Buying a house in Edinburgh now

Carl Weathers

10 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Think you may have misread my post. I said “That is the median” - as in, the £29K figure I posted is the median average salary. 

The other average you have referred to is the mean average (add all the values up and divide them by the number of individual values). 

Ah, yes sorry I'd missread it as what's the median.

I need to find my glasses or get longer arms! 😀

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carl Weathers

• Governor Tarkin

• hmfcbilly

• Ribble

MaskedMarauder

We are in the process of making an offer on a house just now. First time. Can anyone tell me roughly how long it takes from an offer being accepted to getting a moving in date? When do you pay your deposit on it? We are spending £6k over the asking price too which we have set aside, so does that just get paid at the same time as the deposit does?

25 minutes ago, MaskedMarauder said:

We are in the process of making an offer on a house just now. First time. Can anyone tell me roughly how long it takes from an offer being accepted to getting a moving in date? When do you pay your deposit on it? We are spending £6k over the asking price too which we have set aside, so does that just get paid at the same time as the deposit does?

Generally 6 to 8 weeks but really depends on you and your sellers situation.

Deposit would be paid a week or 2 before completion, but again this can vary depending on circumstances. You won't pay the deposit until missives are signed and this could be anything up to the day before you actually move house. Your solicitor might ask for it beforehand and hold it in their account so they know it is there and ready to go.

Yes, you would send your full contribution to the purchase to your solicitor in one go.

Me and partner are looking to buy our first property soon.

My part of the deposit is kept in a LISA. Her part of the deposit is kept in a Help to Buy ISA.

With the LISA I see the government bonus get added each month. Whereas her Help to Buy ISA doesn't receive the bonus until the solicitor has actually claimed it as part of the property purchase (or atleast that's how I understand it).

One question I have - does us having two differing products (LISA + Help to Buy ISA) slow down the process at all? If a solicitor asks how much of a deposit we have, do we tell them the figure plus any 'future' bonus she will get as part of the Help to Buy ISA scheme?