Digs money

Brick Tamland

Is it right to take digs money of your own kids who live with you and if so how much should you  charge or do you charge? 
Did you pay your own parents digs money when you lived with them and if so how much? 
I don’t charge my own son anything I just get him to buy the food shopping every now and then, just wondered what others thoughts were. 

when i was in education (school and uni) my parents did not charge me but when i left uni and was looking for a job (i had a job in a supermarket for some money) i got charged i think around £20-£25 a week. it was to basically cover my food.

If your son is working and not in education (college or uni) i would be charging him something or you could have it that he pays for the food shopping say once a month assuming you do a weekly shop

I don't have kids so probably best not placed to comment, however I would charge something.

Gives them an idea of real life and what to expect in the future

I'm sure I was giving my folks £20pw in 1996. 

Do your lad a favour and take £400pm from him and put it in a savings account or an ISA for him. Don't tell him either. Rob a wee bit for food though.

16 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

I don't have kids so probably best not placed to comment, however I would charge something.

Gives them an idea of real life and what to expect in the future

That bit is a good bit of advice, it gives them some experience of the real world

My mum took a nominal amount from me every week.

Turned out that she saved it all up though, and gave it to us when we got married.

To answer the OP - yes, I think you should take digs money from your children.

40 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

when i was in education (school and uni) my parents did not charge me but when i left uni and was looking for a job (i had a job in a supermarket for some money) i got charged i think around £20-£25 a week. it was to basically cover my food.

If your son is working and not in education (college or uni) i would be charging him something or you could have it that he pays for the food shopping say once a month assuming you do a weekly shop

This is exactly what happened to me.

My parents really valued the importance of education.

I was told that so long as you are in education of some sort, digs would not be charged. As soon as I finished uni, it was £150 p/m.

25 minutes ago, Cade said:

If they're working, charge them a bit, up to a maximum of £7,500 a year so you can write it off for tax purposes due to "rent a room"
https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

Tremendous idea. 

chuck it in a savings account. They would thank you in years to come. 

If they're working take digs. Nice idea to give them it back in the future without telling them, if you like.

My old lady took £120 a month back in 1986 when I started work but I was earning decent money in the post office with bags of OT. Then when my kids started working nearly 30 years later, my wife took £120 of them!!!! No accounting for inflation or cost of living!!! Taking digs teaches them basic life lessons in how much stuff costs and budgeting. My kids are both back home and they split my mortgage between while I am abroad. Still a lot less than half of what it would cost them if they rented for themselves. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Brick Tamland said:

Is it right to take digs money of your own kids who live with you and if so how much should you  charge or do you charge? 
Did you pay your own parents digs money when you lived with them and if so how much? 
I don’t charge my own son anything I just get him to buy the food shopping every now and then, just wondered what others thoughts were. 

Take the dig money, squirrel it away for him but most importantly, pass on your wisdom of the ways of online dating. 😉 

Montgomery Brewster
40 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

My old lady took £120 a month back in 1986 when I started work but I was earning decent money in the post office with bags of OT. Then when my kids started working nearly 30 years later, my wife took £120 of them!!!! No accounting for inflation or cost of living!!! Taking digs teaches them basic life lessons in how much stuff costs and budgeting. My kids are both back home and they split my mortgage between while I am abroad. Still a lot less than half of what it would cost them if they rented for themselves. 

Absolutely !

i used to pay 120 a month earning 7.5k a year in 1989.

the bird charges her two 150 a month and they are on 22 and 30k a year. I said she should be at least doubling if not more. At least 300 a month each . 

might make them value what they get and encourage them to move out 😁

28 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Take the dig money, squirrel it away for him but most importantly, pass on your wisdom of the ways of online dating. 😉 

😂

If they are working then it's a yes.

We charged our son & daughter £150 pm each.

The laddie had had a flat of his own but when he lost his job he moved back in with us, needless to say we didn't take digs off him when he was on the dole, he only paid digs when he was back in work.

Daughter got the shock of her life when she moved out and then had to pay for everything, that opened her eyes somewhat, she then realised that £150 pm was an absolute steal.

I think I used to pay £20 pm in digs back in 1977, eventually rising to £75 pm as I earned more, before I left home in 1982.

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

My mum took a nominal amount from me every week.

Turned out that she saved it all up though, and gave it to us when we got married.

To answer the OP - yes, I think you should take digs money from your children.

*****FOR THE ATTENTION OF ANY OF MY OFFSPRING WHO MAY HAVE READ THE ABOVE*****

Don't get your fecking hopes up.

I paid digs. A lot of parents just use it as a good way of teaching kids the value of money, and that food, a roof, electricity etc don't come for free. I think you should charge them.

I paid £10 a week but bought all my own food, did my washing etc.  Was great. 

Ended up buying my flat from my mum too...think she knew I wouldn't be the one moving. 🤣

Depends on the individual. 

I would pay £50 a week while watching my mates stay rent free and have spare money for going out and saving up for holidays etc. 

That's no really mentally good for a young guy. 

8 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Depends on the individual. 

I would pay £50 a week while watching my mates stay rent free and have spare money for going out and saving up for holidays etc. 

That's no really mentally good for a young guy. 

Character building.  :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You must have been paying about a grand a week. 

I’ll be about 20 times the character you are then..  👍

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Which means he’s got 20 times as much character as you. 

Aye, if that was what he was actually meaning  🙂

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Aye, if that was what he was actually meaning  🙂

What else could ‘he’ have meant?

🤷🏿‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

What's the name of that italian restaurant again? 

The Santana Inn.  

Don’t bring your own bottle.  DBYOB.

In fact, don’t bring yourself.  :thumb:

Just now, Morgan said:

The Santana Inn.  

Don’t bring your own bottle.  DBYOB.

In fact, don’t bring yourself.  :thumb:

Aye, well, i wouldnae be bringing myself if you were there, that's for sure. 

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

Aye, well, i wouldnae be bringing myself if you were there, that's for sure. 

Don’t know what you’d be missing, son.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Don’t know what you’d be missing, son.

You're breaking all the rules again Morgan ffs, get back on topic. 

Gorgie Boot boy
7 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

All money into the pot. Hearts money laid to the side. I lose interest after that bit. Dig money depends on a few factors, one is how much do they earn and how much you love or like them. £25 if you love them, £60 if you like them. Everything if you hate them with a passion.

Dennis Reynolds

I paid £150 p/m years ago when I was living with my parents after Uni and looking for my own place. A drop in the ocean to what I ended up paying when I moved out! Bloody wish I'd continued doing that than renting for the following 8 years 🤨

Took £200 a month off our two but only after they started earning. Put it into a savings account without telling them. When they bought their first houses/flats, we gave them that cash back.

3 hours ago, inspector said:

Took £200 a month off our two but only after they started earning. Put it into a savings account without telling them. When they bought their first houses/flats, we gave them that cash back.

It was a really good thing you did putting £150 a month into a savings account for them! 

I'm sure they massively appreciated that £100 a month multiplied over the years :whistling:

7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

*****FOR THE ATTENTION OF ANY OF MY OFFSPRING WHO MAY HAVE READ THE ABOVE*****

Don't get your fecking hopes up.

:lol: 

My parentals took a cut of anything I made was occasionally loosely enforced though.  Didn’t have to pay while at Uni. So I went to uni twice. 👀

Was happy to pay it when asked. Mainly because it made me feel like the old man was less likely to tamper with my tea if I paid. I’m probably wrong though.