Where hope and history rhyme

Ulysses

quote-difference-is-of-the-essence-of-hu

When others reviled him, and said what he sought was impossible fantasy, John Hume persevered and persisted.  He talked and talked, and he listened and listened.  To republicans, to loyalists, to politicians, to diplomats and civil servants, to paramilitaries.  He pursued a simple and singular vision, and he never wavered, until one day his view of peace prevailed.  He could have achieved nothing without others, and he knew that, so it was others who made his life's work become reality.  But it was still his vision and his persistence that made all the difference. 

Seamus Heaney wrote:

History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

John Hume made hope and history rhyme, and saved many lives on this island.  In the Irish language, when someone dies we say that they are "imithe ar shlí na fírinne" - "gone on the way of truth".  John Hume was probably always on the way of truth.

Suaimhneas síoraí dó.  May he rest in peace.

I read a very touching tribute today saying that in recent times as his dementia worsened he would take to wandering the streets of Derry and getting lost. No matter who found him, from whatever background, would make sure he was safe and look after him. No bigger sign of the respect for the man. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I read a very touching tribute today saying that in recent times as his dementia worsened he would take to wandering the streets of Derry and getting lost. No matter who found him, from whatever background, would make sure he was safe and look after him. No bigger sign of the respect for the man. 

I read that too.  He would go walking in the city, particularly near the Foyle, and people would keep an eye on him from a distance.  But if he showed signs of straying off course, someone he would recognise would "bump into him", engage him in conversation and gradually re-direct him back towards home.

There's also another story about him which reminds me of one I heard on JKB - it actually put me in mind of Tazio, though maybe I'm wrong and it was someone else who told the story.  Hume liked the occasional pint, and as his dementia took hold he rambled into certain pubs for a pint, maybe two.  When he decided it was time to go, someone would always call a taxi, and he was taken home.  He was never charged for the taxi, and maybe not even for the pints.  As someone said "sure who would charge him?"

6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

There's also another story about him which reminds me of one I heard on JKB - it actually put me in mind of Tazio, though maybe I'm wrong and it was someone else who told the story.  Hume liked the occasional pint, and as his dementia took hold he rambled into certain pubs for a pint, maybe two.  When he decided it was time to go, someone would always call a taxi, and he was taken home.  He was never charged for the taxi, and maybe not even for the pints.  As someone said "sure who would charge him?"

That would be me, when I worked in a pub years ago an old gent came in every lunchtime for a pint and a nip to read his paper. I was told on my first shift to take his money and give him his change, but if he gave me some random coins less than the total to give him change anyway. When I asked why I was told he was a former English lecturer at the university and had being doing the same thing for years but now had dementia and not to embarrass him for a few pence that could be made up in the till at close. 

5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

This was rather lovely. 

As it happens, I follow the guy who delivered that blow on Twitter.  I get his point, and I despise Michael Gove's politics, but there is a possibility that he's since realised that Hume was right and changed his mind?  Hume had that effect on people.

Doctor FinnBarr

Always thought John was a good man and as far as my friends in NI (from both sides) tell me he was well respected.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That would be me, when I worked in a pub years ago an old gent came in every lunchtime for a pint and a nip to read his paper. I was told on my first shift to take his money and give him his change, but if he gave me some random coins less than the total to give him change anyway. When I asked why I was told he was a former English lecturer at the university and had being doing the same thing for years but now had dementia and not to embarrass him for a few pence that could be made up in the till at close. 

That's it.  I found the thread, believe it or not.

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

That's it.  I found the thread, believe it or not.

LOL, how the hell did you find that from what, 7 years ago.

6 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

LOL, how the hell did you find that from what, 7 years ago.

I searched for the words dementia and university in posts by Tazio...

...and once I got the couple of hundred matching posts I just scanned them until I found the one I wanted.  :laugh:

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I searched for the words dementia and university in posts by Tazio...

...and once I got the couple of hundred matching posts I just scanned them until I found the one I wanted.  :laugh:

Ah, easy then.