Willie Thorne

Jeff

Very sad indeed.

RIP

I used to love watching Snooker back in Willies day. The game was jam packed with characters.

🙁

Didn't he claim to have made the most 147s...on the practice table?

Always remember my mum used to see some guy who was the spitting image of him. 😁😬

His style of commentary was very interesting.    He could add really insightful break building analysis and many shots ahead.   He had a chess-like mind for snooker break building.

Thorne was the opponent in Stephen Hendry's 1st world championship match.    Thorne beat Hendry (who looked about 13) 10-8 after a bit of a scare.

He had a scorching gambling addiction for a long time which blighted his life.

I never saw this and started a new thread. I liked his commentary. He will be missed in snooker circles. RIP.

Another of those snooker players whom you learned had a really good sense of humour AFTER his playing career ended...

Snooker legend. Pretty sure he had a lot of addiction problems, gambling and alcohol which he had to overcome. 

Some player and great snooker punditry as well. 

I liked him.  He was around when sport in general was just all round that little bit better.

4 minutes ago, benny said:

Surprised to learn that he only won 1 ranking tournament in his career.

The Mercantile Credit Classic if I remember correctly. The main thing I remember about Wllie Thorn is him getting ripped on Fantasy Football League.

Anyone interested, here's the classic Best of Friends video, celebrating Willie and Gary Lineker's friendship. 

3 hours ago, benny said:

Surprised he won one, his nerves went to pot on the big stage. As someone said earlier he used to score 147's for fun in practice.

I met him years ago in his snooker club in Leicester, lovely guy.

RIP.

gashauskis9
11 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I liked him.  He was around when sport in general was just all round that little bit better.

Spot on chief 

4 hours ago, graygo said:

Surprised he won one, his nerves went to pot on the big stage. As someone said earlier he used to score 147's for fun in practice.

I met him years ago in his snooker club in Leicester, lovely guy.

RIP.

Big gambler, known to bet against himself (So I was told a long time ago by a mate who knew the snooker scene back in the day).

True or not, a really nice guy and may he he RIP. 

21 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

This....

On 17/06/2020 at 08:48, benny said:

Tall order in an era containing both Davis and Hendry. Anybody else winning anything had to be at the very top of their game and hope those two were slightly off.

Silvery_Moon
On 17/06/2020 at 10:26, Normthebarman said:

Loved him in The Bill. 

😂

Fantasy football did a sketch of him on the show based on the Gary Lineker Walkers Crisps advert. 

And another clip with the man himself on the show (The Bill gets mentioned). 

Seemed a nice bloke. R. I. P.