St Johnstone v Hearts first division

otterjohn

Sorry for prattling on but heres another memory for the seniors.Can you remember we were in the old first division.We played each team twice one home and one away.

We played against the Saints at Muirton Park. Two years in a row we were winning 2-0 at half time only to get beat 2-3 both times.

the third game we were 1-3 down at half time only to get it to 3- 3 with just about the last kick of the ball I think. A young Jim Brown saved the day.Im sure in one of those games our full back Chris Shevlane scored with a header from a great distance.That was all in the days when hearts had a really large travelling support.

Lots of us travelled in the special excursion buses put on by SMT.

The travelling seemed to take forever then. I remember buses stopping for chips on the way bac from distant Falkirk.

Happy Days

Maybe another old timer could share one of their safer stories of those days

scott herbertson

Ha Otterjohn

Good memories there (I'm 64 so about the same age as you I think)

Muirton was a bit of a special trip for us - we seemed to be there a lot when I was between 15 and 25 and hence travelling a lot, in various states of disrepair.

We would travel to Muirton in my mate's latest 'bargain' car, usually a rusting deathtrap. Sometimes two of us plus him in a Triumph Spitfire - drawing lots to see who would be squashed in the back behind the seats. I do believe there was four in it some times (turns about to sit on the other persons knees). I can tell you the interior was far from 'prestige'.....

Triumph Spitfire Premium Bespoke Interior Trim Packages 1977-1980

Carry out of tennents or mcewans  for everyone  for the journey  . We would always stop at the Bein inn for a few pints then back in the car. 

All a bit of a blur now

In fact it was all a bit of a blur then

Also did many of the SMT trips before my mate got his cars. They were like a combination of St Trinians and World War 2

Yes travelled on the excursions on many occasions. Carry out from the off licence at the top of London Road.Im 67 .Happy days also a happy blur.

Hi Scott thats brilliant.Do you remember the promomtion game v Arbroath at Gayfield.Ive no idea now of why but travelled to it in a

pals 2 seater sports car. I was still hungover from the previous night and lets just say I had stomache problems so it was a hellish journey. in all the pubs near gorgie the night before someone was selling Arbroath smokies.The wee car was stinking

Glamorgan Jambo

My favourite trip to Muirton was a couple of years later at the start of the 83/84 season when we were back in the Premier League after a few years down. Jimmy Bone with a late goal to give us the 1-0 win. Always important to start key seasons well. A cracking place for a game of football as well.

Tommy Brown
9 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

My favourite trip to Muirton was a couple of years later at the start of the 83/84 season when we were back in the Premier League after a few years down. Jimmy Bone with a late goal to give us the 1-0 win. Always important to start key seasons well. A cracking place for a game of football as well.

Remember clinching promotion with a 3-0 win (or maybe last game of the season).

But we all ran on the park, I was swinging on the goal nets. 🤭

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Remember clinching promotion with a 3-0 win (or maybe last game of the season).

But we all ran on the park, I was swinging on the goal nets. 🤭

you no thinking of Dumbarton 1983? 4 nil 

davemclaren

I remember Muirton in the early 80s when someone ( George Cowie? ) scored a wind assisted winning goal from our half. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I remember Muirton in the early 80s when someone ( George Cowie? ) scored a wind assisted winning goal from our half. 

Hogmanay ?? IIRC 

St Johnstone seemed to be our boogie team back then in the 70s

They had a guy called Henry Hall and another called Connoly who were both very good.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Australis said:

They had a guy called Henry Hall and another called Connoly who were both very good.

They also bought Derek Addison from us when we were skint. We did get Derek O’Conor from them though before that. 

8 hours ago, Australis said:

Who only had one apparently lol  think Connoly went to Everton good player

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Australis said:

Ya dancer

David Black

Sat 12 Jan 1963 15:00
Forfar Athletic 1 Hearts 3
Scottish Cup R1
Station Park Forfar .

To go back even further. That game was played after heavy snow across Scotland, the result being that my gang travelled from Edinburgh Waverley to Perth to connect with the Glasgow - Aberdeen train stopping at Forfar. The connection was so late we would have missed the first half, so we, along with countless others jumped into taxis and travelled to Forfar, The journey was beautiful travelling past snow covered fields. In our taxi , which was just a big car, there were 5 of us in the back and a mother and her young son in the front ( didn't even know who she was ), I'm sure it cost around 10 shillings each. It was a good decision as our 3 goals all came in the first half. And if anyone remembers him, ex Rangers CF Don Kitchenbrand had came back from South Africa and had signed for Forfar. God I'm old.

A Shoreditch Heart
30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Could well have been. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That was my only ever trip to Perth - it was December 31st 1983 and we won 2-1 - Cowie scored in the last minute from around 40 yards out

47 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I remember it well too Dave as it was my son’s first away match aged 5 I think.

Edited by bobskeldon

davemclaren
25 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

That was my only ever trip to Perth - it was December 31st 1983 and we won 2-1 - Cowie scored in the last minute from around 40 yards out

👍

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I remember it well too Dave as it was my son’s first away match aged 5 I think.

Nice. 

Chist David Black you are old.Its great though your making me feel not so old. Thanks to everyone for their memories.

Id love to hear more.

ReplayScottish cup At Muirton actually the 3rd game v Montrose can’t remember the year Callahan scored winner in E/t if I remember  

Percival King

I remember playing St.Johnstone at Tynecastle on New Years Day 1983. Both teams were in the First Division, both were having a good season and both got promoted. After the disappointment of missing out on promotion the previous season, things were much more positive for us and it was a good season for watching Hearts, Mckay, Robbo and Bowman were starting to make an impact and we had a cracking manager in Alex MacDonald. My main memory of the game is turning from Russell Road into McLeod Street and seeing the queue from the turnstiles all the way back to past the high school. That was perhaps our biggest crowd of the season, well in excess of 10k and the queue was an absolute free for all, no organisation or order, we eventually got in about half three and I can't even remember if we saw our winning goal. My dad (not a Jambo) had a bad habit in those days of leaving for the football after 2 o'clock, which we could get away with pretty much every home game when we were in the First Division.....apart from that day. 

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Hi Scott thats brilliant.Do you remember the promomtion game v Arbroath at Gayfield.Ive no idea now of why but travelled to it in a

pals 2 seater sports car. I was still hungover from the previous night and lets just say I had stomache problems so it was a hellish journey. in all the pubs near gorgie the night before someone was selling Arbroath smokies.The wee car was stinking

Yes

My older brother, who had gone south to work for the civil service , ran on the pitch with the wee laddies at the end

We travelled up to the games sometimes in a minibus  driven by one of my brother's mates.

I think that bus got lifted on one of the montrose replay days for stopping for a piss on the motorway/ or the A9 or whatever it was and missed the game

Also remember a brilliant laugh on one of the SMT buses on the way back from one of the fife towns ?methil. There was a wee baker and we stopped there on the way there for a pie or a cream bun. A lot of 'chorying' happened and the owner phoned the polis.

They got us off the bus and some of the culprits had eaten the evidence, in fact were in progress with the eating. However the police were able to single out one culprit by a brilliant piece of deduction, as the guy had  his face covered in icing powder and jam.....

25 minutes ago, Percival King said:

I remember playing St.Johnstone at Tynecastle on New Years Day 1983. Both teams were in the First Division, both were having a good season and both got promoted. After the disappointment of missing out on promotion the previous season, things were much more positive for us and it was a good season for watching Hearts, Mckay, Robbo and Bowman were starting to make an impact and we had a cracking manager in Alex MacDonald. My main memory of the game is turning from Russell Road into McLeod Street and seeing the queue from the turnstiles all the way back to past the high school. That was perhaps our biggest crowd of the season, well in excess of 10k and the queue was an absolute free for all, no organisation or order, we eventually got in about half three and I can't even remember if we saw our winning goal. My dad (not a Jambo) had a bad habit in those days of leaving for the football after 2 o'clock, which we could get away with pretty much every home game when we were in the First Division.....apart from that day. 

Was there think we won 2-0 

willie wallace

Feb.1969.i had just turned 15 and rushed home from school.

Quick change and off to St.Andrews Square for the excursion and my first trip to Ibrox..

Scottish cup tie on a Monday night that had been delayed due to the weather or according to my dad delayed due to Colin Stein and Willie Johnston's suspensions coming to an end.

Wandered into the Copeland end before making my way round.

Lost 0-2 so off for a bag of chips before discovering the bus already gone.

Bumped into some older Jambos and got a lift in their supporters bus.

Not a care in the world apart from the score .

Mum was none too pleased though. 😃(Thanks to London Hearts for the Mon.night info.Did not remember that)

Anyone else there that night or have been to a Monday game?

Brilliant story Willie .I remember going to a midweek afternoon kick off v Partick. It was during the miners strike

The electricity had to be cut off during some days and most of the country was on a 3 day week.  Im sure we won

willie wallace
11 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Brilliant story Willie .I remember going to a midweek afternoon kick off v Partick. It was during the miners strike

The electricity had to be cut off during some days and most of the country was on a 3 day week.  Im sure we won

I was there that day.I think we won 4-1.

The 3-3 game at Muirton Park must have been when Ernie Winchester was in his prime (was he ever?)! Massive support there that day. All the buses parked right outside the ground were  rocking after the match  .....

“oh ooh ooooh Ernie .... Ernie ... I’d walk a million miles for one of your goals oohhhh ERNIE”!!

Unknown user

I went on an SFA summer course as a kid, and won a draw to see the Scotland squad train at Muirton. It was great, we met the players after, got autographs, I met Kenny Dalglish and Henry Smith. Muirton was epic.

videotogif_2019.04.08_19.55.29.gif

18 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

I think that was 1974 and Hearts won in front of a crowd of 14,000+ ... on a Tuesday (or Wednesday?) afternoon!

Going to Perth in the ‘70s was a big trip! Before the M90 and stops at either Milnathort or Kinross were a must!

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, cookieboy said:

you no thinking of Dumbarton 1983? 4 nil 

Quite confused. Defo Muirton and we won 3-0. Checked London Hearts and it was 1st week in May of season 81/82.

2 goals by Chris Robertson.

But get this, that was the season we stayed down with final match defeat to Motherwell.

So, why were we all on the park? bizarre

I remember on the day of the Ibrox disaster we went to Dunfermline and the game was postponed after a late pitch inspection. Rather than heading for Easter Road we drove up to Muirton and got in just after kick off. There were more than 20,000 in the ground and Aberdeen won 1-0. Muirton was never an easy ground for us in the 60s and 70s, but I remember us winning 2-0 there in 73 during our short spell at the top of the table on a fine autumnal afternoon. 

David Black
2 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Chist David Black you are old.Its great though your making me feel not so old. Thanks to everyone for their memories.

Id love to hear more.

It's great to be a coffin dodger.

4 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

I was at that game - an absolutely massive Hearts support that day. First of five wins on the bounce at a place Hearts had rarely won on my visits there. 

Doctor FinnBarr
14 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Didn't Donald Park do pretty much the same in that game?

The 1-0 at Muirton in August '83 felt like, and turned out to be, a pivotal moment for us. I was only 15 at the time and had known little other than either relegation or seasons in Division 1. I knew we'd be fine when we won that day. 

Actually missed Jimmy's goal, though. Mates and I had a few cans on the Mercer bus going up to Perth. More than enough to get the young me tiddly and in and out of the bog during the game. 

As an aside, I had a temporary Saturday job in Portobello by the time of the return game v. Saints two months later. Made me about 20 minutes late for ko, by which time Robbo had already scored twice. 

No further scoring that day so 2 games against St. J, both wins, but missed all three goals. I did see both goals in the Hogmanay win though. 😊

11 hours ago, willie wallace said:

I was there that day.I think we won 4-1.

I was at Glasgow University at the time so it was a few pints in the students union and a short walk. Met my mates from the Penicuik bus which was full of lads skipping school. It was indeed 4-1.

12 hours ago, willie wallace said:

Quick change and off to St.Andrews Square for the excursion and my first trip to Ibrox..

Scottish cup tie on a Monday night that had been delayed due to the weather or according to my dad delayed due to Colin Stein and Willie Johnston's suspensions coming to an end.

Mum was none too pleased though. 😃(Thanks to London Hearts for the Mon.night info.Did not remember that)

I was there. It was a Monday because it had been postponed several times and the next round was the next Saturday. Crap game and our bus was broken into. There was little of value to rob but one guy had rushed straight from college and his notes etc were gone. They must have liked his bag.

willie wallace
24 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

I was at Glasgow University at the time so it was a few pints in the students union and a short walk. Met my mates from the Penicuik bus which was full of lads skipping school. It was indeed 4-1.

There was a decent crowd there as well considering the ko time.

SectionDJambo
13 hours ago, willie wallace said:

Wasn't at the game, but your dad was probably right about the postponements whilst those 2 suspensions ran out.

We should explain to younger viewers, that in those days, suspensions were decided by a disciplinary panel which the offending players had to go to Park Gardens to stand in front of. They gave out suspensions, based on past record, for a period of time rather than a number of games.

This was open to suspicion of favouritism, by length of suspension to certain clubs' players, so nothing new there. It also meant that players could miss some, or even all, of their suspension in the winter months. I can't remember when it was changed to the current, more sensible and transparent, system. 

For that Rangers cup tie, the game was postponed on more than one occasion, but the Ibrox pitch was miraculously restored to playable condition once the suspensions to the 2 players expired.

17 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Ha Otterjohn

Good memories there (I'm 64 so about the same age as you I think)

Muirton was a bit of a special trip for us - we seemed to be there a lot when I was between 15 and 25 and hence travelling a lot, in various states of disrepair.

We would travel to Muirton in my mate's latest 'bargain' car, usually a rusting deathtrap. Sometimes two of us plus him in a Triumph Spitfire - drawing lots to see who would be squashed in the back behind the seats. I do believe there was four in it some times (turns about to sit on the other persons knees). I can tell you the interior was far from 'prestige'.....

Triumph Spitfire Premium Bespoke Interior Trim Packages 1977-1980

Carry out of tennents or mcewans  for everyone  for the journey  . We would always stop at the Bein inn for a few pints then back in the car. 

All a bit of a blur now

In fact it was all a bit of a blur then

Also did many of the SMT trips before my mate got his cars. They were like a combination of St Trinians and World War 2

Yep, I remember  these games. 2 nil up at half time then lose three goals in the second half. Pretty sure that Chris Shevlane scored one one if the games with a crashing  header from just inside the box. We had a pretty good record at  

Muirton  up till then and I can remember being at games there where we won 4 - 1 and 3 - 0.

Another walk down memory lane from around 1961. Three 15 year old school boys travelled through to Hamilton for a League cup tie (midweek) and for what ever reason we three daft laddies missed the last bus back to Edinburgh, We started to hitch hike ( it was a hell of a lot safer in those days) and soon after an army lorry passed, saw us wearing our Hearts scarfs and said jump in as they were going to Redford Barracks. They really went out of their way and dropped us of at the foot of Lothian Road. 

scott herbertson
20 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Talking about Muirton what other team did we play there??

the last game against montrose I think (of the replays in 1976)

Edited by scott herbertson

willie wallace

Yes Scott that is correct.I think it was 2-2 in the first two games and we won the 3rd after extra time.

It was a real slog to get to the final that year.

willie wallace
19 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

the last game against montrose I think (of the replays in 1976)

Yes Scott.That is correct.I think it was ,2-2 in both games and we won the 3rd game 2-1 after extra time.

It was a real slog to get to the final that year.