Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Harry Potter

Fly Fishing

Recommended Posts

Harry Potter

Have looked out my fly fishing gear and wondered if there would be enough interest on KB

to go out to a few trout fisheries in the Edinburgh area

Bangour trout fishery outside broxburn closes today for a month due to maintenance but looks good

and costs as little as 15 pounds for a 4 hour session.

Others such as Morton on the road to Livingstone are still open, anyway who does fly fish

and any big fish been caught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Have looked out my fly fishing gear and wondered if there would be enough interest on KB

to go out to a few trout fisheries in the Edinburgh area

Bangour trout fishery outside broxburn closes today for a month due to maintenance but looks good

and costs as little as 15 pounds for a 4 hour session.

Others such as Morton on the road to Livingstone are still open, anyway who does fly fish

and any big fish been caught.

Thought this was going to be a JR Hartley Book review. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid

I’ve also thought about getting the old rods out .

After last years floods there are some very interesting new runs on the water of leith through colinton dell.

Took a walk up around harlaw reservoir yesterday and the trout were feasting on flies , certainly giving some thought to getting back to fishing . 
Biggest I’ve caught was on Lake Ontario , when over visiting family , 18lb lake trout which my uncle got mounted ( now now) and sent over , 34 years ago and it’s hanging on the wall in my shed , wife won’t allow it in the house 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’ve also thought about getting the old rods out .

After last years floods there are some very interesting new runs on the water of leith through colinton dell.

Took a walk up around harlaw reservoir yesterday and the trout were feasting on flies , certainly giving some thought to getting back to fishing . 
Biggest I’ve caught was on Lake Ontario , when over visiting family , 18lb lake trout which my uncle got mounted ( now now) and sent over , 34 years ago and it’s hanging on the wall in my shed , wife won’t allow it in the house 😂

Was the Harelaw area busy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jake
Posted (edited)

I've been fishing for around 8/9years.

Shore fishing from cockenzie newhaven Granton and recently Queensferry area.

 

Would like to try other types like fly and would like to fish pike.

Watched a guy land one on the canal at leamington.

He had it dancing .

They are vicious looking predators.

Tbh I dont care if I catch it's good for the soul.

Love going out on the boat on holiday.

Best catch was 4 mackerel on .

My real broke and I had to pull them up by hand at Newhaven.

My chest was was proudly pouted.

 

Edited by jake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Thought this was going to be a JR Hartley Book review. 😎

It's an age thing Dave.

 

Youngsters haven't a clue what your on about. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

It's an age thing Dave.

 

Youngsters haven't a clue what your on about. :thumbsup:

True. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Thought this was going to be a JR Hartley Book review. 😎

Nope Dave, the rod i have was found in a Leith shop about 35 years ago, its still in great condition,

i still have flies from the era as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

 

i still have flies from the era as well.

I am always going to, bet never do, tie some flies/lures from whenbI started fishing to see if I still catch on them, Jack Frost Appetizer Ace of Spades Mickey Finn Whiskey Fly Worm Fly Pollystickle Babydoll and the like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I am always going to, bet never do, tie some flies/lures from whenbI started fishing to see if I still catch on them, Jack Frost Appetizer Ace of Spades Mickey Finn Whiskey Fly Worm Fly Pollystickle Babydoll and the like. 

Not even going there Dawnrazor, fly making takes a very lot of patience, mind you can see the satisfaction of catching a fish with a fly 

you have produced.

Some of my flies,

003.JPG

004.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Not even going there Dawnrazor, fly making takes a very lot of patience, mind you can see the satisfaction of catching a fish with a fly 

you have produced.

Some of my flies,

003.JPG

004.JPG

I've been tying all my own flies for years now, I enjoy it as much as fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
5 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’ve also thought about getting the old rods out .

After last years floods there are some very interesting new runs on the water of leith through colinton dell.

Took a walk up around harlaw reservoir yesterday and the trout were feasting on flies , certainly giving some thought to getting back to fishing . 
Biggest I’ve caught was on Lake Ontario , when over visiting family , 18lb lake trout which my uncle got mounted ( now now) and sent over , 34 years ago and it’s hanging on the wall in my shed , wife won’t allow it in the house 😂

18 pounds thats huge, well done, noticed in the news a wild brownie caught on the water of leith in the

centre of Edinburgh, have fished it at Roseburn and longstone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

18 pounds thats huge, well done, noticed in the news a wild brownie caught on the water of leith in the

centre of Edinburgh, have fished it at Roseburn and longstone.

To be fair that was caught with a spinner but I did get a 8lb on the fly when taken to a different lake a few days later , it was put back though to live another day . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Thought this was going to be a JR Hartley Book review. 😎

 

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

It's an age thing Dave.

 

Youngsters haven't a clue what your on about. :thumbsup:

Haven’t got a clue what either of you are talking about...

 

 

 

 

 

 

:whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
muiry

Nymphs, buzzers and boobies. 

Barbless hooks, catch and release 🎣🎣🎣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
5 minutes ago, muiry said:

Nymphs, buzzers and boobies. 

Barbless hooks, catch and release 🎣🎣🎣

Boobies!!!! Heathen!!!!! Even on a washing line I'll have a well ginked up Midas or  ig Carrot fly, possibly a sedgehog, but never a boobie or a blob, chav flies😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
muiry
36 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Boobies!!!! Heathen!!!!! Even on a washing line I'll have a well ginked up Midas or  ig Carrot fly, possibly a sedgehog, but never a boobie or a blob, chav flies😅

Two boobies one on the point, two nymphs then another boobies on the top dropper, especially when fishing in Englandshire 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, muiry said:

Two boobies one on the point, two nymphs then another boobies on the top dropper, especially when fishing in Englandshire 😍

That's a popular method, I just can't bring myself to tie one on!!!

I fish the same method but with ginked up big dries, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside😁

My son however, a blob is the first thing he ties on every trip.........and a bung😳🤬🤬🤬🤬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
muiry
14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's a popular method, I just can't bring myself to tie one on!!!

I fish the same method but with ginked up big dries, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside😁

My son however, a blob is the first thing he ties on every trip.........and a bung😳🤬🤬🤬🤬

ahh the iron lung....... Its a float. 

 

 

 

 

 

I have a few 🙄🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo

I have a book on fly fishing, by some bloke called J.R. Hartley.

Any of you wanting a lend?

 

😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
superjack

I tried fly fishing years ago. Too much hassle, to me fishing is about relaxation. I cast out my line, usually using a worm, the sit down and relax. So.etines catching fish can ruin the days fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
13 hours ago, Morgan said:

 

Haven’t got a clue what either of you are talking about...

 

 

 

 

 

 

:whistling:

You're more from the gardner being given a ride-on mower era aren't you? 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
9 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I have a book on fly fishing, by some bloke called J.R. Hartley.

Any of you wanting a lend?

 

😁

me me😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
On 05/07/2020 at 07:40, Harry Potter said:

Have looked out my fly fishing gear and wondered if there would be enough interest on KB

to go out to a few trout fisheries in the Edinburgh area

Bangour trout fishery outside broxburn closes today for a month due to maintenance but looks good

and costs as little as 15 pounds for a 4 hour session.

Others such as Morton on the road to Livingstone are still open, anyway who does fly fish

and any big fish been caught.

Isn't there a fly called a "Harry Potter"  now ?      Less controversial than an "Ally McCoist" at least  (canlt bring myself to buy one of these)  😀       Now, if only someone would design  a  "Rudi Skacel",   I'd  use that even it caught f"ck all.      Maroon & white dubbing & hackle !!

 

Back on topic,  I  fish dry fly on the River Carron a bit (until the bankside vegetation in some parts  becomes an impenetrable jungle), Black Loch near Slamannan, plus  reservoirs like Glencorse, Harlaw and Carron Valley.   A lot of places  seem infested just now with wild (trash) campers and paddle boarders, unfortunately.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Isn't there a fly called a "Harry Potter"  now ?      Less controversial than an "Ally McCoist" at least  (canlt bring myself to buy one of these)  😀       Now, if only someone would design  a  "Rudi Skacel",   I'd  use that even it caught f"ck all.      Maroon & white dubbing & hackle !!

 

Back on topic,  I  fish dry fly on the River Carron a bit (until the bankside vegetation in some parts  becomes an impenetrable jungle), Black Loch near Slamannan, plus  reservoirs like Glencorse, Harlaw and Carron Valley.   A lot of places  seem infested just now with wild (trash) campers and paddle boarders, unfortunately.     

Thanks for the reply, thought the thread was dead in the water, Bangour fishery opens up again on the 8th

of August after a month of maintenance.

Their rules are min 6 pound breaking strain , barbless hooks at max size 8, costs min 15 pounds if you put the

fish back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid

Do any of the fisheries supply equipment ? The rods I’ve got will be fine but I’ll need to invest in new line ( what’s the price of that and where’s the best place to buy it nowadays ?) .
My mate who’s never fished says he might come along but he’s not got any equipment and doesn’t really want to buy any in case he doesn’t like it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One five
Posted (edited)

I’ve been fly fishing since around 14 (and loved it ever since)on the tweed at Peebles where we could fish then for free , started fishing rainbows mostly at portmore when it was public private now I heard but got fed up a bit of Rainbow bashing lol . I fished a lot on Leven but I’m not sure if that is open yet . Although I’ve not been out since last September  I only now fish for brownies mostly on the Tay, Tummel and the tweed near gala, the river Clyde down by Abington is a nice stretch easy fishing and a nice drive down plenty fish but 1/2 pound if your lucky. I’m going up to Sutherland in September on a fishing weekend looking forward to getting them lines stretched again, tight lines guys.

Edited by One five

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Thanks for the reply, thought the thread was dead in the water, Bangour fishery opens up again on the 8th

of August after a month of maintenance.

Their rules are min 6 pound breaking strain , barbless hooks at max size 8, costs min 15 pounds if you put the

fish back.

Ah ok, thanks - not normally my cup of tea, but might give it a go sometime.   👍   I prefer  the bigger waters with less angling pressure and lower fish density,  where they  tend to revert to natural feeding habits better (in my opinion).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doctor jambo

Spent my formative years fly fishing and tying - stared on wild browns in the galloway hills, then onto stockies.

Then onto Pike .

Love it .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doctor jambo

Fly fishing in the summer, dead baiting for pike all winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
5 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Do any of the fisheries supply equipment ? The rods I’ve got will be fine but I’ll need to invest in new line ( what’s the price of that and where’s the best place to buy it nowadays ?) .
My mate who’s never fished says he might come along but he’s not got any equipment and doesn’t really want to buy any in case he doesn’t like it . 

Edinburgh Angling Centre will have the widest selection ...... just don't get conned into buying a line over £40.    There's usually a few decent ones on sale for £40 or less which will do you fine.   Angling Active in Stirling & Dunfermline has a big range too.   Check out some of the few remaining small fishing shops via  their websites (Fishers in Penicuik  for example).    Think there's one in Livi too.   👍 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doctor jambo
On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 07:16, superjack said:

I tried fly fishing years ago. Too much hassle, to me fishing is about relaxation. I cast out my line, usually using a worm, the sit down and relax. So.etines catching fish can ruin the days fishing.

IN the Hebrides you must be mad!

Spent ages on lochans up there catching small brownies.

Great fun in total isolation.

When I moved to work there all I had on the ferry was a ricksack of clothes and my fly fishing gear.

Should have packed a spare liver right enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
4 hours ago, One five said:

I’ve been fly fishing since around 14 (and loved it ever since)on the tweed at Peebles where we could fish then for free , started fishing rainbows mostly at portmore when it was public private now I heard but got fed up a bit of Rainbow bashing lol . I fished a lot on Leven but I’m not sure if that is open yet . Although I’ve not been out since last September  I only now fish for brownies mostly on the Tay, Tummel and the tweed near gala, the river Clyde down by Abington is a nice stretch easy fishing and a nice drive down plenty fish but 1/2 pound if your lucky. I’m going up to Sutherland in September on a fishing weekend looking forward to getting them lines stretched again, tight lines guys.

Aye, rainbows are still good fun (and sometimes surprisingly challenging), but wild brownies are the holy grail - especially anything 3-quarter lb or over.   Their colouration is awesome - hardly ever 2 the same.     I started around  age 10-11.  Dad used to take me to the Gala Water between Stow and Heriot   (we just assumed it was free !)  .... loads of wee brownies and salmon parr pecking at your flies as they swung round. Changed days now.  I was intending getting a trout season permit for the Peebles water  this year, but the lockdown put paid to that.    

 

What's your normal tactics of the rivers ?   Where in Sutherland will you be  you fishing ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
17 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Fly fishing in the summer, dead baiting for pike all winter.

No closed season for you then Dr J !!      Do you do any fishing in Ayrshire ?    I've got fond boyhood memories of fishing off the pier in Girvan (my Mum came from there) - loads of plaice, flounder, saithe ..... and eels.    Pretty much all gone now I think - quite sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

No closed season for you then Dr J !!      Do you do any fishing in Ayrshire ?    I've got fond boyhood memories of fishing off the pier in Girvan (my Mum came from there) - loads of plaice, flounder, saithe ..... and eels.    Pretty much all gone now I think - quite sad. 

Some rainbow bashing. Sea is dead.

the boys from here drive to Arbroath .

The pike really suffered from non locals killing the pike after catching them and leaving litter and faeces in all the pegs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One five
20 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Aye, rainbows are still good fun (and sometimes surprisingly challenging), but wild brownies are the holy grail - especially anything 3-quarter lb or over.   Their colouration is awesome - hardly ever 2 the same.     I started around  age 10-11.  Dad used to take me to the Gala Water between Stow and Heriot   (we just assumed it was free !)  .... loads of wee brownies and salmon parr pecking at your flies as they swung round. Changed days now.  I was intending getting a trout season permit for the Peebles water  this year, but the lockdown put paid to that.    

 

What's your normal tactics of the rivers ?   Where in Sutherland will you be  you fishing ? 

Yeah rainbows can be great fun use to love the rainbows out of loch leven great fight like the brownies there

. Depends if loch or river , I usually fish the dry fly on a river anything brown or orange at the Tay/Tummel and the tweed often catches but if no luck often get the hares ear out with a gold tip to get sub surface will try anything though lol ,on the lochs normally fish the wet unless there is activity on the surface but that usually happens just before dark but anything black with silver or red  like a black Zulu often does well but as you will know nothing is certain . We are going to Durness for 3 days so hopefully get some fun up there with the wild brownies fished it once up there they are a silver colour almost like a sea trout think they have to be over 2 pund before you can take them . 

 

what’s your tactics on the tweed ? Do you do any salmon fishing?   I’m thinking of getting a day down there before the season ends just for the trout salmon is to expensive for me . Done a bit salmon on the blackadder that was good value, never landed anything though 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One five
1 hour ago, One five said:

Yeah rainbows can be great fun use to love the rainbows out of loch leven great fight like the brownies there

. Depends if loch or river , I usually fish the dry fly on a river anything brown or orange at the Tay/Tummel and the tweed often catches but if no luck often get the hares ear out with a gold tip to get sub surface will try anything though lol ,on the lochs normally fish the wet unless there is activity on the surface but that usually happens just before dark but anything black with silver or red  like a black Zulu often does well but as you will know nothing is certain . We are going to Durness for 3 days so hopefully get some fun up there with the wild brownies fished it once up there they are a silver colour almost like a sea trout think they have to be over 2 pund before you can take them . 

 

what’s your tactics on the tweed ? Do you do any salmon fishing?   I’m thinking of getting a day down there before the season ends just for the trout salmon is to expensive for me . Done a bit salmon on the blackadder that was good value, never landed anything though 🤷‍♂️

Sorry meant whitadder 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doctor jambo

Sea trout fly fishing at night is the best of all worlds.

Feeling the thump in the dark is incredible.

The only times I have encountered otters too!

Much, much better fight per pound than either salmon or trout as well, especially in fast water.

A 2lb sea trout feels like a 10lb rainbow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Edinburgh Angling Centre will have the widest selection ...... just don't get conned into buying a line over £40.    There's usually a few decent ones on sale for £40 or less which will do you fine.   Angling Active in Stirling & Dunfermline has a big range too.   Check out some of the few remaining small fishing shops via  their websites (Fishers in Penicuik  for example).    Think there's one in Livi too.   👍 

Thank you 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
8 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Do any of the fisheries supply equipment ? The rods I’ve got will be fine but I’ll need to invest in new line ( what’s the price of that and where’s the best place to buy it nowadays ?) .
My mate who’s never fished says he might come along but he’s not got any equipment and doesn’t really want to buy any in case he doesn’t like it . 

Try John Norris in Penrith, they do thier own range of tackle, thier lines are very good for the money, they ofter have sales on and you can get great bargins, I buy a lot of gear from them.

https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AW1
Posted (edited)

Taken Beach/Shore Casting back up since lockdown. Blanked three times. Tried first down Joppa by the Rockville, then Seafield behind the dog and cat home twice. Apparently people aren't catching much these days according to a passer by i got speaking too but did recommend Cockenzie/Port Seton to me and also Musselburgh Harbour for Mackerel. 

 

Anyone else know any other good marks apart from the above mentioned along the Forth? I enjoy getting out but I don't wanna blank again next time out. Been using the right bait it's just not seeming to happen 

 

As for fly fishing I wouldn't even know where to start 

Edited by AW1
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One five
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Sea trout fly fishing at night is the best of all worlds.

Feeling the thump in the dark is incredible.

The only times I have encountered otters too!

Much, much better fight per pound than either salmon or trout as well, especially in fast water.

A 2lb sea trout feels like a 10lb rainbow

Your correct, Hooked a sea trout on the nith about 15 year ago absolutely brilliant that was around 2lb thought I’d honestly hooked a 10lb amazing 👍

Edited by One five

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Try John Norris in Penrith, they do thier own range of tackle, thier lines are very good for the money, they ofter have sales on and you can get great bargins, I buy a lot of gear from them.

https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/

👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
5 hours ago, One five said:

Yeah rainbows can be great fun use to love the rainbows out of loch leven great fight like the brownies there

. Depends if loch or river , I usually fish the dry fly on a river anything brown or orange at the Tay/Tummel and the tweed often catches but if no luck often get the hares ear out with a gold tip to get sub surface will try anything though lol ,on the lochs normally fish the wet unless there is activity on the surface but that usually happens just before dark but anything black with silver or red  like a black Zulu often does well but as you will know nothing is certain . We are going to Durness for 3 days so hopefully get some fun up there with the wild brownies fished it once up there they are a silver colour almost like a sea trout think they have to be over 2 pund before you can take them . 

 

what’s your tactics on the tweed ? Do you do any salmon fishing?   I’m thinking of getting a day down there before the season ends just for the trout salmon is to expensive for me . Done a bit salmon on the blackadder that was good value, never landed anything though 🤷‍♂️

Is that the limestone lochs up Durness way ?     If you get decent conditions up there, it should be brilliant.   

 

I started dabbling in  salmon fishing 12 years ago - we take a beat on the River Deveron for a week every June (cancelled this year obviously).  My sum total is 1 salmon and  3 sea trout and a few lovely wild brownies up to 1 lb.    Not a great return for the money spent  (a bit like  following Hearts actually 🙂 )    I think our week is a bit too early for decent numbers of salmon being in the river, so I just concentrate on the trout  now mainly.    There's a couple of good rainbow fisheries up that way  also - Forgue and Artloch.  

 

A couple of the older guys in our group are great fans of the Whiteadder for the salmon - they reckon it gives the best return for money, although its a fair old journey from  Edinburgh on country roads.

 

I should probably  take one of these guided days on the Tweed next year, .and learn how to fish rivers properly ...  these guys seem to know how to catch big trout !!    I presume Czech/PT nymph is effective on the Tweed ?    Salmon and  sea trout catches seem to have made a modest  recovery last year.... and might do again this year .... after a steady decline over the last 30 years.     

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lone Striker
4 hours ago, AW1 said:

Taken Beach/Shore Casting back up since lockdown. Blanked three times. Tried first down Joppa by the Rockville, then Seafield behind the dog and cat home twice. Apparently people aren't catching much these days according to a passer by i got speaking too but did recommend Cockenzie/Port Seton to me and also Musselburgh Harbour for Mackerel. 

 

Anyone else know any other good marks apart from the above mentioned along the Forth? I enjoy getting out but I don't wanna blank again next time out. Been using the right bait it's just not seeming to happen 

 

As for fly fishing I wouldn't even know where to start 

A couple of fishing guys I know live out Port Seton way, and when they get a whisper that the mackerel are inshore they head for Cockenzie area.   I think they actually fly fish for them - probably big flashy flies like Alexandra or sea trout flies.    I can't remember  what times of year the fish come in - sorry.  I think there used to be decent shore/rock fishing at some places on the Fife coast. Try the sea fishing chat forums to get some info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dawnrazor
Posted (edited)

Me and a mate went to Niest Point Lighthouse on Skye a few times, I was fly fishing from the rocks below the lighthouse and cought Pollock up to 7lbs, lots around 3/4lbs, if you think Sea Trout can fight, get into a Pollock abouve 5 lbs with a couple of hundred feet of sea to dive down into and a a fast tide aswell, outstanding sport!! No fancy tackle needed, I used a 10ft #6 with an Di 7 line and tied up some big, ugly, sparkly "flies" on sea hooks, any colour worked but black and green was the best, if anyone gets a chance to do similar I'd highly recommend it. A Mackerel of 1/2 lbs fights like you wouldn't believe on light fly gear.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One five

Yeah it’s the limestone lochs we are going to hopefully caladail and croispol I’ve read they are the best so fingers crossed it all goes good .

 

I’ve never fished the Deveron I’ve heard good reports from it with the sea trout fishing will hopefully get up there one day. 
 

I would not no what fly for salmon when I fished the whitadder it was whatever looked the brightest lol , my wife got us a hotel in Dunkeld for us for my birthday and it included a spey castings lesson for me on the Tay it was absolutely brilliant I picked it up pretty good but still not a take eh maybe not that good lol😡

 

Nymphs where a favourite at portmore also at end of august /September the daddy was great ! loved watching them chase it before the strike great fun maybe don’t give give the rainbows enough credit nowadays stuck in my ways I suppose 😆.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFK-1
On 05/07/2020 at 16:51, iantjambo said:

I have a book on fly fishing, by some bloke called J.R. Hartley.

Any of you wanting a lend?

 

😁

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban

Fishing ::facepaw::

 

:sobored:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...