Frozen Fish - Supermarket

Greedy Jambo

Greedy Jambo

Can anyone recommend some decent frozen fish? 

I'm trying to fill the freezer with reasonably healthy stuff but anytime i buy frozen fish they're minging. 

Mad Dog Logan

Iceland's own brand cod fillets in breadcrumbs are decent, tastes and looks like fish compared to some other frozen fish.

Jambo-Jimbo

Marks & Spencer Fish is always good, fresh or frozen, you pay for it, but you get what you pay for.

We often buy fresh and freeze them, the last lot was breaded haddock £6 for 4 fillets, decent thickness and tasted like proper haddock, as you know some brands are not good, but we've never been disappointed by M&S.

Greedy Jambo
30 minutes ago, Mad Dog Logan said:

Iceland's own brand cod fillets in breadcrumbs are decent, tastes and looks like fish compared to some other frozen fish.

Noted. 

That's the problem i keep coming up against, "chip shop style fish" absolutely bugger all like a fish from the chip shop, it's barely even a fish, looks like it's been put together by a toddler. Processed muck. 

Auld Reekin'

When freezing fish, or buying frozen fish, I've always found that the slightly more "oily" ones like salmon, sea-bass and sea-bream freeze better than the likes of cod or haddock.

1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

I'm trying to fill the freezer with reasonably healthy stuff but anytime i buy frozen fish they're minging. 

Just stick with pot noodles.🤣

Greedy Jambo
19 minutes ago, obua said:

Just stick with pot noodles.🤣

That was really funny. How about you stick a pot noodle right up your arse. 

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

That was really funny. How about you stick a pot noodle right up your arse. 

Do I add boiling water before or after.

Greedy Jambo
Just now, obua said:

Your patter is horrendous. 

Angel eyes

No sure if he appears over here but over the page we’ve a pet gimp fae  aiberdeen sure he could tell you all about fish?

34 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

You are so weird. 

Wow, Space Pirate thinks I’m weird.

I think that’s a compliment.

Samuel Camazzola

I've found basa to be quite tasty after cooking it from frozen. Tried a couple of frozen efforts from Aldi and Morrisons and can vouch for a taste of them. Worked quite well with the wee microwavable steam pouches of rice and veg. 

1 hour ago, obua said:

Boiling water first. Then fold your scants back over, leave for two minutes before taking your scants off completely and squirting soy sauce up there. 

46 minutes ago, obua said:

Wow, Space Pirate thinks I’m weird.

I think that’s a compliment.

It’s also jealousy, on his part.

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It’s also jealousy, on his part.

Oh here he comes, talking pish again. Jealous of what exactly? Another weirdo ^^

LIDL, regularly buy the salmon fillets but all their frozen fish is decent

(fillets that is. tend not to buy battered/breaded stuff)

Edited by Alan_R

AlimOzturk

Yes, Lidl stuff is decent. Buy frozen cod, let it defrost and it batters up nicely. 

Harry Potter
15 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

We get the fish van from fife, (Pittenweem) arrives about 10 am on a Tuesday but he now comes at 11am to to big sales.

Not the answer you wanted but you cant beat fresh fish.

highlandjambo3
16 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

I find that some of the best fish deals at the big supermarkets are whole fresh fish that’s about to expire from the display.  People like the fish prepared, filleted etc by the fishmonger but not so keen on the whole fish, head, eyes looking at you.  Tbh I think most people are not to confident in preparing a whole fish and the supermarket takes a wee bit of a hit with the display at the expense of it looking good.  So, go to the cheap bit just before closing time and see what’s there.

Iceland Food Warehouse for me when it comes to frozen fish and seafood. As suggested already, I'm quite partial to Basa 👍

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Iceland Food Warehouse for me when it comes to frozen fish and seafood. As suggested already, I'm quite partial to Basa 👍

Heard that about you..........just saying like

1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Heard that about you..........just saying like

😭😭 Cheers.

Nice fish though.

5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Fishmongers then freeze it ? 

Stop it.

That’s far too logical and sensible.

Greedy Jambo
16 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Fishmongers then freeze it ? 

Waste of a fresh fish. 

You usually pay a bit more for decent stuff so i wouldn't want to fling it in the freezer. 

I've been to lidl and bought 3 different kinds of oven jobs. I'll see how i get on with those. 

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Waste of a fresh fish. 

You usually pay a bit more for decent stuff so i wouldn't want to fling it in the freezer. 

I've been to lidl and bought 3 different kinds of oven jobs. I'll see how i get on with those. 

Go to the fishmonger when you fancy having fish then 🤷‍♂️

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Go to the fishmonger when you fancy having fish then 🤷‍♂️

Ha. I don't fancy jumping in the car everytime i want a fish, but i take your point. 

Morrison's fish counter is cheaper. 

1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

Ha. I don't fancy jumping in the car everytime i want a fish, but i take your point. 

Morrison's fish counter is cheaper. 

There you go then, pick up fresh fish from Morrison’s when you’re in 👍

16 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

There you go then, pick up fresh fish from Morrison’s when you’re in 👍

Glad that’s sorted, then.  :thumb:

Greedy Jambo

^^ How annoying is this guy,  trying to stay relevant while having absolutely nothing worthwhile to contribute. 

Harry Potter
6 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

^^ How annoying is this guy,  trying to stay relevant while having absolutely nothing worthwhile to contribute. 

TBF its a thread about frozen fish, hardly a rocket science kind of subject.^_^.

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

TBF its a thread about frozen fish, hardly a rocket science kind of subject.^_^.

Exactly, so why is it so hard to stay on topic? 

I'd rather get recommendations from people on here than go round every supermarket buying every kind of fish they have. 

I don't even know why i have to explain that to you, It's not rocket science after all. 

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

Exactly, so why is it so hard to stay on topic? 

I'd rather get recommendations from people on here than go round every supermarket buying every kind of fish they have. 

I don't even know why i have to explain that to you, It's not rocket science after all. 

Fair enough, you never thought about fresh fish, or is it better that its frozen for your convenience.

Our van from fife is making a wee fortune just now, with more people off buying his fish.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Fair enough, you never thought about fresh fish, or is it better that its frozen for your convenience.

Our van from fife is making a wee fortune just now, with more people off buying his fish.

I obviously prefer fresh fish but i had an online shop on the go at the time and wanted to stock my freezer up with reasonably healthy stuff. 

I've been to a fish van before and ended up paying double for worse haddock than Morrison's fish counter have. 

Edited by Space Pirate

Harry Potter
Just now, Space Pirate said:

I obviously prefer fresh fish but i had an online shop on the go at the time and wanted to stock my freezer up with reasonably healthy stuff. 

Ok bud..

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Ok bud..

This shit's starting to get tiring 😂