UK and US say Russia fired a satellite weapon in space

JFK-1

Pretty obvious if it ever comes to conflict between major powers one of the first things to go will be the satellites. Which would then probably actually rule out space for generations afterwards. Destroying satellites would create an orbiting debris storm which itself would take out anything left in orbit.

And make it impossible to ever launch anything else until that debris cleared, which would take probably decades at a minimum. We would be trapped in a shell of debris. Goodbye GPS. It was good while it lasted.

The UK and US have accused Russia of launching a weapon-like projectile from a satellite in space. In a statement, the head of the UK's space directorate said: "We are concerned by the manner in which Russia tested one of its satellites by launching a projectile with the characteristics of a weapon."                                  

The statement said actions like this "threaten the peaceful use of space". The US has previously raised concerns about this Russian satellite.

FULL ARTICLE

been here before

Sounds like a job for 007.

Or maybe the Rebel Alliance if the Bothans can get the plans.

Edited by been here before

I gave GPS as an example but the implications are far wider. No observational satellites giving us all manner of data on climate and geosciences as a further example and no doubt much more. Communications implications.

I couldn't say if astronomy may be gone but i'm envisaging a shell of reflective debris creating such a glare across the night sky that ground based telescopes would be useless. And of course Hubble would be chewed up to become part of the debris shell.

Also couldn't say if radio astronomy may be affected but at a guess possibly. The loss of space would be world changing for humanity.

Aye cause the earths that wee. There's plenty of debris up there already, and still my maps work fine. 

Edited by ri Alban

I had a magnet once and it was 1-2kg. This thing had a pulling force of 300kg. So not going to do the math but I reckon rather than launching spaceships and X whatevers... we just built all the satelites we need, ready to send up there, unleash our giant magnet like 200 tonne, suck everybodies elses satelites out of the sky. Turn off the magnet, quickly send our new satelites up, business as usual (for us) within 48 hours. Then pawn off all the satelite scraps we got to all the other countries.

8 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

JFK-1 has been watching the Sandra Bullock Gravity scene a bit too much.

Reading science books and articles a bit too much would be a bit more accurate.

Kessler Syndrome