*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Sir PH
2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Didn’t look a foul but when ball comes back in he shoulders the Killie player out the way and looked offside when he did. Definitely influenced the phase of play.

All about opinions. It looked a clear foul, from a distance. 

• Replies 64.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SwindonJambo
Posted (edited)

FT. 3rd confirmed. The only stat any Jambo need give a toss about. Let the bigots slug it out for the competition they've destroyed. Don't give the slightest toss which one wins it.

Edited by SwindonJambo

AndrewB

So if Sevco win the OF game, the last game of the season could be a turkey shoot, which I could do without.  There would also be pressure on us NOT to put out a young team, which is a slight shame as we can’t give some guys as many minutes as we’d maybe like.

Malinga the Swinga

As distasteful as it is, the result helps Hearts so I'll take it.

Depending on Sevco v Celtic next week, I am not looking forward to refereeing on last game. If it matters, they'll be getting even more than usual, which means absolutely everything 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, AndrewB said:

So if Sevco win the OF game, the last game of the season could be a turkey shoot, which I could do without.  There would also be pressure on us NOT to put out a young team, which is a slight shame as we can’t give some guys as many minutes as we’d maybe like.

We can put out whatever team we want. We have earned right to do so by finishing third with 3 games remaining.

We owe nothing to either Sevco or Celtic.

Mikey1874
2 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

3 wins puts us on 72 points. Nice incentive itself.

bairdy
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We can put out whatever team we want. We have earned right to do so by finishing third with 3 games remaining.

True.  But the last thing we want is them needing a load of goals if it comes down to goal difference.   We can't put youngsters on if that's the case.

weegie jambo
4 minutes ago, bairdy said:

True.  But the last thing we want is them needing a load of goals if it comes down to goal difference.   We can't put youngsters on if that's the case.

Distasteful as it is, it would be funny and a tiny payback for '86.

Cameronstheman
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

Never thought of that scenario :interehjrling:

Edited by Cameronstheman

AndrewB
19 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

Ok and in the next 2 games we’ve got Dundee and St Mirren which summons the ghost of that day in 86 also.

chester copperpot

Bring Andy Halliday for the game and he can celebrate with the Rangers team ala McGarvey.

**** them

Fraggle
31 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Is the correct answer. If we want to field kids for the rest of the season we can. 

Gorgierools
6 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Ok and in the next 2 games we’ve got Dundee and St Mirren which summons the ghost of that day in 86 also.

9 from 9 or Naisy oot

Hmfc1965
1 hour ago, MattyK82 said:

Why? A draw or a rangers win mathematically confirms 3rd. 

That's why I'd be content with a draw.

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, WDJ87 said:

Group stage confirmed in 25 mins 👌🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻✈️🛩️🌍

:verysmug:

20220531_154631.gif.15a13c69b1275ccc3eb188e682063d75.gif

MattyK82
29 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

That's why I'd be content with a draw.

I was more curious as to why it wouldn't be ideal...

Regardless,  it's a moot point now 🇱🇻🇪🇺🍺

FionaHmfc

For anyone else interested - some Tuesday night half price football down at Ainslie Park 

E3F1F495-1224-459D-83F0-C153B661586F.jpeg

JFK-1

Reminds me didn’t the board say all spare money could go on the squad? Well now they know there’s a minimum 5 million incoming.

Canscot
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Reminds me didn’t the board say all spare money could go on the squad? Well now they know there’s a minimum 5 million incoming.

Yeah. But I thought that is not paid out till next season? Best not spending money you don’t have. But can plan for season after next though. 

Ricardo Quaresma
10 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I get that but he was clearly off balance. Harsh

That's how I saw it, very similar to Rowles at ER

Ricardo Quaresma
10 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

I know but it's a stupid rule .he's not responsible for the bounce of the ball .

It's like the Rowles penalty at ER, his arm is being used to counterbalance, but unfortunately it's still a penalty

But red, na, that's the ref's call and even beaton just gave a yellow for it, there's no real reason to give a red, maybe unlike the penalty we never got in Paisley first time round

Ricardo Quaresma
10 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

It's a handball. How can you attempt to play the ball with a handball. Laws clearly state that a handball is still a red card

Not every handball is a red, so can you clarify, perhaps with a paragraph from the LOTG?

Way they seem to do it is usually very sensible, to envisage the offender as a bust statue and when the real world arm is hit, what happens to the trajectory of the ball

In this case, it was going in, so penalty, yes, yellow, yes, but it wasn't like suarez at the WC, was it?

Totally, obviously, not deliberate and cynical

The Rugby shout is interesting regarding giving the goal, but not sure if it will ever be used in Football

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, Canscot said:

Yeah. But I thought that is not paid out till next season? Best not spending money you don’t have. But can plan for season after next though. 

You don't think we should dip into that on the basis that next Season could be the last European GS Automatic spot for a while?

We also need to compete in 4 tournaments and get 3rd again

Canscot

I tend to be conservative when it comes to finances. But I get your point. 

Ferryjambo99
39 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Not every handball is a red, so can you clarify, perhaps with a paragraph from the LOTG?

Way they seem to do it is usually very sensible, to envisage the offender as a bust statue and when the real world arm is hit, what happens to the trajectory of the ball

In this case, it was going in, so penalty, yes, yellow, yes, but it wasn't like suarez at the WC, was it?

Totally, obviously, not deliberate and cynical

The Rugby shout is interesting regarding giving the goal, but not sure if it will ever be used in Football

If a handball stops a goal, or a clear chance to score a goal, its a red card. Regardless of intent. 

Screenshot_20240506_005226_Laws of the Game.jpg

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

If a handball stops a goal, or a clear chance to score a goal, its a red card. Regardless of intent. 

Screenshot_20240506_005226_Laws of the Game.jpg

I don't agree that incident was a DOGSO, it was pinball in the 6-yard box

Ferryjambo99
3 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I don't agree that incident was a DOGSO, it was pinball in the 6-yard box

The ball is clearly heading in the direction of the goal, the goal is unguarded by the goalkeeper. We'll have to agree to disagree but it's about as textbook a DOGSO handball as you'll see

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, Ferryjambo99 said:

The ball is clearly heading in the direction of the goal, the goal is unguarded by the goalkeeper. We'll have to agree to disagree but it's about as textbook a DOGSO handball as you'll see

All about the wording; I don't think there was a proper example of an opportunity but yes, the ball was going in

Would DOGSO apply to an OG, for example?

HeartsandonlyHearts
10 hours ago, weegie jambo said:

Won’t matter how many goals Newco need against us. Celtic play St. Mirren that day. 

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Won’t matter how many goals Newco need against us. Celtic play St. Mirren that day. 

:lol:

HeartsandonlyHearts
10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

3 wins puts us on 72 points. Nice incentive itself.

I figure 5 - 9 points. No defeats in our last 3 games.

gregzy2k7

Delighted that we have secured 3rd but stuff cheering that shower on, I have a feeling septic will pump them in the OF match next weekend and there game at tynie against us will be a dead rubber, hopefully we can at least take advantage of a dead rubber against them at home, or is that asking too much?

JFK-1
3 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

You don't think we should dip into that on the basis that next Season could be the last European GS Automatic spot for a while?

We also need to compete in 4 tournaments and get 3rd again

I think it might be standard practice to use it ahead of time given there is a known minimum amount they can work with. Anybody think Rangers if they make CL won’t spend bigger than they otherwise would have this summer?

And as you say a greater squad depth is required to juggle all these balls. 

John Findlay
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Fair play

Very fair play to him.

Hansel
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Fair play

Well done to him. Gutted he's out of the euros 😔 

kingantti1874
On 05/05/2024 at 12:11, Mikey1874 said:

Kilmarnock have to win to keep 3rd place going another week.

http://www.fawanews.com/Rangers vs Kilmarnock.html

Fair play but honest reaction is genuinely surprised. Didn’t think he was anything special at Aberdeen.  

Think tbh it says a bit about Serie A.   Certainly fallen back since the zidane and seedorf days 

jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Fair play but honest reaction is genuinely surprised. Didn’t think he was anything special at Aberdeen.  

Think tbh it says a bit about Serie A.   Certainly fallen back since the zidane and seedorf days 

To be fair, he has really kicked on in Italy, especially under Thiago Motta who is his manager. I think if you have not been following his time in Italy it can be a surprise but the Italian press rave about him.

leginten
12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Serie A is ok at the moment. Five Champions League places next year. A Champions League finalist last season. Three teams left in Europe this season, two of which are outside the top five. The team in fifth recently beat Liverpool 3-0 away. It maybe doesn’t have the strength in depth of some other leagues, certainly in the lower half, but you have huge clubs like Napoli, Roma and Lazio which are not going to be in the CL next year.

Ferguson didn’t really register with me at Aberdeen either. But I’ve watched a lot of him this season, and he has been genuinely outstanding. I think he could have been a great addition to the national side at the Euros if - and I realise it’s a very big if - Clarke had found a way to accommodate him in the team.

Hansel
23 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yeah, definitely not the level it once was. Still a huge achievement for the lad though

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Never the same level as you mention but they still have teams reaching semi's and finals of major european competitions season after season

John Findlay

I think we can all agree that overall Seria A is a stronger league than the SPL, so that's a very good achievement for the lad.

TheBigO
10 hours ago, leginten said:

Serie A is ok at the moment. Five Champions League places next year. A Champions League finalist last season. Three teams left in Europe this season, two of which are outside the top five. The team in fifth recently beat Liverpool 3-0 away. It maybe doesn’t have the strength in depth of some other leagues, certainly in the lower half, but you have huge clubs like Napoli, Roma and Lazio which are not going to be in the CL next year.

Ferguson didn’t really register with me at Aberdeen either. But I’ve watched a lot of him this season, and he has been genuinely outstanding. I think he could have been a great addition to the national side at the Euros if - and I realise it’s a very big if - Clarke had found a way to accommodate him in the team.

I think rather than look at this as being Serie A is lacking quality (nowhere near the truth as you say), we should be looking inward and saying we totally undervalue what we DO have in Scotland

It's a spiral of negativity in Scotland and every stakeholder in our game is guilty from authority to clubs, fans and media.  The game is continually talked down.  Yes our teams perform poorly in Europe etc etc and yes it can all be a bit of a two-bob joke at times, but how do we improve it if the only energy is spent slagging it off.

Ferguson, Hickey, Doig.  Three young lads who played a fair bit of 1st team SPFL and have gone and done amazingly well.  And what do they all have in common...???  None of them played for the OF.

We should be screaming from the rooftops that Scottish football - ALL OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL -  is a breeding ground for top European talent.

Like others, I was never that taken with Ferguson - thought he was a decent player but first and foremost a wee bawbag to be honest, haha!!  Well done to him, gutted he's out for the Euros.  Such a shame for the lad.  Might also scupper a truly massive summer move for him?

John Findlay
41 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

More problems for Edinburgh City?  Reports that they have failed to get their Bronze Licence within the grace period. SFA meeting is next week.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/edinburgh-city-face-being-expelled-32750074

Might be a saviour for East Kilbride or Stranraer.

Knowing the numpties who run our game, they will make a dog's dinner of this and upset everyone.

Heart&soul

Airdrie v Partick live tonight at 7:30pm on BBC Scotland in the first leg for the play offs. It’s a good chance to see Neilson in action. According to the BBC he’s been played mostly in his natural position of CH but had a few games in midfield - I’m not sure how accurate that will be. Tonight’s a good chance to see how he’s developing, plus both teams are pretty entertaining. 

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Like Hickey he was clearly a player.

I even suggested we could have went for him at one point.:rofl:

kingantti1874
46 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Like Hickey he was clearly a player.

I even suggested we could have went for him at one point.:rofl:

yup I was clearly missing something, none of my sons supporting mates seemed particularly bothered at the time either. 

Cameronstheman

Is Kirk getting any game time at Hamilton and if not id bring him back