Jump to content
rudi must stay

Hearts v Mallorca

Recommended Posts

rudi must stay

Just added by Amoruso Let's It Run on YouTube

 

Roa in goals (he was in goals for Argentina for years, Hector Cupar as manager (look up his Wikipedia) and Lauren at right back (the same Lauren that went to Arsenal and established himself)

 

What a team that Mallorca was, I actually think in hindsight 2-1 was not a bad aggregate score. I think the quality of them knocks the likes of Stuttgart out the water 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

Not to mention Jovan Stankovic in the midfield 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ramrod

Remember the  1st leg at Tynecastle vaguely . 

Their big centre half scored with a header, sure he was quite a famous player , can't remember his name . 

Drew the second leg 1-1 , was there not some carry on with the size of the goal frames of something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nucky Thompson

1-1 draw over in Majorca was impressive. 

Great week in the sun in Magaluf. Hibs were playing Stranraer in the pishing rain that same week after being relegated.

We won the cup and the Hibs went down doodah  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gilamas
1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Remember the  1st leg at Tynecastle vaguely . 

Their big centre half scored with a header, sure he was quite a famous player , can't remember his name . 

Drew the second leg 1-1 , was there not some carry on with the size of the goal frames of something? 

Yeah - the crossbar was higher at one end of one set of goals due to a slope in the pitch, I recall. Hearts were looking to have it postponed but were told to lodge a protest and then play the game under protest. After the game, I am sure UEFA said pretty much "we both your protest ... but you played the game , so you were clearly happy enough. The result stands." It seemed we were cast adrift by not knowing the detail of the rules, only the bigger picture that "morally this is not fair." Plus ca change ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
milky_26
2 minutes ago, Gilamas said:

Yeah - the crossbar was higher at one end of one set of goals due to a slope in the pitch, I recall. Hearts were looking to have it postponed but were told to lodge a protest and then play the game under protest. After the game, I am sure UEFA said pretty much "we both your protest ... but you played the game , so you were clearly happy enough. The result stands." It seemed we were cast adrift by not knowing the detail of the rules, only the bigger picture that "morally this is not fair." Plus ca change ....

didn't mallorca also have the bar lowered to the correct height for the second half when they were defending that goal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874

Maybe a bit long - full game at Tynecastle 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe a bit long - full game at Tynecastle 

 

 

 

Forget the goal and us not scoring 

 

 

It flies by 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LogicalEric

Remember Roa giving Stephane Adam a sly elbow at Tynie. Lauren was absolute lightning on the right wing, sure there was one run in the 2nd half where he left about 4 players for dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LogicalEric
25 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Remember the  1st leg at Tynecastle vaguely . 

Their big centre half scored with a header, sure he was quite a famous player , can't remember his name . 

Drew the second leg 1-1 , was there not some carry on with the size of the goal frames of something? 


Yeah Marcelinho, ended up going to Newcastle for a few million but was always injured. Rousset punched the ball in off him from memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgie Boot boy
24 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

didn't mallorca also have the bar lowered to the correct height for the second half when they were defending that goal?

Wow i remember the crossbar, is the only thing remember about that game as i fell asleep due to much wine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
19 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Wow i remember the crossbar, is the only thing remember about that game as i fell asleep due to much wine

 

Maybe that's how they beat Barca that season. They just got rid of the goal entirely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgie Boot boy
4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

 

Maybe that's how they beat Barca that season. They just got rid of the goal entirely 

Barca were wasted on local wine and fell asleep . Maybe true right enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nookie Bear

Did McCann not get badly injured in Spain?

 

And I thought we had to play the game, despite the crossbar, because 4000 Hearts fans would have rioted. 
 

Rioting would have increased the value of that stadium, mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

We had to play as we didn't have a fax machine to hand to send the protest. After that we took a fax machine with us.

The mound in the middle of the goal was clear as day from the top tier of the stand. No idea how the ref couldn't see it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

It was their 1st ever European tie and they get hit with 4,000 Embra bams on a lottery win of a draw for us.  Some week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack

I don't think I've ever seen as many absolutely rat arsed football fans as I saw in the Hearts end at the away leg, and I count myself among them.

 

:olly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers

I remember they had about 20 fans in the Main Stand. 

 

They had Dani Garcia playing for them that night. He went to Barca the next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auld Reekin'
8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I don't think I've ever seen as many absolutely rat arsed football fans as I saw in the Hearts end at the away leg, and I count myself among them.

 

:olly:

 

I too was vewy, vewy, dwunk at that game...

 

image.jpeg.7daf756f9aaa8c77338d1f7527a5593a.jpeg

 

If I was there at all, that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FERRY HEARTS

I was in 2nd row upper tier nearly fell off when we scored 

Great week in the sun place full Jambos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hesh

My late uncle was there, left his bags in left luggage, went back to get it after the game and it was all locked up. Flew home then went back next weekend to get his stuff back. Bless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fraggle

I was looking at the old ground on Google Street view, trying to rack my brain for some memories. Spent that entire week absolutely blitzed but do remember the locals hanging out their window waving at us all as we all walked up the street to ground, massive twirly and Hearts song loud and proud. Also remember bumping into Sean Connerys brother outside the ground. Will need to find all my pictures and get them scanned and up on here, bound to be some recognisable faces from here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

We stayed in a villa in Santa Ponsa and were rat arsed every night. Spent every night bar one, in Magaluf at Bananas. DJ over the tannoy announces sit down if you hate Hibees and the whole place sat. A dream away trip. Great memories and still laugh when I think of some of the antics. 22 years ago

Edited by Dagger Is Back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locky

Diego Tristan playing for them too. Sure they had Eto'o the season or 2 after as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, LogicalEric said:


Yeah Marcelinho, ended up going to Newcastle for a few million but was always injured. Rousset punched the ball in off him from memory.

I think Marcelinho went on to be one of the regular Spanish football pundits on Sky Sports. 

 

Vividly remember the reports about the height of the goals and pictures of Myles Hogarth standing beneath the crossbar to emphasise how low the goal was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Franksluckypants

It was some away trip - a group of us stayed in an apartment in Cala D'or by the pool costing us a bottle of whisky, as my mate was working there as the head Thomas Cook rep.

 

We did all the evening itinerary we wanted for free including nightly pub crawl, ending in Linekers for our nightly dancing on the table tops and bar to the Hearts song! Had to teach a few Chelsea boys the words.

 

Got major DT's on the Wednesday - partially sorted with a Rioja. Mate wrote off the hire car looking for a spare ticket having taken a drink in each bar in the search. Got off with it and got the ticket, with us all ending up in the away end...brother managed to blag a 5some with 4 fairly attractive ladies who wanted to try some Scottish kilted long haired ginger gaji.

 

Had to watch the match again when I got home to check who was actually playing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
farin
4 hours ago, AndyNic said:

Pennant-Real-Mallorca-v-Hearts-1998-European-Cup.jpg

 

That’s a nice pennant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren

I saw Real Mallorca three times that season. Home and away against Hearts and also in the final when they lost in Birmingham. That was the last ever cup winners cup season.   Flew down on the same plane as Vincent Guerin who was one of the previous winners on the pitch prior to the match. 
 

Great trip away. Went on the ‘offishul’ club charter.  Would be good to get some decent Euro trips again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tokyo Drifter
15 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Just added by Amoruso Let's It Run on YouTube

 

Roa in goals (he was in goals for Argentina for years, Hector Cupar as manager (look up his Wikipedia) and Lauren at right back (the same Lauren that went to Arsenal and established himself)

 

What a team that Mallorca was, I actually think in hindsight 2-1 was not a bad aggregate score. I think the quality of them knocks the likes of Stuttgart out the water 

 

Was that Goalgate? Remember nothing about the game except some stushie about the size of what we used to call 'the bangers'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
15 hours ago, ramrod said:

Remember the  1st leg at Tynecastle vaguely . 

Their big centre half scored with a header, sure he was quite a famous player , can't remember his name . 

Drew the second leg 1-1 , was there not some carry on with the size of the goal frames of something? 

Aye dodgy goals, was ragin at that 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
14 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Wow i remember the crossbar, is the only thing remember about that game as i fell asleep due to much wine

No doubt concorde wine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PapaShango

Pretty sure Mallorca made it all the way to the final that season only to lose to Lazio at Villa Park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin

In the home end with bottles of Buckie. 

 

:sweeet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Pretty sure Mallorca made it all the way to the final that season only to lose to Lazio at Villa Park. 

They did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

In the home end with bottles of Buckie. 

 

:sweeet:

Classy. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Classy. 😜

 

You wouldn't know class, dave. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

You wouldn't know class, dave. :(

Possibly correct. :sadrobbo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
munich_veteran

A couple of souvenirs from that trip.

IMG_2529.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Possibly correct. :sadrobbo:

 

:D

 

I'll have to dig out the photos.

 

Possibly a few featuring @Nucky Thompsonand @Geoff the Minceamongst other assorted ne'er-do-wells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rudy T

I remember the draw and it came down to us playing Mallorca or some Turkish outfit (iirc) Mallorca were drawn and a weeks holiday was booked about 30 seconds later. 

 

I remember the first night and the cops were everywhere, Chelsea had been there previously and they were wary, soon realised we weren't a risk and let us get on with it. I've never seen so many families on a Hearts euro away, a few confused looking wife's as husbands explained why he'd booked that wee surprise week in Spain for the family.

 

I don't think I knew anything about the goals until after the game, I do remember their cheerleader behind the goal, was all for a snippet taking him out half way through the first half.

 

i also vaguely remember someone swaping their brand new Hearts strip for a Mallorca top with a local without noticing the name of a Rangers player (Amato?) on the back once he noticed said local was long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM

I went on the official flight as I could only go for a couple of days

My memory is at the airport on the way home after the game taking a piss next to one of the Hearts directors assuring me we had signed a Spanish wonderkid.

Juanjo made his debut at the weekend after. Closest to in the know info I've ever had 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboy1982

Still got my Mallorca scarf that I swapped with some Spaniard after the game. Great trip!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender

Carlton Hibs SC organised a 22 man golf trip at the same time. Bumped into a few of them who said the bar in their hotel was their favourite on the Island. 😊

Edited by Weakened Offender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgie Boot boy

Went for two days , spent most of the time under a tree drinking wine, Remembering **** the hibs and a wonky crossbar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dannymack
17 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I remember the draw and it came down to us playing Mallorca or some Turkish outfit (iirc) Mallorca were drawn and a weeks holiday was booked about 30 seconds later. 

 

I remember the first night and the cops were everywhere, Chelsea had been there previously and they were wary, soon realised we weren't a risk and let us get on with it. I've never seen so many families on a Hearts euro away, a few confused looking wife's as husbands explained why he'd booked that wee surprise week in Spain for the family.

 

I don't think I knew anything about the goals until after the game, I do remember their cheerleader behind the goal, was all for a snippet taking him out half way through the first half.

 

i also vaguely remember someone swaping their brand new Hearts strip for a Mallorca top with a local without noticing the name of a Rangers player (Amato?) on the back once he noticed said local was long gone.

 

Couldn't have been Chelsea unless it was a Headhunters Holiday. 

 

Chelsea played them in the Semi Final months later, a few of my mates were there, no trouble whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rudy T
2 hours ago, dannymack said:

 

Couldn't have been Chelsea unless it was a Headhunters Holiday. 

 

Chelsea played them in the Semi Final months later, a few of my mates were there, no trouble whatsoever.

 

Maybe wasn't Chelsea it was a while ago and there was plenty booze involved.

 

Mallorca, Bordeaux, Tottenham, Liverpool and Stuttgart are my  top 5 euro aways, my first was Leige around 92 I think.

 

Lets hope one day we get back there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Der Kaiser

Fantastic weeks holiday. Quite surreal. 

 

I'd put two nights in my top 10 of most drunk ever in my life.

Bought tickets from a bar owner called Coe.....quite clearly fake as they looked like they'd been coloured in by school children...still got us in though.

We had an inflatable Alien with us at the game.....I dont recall why?

Had our photo taken with the riot police....they were not impressed.

Got lost one morning hungover looking for bread and cheese....think I almost walked the entire bloody island before finding my hotel.

 

Nights in Bananas too drunk to even stand.

 

Got hit with a confetti cannon in another club.

 

We faked a fight and my death to confuse a peeping tom who watched us from a nearby block of flats.

 

Waving at two lassies at another flat balcony on another night and they suddenly brought out a monkey? Yes. A real monkey.

 

A truly fantastic week.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...