Quick Pc Help

Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle

Im currently "fixing" a mates pc. He had the "blue screen of death" but i think i know how to fix it but when i enter the recovery disc im prompted for an admin password. I have tried the user admin password and other things the boy has suggested but nothing. Have tried changing the system passwords but still nothing.

Does anyone have a Dell and knows the default admin password or know were to find them?

cheers

you could try activ@ password changer http://www.password-changer.com/download.htm which is quite a powerful tool. Alternatively you simply move towards deleting the SAM file found in the Windows\system32\config folder.

Note that this file has all the users, passwords and other user/group settings, and deleting it might just cause you other problems, so (be warned!). However, deleting the file will cause XP to create a new blank one, with the administrator's password set to blank.

Last resort only though.

Sexton Hardcastle

I caant get inthe pc at all so anything needing done needs done on boot up. It comes up " dumping physical memory" and crashes. I have the disc to repair the corruption but when i get into the recovery console it says "enter admin password". which we dont know.

I thought there mite be a generic Dell one ? If not could be in some bother

If its a Dell PC have you tried contacting them to see if they have a generic password. Or have you tried typing in admin as a lot of default passwords are set as admin

I caant get inthe pc at all so anything needing done needs done on boot up. It comes up " dumping physical memory" and crashes. I have the disc to repair the corruption but when i get into the recovery console it says "enter admin password". which we dont know.

I thought there mite be a generic Dell one ? If not could be in some bother

Are you aware of DOS?

kiltedjedi
Im currently "fixing" a mates pc. He had the "blue screen of death" but i think i know how to fix it but when i enter the recovery disc im prompted for an admin password. I have tried the user admin password and other things the boy has suggested but nothing. Have tried changing the system passwords but still nothing.

Does anyone have a Dell and knows the default admin password or know were to find them?

cheers

Pretty sure linux live distros such as knoppix come with at least the ability to rest any windows admin password. If you have ERD commander then you can reset the password from there

Could also try any of the tools linked from here http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Pretty sure linux live distros such as knoppix come with at least the ability to rest any windows admin password. If you have ERD commander then you can reset the password from there

Could also try any of the tools linked from here http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

I like Knoppix. Knoppix is a cool distro thats bootable from the CD and even comes with such tools as WireShark.

Angry Haggis

Pretty sure running windows recovery console uses local admin credentials - if you dont know the local admin password you could use something like Hirens boot CD, Active Password manager. Recovery Console is designed for advanced users who know their way around DOS.

I would advise using the recovery CD you have - at boot up go through the prompts as if you are performing a clean re-install of windows - at this stage it should recognise the current install and offer an attempted repair without the requirment of local admin credentials. This way it should not overwrite any user data - depending on how critical the data is in the drive you may want to mount the drive to usb on another pc\laptop first and copy off what is required before messing around with re-install\repairs.

One of these fellies is ideal for the task:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=48965&doy=5m7

(think you can get them cheaper elsewhere) :)

Feel free to PM if you need further info.

Archived