Robbie's Return. Yay or Nay?

Dallas Green

Robbie's Return. Yay or Nay?  

1,007 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Robbie coming back?

Was gutted about it yesterday but today is a new day. Am hoping for double and triple sessions and am hoping the dull, boring football was Leveins doing (not holding out hope as it followed him to MK and United). No wins at home to the likes of county, Livi and Hamilton has to change. Here’s hoping he’s the man for the job. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David McCaig

• gowestjambo

• jock _turd

• Dallas Green

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ford donald
2 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

There is a lot of talk about Robbie "splitting the support" so I thought it would be handy to see the actual split (on JKB at least)

He must be a better manager now,after his MK Dons and DU experience,would expect a high standard from him.

Mixed feelings. I'm happy to have Neilson back, but those feelings are overshadowed by my sadness that Herr Stendel has gone.

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

I voted yes. I feel a bit underwhelmed but his stats in his first spell are difficult to argue with.

If he wants to succeed recognising how important the derby is to fans is crucial. We're not a club who win trophies every year. Beating those tramps from Leith helps pass the time between them. 

I wish 'meh' was an answer, because thats about as inspired as I feel by it. 

'Meh' sums it up but I am just glad to have stability, oh boy do we need it.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I'm on board as quite frankly there is no other choice but to be.  I'm sick to the back teeth of not being on board. However, he needs to cut out his mistakes from lat time and heed this strong advice:

1.  Beating Hibs is everything on derby day, no ifs buts or maybes.  there shall be no gear except 5th and no pedal but the accelerator.  This is non negotiable!

2. Improve the discipline of your squad, it was nothing short of abysmal last time

3. Stop tinkering and fannying about - I crave a stable XI

4. Do not get taken in by Saint Budge and her pixies and unicorns, this is professional sport and it is ALL about the men's first team and winning

That aside, welcome home pal

I'm sure Robbie will be on here to read about your strong advice that he must heed.  Maybe you should apply for the Sporting Director role, given how much knowledge of running a football club you appear to have.

Lockdown doesn't appear to be treating you well.  Then again, I don't think you ever got out much anyway.

1 hour ago, heartened said:

I"m c!early in the minority. Fair's fair.

Gutted about it though. Thought he started off our descent into truly awful football.

Lucky it was announced yesterday, was going to renew season ticket today but not now.

Failing to back hearts, shocking patter! You won't be missed i guess.

jambo-in-furness
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Why?

Robbie’s two seasons in the SPL were 3rd and 2nd approaching halfway.

Stendel took over a team in 11th place and made them worse!!

why? 

When he was here, we were (apart from the championship year)in the main underwhelming.

Under Stendel, Certain Hearts players, particularly Claire came on leaps and bounds and Stendels enthusiasm was there for all to see and imo had loads more to offer.

I will happily accept to be proven wrong but to me we’ve seen the best of Neilson but not Stendel.

I am not happy about Robbie coming back because of the way it's come about.  We got ****ed over by the league and had to recruit a new manager. 

Apart from that I wish Robbie all the best and would like him to achieve success by winning trophies with Hearts as a manager (head coach).

:sad: 👍

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, JohnB said:

Thanks Colin - If I ever need them I'll know where to come. 

PS Ambivalence definition  - simultaneous and contradictory attitudes or feelings (such as attraction and repulsion) toward an object, person, or action.

I do know what ambivalence means but I'm sure the hobos on here probably think it's the van that takes you to hospital, so worth explaining.

For the above mentioned, the crutches were a play on words based on "ambulent".

6 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I'm sure Robbie will be on here to read about your strong advice that he must heed.  Maybe you should apply for the Sporting Director role, given how much knowledge of running a football club you appear to have.

Lockdown doesn't appear to be treating you well.  Then again, I don't think you ever got out much anyway.

OK, not too sure my post deserved that reply but hey ho.

Think Robbie is exactly what we need at this point in time.

Think it might take a bit of time to turn this team round though.

He was great last time with a few flaws so hopefully he has ironed them out with his experience.

Got to remember it was his first managers job first time round, he was going to make mistakes.

Welcome back Robbie 🤗🤗🤗🤗

1 hour ago, heartened said:

I"m c!early in the minority. Fair's fair.

Gutted about it though. Thought he started off our descent into truly awful football.

Lucky it was announced yesterday, was going to renew season ticket today but not now.

tenor.gif?itemid=10803496

colinmaroon

Continuing with Stendel was always going to be risky based on his results.  Added to that is the strong rumour that he has said he has other offers. 

Robbie appointment with a better DOF in situ will be perfect for us for now. regardless of what league we are playing in, stability is needed on the footballing side of the club and quickly. Robbie might not be inspiring many people, but you can't argue the guy knows the club and is a winner. 

Can we all just get behind Robbie. We need a bit of siege mentality whenever this new season starts, whatever division we are in. We have got to stick together on this one, as everybody and his dog will be having a go at us.

#AlwaysHearts

doctor jambo

His record with us was outstanding, really outstanding.

His record with Dundee Utd was outstanding too.

thats all I need , welcome back

David McCaig
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

His record with us was outstanding, really outstanding.

His record with Dundee Utd was outstanding too.

thats all I need , welcome back

Even at MK Dons he won more than he lost!!

Would have liked to have seen what Stendel could have achieved with his own team but in the absence of that option, will welcome Robbie back with open arms

Knows the club, knows what's expected. If DS has made other plans or if we'd have been left in limbo waiting on him then getting Robbie in as quick as possible is the perfect solution. 

Whats not to like about it ?

David McCaig
16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yay.... 

Looks like it's a myth about a split. 

There seem to be myths aplenty... mainly about being boring and defensive, despite 96 goals in the championship and 13 goals in his last 5 games at the club, including two 3-3 draws.

There is the myth of leaving on a downward curve, despite being unbeaten in his last 5 games and signing with a 2-0 and 3-0 wins v Rangers and Motherwell respectively.

He knows the club inside out and is an outstanding appointment by any yardstick.

Edited by David McCaig

Unknown user

Who quickly dropped out the team to Bjorn Johnsen... a great example of where a Manager (Cathro) quickly managed to make a very good player, as he has subsequently proved, look absolutely garbage.

This isn't about Cathro, Robbie thought Sammon was worth signing, and that's a  definite black mark. I'm behind him but hopefully he's learned and won't do similar again. 

Just now, David McCaig said:

There seem to be myths aplenty... mainly about being boring and defensive, despite 96 goals in the championship and 13 goals in his last 5 games at club, including two 3-3 draws.

There is the myth of leaving on a downward curve, despite being unbeaten in his last 5 games and signing with a 2-0 and 3-0 wins v Rangers and Motherwell respectively.

He knows the club inside out and is an outstanding appointment by any yardstick.

Certainly is. 

He's still young, only 40, has huge experience already and can improve. 

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This isn't about Cathro, Robbie thought Sammon was worth signing, and that's a  definite black mark. I'm behind him but hopefully he's learned and won't do similar again. 

Everyone makes errors and obviously Sammon was one... a guy with every attribute to be a top class footballer other than any footballing ability!!!

The signing of Sammon was more than balanced by the signing of Bjorn Johnsen, Osman Sow and of course Genaro Zeefuik.

A_A wehatethehibs

First time round, his steadily rebuilt Hearts team got promoted -> got 3rd -> was sitting 2nd. I felt it was a mistake for him to leave as we were just one or two additions away from a smashing end to the season, instead we got Cathro. But Robbie wanted to try his hand in England which every pro player and manager does. That's where the potential big bucks are. 

He comes in now as a more experienced manager, with no Craig Levein to either help him or hinder him, so we will see what he is all about as his own man. This club is in his blood, one things for sure he will not be leaving us again anytime soon so get behind him for the long term. 

The overwhelming majority has spoken so can the insignificant vocal minority pipe down and back the club. 

Not overwhelmed by his return however, he is now manager of Heart of Midlothian,he and the team will get my full support wherever we end up. HHGH!!.

gowestjambo
2 hours ago, jock _turd said:

If JKB is indicative of the Hearts support in general there is no split.

Or 90% of our Fans are happy with boring defensive football and mid table safety. On a previous thread the requirement was someone who had no fear of the O/F, well we have not exactly met that criteria with Robbie. The choice was not merely Stendel or Neilson, how far afield did we look?

Dallas Green
11 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Or 90% of our Fans are happy with boring defensive football and mid table safety. On a previous thread the requirement was someone who had no fear of the O/F, well we have not exactly met that criteria with Robbie. The choice was not merely Stendel or Neilson, how far afield did we look?

Mid table safety?

Won the Championship with ease. 3rd place first season back. 2nd place (although more games played than Aberdeen) when he left.

Central Belt 1874
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Was gutted about it yesterday but today is a new day. Am hoping for double and triple sessions and am hoping the dull, boring football was Leveins doing (not holding out hope as it followed him to MK and United). No wins at home to the likes of county, Livi and Hamilton has to change. Here’s hoping he’s the man for the job. 

I would add taking the cups and Europe (if he gets us back there in a few years!) much more seriously. 

No point finishing third if we are pumped out of Europe to part time teams early on. Significant sums of money are available from the Group stages of Europa League. 

That should be our aim down the line. 

doctor jambo
27 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Mid table is a strange assertion.

Middle of the european spots maybe

I’ll say publicly no.  He will get all the support in the world but the back tracking, re-writing him leaving last time around and people with an over opinion as to the prodigal son has returned without facing a barrage of abuse makes debate impossible.  Keeping Stendel or Robinson would have been a much better shout imo.  Good luck to him though he is one of our own afterall. 

Central Belt 1874
16 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Mid table safety?

Won the Championship with ease. 3rd place first season back. 2nd place (although more games played than Aberdeen) when he left.

What was all that for in the end? No difference between 3rd and 6th other than a little prize money. He needed to show some ambition, talk up the team and the club and at least attempt to acknowledge when we screwed up. 

I didn't see that from him. Leaving a club in 2nd spot speaks volumes about what he thought of the squad and the goings on in the background at the time. 

It needs to be a different Robbie Neilson this time around I feel, let's not make out everything was wonderful when he left. 

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Take a minute to focus on the positives, he rebuilt us and got us back in Europe in short order. There was no mid table involved, 5th and 6th happened after he left. Think about where we were when he took over, we had almost nothing. From there he developed young players Paterson, Walker, Nicholson etc. Good few fan favourite signings as well, Sow, Zeefuik, Djoum, etc. OK a few duds like Sammon but the overall balance is positive:

When Neilson started - relegated with a threadbare administration squad.

When he left - challenging for Europe for the second successive season.

If he repeats what he did first time, and gets Hearts back to the Europa League spots, maybe this time, fans like you will give him a bit more respect. We all know now how hard it's going to be, a big task so let's get behind our manager.

Marty Byrde

I guess I find it a disappointment as I wanted DS to stay and I'm not exactly delighted to watch what Robbie serves up as football. But results matter most and that's where we are.

I do think he will do a reasonable job though and I'm hopeful without Levein hovering he's a bit more cavalier than before. 

There seem to be myths aplenty... mainly about being boring and defensive, despite 96 goals in the championship and 13 goals in his last 5 games at the club, including two 3-3 draws.

Nail on head

57 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Or less than 10% really don’t know what they are talking about and can’t face facts. Other than a brief 3 months spell with Burley,  Nielson has the best  managerial record in the clubs history. He is still, at 40, on the upward cycle in his career, was very successful with us first time round on a shoestring budget. Yes he didn’t succeed at MK but has done a good job at United. We get him back with 3 more years of further experience.  
Who were your preferred candidates for the job? 

13 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

I guess I find it a disappointment as I wanted DS to stay and I'm not exactly delighted to watch what Robbie serves up as football. But results matter most and that's where we are.

I do think he will do a reasonable job though and I'm hopeful without Levein hovering he's a bit more cavalier than before. 

96 goals in a season, 10-0 victory, 6-0 victory in top league. What does cavalier mean? 

HillmanHearts

Voted Yes.

Have to admit that I maybe wasn't overly devastated when he left, but all things considered and based on current circumstances, it's a really solid appointment.

Strong decisive leadership from Mrs Budge too !

( He needs to work on his approach to Derbies : was all system and not enough passion )

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

96 goals in a season, 10-0 victory, 6-0 victory in top league. What does cavalier mean? 

Nobody at all is forgetting the championship season.  It was the more defensive side of things that happened all of a sudden six months back in the Prem for some reason that changed things.  

Championship we had a great squad with a great mix of youth who played the season before at a higher level and some very good signings to add needed experience.  When we went up the confidence was still there and it showed for around half the season.  Then something changed, the signings became a lot more shit too and serious questions where being asked as to how much control had over the team and how much bottle Robbie had to tell Levein to piss off.

Since leaving he's had very little success so the jury is well and truly out.  There’s no shackles of Levein this time and with SD hopefully he will be fully concentrating on coaching the squad more than anything else.  Hardly an outstanding appointment but certainly not the worst out there when McCann and Pressley was in the running before.  

Edited by Last Laff

Dallas Green
29 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

What was all that for in the end? No difference between 3rd and 6th other than a little prize money. He needed to show some ambition, talk up the team and the club and at least attempt to acknowledge when we screwed up. 

I didn't see that from him. Leaving a club in 2nd spot speaks volumes about what he thought of the squad and the goings on in the background at the time. 

It needs to be a different Robbie Neilson this time around I feel, let's not make out everything was wonderful when he left. 

European football is the prize for finishing third.

The difference in prize money is probably a decent players wage for the year.

I think his win ratio, goals and final league positions speak plenty for his ability. 

I didnt vote. Should be an indifferent option.

I'll be honest im on the fence. The team will get my full backing but see it from both sides. He had a good first stint with us but we were woeful in some big games.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

My problem with this is that it all feels too cosy. Budge still in charge and going back to something she’s tried before, the same old faces. We needed a big culture change at Hearts and maybe it’s coming but this feels like us continuing in the same vein.

That said, Neilson has a very good record in the Championship. But quite honesty we should be pissing the league next season anyway 

1 hour ago, gowestjambo said:

What a crock that is... wins  championship with records, third in SPL second season and then is hounded out by a bunch of arseholes when second in the SPL.