Levein and biased Referees

Deevers

While the officials in this country do all they can to ensure the arse-cheeks always prevail... it is also the reason they continually fail in Europe ie. no west coast refs = they don't get their own way. Silver linings and all that...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smoked-Glass

• colinmaroon

• Spellczech

• DS98

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 29/09/2020 at 08:41, Chaps said:

It was around the time Levein was in a court battle with the SFA refusing to pay a fine for comments he made about McDonald after he sent off 2 of our players(can remember who) away to Killie I think it was 

Exactly then, you’re spot on. Stuart Dougal was appointed to a Hearts games shortly afterwards and told Levein they were getting ‘SFA’ so to speak. 

8 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Is there anyone in Scotland who does like Levein?

I do. Massive respect for him as a player and believe it or not, as a manager. Obviously his recent tenure at Hearts was poor, but I don't hate him.

He should never have been given that last gig, but he did, and he was given too long in it. Maybe he should have walked before he was pushed, but who would?

Weakened Offender
45 minutes ago, Boris said:

I do. Massive respect for him as a player and believe it or not, as a manager. Obviously his recent tenure at Hearts was poor, but I don't hate him.

He should never have been given that last gig, but he did, and he was given too long in it. Maybe he should have walked before he was pushed, but who would?

He should have gone, one way or another, after the cup final. 

It's sad to see such a staunch Hearts man and great servant being so widely disliked now but it was a mistake to stay on into the new (last) season and it was utterly ridiculous not to walk out the door after being sacked. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Funnily enough I thought he was a cheating basteward in the 2006 cup final.

The first 4 words of the preceding sentence are unnecessary.

John underhill in the October 2005 Derby at Easter Road was the worst 90 mins I've seen. 

Didn't book a single hibs player and was a homer the whole match.   Thought he was going to have a shocker after just 15 minutes. Proved correct. 

12 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Funnily enough I thought he was a cheating basteward in the 2006 cup final.

You're not kidding.  Apart from anything else, I have rarely if ever seen a more glaring penalty not given than the one in extra time.  That's not an error.  That is pure bias. 

Basteward all right.

On 29/09/2020 at 08:41, Chaps said:

It was around the time Levein was in a court battle with the SFA refusing to pay a fine for comments he made about McDonald after he sent off 2 of our players(can remember who) away to Killie I think it was 

Think it was Webster and Austin McCann. An utterly dreadful refereeing performance by McDonald that day. The one referee who was corrupt to the core when he was in charge against us. A former Hibs season ticket holder who often refed us against Hibs. His performance though in the 2006 cup final was bordering on blatant cheating.

Abiola Dauda
12 hours ago, Boof said:

The first 4 words of the preceding sentence are unnecessary.

Funnily enough I think that the first 10 words of the preceding sentence are unnecessary :p.

On 29/09/2020 at 22:29, BEDNAR BOY said:

Think I remember him as an Assistant, one of the few that wore long sleeves.

maybe covering the Jambo tattoo?

He definitely wore them in that Monaco v CSKA Sofia UEFA Cup game in 2005. 

clearly the other short sleeve wearing linesman didn’t have a jambo tattoo!

18 hours ago, Boris said:

With you 100%

gorgie rd eh11
8 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Think it was Webster and Austin McCann. An utterly dreadful refereeing performance by McDonald that day. The one referee who was corrupt to the core when he was in charge against us. A former Hibs season ticket holder who often refed us against Hibs. His performance though in the 2006 cup final was bordering on blatant cheating.

It didn't border on blatant cheating it was blatant cheating.

I remember an embarrassing dive by John Rankin at Easter Road right in front of Dougie and he couldn't get his whistle to his mouth quick enough to give hibs a penalty.

Old Pivotonian
On 30/09/2020 at 13:46, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Is there anyone in Scotland who does like Levein?

Me actually.  I know that last few years were a  complete disaster (I think everyone knows that). However, he was one of the best players I ever saw in the maroon.    Also, he is turning out to be the best pal that the club has in the media.   I'll listen to him before I listen to the usual ungrammatical, idiotic, OF-fixated balloons that we normally have to put up with.    I also kind of a like Michael Stewart as well, but that's a story for another day.

I just don't go for this referee bias thing, or at least not in general. The greatest claim is that the refs are bias in favour of the OF. What favours did Rangers get against hubz recently?

John Findlay
11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I just don't go for this referee bias thing, or at least not in general. The greatest claim is that the refs are bias in favour of the OF. What favours did Rangers get against hubz recently?

Haha good one

Cappuccino Kid
16 hours ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

It didn't border on blatant cheating it was blatant cheating.

I remember an embarrassing dive by John Rankin at Easter Road right in front of Dougie and he couldn't get his whistle to his mouth quick enough to give hibs a penalty.

Rankin was interviewed shortly after and said he told him there had been no contact but he gave the penalty anyway.  

On 29/09/2020 at 11:25, alwaysthereinspirit said:

This. If Levein is telling the truth then tell us all who it was. Let the official defend himself if need be. Truth is no one would try to get his side of the story anyway media wise.

He knows there are no witnesses, so if he names the official to the media it is defamation and will be extremely hard for him to defend in court. It is the law stopping him saying anything more, not the SFA. Though the SFA would undoubtedly pay for the official, or more probably ex-official, to bring a defamation action as it is in their interest to do so...

Edited by Spellczech

12 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

:notsure::Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

On 01/10/2020 at 10:28, PapaShango said:

He eventually got his comeuppance but only because he told Lennon a porky...The amount of blatent cheating he did against us was truly shocking.

Then there was Davis who used to turn up at officials get-togethers actually wearing a Rangers top...

gorgie rd eh11
15 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

😄

12 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Was it just that one decision or was he bad the whole game.  Can't remember 

Two shocking decisions. Balde should have been off and Fyssas sent off. I know we were in freefall after losing Burley but if we had won we would only have been 1 point behind them and not 7... 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Two shocking decisions. Balde should have been off and Fyssas sent off. I know we were in freefall after losing Burley but if we had won we would only have been 1 point behind them and not 7... 

That game was a massive piss take. Old Firm refereeing at its worst.

Pointless having VAR in Scotland because like everything else in Scottish football, it can be bent as feck and no-one will bat an eyelid

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That game was a massive piss take. Old Firm refereeing at its worst.

Pointless having VAR in Scotland because like everything else in Scottish football, it can be bent as feck and no-one will bat an eyelid

Indeed - what is the point of the a bunch of ex-officials from Scotland "helping" the current officials? Unless the VAR team are to be ex-refs from France or even England there is absolutely no point...

On 01/10/2020 at 22:43, Old Pivotonian said:

Me actually.  I know that last few years were a  complete disaster (I think everyone knows that). However, he was one of the best players I ever saw in the maroon.    Also, he is turning out to be the best pal that the club has in the media.   I'll listen to him before I listen to the usual ungrammatical, idiotic, OF-fixated balloons that we normally have to put up with.    I also kind of a like Michael Stewart as well, but that's a story for another day.

Many of us do 

However I think dusk till dawn was implying that Levein was universally disliked throughout football 

Just not the case . Highly respected and liked . Doesn't suffer fools and says what he thinks

12 hours ago, jambostuart said:

Worst refereeing performance I saw was Brines 

Still gets me raging to this day!

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12445460.hearts-rage-at-fyssas-red-card-celtic-come-from-two-down-to-snatch-late-victory/

The thing that sticks out in my memory was it was so far out on the angle. Even if it was a foul (which it wasn’t). The whole stadium was shocked to see a red. Takis won his appeal as well I’m sure. Not often that happens for us.

Also when an OF manager comes out after the game and says they got lucky with decisions, you know it must have been too blatant to ignore! Can you imagine Lennon or Slippy G saying something like that today? No chance. 

12 hours ago, jambostuart said:

I still maintain to this day that we were still well in the hunt for the league until that night. Folk try to talk it down saying that in the years since Aberdeen, Motherwell and even Hibs have been in touching distance  to Celtic around Xmas. The difference is that Hearts team was the real deal, capable of doing it. 

On 29/09/2020 at 14:50, Cruyff said:

This one bud. They got proper cheated off the park. 

Crazy, a shame Setanta is no more, current BBC and sky sychophants wouldn't stir a hornet's nest against the firm 

Old Pivotonian
16 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Many of us do 

However I think dusk till dawn was implying that Levein was universally disliked throughout football 

Just not the case . Highly respected and liked . Doesn't suffer fools and says what he thinks

Edited.  

Edited by Old Pivotonian

11 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Just for balance... We sometimes get shockers in our favour 

Screenshot_20201004_004046_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Against the OF? There is no doubt that crowds can influence officials and that big team decisions can happen. However, when there is a pattern and predictability about the "errors" it stinks of bias. As do the ill-considered attempts to justify the unilateral nature of the big team bias with lines like "it evens itself out over the season" etc It never does, not if you are the team trying to challenge the OF. Yes you may get decisions against smaller teams like Hamilton and Hibs but so do the the OF, in addition to the ones they get in the big games against us, where we are considered the small team...Is a soft penalty when you are already 2-0 up at home versus St Johnstone the same as a soft penalty against you in the 88th minute when drawing at Celtic Park?

When people say "it evens itself out over the season" what they mean is that Rangers and Celtic will get roughly the same number of dodgy decisions for them over the course of a season, and for OF games, the officials will make a dodgy decision to redress an imbalance later, in the next OF game or even later in the same match, like when the other team will get a reciprocal red card...

Edited by Spellczech

Smoked-Glass
52 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Against the OF? There is no doubt that crowds can influence officials and that big team decisions can happen. However, when there is a pattern and predictability about the "errors" it stinks of bias. As do the ill-considered attempts to justify the unilateral nature of the big team bias with lines like "it evens itself out over the season" etc It never does, not if you are the team trying to challenge the OF. Yes you may get decisions against smaller teams like Hamilton and Hibs but so do the the OF, in addition to the ones they get in the big games against us, where we are considered the small team...Is a soft penalty when you are already 2-0 up at home versus St Johnstone the same as a soft penalty against you in the 88th minute when drawing at Celtic Park?

When people say "it evens itself out over the season" what they mean is that Rangers and Celtic will get roughly the same number of dodgy decisions for them over the course of a season, and for OF games, the officials will make a dodgy decision to redress an imbalance later, in the next OF game or even later in the same match, like when the other team will get a reciprocal red card...

Spot on. 

Smoked-Glass

Can anyone remember what happened to levein after that interview on setanta.  Was he fined or something? 

Be a bit of an embarrassing hearing especially if they had a TV set in the room.    A defence of   "just look" would be enough. 

1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Can anyone remember what happened to levein after that interview on setanta.  Was he fined or something? 

Be a bit of an embarrassing hearing especially if they had a TV set in the room.    A defence of   "just look" would be enough. 

He was punished. 

They gave him the Scotland job 😂

Does anyone find it offensive that the other 10 clubs in Scotlands top flight are effectively penalised by not behaving like animals? I mean, if a referee gives a decision against Celtic/ Rangers, the media fury whips up an angry mob and sure enough the death threats start flying. Does that referee ever make an important decision against either of the OF? Does he ****. 

We need foreign referees. We also need an explanation on why every senior referee (Collum, Madden, Beaton, Dallas, Clancy) are all from Glasgow or the surrounding area (all thick with OF fans). It can't encourage impartiality when they need to live in these communities. 

Guest ToqueJambo
18 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Nothing wrong with that at all. Clearly not over the line.

On 04/10/2020 at 00:43, Smoked-Glass said:

Inconclusive. 

Clearly a shocking decision but ther is a difference between an official making a howler and a referee stepping onto the pitch with an agenda. 

On 02/10/2020 at 21:05, jambostuart said:

Worst refereeing performance I saw was Brines 

Still gets me raging to this day!

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12445460.hearts-rage-at-fyssas-red-card-celtic-come-from-two-down-to-snatch-late-victory/

Followed as a close 2nd and 3rd by Zal at Pittodrie and his display at Ayr, to which you can add many others.

14 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Followed as a close 2nd and 3rd by Zal at Pittodrie and his display at Ayr, to which you can add many others.

Yet you still get some on here claiming there was/is no agenda against us. None so blind as those who refuse to see.

Edited by Deevers

There is definitely an agenda against Hearts and wouldn't be surprised if there was one against Levein as he does seem to rub people, especially those in authority, the wrong way. 

The rough physical team nonsense myth about us resulting in fines, Neilson having to practice with 10 men due to knowing who a ref is (after the shocking decision to send Hamilton off.

Even last season, by which I am no way excusing the shite we saw on the park, but there seemed to be a run of consecutive games where a shocking decision (Watt penalty, the Killie game), cost us a valuable point or 3. Human nature will play a part, but I do believe there is an agenda against Hearts 

Deliberate bias from any referee is probably rare in a game, unconscious as Levein mentioned and the effects of the crowds as well as the incompetence of the officials all play a part too.

What isn't a coincidence and directly leads to the number of shocking decisions and apparent bias towards the old firm is the number of referees from the Greater Glasgow area, that is not a coincidence and shows direct bias in the choice of referees which then leads to issues like the old firm getting the rub of the green more. Andrew Dallas is a prime example of sheer bias in referee selection, a terrible ref being advanced because of who they know and where they're from, not to mention the stat that Levein has brought up before that an east coast referee has only taken charge of the Scottish cup final once in 100+ years, the closed shop for west coast referees getting the best gigs is the main problem in the officiating of Scottish football.

I may be wrong as I can't find which associations the current top flight referees belong to but I think they are all west coast based.