Wild Campers

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

Are these erses for real? Drove approx 55 miles today to Inversnaid on Loch Lomond and the last 15 miles from Aberfoyle took as long as it did for me to reach Aberfoyle from Blackburn due to them using passing places on the single track road as their personal parking place. Twice I grounded out the car because I had to drop my nearside wheels into ditches to allow other cars past whilst they sit by their tents watching. Plenty signs telling them not to park in them and you now need a permit to camp between March/September. Chances of most of them having permits will be slim and if they do have them I'll hazard a guess there will be a bit on it telling them not to use passing places to park in. Even passed 1 guy munching a sarnie in the boot of his hatchback gazing at Loch Ard, guy I had to stop to let past gave him abuse and I reminded him it was a passing place, he just blanked both of us and continued eating.

Thoughts Kickback?

Folk have lost their minds this year.

Wild Camping has surged in popularity but none of the newcomers have a clue what responsibilities they have to clean up after themselves, how to keep fires safe or how to not cause undue damage to the land they're on.

They just rock up, have a drunken party and leave the site a total wreck with human shite spread all around the place as well as rotten food, chairs, tents, disposable bbqs and piles of other random garbage.

Absolute animals. 

Stiff fines need to be imposed but policing it is almost impossible due to trying to identify groups.

Doctor FinnBarr
19 minutes ago, Cade said:

Wild Camping has surged in popularity but none of the newcomers have a clue what responsibilities they have to clean up after themselves, how to keep fires safe or how to not cause undue damage to the land they're on.

They just rock up, have a drunken party and leave the site a total wreck with human shite spread all around the place as well as rotten food, chairs, tents, disposable bbqs and piles of other random garbage.

Absolute animals. 

Stiff fines need to be imposed but policing it is almost impossible due to trying to identify groups.

I went for a wee walk on the West Highland way with the daughter, a Pakistani/Indian family who had just got off the ferry boat at Inversnaid had decided to light a fire on a bit of shingle beach then walked away leaving it burning, we put it out for them.

Weakened Offender
11 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I went for a wee walk on the West Highland way with the daughter, a Pakistani/Indian family who had just got off the ferry boat at Inversnaid had decided to light a fire on a bit of shingle beach then walked away leaving it burning, we put it out for them.

Beach litter is incredible in this day and age. What people just get up and leave behind is outrageous. I can sort of shrug off kids leaving stuff but when you see what families leave behind you realise how many complete selfish scumbags exist. Even the beaches where there are bins, folk just don't care. Pondlife cretins. 

Auld Reekin'
35 minutes ago, Cade said:

Absolute animals. 

Exactly. Don't do it ourselves - we have a campervan but always go to sites and use the facilities there - but our neighbours have wild-camped in their 'van for years and don't cause any problems to anyone and are considerate to a fault. As with so many other areas of life it's the ignorant, uncaring, and irresponsible minority that spoil it for everyone else.

Auld Reekin'
14 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Beach litter is incredible in this day and age. What people just get up and leave behind is outrageous. I can sort of shrug off kids leaving stuff but when you see what families leave behind you realise how many complete selfish scumbags exist. Even the beaches where there are bins, folk just don't care. Pondlife cretins. 

On that note, the wee single-track country road leading to where we live has become much busier recently with many more folk using it for walking, cycling, jogging, dog-walking, horse-riding, etc.. That's all fine and to be expected in the recent circumstances. What is truly baffling and incredibly annoying is the resultant increase in litter and dog-shite. Presumably, folk from town come here in the first place because it is a nice, quiet, unspoilt, wee road, with an abundance of natural vegetation and wildlife along it. On the assumption that they wouldn't bother themselves walking a mile or two to take exercise along a linear rubbish tip, liberally besmirched with canine crap, why are they apparently so determined to turn it into exactly that?

:facepalm:

Izzit 'cos they is *****?

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Weakened Offender
24 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

On that note, the wee single-track country road leading to where we live has become much busier recently with many more folk using it for walking, cycling, jogging, dog-walking, horse-riding, etc.. That's all fine and to be expected in the recent circumstances. What is truly baffling and incredibly annoying is the resultant increase in litter and dog-shite. Presumably, folk from town come here in the first place because it is a nice, quiet, unspoilt, wee road, with an abundance of natural vegetation and wildlife along it. On the assumption that they wouldn't bother themselves walking a mile or two to take exercise along a linear rubbish tip, liberally besmirched with canine crap, why are they apparently so determined to turn it into exactly that?

:facepalm:

Izzit 'cos they is *****?

Yip, another one that I find completely baffling, people who take their dog out in the country, let it have a shite and then pop it in a bag and leave it dangling from a tree or tied to a fence/gate. WTF goes through their silly wee heads?

Doctor FinnBarr
28 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Yip, another one that I find completely baffling, people who take their dog out in the country, let it have a shite and then pop it in a bag and leave it dangling from a tree or tied to a fence/gate. WTF goes through their silly wee heads?

Aye, thats another thing from today, we were sat on seats outside the Inversnaid hotel which is still closed and some twat had tied a bag of poo onto the 2 big bins ootside rather than lift the lid and put it inside.

And don't even start me on Almondell country park as you enter from Mid Calder

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

highlandjambo3
8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Are these erses for real? Drove approx 55 miles today to Inversnaid on Loch Lomond and the last 15 miles from Aberfoyle took as long as it did for me to reach Aberfoyle from Blackburn due to them using passing places on the single track road as their personal parking place. Twice I grounded out the car because I had to drop my nearside wheels into ditches to allow other cars past whilst they sit by their tents watching. Plenty signs telling them not to park in them and you now need a permit to camp between March/September. Chances of most of them having permits will be slim and if they do have them I'll hazard a guess there will be a bit on it telling them not to use passing places to park in. Even passed 1 guy munching a sarnie in the boot of his hatchback gazing at Loch Ard, guy I had to stop to let past gave him abuse and I reminded him it was a passing place, he just blanked both of us and continued eating.

Thoughts Kickback?

Loch Lomond area is always rammed with weegies with their buckfast.....been going on for years now 

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

This.

Arseholes can't go abroad and ruin other countries so are ruining this one.

Go onto Gorgie Road during school lunch hour and watch bairns dropping rubbish all over the shop. What we need is more 1970's style public information films like the Learn to Swim and  the downright terrifying don't go in ponds and stuff one. Scare the shit out of folk. That's whats missing. Nobody's scared shitless when they're kids anymore.

Show this to your kids and I can guarantee they won't EVER go in water again.

And on the subject of dog walkers. We got a dug in November. I have NEVER left a shite lying. I even went home, got a bag and went back out to get it cos I'd no bags with me. The most annoying and ridiculous thing is bagging it then leaving the bag. What is the ******* point?

26 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

And on the subject of dog walkers. We got a dug in November. I have NEVER left a shite lying. I even went home, got a bag and went back out to get it cos I'd no bags with me. The most annoying and ridiculous thing is bagging it then leaving the bag. What is the ******* point?

Usually hanging from a tree branch as well.

We used to have a real problem with folks camping along the old B709 road 'the granites' going from Innerleithen to near North Middleton (A7).

That in itself wasn't a problem it was the mess some of them left behind which was.

In the end the council go so fed up with the mess left behind they dug a 2-3 feet trench along large sections of where people would just drive and camp alongside Leithen Water. 

Most folks were usually careful with fires and took their rubbish away with them, but it's always the few that don't who spoil it for everyone.

The poo bags on trees thing.

This is not always the case and I agree there are some complete arseholes out there who do leave it.

Occasionally I will bag a dog crap and hang it.

The only reason is if I’m on a long walk and generally my dog craps right at the beginning of the walk. No point carrying it all the way round so I hang it before removing it when I get back to the start.

Anyone seeing this would assume I’m an inconsiderate bawbag for leaving it but it’s not the case.

16 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

This is not always the case and I agree there are some complete arseholes out there who do leave it.

The only reason is if I’m on a long walk and generally my dog craps right at the beginning of the walk. No point carrying it all the way round so I hang it before removing it when I get back to the start.

Anyone seeing this would assume I’m an inconsiderate bawbag for leaving it but it’s not the case.

It's a disgusting eyesore for everyone that passes while you continue your walk. By all means put it aside, away from the path to collect later. Not hanging on a tree.

Nearly all the ones left, do not get recollected though.

I am a dog owner 

Edited by Tommy Brown

Governor Tarkin

Is wild camping not just camping?

Been doing it for years and never had any bother. We tend not to bother with tents these days and just chuck up a hamock between a couple of trees with a basha for shelter. Sometimes just a bivvy bag by the fire. There's really no need to leave any footprint at all with a bit of consideration and minimal effort.

We desperately need the return of cheap foreign package holidays. I mind years ago that the Rockness festival always had a good crowd and laid back atmosphere as Coloursfest at the Braehead Arena was on the same weekend and kept most of the absolute scumbags occupied. Magaluf, Malia, etc, perform a similar function.

I'd seriously consider having those ****s that trash the countryside shot.

indianajones

If you are camping next to your car, its not wild camping.

Camping and wild camping are different things in the eyes of SOAC.

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

You could add a bit of tinsel to make them look more attractive.

Harry Potter
12 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Thoughts Kickback?

clowns mate, seem to more about than ever now, they dont care about anything.

32 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

You could add a bit of tinsel to make them look more attractive.

To be fair my daughter said this but, round Carrick Knowe Golf course unless their walk lasts a week it ain’t happening 

Love wild camping. You'll get pricks wild camping, at campsites, in hotels and in their own homes too, sadly. 

We should encourage people to enjoy the great outdoors more by making it easy for those who do it responsibility and hammer those who don't.

indianajones
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Love wild camping. You'll get pricks wild camping, at campsites, in hotels and in their own homes too, sadly. 

We should encourage people to enjoy the great outdoors more by making it easy for those who do it responsibility and hammer those who don't.

Percentage of pricks that wild camp is extremely low imo. Yeah they'll no doubt be a few but you would be really hard pressed to find them. 

It’s not wild camping if you don’t have a hike to where you choose to set up camp. 100 yards from a parking spot doesn’t cut it for me. Before it was called wild camping and just called camping a mate and I used to get a random bus to the borders and get off somewhere in the middle of nowhere and just walk away from the road until we found a decent place and base ourselves there. You can’t beat sitting with a drink or a smoke watching the sun go down over the hills knowing there’s nobody else for miles around. 

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Percentage of pricks that wild camp is extremely low imo. Yeah they'll no doubt be a few but you would be really hard pressed to find them. 

Absolutely agree 👍

The people that leave mess behind after camping are disgusting cretins, people with complete distain for the area and for the country they pitch up. 

The following pictures were taken in June in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park. What kind of thick arse hole does any of this? 

loch-lomond-litter.jpg?w=1240

loch-lomod-litter-3.jpg?strip=all&w=360

There is a very good reason that Loch Lomond was excluded from the wild camping laws when they were first introduced in Scotland.

The Government knew the buskfast quaffing weegie scaffs couldn't be trusted.

Governor Tarkin
13 hours ago, Sarah O said:

The people that leave mess behind after camping are disgusting cretins, people with complete distain for the area and for the country they pitch up. 

The following pictures were taken in June in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park. What kind of thick arse hole does any of this? 

Weegies.

13 hours ago, Cade said:

There is a very good reason that Loch Lomond was excluded from the wild camping laws when they were first introduced in Scotland.

The Government knew the buskfast quaffing weegie scaffs couldn't be trusted.

:spoton:

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Beyond words,

Lone Striker

Another aspect of the "trash" camping epidemic is that  many  assume the "right to roam" legislation  means they can do it absolutely anywhere without asking permission from landowners/farmers, and just climb over locked farm gates and fences.     The posters above are right - the responsible ones are being implicated by the stupidity of the dafties & trashers.

The Out of Doors program on R.Scotland had a feature on this a few weeks ago - they  interviewed a New Zealand tourist chappie and asked how they managed to keep their countryside clean.  He said they've removed all litter bins from areas which attract tourists and campers - forcing folk to take all their stuff away -  and regularly put out info TV/online  adverts to remind people of the penalties for littering etc.  They also have rangers doing random checks and talking to campers etc.  Seems like a long-term education exercise which is paying off. 

Basically, it just seems they have a much higher percentage of population who take pride in their countryside than us.   

p.s.    In that first photo on the Loch Lomond shoreline, are fans of the Bigot Brothers now setting up their own rival sh1tholes   as  indicated by the UJ on the tree ?     "Nae Tims here .... their  sh1thole's  further long the shore" .

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Another aspect of the "trash" camping epidemic is that  many  assume the "right to roam" legislation  means they can do it absolutely anywhere without asking permission from landowners/farmers, and just climb over locked farm gates and fences.     The posters above are right - the responsible ones are being implicated by the stupidity of the dafties & trashers.

The Out of Doors program on R.Scotland had a feature on this a few weeks ago - they  interviewed a New Zealand tourist chappie and asked how they managed to keep their countryside clean.  He said they've removed all litter bins from areas which attract tourists and campers - forcing folk to take all their stuff away -  and regularly put out info TV/online  adverts to remind people of the penalties for littering etc.  They also have rangers doing random checks and talking to campers etc.  Seems like a long-term education exercise which is paying off. 

Basically, it just seems they have a much higher percentage of population who take pride in their countryside than us.   

p.s.    In that first photo on the Loch Lomond shoreline, are fans of the Bigot Brothers now setting up their own rival sh1tholes   as  indicated by the UJ on the tree ?     "Nae Tims here .... their  sh1thole's  further long the shore" .

The difference is that here - and I mean by that the UK, not just Scotland, as there are apparently scenes every bit as bad as the ones posted in the Lake District, for example - removing all litter bins from such areas would "force" the dafties & trashers to leave all their shite behind them (as of course they do anyway, but they might just feel more justified in doing so, if they gave a toss either way).

As you state above, it's a question of pride in your countryside and this can only be engendered by a huge cultural and educational shift in people's attitudes. Unfortunately, in the meantime, going down the route of restricting campers to authorised sites might prove to be the best way of addressing this problem.

All roads lead to Gorgie

There are lots of places where we used to camp responsibly in the highlands that are now blocked off with no wild camping signs because of these morons. I can't blame the locals for erecting signs but people just wanting to camp for a night in order to go climbing at first light are being hindered.

As for stupid parking I cycled up to Threipmuir Reservoir near Balerno just over a week ago and the scenes were crazy, a total log jam because cars were parked in passing places or on verges blocking half the road. Surely when you see a place is crowded common sense says let's to go somewhere else.

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

There are lots of places where we used to camp responsibly in the highlands that are now blocked off with no wild camping signs because of these morons. I can't blame the locals for erecting signs but people just wanting to camp for a night in order to go climbing at first light are being hindered.

As for stupid parking I cycled up to Threipmuir Reservoir near Balerno just over a week ago and the scenes were crazy, a total log jam because cars were parked in passing places or on verges blocking half the road. Surely when you see a place is crowded common sense says let's to go somewhere else.

That's the key words right there........common sense, they don't have any, just look at how rammed some of the beaches down South have been.

Even long before Covid, if we came across beaches rammed like they have been, we about turned and went elsewhere.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Speaking as a real "wild camper" who makes damn sure I leave no trace, apart from some temporarily crushed grass, after I camp, these guys aren't wild campers. They're just guys with tents, tins of beer and BBQs looking for a cheap way of having a break and a booze-up.

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Speaking as a real "wild camper" who makes damn sure I leave no trace, apart from some temporarily crushed grass, after I camp, these guys aren't wild campers. They're just guys with tents, tins of beer and BBQs looking for a cheap way of having a break and a booze-up.

:spoton:

38 minutes ago, redjambo said:

agree, i do both wild camping and the cheap break with beer and bbqs. on both types of trip i make sure i take away my rubbish and like you leave only the crushed grass under my tent

The experience of middle age has taught me that there are more stupid people than clever people in the World. Covid has merely proved it.

I carry a few bin bags in the boot of my car. It is such a simple thing to do for if you have an unscheduled picnic.

I wonder if the detritus of cheap Internet/Decathalon tents left on festival sites is what has caused the uplift in people just thinking it is ok camp or picnic then just leave all the rubbish in the expectation that others will pick it up for you? After all, "not their fault no bins have been provided, izit? 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Once you get far enough into the hills you very rarely come across the littered bomb sites that ruin the shores of too many of our Lochs and you will know as a true wild camper there is nothing better than following a remote river to find a great camping spot. You do however see a few bothies attracting the wrong type of users who are not there for the right reasons, that is sad and makes you wonder why they go to wild areas and show little respect for the land around them.

highlandjambo3
19 hours ago, Sarah O said:

They are mostly from the weeg (Although not exclusively)....been like this fir a long time

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

That is the crux of it, it's not ******* difficult to grasp. This guy is worth a follow on YT, he's started a movement called #leavenotrace for this very reason. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSbn_Gd7f9weV3Ux2kgC5ww

Me and the missus do a fair bit of wild camping (such as is allowed) here. It's a brilliant way to leave big city trappings behind - and let's not forget, prepping, starting and just watching a fire is one of life's simple yet great pleasures!!

Brick Tamland

It is appalling the mess they leave and they should be absolutely battered for it. 
Like some others on here I really enjoy getting into the middle of nowhere to get away from the city, to get some clear thinking space and to camp, and usually to fly fish too, and you would never know I was there. 
What I don’t understand is If they can fill their car with cans/bottles/bbq’s it’s far easier to take  the empty stuff back as it takes up far less space. 
Scotland and the Scottish countryside can be absolutely stunning and I’m proud to have taken people and shown them some of the outstanding places I have been to and for them to see some absolutely stunning views and sunrises and sunsets and wildlife and Mother Nature at her very best (and worst 🌨) and they talk about it for years.
The arseholes that leave such a mess are a disgrace and should be absolutely hammered for the mess they make and for making it increasingly difficult for the people who enjoy the countryside and wild camping to get acceptance from the locals. 

Ron Burgundy
On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 21:33, Sarah O said:

That Union Flag looks like its been photo shopped on.

Harry Potter
On 16/08/2020 at 00:52, Weakened Offender said:

Its lack of grey matter, like how to shut a gate, how difficult is that, hard for quite a few.

Or leave an old kettle on top of the cardboard bin, mad just mad.