Best band ever?

Strummerville

Been so many great bands throughout the years. However, to me there is only one that changed my world. The Clash are the one and only. Various sub genres, white man, white riot, complete control.. consistently brilliant. R.I.P. Joe

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Victorian

• Cruyff

• Unknown user

A Boy Named Crow
24 minutes ago, Strummerville said:

Been so many great bands throughout the years. However, to me there is only one that changed my world. The Clash are the one and only. Various sub genres, white man, white riot, complete control.. consistently brilliant. R.I.P. Joe

Going by your username, were the Communards a close second?

The Clash remain one of the most important bands of all time, not only that you look at the output post-Clash to see how incredible and influential Strummer,Jones and Simonon were. 

Though I am quite contrary with music and it all depends on my mood, I go through phases where I would say The Who or Led Zeppelin, the White Stripes or the Stone Roses. Currently I can't get enough of The Bonnevilles.

I do think special recognition needs to go to The Bad Seeds, they have been able to produce the soundtrack to the insanity contained within Nick Caves head for the best part of 40 years with an unnerving quality 

Салатные палочки

Suppose it's all down to your personal tastes. The Clash had loads of great songs, but IMO Stiff Little Fingers had just as many, although many people wouldn't agree. 

Threads like this will usually just end up with people naming their favourite band. not a bad thing though. 

There's bands who I tend to listen to the most these days and those are SLF, The Fall, Idlewild and Big Country. None of them are the best bands ever though. 

There is not such a thing as 'the best band ever.'    As different people have different opinions on the subject, it is impossible that everyone could agree in such numbers to decide that title.  Also time is infinite, so to say 'ever' is also impossible.

42 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

There is not such a thing as 'the best band ever.'    As different people have different opinions on the subject, it is impossible that everyone could agree in such numbers to decide that title.  Also time is infinite, so to say 'ever' is also impossible.

tenor.gif

Anyway, the greatest ever are the Beatles, my favourite are the Kinks.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Strummerville said:

Given your username there really couldn't be another. I was lucky enough to have a couple of great nights with the band in Edinburgh and (of all places) Atlanta. 

Worthing Jambo
9 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Given your username there really couldn't be another. I was lucky enough to have a couple of great nights with the band in Edinburgh and (of all places) Atlanta. 

Very lucky man.

I saw The Clash and SLF live 5 times and The Jam 9 times.

All fantastic gigs.

Last one was SLF in a park in Brighton with Bruce Foxton on bass.

Funnily enough, Sandinista is the only album from the above bands that I still regularly listen too.

You could make an attempt to define a 'best' ever band on the basis of opinion regarding the skill and perhaps innovation of their individual and collective musicianship,  technical abilities,  song writing,  production,  etc.    Some might say the likes of Emerson,  Lake & Palmer or some other bunch of prog tossers.   Some might say Led Zeppelin because of the stature of Jimmy Page and John Bonham in the realm of their individual instruments.

But... what's the ****ing point?    These threads inevitably become favourite ever band.    There's nothing wrong with that.

18 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

BCR were good back in the day, Abba and Bread, Human league loads more.

BCR ?
This’ll be so obvious as well but my brains not at 100% yet .😀

9 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

BCR ?

Only one I can think of is Bay City Rollers...

But to answer the original question - and there IS one definite, correct answer...Rush.

Beach Boys good too. And Squeeze. And several thousand et ceteras.

Edited by Boof

48 minutes ago, Boof said:

Only one I can think of is Bay City Rollers...

But to answer the original question - and there IS one definite, correct answer...Rush.

Beach Boys good too. And Squeeze. And several thousand et ceteras.

That’ll do for me 👍🏻
at least several thousand etc and each and everyone will be correct 

I listen to too many genres and swap in different bands all the time.

I love most of what has been posted above but I will rotate stuff in and out to fit moods too.  I don't usually play more than two albums by the same artist in a row.  I also look out for new bands that catch my eye.

Sure I will listen to Pixies, Maiden, Metallica, The Damned, The Stones, Iggy Pop, Bowie and change to something like Grimes, New Order, The Knife.  Recentish bands like Wolf Alice, DIIV, Dream Wife.

If I had to pick the greatest, I'd say Bowie.  So many genres covered in a 50+ year career.

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

BCR ?

Bay city rollers, played my rollin LP aged about 14 prior to my visit to Tynecastle, great days.

Queen. 

Rolling Stones. 

The Beatles. 

Red Hot Chilli Peppers 

in the order imo. 

edit to add.....fleetwood mac

Edited by AlimOzturk

On a completely arbitrary basis defined by me, if you ranked a musical act/songwriter by their top 30 songs, then I'll accept any of the below 3 answers. 

New Order/Joy Division

David Bowie

Holland Dozier Holland

If you want to make it more scientific I would propose that to be considered the best band of all time they would need a back catalogue that has something that appeals to nearly everyone no matter what their tastes. 
The Beatles certainly have a lot of songs that tick the box but are a little light on guitar heavy rock songs. The Stones have those and also quality ballads with dips into soul and funk. Bowie also can tick those boxes and also add in electronic, drum and bass, then finished his career with experimental avant garde jazz sounds. However he is clearly not a band. 
So my vote goes for The Rolling Stones as best band ever, and Bowie if it is best artist. 

Favourites for me are :-

Eagles

Travelling Willburys

Four Tops

Squeeze

Beach Boys

ELO

Kinks

Stones

Deacon Blue

BS & the E street band

Steely Dan

All have made a lot of my 65 years on this earth much more enjoyable.

2 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Favourites for me are :-

Eagles

Travelling Willburys

Four Tops

Squeeze

Beach Boys

ELO

Kinks

Stones

Deacon Blue

BS & the E street band

Steely Dan

All have made a lot of my 65 years on this earth much more enjoyable.

Did the Travelling Willburys not just have one decent album?

Personal taste and in no particular order as I like them all immensely.

Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

AC/DC

ELO

Led Zeppelin 

Supertramp

Pink Floyd

Roxy Music

OMD

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

There was so much creativeness and innovation across the 60s, 70s and 80s it was unreal, in every genre.  

There’s loads of underrated bands, who were actually big(if that makes sense) but don’t get the same adulation as others throughout the years.  

Van Morrison has had some great backing musicians playing for him over the years, both in the studio and on tour. The sound he / they get on the 'Moondance' album in particular is superb. His current band are very good too, especially the guy on guitar: he seems to be able to switch effortlessly between various styles and play all of them equally well.

The Band were also a great band!

Booker T & the MGs were great in their own right - love Steve Cropper's understated guitar work - as well as providing the backing for many of the biggest Stax hits and performers. 

In terms of sheer musicianship, improvisation, and creativity, the 'Kind of Blue'-era Miles Davis sextet would take some beating.

For some other genres and eras, I'd probably go for... Hank Williams & the Drifting Cowboys (Country); Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys (Bluegrass); Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys (Western Swing); Muddy Waters' band early-mid 50s (Blues).

Can't really argue with the Beatles being nominated by many, given how many fantastic songs they wrote and how influential they were and still are.  

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

There was so much creativeness and innovation across the 60s, 70s and 80s it was unreal, in every genre.  

There’s loads of underrated bands, who were actually big(if that makes sense) but don’t get the same adulation as others throughout the years.  

I get you, the beatles are like iphones. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Fair. I'd probably rather get torn into Girls Aloud, though.

Yeah, definitely.

The Spicers were a bit rough tbh.

29 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yeah, definitely.

The Spicers were a bit rough tbh.

Go on Morgan, give is a real opinion for a change, who's your top 3 bands of all time? 

And don't lie, Abba is one of them. 

Shanks said no

The title of the the thread is Best Band Ever, therefore as a fetus I was at the Beatles concert at the ABC and they have to win.

Best after I was actually born, tempted to say Marley or Queen but that's just showing off

Who have I seen the most? 2nd goes to the Stranglers but first place for me and me alone on this thread would be the Damned but I will add when Lemmy played with them was so special

scott herbertson
32 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich 

I always laugh when I hear their name. One of the first singles I ever bought at age 11

Two reasons why  I laugh

1. I was shocked when they first showed up on  top of the pops. How come there were only 5 of them  - I thought Dave and Dee were two different guys (this was pre internet of course)

2. The lyrics didn't make sense - what was the Black Baron doing in Xanadu wasn't really explained

Anyway, they were my favourite band early in 1968, after the Beatles, Procul Harum and whoever else I liked at the time

Looking back I would say it would have to be the Beatles for their influence and the likely longevity of their repertoire of songs

An honorable mention to the earlier incarnation of Fairport convention - multi-talented and great writing and playing.

The Floyd of Echoes and Dark Side produced the greatest LPs in my opinion, but there are a whole host of great bands - I'd certainly have CCR and the Clash in my list.

I don't think Bowie counts as a band (great though Ronson's contribution was). As a solo artiste he would be top three for sure, along with Dylan and I have a soft spot for the late lamented Sandy Denny

She was 19 when she wrote that btw....

Edited by scott herbertson
add

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Ok ok, last post, best band of all time, fine young cannibals, Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

Nah.  The Beat were better.