Minneapolis Police Chief Talks

Sharpie

Watched a bit of his interview on CNN. He has cancelled contract talks with his Departments Police Association. He suggests that finances will be discussed with experts he will bring in and also will review all the departments practises and policies. He blames arbitration for not being able to fire officers who breached codes of conduct. He states that being fresh rookies is no excuse for standing by while an assault is being carried out. I don't know where he was a rookie, but I sure remember mine, I was a former sergeant in the Brigade of Guards, and as a probationary constable recruit still had some trepidation when dealing with older P.C.s. Some of these older men if you peed them off could adversely affect your future, particularly so with the old leftover nineteen thirties sergeants of the time. Its a wrong if you do, the men will hate you and if you don't the bosses will hate you. It may be harsh but I honestly and firmly believe that the chief and his senior officers should be removed. They were in charge of the ship when it sunk, and in tradition you go down with it. This situation has so much blame, so few answers and one life lost and many lives will be ruined by the obvious required changes. just another example of a bad decision that could have ended different with a policeman showing how tough he was to a bl ack man and two rookies and walking away with his reputation bolstered. Instead the black man is dead, the two rookies definitely have no police future, and the cop is not tough he is an accused with the possibility of a long difficult jail term