solution.    If the buyer is reasonable then they will see the reason in saying that it can't be shown either way if there was a fault already or if a fault was caused after the transaction.   Halfers seems like the only neutral position.    A lot will be gleaned from the buyer's reaction to being asked to consider this logic and an offer of halfers.

He'll go back to collect it and be handed a broken 28 inch Goodmans. 

39 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sold as seen is a myth. Give them there money back. 

Even if they broke it in transit ? I’m assuming the op didn’t know anything about this fault so I think half refund is more than generous and I’d be wanting to see the fault. 

Greedy Jambo

That's the risk you take when buying 2nd hand electrical goods off Facebook 🤷‍♂️ 

All you should do is ask him 1 simple question, was it working before you took it away? 

Anything that has happened since it left your house is outwith your control. 

It's unfortunate but unless you gave him a 14 day money back gaurentee, it's his bad luck, not yours. 

JudyJudyJudy

Yeah like others I’d agree hard lines for him . It was working when you sold it to him. Simple . He’s obviously been cack handed with it or dropped it or something like that , and trying to fleece you 

3 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Did he look hard?  :oohmatron:

No, he just had a semi.

Seriously though, there's all sorts of shysters on FB/Gumtree/Ebay. Tell him to GTF.

7 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

**** him. It was in good, working condition when you sold him it. Whatever has happened has happened in transit or at his home. 

That's it, bought as seen. Anything the guy is unhappy with like you posted, he can feck himself.

8 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

This part is the key - he knows fine well it was working when it left your gaff so you owe him nowt, not your problem.

I bought a “new” telly off gumtree a while back, the guy delivered it to me and insisted on me setting it up and checking it was ok before he took the money and left. Facebook marketplace sets off all sorts of alarms in my head, lots of dodgy looking adverts. 

Sadly, it's why you need to take note of serial numbers and loads of pictures of stuff.

I had an expensive Samsung TV away to get a warranty repair and took tons of pictures before it went, as the company doing repairs have a bad name for returning TVs with bangs and dings on them, then claiming they were like that.

Update to the situation is basically they have their money back and I have a broken tv.  As I said the tv was fine when it left my home last night. I woke up to the message that it was broken and a picture of multicoloured vertical lines on one half of the screen. 
I told her my stance and she insisted I send the one hundred back to her online account. The police threats followed and as it was a consumer issue and not criminal one I was content I’d have nothing to worry about. I have my 12 and 10 year old with me this weekend and I was becoming preoccupied with it all. My daughter intercepted one of my messages on my iPad and said to my autistic 12 year old who then became so upset at the thought of me being taken away by the police, that he started crying hysterically.

i then told the lassie to bring tv back and I’d give her the money. Still wasn’t good enough for her, she then started the veiled threats- ‘I know where you live’ and ‘you don’t know my family do you?’ She then said she was coming to my house and I’d better have her money.  I’m not used to situations like these and hate any form of confrontation so I felt unnerved at what might be done as way of reprisals.  Anyway they turned up outside my flat, I looked outside and saw a different guy from last night  taking the tv out of the boot. I went out my door and put 60 down on the ground and shouted down to **** off and take the money and leave the tv. He was never abusive and reiterated that I was scamming them. I told him countless times it was fine when it left me but he continued with family sob stories so I put down another 20. My kids were freaking out as I was raising my voice and swearing a little. My autistic boy just said to give him all the money and to stop him and my daughter getting more upset, I threw another 20 down and told him to **** off and I just slammed my door. If my kids hadn’t have been here it would definitely have panned out differently. obviously there are lessons to be learned. Hopefully any of you guys reading this are now more aware of the potential pitfalls in selling online 

40 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Update to the situation is basically they have their money back and I have a broken tv.  As I said the tv was fine when it left my home last night. I woke up to the message that it was broken and a picture of multicoloured vertical lines on one half of the screen. 
I told her my stance and she insisted I send the one hundred back to her online account. The police threats followed and as it was a consumer issue and not criminal one I was content I’d have nothing to worry about. I have my 12 and 10 year old with me this weekend and I was becoming preoccupied with it all. My daughter intercepted one of my messages on my iPad and said to my autistic 12 year old who then became so upset at the thought of me being taken away by the police, that he started crying hysterically.

i then told the lassie to bring tv back and I’d give her the money. Still wasn’t good enough for her, she then started the veiled threats- ‘I know where you live’ and ‘you don’t know my family do you?’ She then said she was coming to my house and I’d better have her money.  I’m not used to situations like these and hate any form of confrontation so I felt unnerved at what might be done as way of reprisals.  Anyway they turned up outside my flat, I looked outside and saw a different guy from last night  taking the tv out of the boot. I went out my door and put 60 down on the ground and shouted down to **** off and take the money and leave the tv. He was never abusive and reiterated that I was scamming them. I told him countless times it was fine when it left me but he continued with family sob stories so I put down another 20. My kids were freaking out as I was raising my voice and swearing a little. My autistic boy just said to give him all the money and to stop him and my daughter getting more upset, I threw another 20 down and told him to **** off and I just slammed my door. If my kids hadn’t have been here it would definitely have panned out differently. obviously there are lessons to be learned. Hopefully any of you guys reading this are now more aware of the potential pitfalls in selling online 

No one really likes confrontation and it’s very easy to say I would have done this or that. You done the right thing just giving the money back. It’s not worth the stress for a hundred quid. Hope your kids are ok now. 

Definitely transit damage to the telly by the sound of it. You’re completely blameless but end up no worse of other than a telly you could have made some cash from is now an inconvenience for you to dispose of. It amazes me that grown adults think that playground rules of being tough works as an adult. 

Well obviously these are unreasonable,  social inadequates.   Much better to draw a line under it and remove any doubts and stress.   It's only money.

10 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Ignore the *****. 

missed the update...

Edited by Irufushi

jack D and coke
54 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Absolute nightmare man but kids there and you need to sort them. It’s easy to say what we’d all have done and end of the matter I suppose. 
****ing telly might’ve landed on his car from my window though. 

3 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Have to say you’ve done the right thing. At least you can hold your head up high and know you done nothing wrong. The wanks you had to deal with are another story. 

Jamstomorrow
9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Sold as seen is a myth. Give them there money back. 

You have not heard of Caveat Emptor I take it?

Caveat emptor is a Latin term that means "let the buyer beware." Similar to the phrase "sold as is," this term means that the buyer assumes the risk that a product may fail to meet expectations or have defects.20

20 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Have to say you’ve done the right thing. At least you can hold your head up high and know you done nothing wrong. The wanks you had to deal with are another story. 

Cheers mate. Still feel a bit of a mug though,  but as you say I can hold my head up. My kids obviously were my priority earlier

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Well obviously these are unreasonable,  social inadequates.   Much better to draw a line under it and remove any doubts and stress.   It's only money.

Very true mate. I’ve only just calmed down now though

21 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Put the advert up. Let's see what you say you were selling.