Our crappy Sky Deal - DIY Broadcasting

OTT

12 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Remember that sky sports has more sport than just football so ppl buying it tend to want the whole package.  Cricket, golf and boxing fans for example.   

Once you take that into account its not awful value for 3 tenners a month.   And if more than one person in your household watches it then even better. 

P. S. They do all the international qualifiers too. 

No Hearts so no subscription from me.

Look back 5 then 10 then 15 and even maybe even 20 years and you will see the same thread

Every so often somebody comes on and infers they could do better that the footballing authorities could do better, we have been ripped of blah blah blah

Total nonsense of course but without any explanation we are all supposed to nod our heads as if it's true

Unless there is competition for the product there will not be any over the top offers and there is not enough competition for Scottish Football.....even in England the values are stagnating and in other countries reducing.

Scotland cannot be compared to England in terms of a TV deal but it does not stop a few trying to link the deals

Now in time there may be a new way to deliver the product such as live streaming or new competition such as Amazon from which you could produce your own product or run a platform but we are not there yet.

Plenty of promises have been made such as SPLTV or Satanta deals which failed because the money was not there to justify the expenditure required to set up or running costs for a company to deliver the product at a profit

You may wish or dream that the money is out there but it's not or the gamble of running your own station would cost so much it could ruin the clubs..oh and do you think Rangers/Celtic would be part of the deal or would they even lead the deal with a level of control their price

18 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Look back 5 then 10 then 15 and even maybe even 20 years and you will see the same thread

Every so often somebody comes on and infers they could do better that the footballing authorities could do better, we have been ripped of blah blah blah

Total nonsense of course but without any explanation we are all supposed to nod our heads as if it's true

Unless there is competition for the product there will not be any over the top offers and there is not enough competition for Scottish Football.....even in England the values are stagnating and in other countries reducing.

Scotland cannot be compared to England in terms of a TV deal but it does not stop a few trying to link the deals

Now in time there may be a new way to deliver the product such as live streaming or new competition such as Amazon from which you could produce your own product or run a platform but we are not there yet.

Plenty of promises have been made such as SPLTV or Satanta deals which failed because the money was not there to justify the expenditure required to set up or running costs for a company to deliver the product at a profit

You may wish or dream that the money is out there but it's not or the gamble of running your own station would cost so much it could ruin the clubs..oh and do you think Rangers/Celtic would be part of the deal or would they even lead the deal with a level of control their price

Well said. 

We have the best deal we ve ever had in terms of the amount of live games on TV.  Had loads last few years too when bt had some of the pie. 

It used to be only one game a week - old firm away and derbys.

Edited by Smoked-Glass

52 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

This is where I am. I watch and enjoy Cricket, golf, boxing and darts and these sports are well covered. 

I watch the bigger English games too.

Well worth the subscription in my opinion although I 'negotiate' a discount every 18 months. 

Scottish football ? Don't watch the Premier matches after the summer shafting.

Also loads of international qualifiers when that weekend comes up. 

F1 too 

Gorgie Boot boy

The product and choices out there is excellent right now, bare bones shows online get huge viewing numbers.

The real chat is all about the finances, we the fans would like to watch previews and feel connected to the presenters and commentators.

So many issues surround the money matters, people in the UK are obsessed with the EPL.

This is where all the action is, then the EC a tough league, with huge financial out puts.

We then get to Scotland, one of the top countries in Europe for attendance per population.

The mindset of the nation who would be aimed at , is what needs to be captured.

Until there is a British pyramid league system, not happening soon

Another full SPFL top league card today and not a single match broadcast.

I’d also like to say that a independent channel run by Scottish football is a no goer. Use the current company to do the live coverage and it’s too expensive, try and do it yourself it’s crap and people complain. 

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Another full SPFL top league card today and not a single match broadcast.

I’d also like to say that a independent channel run by Scottish football is a no goer. Use the current company to do the live coverage and it’s too expensive, try and do it yourself it’s crap and people complain. 

Agree. The competition is massive, online shows are the way to go with little money spent. Someone with a small media company could get a slot.

There is room for us to develop Hearts TV, the lockdown has been good for that side of our set up.

I rarely watch Non Hearts games.

• 1 year later...

Wanted to share this and give this another bump. 

Sky aren't interested in promoting Scottish football. The £25m we get from them are breadcrumbs and we're getting left behind by every other nation in Europe. The Scandinavian clubs are laughing at us, Serbian and Croatian teams are coining it in, whilst we're the poor man of Europe. 

Neil Doncaster is not fit for purpose and his continued employment brings the game into disrepute. 

He's a characterless charlatan with no vision for Scottish football and no spine to stand up for the clubs when negotiating with Sky. He had to have the Cinch deal (which is shite) dropped in his lap by a consultancy agency. We've went without a league sponsor on multiple occasions. He's inept, lazy and has offered us absolutely nothing in the 10 years he's been at the helm. The deals we get now are every bit as poor as when he took over. He's not got the skills to succeed and I don't understand why the clubs continue to put up with his dangerous incompetence. He's paid over £400k a year. For what?

We're being robbed blind on his watch.

We have the highest per capita attendance in Europe. Scots would happily pay £10-20 a month to support Scottish football via a service which focused exclusively on Scottish football. 

We cannot seriously do any worse? Its an idea with limitless potential. 

8 minutes ago, OTT said:

Sky aren't interested in promoting Scottish football. The £25m we get from them are breadcrumbs and we're getting left behind by every other nation in Europe. The Scandinavian clubs are laughing at us, Serbian and Croatian teams are coining it in, whilst we're the poor man of Europe. 

Neil Doncaster is not fit for purpose and his continued employment brings the game into disrepute. 

He's a characterless charlatan with no vision for Scottish football and no spine to stand up for the clubs when negotiating with Sky. He had to have the Cinch deal (which is shite) dropped in his lap by a consultancy agency. We've went without a league sponsor on multiple occasions. He's inept, lazy and has offered us absolutely nothing in the 10 years he's been at the helm. The deals we get now are every bit as poor as when he took over. He's not got the skills to succeed and I don't understand why the clubs continue to put up with his dangerous incompetence. He's paid over £400k a year. For what?

We have the highest per capita attendance in Europe. Scots would happily pay £10-20 a month to support Scottish football via a service which focused exclusively on Scottish football. 

You probably don’t really say just how bad Doncaster is …. he treated Hearts like sh1t and we should never forget that.

Sadly despite all the shenanigans he’s still in role …. and unfortunately as he’s a lawyer it would take a very clever person to oust him in a clean way that would prevent a successful claim for unfair dismissal. 
I’m not even sure who he reports to, probably a committee comprised mainly of chairmen of lower league clubs! And that is the problem with Scottish Football.

It was a big mistake to merge the premier league and the football league but we know who the beneficiary of that was!!

Jambo in Bathgate
On 07/08/2020 at 19:00, OTT said:

I saw a tweet earlier pointing out how shit our 'record' tv deal is. So, I'm posting the below because I strongly believe its a better idea than what we've got. I'll apologise in advance as this turned into bit of a ****ing essay (puts tin hat firmly on)...

I even made a table... **** me :facepalm: 

I’ve been long annoyed at how poorly Sky values Scottish football. It got me thinking about alternative ways we could create a competitive TV deal which escapes the virtual monopoly Sky has with sports broadcasting in the UK. To attempt to put into context the numbers we’re talking about, the most up to date figures I could find for Sky subscribers in Scotland is 1 million (2012), of that approximately half are Sky Sports subscribers. Taking the full 1 million and the advertised Sky TV deal of £25 a month this means they are making in the region of £25 million each month, or £300m a year. Factoring in the circa 500,000 who also pay for a Sky Sports pass this is an additional £23 a month, so £11.5 million a month or £138 million a year. Over and above this, pubs pay in excess of £1,000 a month and face punitive fines and court action if they don’t have the commercial license. Together that is £438 million a year whilst they offer Scottish football a pitiful £26 million a season/year and that is a ‘record’. Demeaning and insulting doesn’t even begin to describe my feelings towards it. Ignoring the ‘fag packet’ maths above, its an indisputable fact that Sky are taking hundreds of millions out of Scotland whilst offering our sport what amounts to a derisory pat on the head. 

This made me to look at the success of the FOH and wonder if this could be applied to a national sport broadcaster. Obviously with FOH we're paying for ownership, whilst here it would be in exchange for a product/service and the knowledge you are supporting Scottish football. I previously posted about this but there are 2,372,777 households in Scotland. Sky have set the minimum necessary amount to not be worse off at £26m. Following a subscriber model where we had 100% uptake this would mean that we’d be generating £23,727,770.00 a month if we charged £10 for a subscription or £284,733,240.00 a year. Quite clearly 100% uptake is delusional. Below is a general idea based on uptake:

%

Households

Per month @£10

Per Year

100%

£23,727,770.00

£284,733,240.00

90%

£21,354,993.00

£256,259,916.00

80%

£18,982,216.00

£227,786,592.00

70%

£16,609,439.00

£199,313,268.00

60%

£14,236,662.00

£170,839,944.00

50%

£11,863,885.00

£142,366,620.00

40%

£9,491,108.00

£113,893,296.00

30%

£7,118,331.00

£85,419,972.00

20%

£4,745,554.00

£56,946,648.00

10%

£2,372,777.00

£28,473,324.00

Doncaster likes to trot out his wee stat about Scottish football being the most attended league in Europe per capita (whilst simultaneously and viciously underselling that same game), so it stands to reason that we could expect reasonable uptake. This isn’t factoring global sales, advertising or selling any games on a game by game basis to broadcasters in other countries. I understand that what I am suggesting is hugely ambitious but it offers a real chance to give Scottish football the TV deal it deserves. If we could manage just 20% uptake we’ve more than doubled the pathetic sum offered by Sky. We don't have an alternative to Sky. BT offered even less! Doing it ourselves, is literally the only path I can see.

But SPL TV crashed and burned!?!?

Absolutely true. The internet has opened up a global audience now though and more and more older people are joining in. In 20 years time we won’t have elderly who aren’t online. Thats why this idea is 100% focused on the internet. **** the television, its dying. Potentially, games could be sold to the BBC or ITV on a game by game basis to avoid any of the elderly/ not online missing out. There are far less hurdles to create a website than to create a TV channel too which would help drive costs down I believe. Much like with Sky, a commercial license could be offered to pubs creating another revenue stream. We know the Old firm are Skys magic dust for English viewers, its a game that sells itself so there is massive opportunity to pick up ‘1 day pass’ sales through the rest of the UK and even Ireland (hell globally, there are tens of millions of Scots in America, Australia, New Zealand and Canada). We're seeing subscriber formats take off around the world, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV, there are even food prep meals that will deliver to you based on a subscriber model. Its tried and tested and I believe would work. 

In terms of content clubs could agree to put out a portion of their clubs TV channel to help support content initially so it's not just games. Alternatively a SSN type set up could be adopted focusing entirely on Scottish football on a league by league basis.

What I am suggesting is a huge undertaking and will require far brighter heads at the top of the sport than Neil Doncaster or Ian Maxwell, but we can’t afford not to take a chance. We’re going absolutely nowhere under Sky. Hearts, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hibs will never see the Europa League group stages with the current cash starved deal on the table. Celtic and Rangers will never realise their dreams of actually being treated like a big club in the same way Bayern or any of the European heavy weights are spoken about. Our Peterheads or Stranraers will continue to teeter close to the edge of oblivion and our best and brightest young talents will continue to be snapped up by English clubs for pennies on the pound. To avoid disaster these past few months we've been entirely reliant on the good graces of guys like James Anderson stepping in to save our weakest clubs.

If we were to carry this out successfully, we could finally move away from a 4 old firm game league format dictated to us by a broadcaster utterly unwilling to properly invest in our league. We could properly afford to develop Scottish footballs brand and move it away from the international laughing stock Doncaster and his ilk have led it to. 

The above isn’t a fully formed idea, it's a general thought about an alternative approach not dependent on what little crumbs sky decides to throw our way. Creating an organisation which could generate in excess of a quarter of a billion is clearly going to require top people to make it work successfully, but it's absolutely something which is sitting there ready to be tried. I mean what's the worst that could happen? We keep failing and losing?

I don’t subscribe to Sky sports because it’s basically Rangers/Celtic away TV.  On Sunday I paid for a day pass to watch the game from Easter Road. I’m sure other non them supporters do the same. Therefore I doubt it’s a goer. Until there is equality in Scotland regarding teams nothing will change. 

17 minutes ago, OTT said:

Funny how there is such an outcry now when everyone else outwith the arse cheeks have known that the TV deal we get is crap, oh wait one of them had an away game that was not on TV and suddenly we need things to change.

Hopefully it will but just shows it takes one of those parasites to be impacted before it is discussed.

2 minutes ago, Biko said:

Funny how there is such an outcry now when everyone else outwith the arse cheeks have known that the TV deal we get is crap, oh wait one of them had an away game that was not on TV and suddenly we need things to change.

Hopefully it will but just shows it takes one of those parasites to be impacted before it is discussed.

Honestly man, if its being discussed thats a win. I just hope that the clubs press the point. 

Doncaster isn't good enough for Scottish football. He's got absolutely nothing to offer us. He's a bland administrator without a strategic thought in his head. 

He needs to go and someone with a bit of fire hired to actually get on with pushing Scottish football forward. 

It’s been said before on hear opt out the winter league and play through the  summer. We would have a bidding war for the rights as we would be the only football on. This would also help teams maybe compete better in Europe.

Rogue Daddy
21 minutes ago, OTT said:

Sorry for repeating myself here, but nothing will change unless there’s a revolt. Clubs would need to walk away and start again WITHOUT the SFA/spfl and OF. They simply couldn’t be involved in any capacity. As a guess, I would say us, h1b5, sheep, scumdee Utd and Motherwell would have to walk to see any meaningful change. The OF need us (Scottish football) more than we need them. 
With regards to a TV deal, this is where I’d like JA and his ‘buddies’ at Amazon to step in and trump SKYs pish coverage. I’m pretty sure they could come up with something far more lucrative. 

Rogue Daddy
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Honestly man, if its being discussed thats a win. I just hope that the clubs press the point. 

Doncaster isn't good enough for Scottish football. He's got absolutely nothing to offer us. He's a bland administrator without a strategic thought in his head. 

He needs to go and someone with a bit of fire hired to actually get on with pushing Scottish football forward. 

How this guy is still employed by Scottish football, God only knows! He’s a yes man for shellick… it’s (surely)the ONLY reason he’s still here.