James Anderson

Craig_

This could probably go in the Tesla thread, but it appears our benefactor has done extremely well out of Elon Musk's outfit over the last few years. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/11/scottish-firm-investing-in-tesla-baillie-gifford

Now if even a small fraction of this was to head Gorgie-ward, he could quite feasibly turn Scottish football on its head, if he so desired. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• DETTY29

• OTT

• Mikey1874

Ann said that the benefactor's have committed to another 5 years, i would imagine that that just means James Anderson, 

His wealth doesn't mean he's going to put even more money in IMO

32 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Ann said that the benefactor's have committed to another 5 years, i would imagine that that just means James Anderson, 

Yup, nor should anyone expect that. JA is obviously a smart guy, I'd rather have his time than his money. We had money with vlad and got nowhere. I'd rather have someone like JA on our board trying to drive the club forward than chucking money at what ultimately are still shite players who aren't going to win us much. 

I'd love to see him invest in the infrastructure of the club though alongside the fans. Look to improve the stadium and increase capacity, create alternative revenue streams for the club..

There is zero point chucking money at players if its unsustainable. Spend the next decade building and put the club in a situation where we have first class facilities top to bottom, and a youth academy churning out 4/5 players a season with regular 7 figure sales. With the size of Edinburgh, I really don't think its delusional to be aiming for 30k capacity over a gradual rebuild (i.e one stand at a time so we can gauge demand/ not spend loads at once).

I don't want boom and bust, I want long term stability with a view of challenging the OF and leaving the other 9 clubs far behind us financially through the growing of the business. Its a bit boring, but once we manage that retaining talent becomes easier and we can demand higher fees (as can pay more) it all kind of snowballs. 

3 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Anyone else heard about him recently relinquishing his duties at Baillie Gifford and him being invited to join the HMFC board in an official capacity?

No, but that would be nice. 

8 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Why just James Anderson? He wasn’t our only benefactor.

7 hours ago, OTT said:

Yup, nor should anyone expect that. JA is obviously a smart guy, I'd rather have his time than his money. We had money with vlad and got nowhere. I'd rather have someone like JA on our board trying to drive the club forward than chucking money at what ultimately are still shite players who aren't going to win us much. 

I'd love to see him invest in the infrastructure of the club though alongside the fans. Look to improve the stadium and increase capacity, create alternative revenue streams for the club..

There is zero point chucking money at players if its unsustainable. Spend the next decade building and put the club in a situation where we have first class facilities top to bottom, and a youth academy churning out 4/5 players a season with regular 7 figure sales. With the size of Edinburgh, I really don't think its delusional to be aiming for 30k capacity over a gradual rebuild (i.e one stand at a time so we can gauge demand/ not spend loads at once).

I don't want boom and bust, I want long term stability with a view of challenging the OF and leaving the other 9 clubs far behind us financially through the growing of the business. Its a bit boring, but once we manage that retaining talent becomes easier and we can demand higher fees (as can pay more) it all kind of snowballs. 

Good post...dare I say that the man himself is learning a bit about football after our recent decline on the pitch.  I can, however, see him offering investment when he thinks the team is settled back in the SPL at the top end of the table, after being more prudent getting there in the first place.

A more suitable situation of seeing the team on an upward curve and feeling the investment is more worthwhile in the hope it pushes us to the next level.

All a bit of a dream just now though. 😏

8 hours ago, OTT said:

Superb post 👏👏👏

34 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Good post...dare I say that the man himself is learning a bit about football after our recent decline on the pitch.  I can, however, see him offering investment when he thinks the team is settled back in the SPL at the top end of the table, after being more prudent getting there in the first place.

A more suitable situation of seeing the team on an upward curve and feeling the investment is more worthwhile in the hope it pushes us to the next level.

All a bit of a dream just now though. 😏

...he's probably learned more about the idiots running Scottish football this year, also. Would be interesting to get his take on the last 6 months!

I would like to to see him (and a few of his rich pals) developing a TV company for Scottish football... so that we don't have to rely on dungcaster's pishy SKY deals every few years.

50 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Anyone else heard about him recently relinquishing his duties at Baillie Gifford and him being invited to join the HMFC board in an official capacity?

I’ve heard from an associate of his that he’s stepping down. Don't know if he’s becoming more involved with us but would be a great acquisition if he joined our board. 

8 hours ago, OTT said:

Absolutely bang on the cash. Could not agree more.

I've no doubt JA is a highly paid, highly bonus related wealthy individual but he is the Senior Fund Manager (or equivalent) of the fund.  Not the owner or direct beneficiary.

Talk of chucking £100ms our way at once.........

6 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I've no doubt JA is a highly paid, highly bonus related wealthy individual but he is the Senior Fund Manager (or equivalent) of the fund.  Not the owner or direct beneficiary.

I agree with you about the chucking £100m at us. I’m more into what @OTT suggests, and I have been since it became common knowledge who he was. I think he actually owned a percentage in the fund though. He will be extremely wealthy.

2 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I agree with you about the chucking £100m at us. I’m more into what @OTT suggests, and I have been since it became common knowledge who he was. I think he actually owned a percentage in the fund though. He will be extremely wealthy.

If he does own a percentage of a £11-12bn fund, then wow.....

I agreed with @OTT too.  The benefactors provided us with an additional £1m in the last accounts to be used as wages and depending upon how it is spent, is hardly worth it.

9 hours ago, OTT said:

Nice to read some coherent comments on here. Absolutely spot on.

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

If he does own a percentage of a £11-12bn fund, then wow.....

I agreed with @OTT too.  The benefactors provided us with an additional £1m in the last accounts to be used as wages and depending upon how it is spent, is hardly worth it.

It’s always been my view of how FoH should be used going forwards, but if Anderson was to come onboard in a more official capacity, then maybe he could do it instead. Once things return to normal and we are earning money from football again as a club, then I’d like to see us use other funds, whether that’s FoH or a rich associate, to build our revenue streams. Grow the club, not just the wage bill.

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

If I was him I'd be offering my services elsewhere. 

Scottish Football is a joke.

If I had 50squillion quid I’d be helping hearts

From what I’d heard, his name becoming public as a benefactor of ours and the man who was willing to pump millions into Scottish football, coincided with him ‘stepping down’ at Baillie Gifford. 

I think he owned a 5% stake in their fund which if valued at 9 Billion, gives a personal wealth of 450m?

It’s hardly surprising he’s worth that sort of money, chucking 3m at Scottish fitba without batting an eyelid kinda suggested he was.

I don’t know how much difference it would make if he were to join the board in an official capacity, tbh. Perhaps it would ensure Ann’s morals and values were continued after she leaves?

27 minutes ago, Whatever said:

From what I’d heard, his name becoming public as a benefactor of ours and the man who was willing to pump millions into Scottish football, coincided with him ‘stepping down’ at Baillie Gifford. 

I think he owned a 5% stake in their fund which if valued at 9 Billion, gives a personal wealth of 450m?

It’s hardly surprising he’s worth that sort of money, chucking 3m at Scottish fitba without batting an eyelid kinda suggested he was.

I don’t know how much difference it would make if he were to join the board in an official capacity, tbh. Perhaps it would ensure Ann’s morals and values were continued after she leaves?

Last paragraph is where it’s at for me. Although I think it would make a massive difference having him onboard. He clearly knows how to make money, and it’s be great to have him do it for our football club. 

As long as Celtic and Rangers are in the same league as us, it would take a serious amount of financial investment for us to challenge them.

I see James Anderson as our opportunity to do so, I really hope he gets on board. At least once in my lifetime, I would love to see us winning the league.

It’s happened down south with Chelsea and Man City, it’s massive financial injection that has made all the difference to them.

FOH subscriptions and other uses for the stadium will definitely help us consolidate 3rd spot, but winning the league on a regular basis would need something extraordinary to happen.

James Anderson officially joining Hearts, IMO would make us serious contenders. I think we really need to roll out the red carpet for this guy. By the way, the vermin supporters absolutely hate the thought of something like this happening, it troubles them deeply, the thought of decades of dominance from their considerably richer neighbours.

58 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

If I was him I'd be offering my services elsewhere. 

Scottish Football is a joke.

Your right but the man obviously has an interest in Scottish football as per his donations over the summer,  and he has been seen watching Hearts from the directors box in the past. These people are exactly the type within the business community that would have ideas and contacts to grow the turnover of Hearts. 

Mixed feelings. 

HMFC run sensibly, within our collective means and a bit of extra back up from JA sounds ideal, sustainable and the way ahead. 

However, I want a title. 

Buy one, then a place in the following season's CL and elevate Hearts to a higher, but ultimately sustainable, level with the cash that would come in. 

All speculative, of course, but I often wonder how things would have panned out if we'd beaten AEK in 2006 and Romanov's plan came to fruition. No doubt he'd have waded in and fecked it up, anyway, but I doubt JA would. 

Glamorgan Jambo
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

A few years ago I read an interview with him where he mentioned we was close to owning either 2 or 3 per cent of Scottish Mortgage. Even if I'm totally mis remembering and it was only 1% that would make his current stake worth £140 million. His net worth is comfortably in the low 100s of millions. (subject to the valuation of SMT). And of course he's not going to chuck 100 million our way. But he's already given us without any rights to ownership in the region of 10 million. If he wants to continue I'm all in favour of it all being related to infrastructure.

2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I’ve heard from an associate of his that he’s stepping down. Don't know if he’s becoming more involved with us but would be a great acquisition if he joined our board. 

He's been less involved in recent years anyway. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

He's concentrating more on writing research for investments. He'll still jointly head up the SMT fund. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

46 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

A few years ago I read an interview with him where he mentioned we was close to owning either 2 or 3 per cent of Scottish Mortgage. Even if I'm totally mis remembering and it was only 1% that would make his current stake worth £140 million. His net worth is comfortably in the low 100s of millions. (subject to the valuation of SMT). And of course he's not going to chuck 100 million our way. But he's already given us without any rights to ownership in the region of 10 million. If he wants to continue I'm all in favour of it all being related to infrastructure.

Cheers.

He's done well to keep a very low 'public' profile till now, avoiding even Edinburgh rich lists I've come across.

4 hours ago, Whatever said:

No way is he walking away yet.  A few more years down the line, OK but not right now.  Markets are volatile and the fund will do all it can to keep its managers in place for the time being.

15 hours ago, OTT said:

Far too sensible a post for JKB ......   🙂 

If that last 2 years have taught us nothing else,  money alone does not improve the team or club.   Wisdom/cunning/prudence/inspiration/leadership/work ethic/motivation/team building/goal setting   etc  ....  various  attributes like those are needed at board level and within the football management team to ensure that money is used effectively.    

Does anyone know where he was born / comes from? Listened to an interview and can't tell if he is Scottish (Colin Montgomerie 'Scottish') or just an Englishman with a keen interest in Hearts.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, martoon said:

Mixed feelings. 

HMFC run sensibly, within our collective means and a bit of extra back up from JA sounds ideal, sustainable and the way ahead. 

However, I want a title. 

Buy one, then a place in the following season's CL and elevate Hearts to a higher, but ultimately sustainable, level with the cash that would come in. 

All speculative, of course, but I often wonder how things would have panned out if we'd beaten AEK in 2006 and Romanov's plan came to fruition. No doubt he'd have waded in and fecked it up, anyway, but I doubt JA would. 

The one thing the Romanov time did prove is that you don't need to spend the same as the OF to get close to them. We still had a wage bill that was a fraction of theirs. The key is to bring in a MUCH better standard of player in all the key positions and a top manager although even then we still finished second with about 4 managers that season, so even the manager isn't the key thing. It's spending to retain your best players and bring in serious quality throughout the team. Romanov proved that can be done without spending as much as Celtic and Rangers. However he also proved it can't be done sustainably over a few seasons if the gamble (to get into the CL) fails.

4 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Does anyone know where he was born / comes from? Listened to an interview and can't tell if he is Scottish (Colin Montgomerie 'Scottish') or just an Englishman with a keen interest in Hearts.

Just seen an interview there and definitely sounds English. I had assumed he was Edinburgh born and bred.

5 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Just seen an interview there and definitely sounds English. I had assumed he was Edinburgh born and bred.

There’s a lot of Edinburgh born and bred like that. 😄

4 hours ago, jambo89 said:

He's from Norfolk and describes himself as being 'of Scottish Stock' so at least one Scottish parent I'd think. Went to Oxford Uni and didn't move to Scotland until an adult. There's an interview in the Scotsman online somewhere. 

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The one thing the Romanov time did prove is that you don't need to spend the same as the OF to get close to them. We still had a wage bill that was a fraction of theirs. The key is to bring in a MUCH better standard of player in all the key positions and a top manager although even then we still finished second with about 4 managers that season, so even the manager isn't the key thing. It's spending to retain your best players and bring in serious quality throughout the team. Romanov proved that can be done without spending as much as Celtic and Rangers. However he also proved it can't be done sustainably over a few seasons if the gamble (to get into the CL) fails.

There’s a few things that can be crucial but I really believe a good manager makes that bit of a difference. Ultimately, and in most cases, he’ll be the one that’s brought most of the players to the club and knows what he wants from them and what makes them tick.

In 2006 we made that good a start that I believe the players carried themselves for a decent time after Burley left.  Facts are, Rix only won 6 league matches in 16 until his sacking in March 2006. It’s debatable as to whether that would’ve happened under Burley?  Too much change hampered us that season in the league as we sought the holy grail. 

20 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm with the OP.  He could slip us £500m and never miss it.

Do the right thing James.

This board would probably divi it up with other clubs.

Leveins Battalion

James Anderson must feel like a grade A prick,despite his huge contribution Ann Budge has managed to lead us to relegation,unable to play football and a shambles.

That and the SPFL taking the piss.

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

James Anderson must feel like a grade A prick,despite his huge contribution Ann Budge has managed to lead us to relegation,unable to play football and a shambles.

Not as much you appear to be tbh.

Congratulations btw as its obviously something you aspire to.

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

It’s always been my view of how FoH should be used going forwards, but if Anderson was to come onboard in a more official capacity, then maybe he could do it instead. Once things return to normal and we are earning money from football again as a club, then I’d like to see us use other funds, whether that’s FoH or a rich associate, to build our revenue streams. Grow the club, not just the wage bill.

I am still intrigued at what Ann Budge was saying last month about plans the club has, in particularly about growing the club's brand abroad. If he was to come onto the board the contacts alone he has in the business world could be very useful. But I think the right investment in the club could go along way in football side, off field side and community side. I completely agree with you that I see him like FoH, it is a source of money to build the club not to pay the wage bill (except in extraordinary circumstances like at the moment.) Invest in building revenue streams then the money comes to improve our teams level. 

Am I right in thinking that JA and his benefactor colleagues are donating the equivalent amount which a shirt sponsor would bring in, so that we carry the Save the Children logo (free of charge) ?     With Hibs having "Thank you NHS" on their shirts instead of commercial sponsors, does that mean they also have a benefactor chucking in the equivalent money ? If so, anyone know who it is ?   Sir Tom ?  Andy Murray ?    Proclaimers ?  Stotty ?  Local drug dealer ?      

Edited by Lone Striker

3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Boy is rich as ****.  I’m not sure he feels daft at all.

i also feel he’s more of a Samaritan towards Scottish football tbh.