Digs money

Brick Tamland

15 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

Is it right to take digs money of your own kids who live with you and if so how much should you  charge or do you charge? 
Did you pay your own parents digs money when you lived with them and if so how much? 
I don’t charge my own son anything I just get him to buy the food shopping every now and then, just wondered what others thoughts were. 

Left school on a Thursday 1979. Started work on the Monday earning between £24-£27 pw. Every Friday my mum got a tenner for my keep. To this day. The best tenner I ever spent.

Салатные палочки

My first job I got £55 a week and my mum took £25 off it. By Friday night I was skint and borrowing money off them which I never paid back so it was pretty pointless but I suppose it was a token gesture to drum into me the fact that you need to pay your way in life*

When I started earning more I would pay about £150-200 a month. Totally fair I would say given I would eat their food, burn their leccy etc. 

So yes, its totally fair to ask your kids for money if they are earning. Save some and give it to them later if you want but I wouldn't feel bad for not doing so. 

*Edit. Unless it's money borrowed to go out and get pished on a Saturday night. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

5 hours ago, gjcc said:

:lol: 

My parentals took a cut of anything I made was occasionally loosely enforced though.  Didn’t have to pay while at Uni. So I went to uni twice. 👀

Was happy to pay it when asked. Mainly because it made me feel like the old man was less likely to tamper with my tea if I paid. I’m probably wrong though. 

Your parentals are probably very proud of you. Your old man though, sounds like a right character. I wouldn't be surprised if he tampered with your tea anyway...just in case. :D 

7 hours ago, tian447 said:

It was a really good thing you did putting £150 a month into a savings account for them! 

I'm sure they massively appreciated that £100 a month multiplied over the years :whistling:

Man's gotta make a livin'😃

A small amount to let them understand the importance of money, i leave that side 

of jobs to my wife, tbh my youngest a joiner does a lot of work in our house so no digs and 

the oldest a small amount.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

A small amount to let them understand the importance of money, i leave that side 

of jobs to my wife, tbh my youngest a joiner does a lot of work in our house so no digs and 

Good one, Harold.  👍

Great getting the joinery done for free!  😎

Whilst in education I paid nothing. When I worked I paid. When I was a YTS and earned £40 a week I paid £10 a week. When I was older and worked I paid £300 a month.

50 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good one, Harold.  👍

Great getting the joinery done for free!  😎

Got our kitchen from Wren and he put it in, even offered to have the units made up, 

extra 500 i think , but he said no, great wee grafter, hope you are well bud.

31 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Got our kitchen from Wren and he put it in, even offered to have the units made up, 

extra 500 i think , but he said no, great wee grafter, hope you are well bud.

Great stuff!

Aye, we’re fine thanks, Harry.

You?

Салатные палочки
5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Nice one. Been telling my son to get a trade for that same reason :laugh:. Well that and to make good money for himself. 

My mate is a builder and his brother a spark. His parents house is a bloody palace now. 

57 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

All good bud, my joiner building me a new shed (man jambo cave)

Make sure the joiner remembers to put in the bar.

🍻🍺🍷🥃

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

We didn't take digs money from any of our three children. 

They were all at University, ended up with good degrees and all now have good jobs. They all lived at home with us for varying periods of time. 

We didn't want their money as they need it more than us and I don't buy this shit about teaching them the value of money etc by taking it from them. That was our choice.

They were never spoiled, are all fantastic individuals with a great future ahead of them.

We gave them the basic platform of a good home & food on the table, but everything they have achieved whether it be educationally and employment wise, is down to their own hard work. 

We are very proud of them all.

Good post, J.  👍

Proud as Punch comes to mind!

9 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

My daughter refuses to pay a penny. There’s always an excuse, like “I need school supplies” or “I’m only 8”.

😆 selfish wee bizzum!

26 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

My daughter refuses to pay a penny. There’s always an excuse, like “I need school supplies” or “I’m only 8”.

8, she would be the right size to be a chimney sweep

2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

How can you say good post when you just said the opposite on the previous page 😀

Because I was referring to Jonno’s personal story on the the thread topic, rather than it’s right or wrongs.

And, I think he sounded proud of his children, so I commented on it.

Dont really get why you’re trying to be smart, Barney.  🤷🏿‍♂️

On 18/09/2020 at 15:06, Brick Tamland said:

Is it right to take digs money of your own kids who live with you and if so how much should you  charge or do you charge? 
Did you pay your own parents digs money when you lived with them and if so how much? 
I don’t charge my own son anything I just get him to buy the food shopping every now and then, just wondered what others thoughts were. 

Enough to cover his share of food and bills is more than fair. Assuming he has a job. 

Edited by Ray Gin

17 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I’m not. To be honest I just hate lazy thought processes such as ‘taking dig money from your kids will teach them the value of money’. No it won’t. It’ll just leave them with less money.

Cool, Barney.

However, I’m still not understanding why you felt the need to have a go at me over a post I made to Jonno, a proud fathers post and a post that had absolutely no bearing on my own experience, and subsequent opinion, on the thread title.

Edited by Morgan

Used to just take the dog out for walks when I stayed at my mum's on and off throughout my 20's.  That seemed to be enough.  I would never have lived there if she started asking for digs.

alwaysthereinspirit

My first pay packet in 1978 contained 22 pounds and 11p

My Mum took 5 pounds weekly for the next 6 years. 
Food, laundry, heat, toiletries and anything else I fancied.

No complaints from me.

Parents here in America don’t seem to take dig money from their kids.
Ive tried to pay them back by taking them all over America when they visit.

They’ve seen quite a bit.

I’ll always be grateful for what they did for me.

Hopefully it rubs off on my kids and they remember how great THEIR parents are. 😂

5 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

My first pay packet in 1978 contained 22 pounds and 11p

My Mum took 5 pounds weekly for the next 6 years. 
Food, laundry, heat, toiletries and anything else I fancied.

No complaints from me.

Parents here in America don’t seem to take dig money from their kids.
Ive tried to pay them back by taking them all over America when they visit.

They’ve seen quite a bit.

I’ll always be grateful for what they did for me.

Hopefully it rubs off on my kids and they remember how great THEIR parents are. 😂

See when you think about the wages. Christ, it's less than a quid an hour. £35 a week was my first wage, before a got my apprenticeship. 

It'll probably go back to that soon, covid being the excuse to stop minimum wage etc...