Funeral costs

jake

Frightening the costs.

What if any are good funeral packages ?

I'm going to get one and was wondering what recommendations kb had.

Bit morbid I know but the last year (not covid) has made me focus on this.

Family packages and or individual ones ?

3fingersreid

Having laid my mum to rest last year and pre lockdown attended a few other funerals , I’m firmly of the opinion I want the cheapest funeral possible as my family could put to better use the money rather than “ burning” it. 
I know everyone is different ,but cheap and happy for me please .

Whatever policy you do choose Jake I hope it’s very very many years before you have to use it.

I have arranged for my body to be donated to the Anatomy Department of the local university.

Funeral expenses = 0

Burial expenses = 0

Amusement value to students, especially the females = priceless.

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I have arranged for my body to be donated to the Anatomy Department of the local university.

Funeral expenses = 0

Burial expenses = 0

that is my plan, medical students need bodies for training, so if i can help with that when i'm gone it is a bonus. That is after they take whatever organs that they can use.

i've told my parents that i am doing the same with them and they are fine with it

John Findlay
11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Funeral expenses = 0

Burial expenses = 0

Aye they will be shocked that Scotsman dont have alot under their kilts🤣

Edited by John Findlay

24 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Having laid my mum to rest last year and pre lockdown attended a few other funerals , I’m firmly of the opinion I want the cheapest funeral possible as my family could put to better use the money rather than “ burning” it. 

Whatever policy you do choose Jake I hope it’s very very many years before you have to use it.

I've got plenty time I think.

Close call last year with one of my kids which has focused my mind a bit on the whole thing.

18 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Funeral expenses = 0

Burial expenses = 0

13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

that is my plan, medical students need bodies for training, so if i can help with that when i'm gone it is a bonus. That is after they take whatever organs that they can use.

i've told my parents that i am doing the same with them and they are fine with it

When this subject was raised before I always kind of thought who cares yer deid .

But it's those that's left who may feel a pressure or guilt if you know what I mean.

9 minutes ago, jake said:

When this subject was raised before I always kind of thought who cares yer deid .

But it's those that's left who may feel a pressure or guilt if you know what I mean.

That's certainly a factor and has to be considered.  I've discussed this with all my family and they're fine with it.

It's possible that some people might have a problem with their body going to an anatomy class due to their religious beliefs.  There could be some difficulty in resurrecting a body if bits and pieces of it are scattered around in glass jars.

25 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Aye they will be shocked that Scotsman dont have alot under their kilts🤣

Fortunately, I'll be in no position to be embarrassed! :embarassed:

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's certainly a factor and has to be considered.  I've discussed this with all my family and they're fine with it.

It's possible that some people might have a problem with their body going to an anatomy class due to their religious beliefs.  There could be some difficulty in resurrecting a body if bits and pieces of it are scattered around in glass jars.

Good test for God. 

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Fortunately, I'll be in no position to be embarrassed! :embarassed:

Your saving grace🙂

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Your saving grace🙂

It sounds daft but, fortunately, I'll be died!

Neil Dongcaster

My folks have decided against a funeral. Have decided to have a wee doo in the house for family and friends. 

My 'father in law' passed away just before lockdown. He'd arranged for his body to be left to St Andrews Uni. What he/we hadn't realised was that as he died in the home he still had to be collected and looked after by a funeral director until the Uni were ready to collect him. The Uni wouldn't do anything till the doc had issued the death certificate and there seemed to be tooing and froing between the police and doctors.

Just something to be aware of (maybe other folk are better at reading the paperwork than them.)

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

When I go, I want the cheapest cremation possible and my ashes tipped in the bucket and everything I own can got to the cat and dog home.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, jake said:

Frightening the costs.

What if any are good funeral packages ?

I'm going to get one and was wondering what recommendations kb had.

Bit morbid I know but the last year (not covid) has made me focus on this.

Family packages and or individual ones ?

Got myself life assurance, 18000 when im out, aye the costs are expensive.

My mum died in March. My Dad had pre-paid funerals with the Co-op. Excellent in every way considering the circumstances.

6 minutes ago, inspector said:

My mum died in March. My Dad had pre-paid funerals with the Co-op. Excellent in every way considering the circumstances.

Sorry I know it must be raw still but was the pre paid in lump sum or a payment plan ?

I know i can look these things up but i wanted some kind of pointers.

Again sorry if this is a bit off.

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, inspector said:

Brilliant idea.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Funeral expenses = 0

Burial expenses = 0

So has my wife.

She'll never find out...

:)

She was a scientist in the early part of career and does want to donate her body.......

Edited by DETTY29

23 minutes ago, inspector said:

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s what I’ve got arranged through them.

My parents pre-paid their own funerals through the Co-op.  When the time came, all it took was one phone call and one visit, and the Co-op looked after everything.  It was very well handled and no stress for me at a difficult time.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Maple Leaf said:

My parents pre-paid their own funerals through the Co-op.  When the time came, all it took was one phone call and one visit, and the Co-op looked after everything.  It was very well handled and no stress for me at a difficult time.

👍

14 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You will be hoping they check you out when rigor mortis of the tadger is on display....but they better be quick.

And have keen eyesight!

1 hour ago, jake said:

Sorry I know it must be raw still but was the pre paid in lump sum or a payment plan ?

I know i can look these things up but i wanted some kind of pointers.

Again sorry if this is a bit off.

One off payment of around £2000 I think

45 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Agree. They were very good. My Dad also got a refund as we weren't able to use the funeral cars. They made it as stress-free as is possible at that time

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

When I go, I want the cheapest cremation possible and my ashes tipped in the bucket and everything I own can got to the cat and dog home.

Which of your possession do you think the cats and dogs will particularly like?

Anyway, this is worth a read. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/prepaid-funeral-plans/

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Marvin said:

My sofa 😁 bloody cat loves to have a scratch even though she has 2 scratch posts 😂

😄

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Was never a problem for the Ancient Egyptians, canopic jars and all.

yvonnejambo

Having just lost my mum on Thursday I am so grateful to find out that she had a funeral plan. It not only takes some of the financial costs away but it also makes sure she gets what she wanted. All I have to pay for is opening the plot (which Highland Council charge £995). 

I am definitely going to get a funeral plan so when I do go the burden is not on my son. 

13 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

I am definitely going to get a funeral plan so when I do go the burden is not on my son. 

I should think so Yvonne, the fact that you've burdened him with being a Jambo should be enough for the boy!

Appropriate thread for me today. I have just spoken to the funeral home to arrange a very basic cremation for my wife. Our son has been told the same for me, and when we are both gone our ashes into the same container, returned to Edinburgh where we want to be spread on the slope coming down from the Radical Road, looking over the town where we met, got married had our children, lots of good memories. The trip to Edinburgh will be the most expensive part but he will have some money I hope.

Dagger Is Back
11 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m with you. In the last 4 years we’ve lost both in laws and my Dad

I’ve made all the arrangements and the costs can be staggering

Im leaving express wishes that I go out in a cardboard coffin, no flowers and a nice wee humanist send off

Thousands for a coffin that will end up as ashes?

🤦‍♂️

Jambo-Jimbo
12 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I’m with you. In the last 4 years we’ve lost both in laws and my Dad

I’ve made all the arrangements and the costs can be staggering

Im leaving express wishes that I go out in a cardboard coffin, no flowers and a nice wee humanist send off

Thousands for a coffin that will end up as ashes?

🤦‍♂️

Same here.

I have just had to put my 88 year old mum into a care home. Frighting to think she actually owned and drove her own car at Christmas last year.

She fell and did her hip in (twice) and now cant really look after herself. Anyway, she has asked me to look into paying for a funeral out of her savings so we dont have to worry making arrangements when the time comes. She wants cremated at Seafield. 

Went down to Scotmid funeral services:

Cheap Casket (its getting burnt)

Funeral services.

No embalming

A simple service with a non-religious celebrant

Herse

1 car

£3500.

For me, bin-liner, gallon of petrol and a match in a pit in the back garden!!!