Irvine Welsh on sectarianism......

Section Q

I agree he's a bawbag..... But by comparing Celtic to his beloved Hibs, and Rangers to Partick, (quite deliberately), his implication imo is we're like the arsenal cheeks. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• WorldChampions1902

• TheBigO

• Hearts007

bajthejambo
5 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Where Rearend was a regular visitor.

Welsh also used to pop into the Morrison & Gibb Social Club at Canonmills with his lovely American wife. God knows what she thought of that! 

Riordan never set foot in Smithies.

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

I agree he's a bawbag..... But by comparing Celtic to his beloved Hibs, and Rangers to Partick, (quite deliberately), his implication imo is we're like the arsenal cheeks. 

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

Yup, which is wrong but the real point of his is that THE OF monetised bigotry, which they did.

The sly dig. Well, he's a bawbag!!

I just agree with his point re the 2 clubs I think ruin our game.

WorldChampions1902
Just now, bajthejambo said:

You’re wrong.

And before you come back, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

bajthejambo
2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

You’re wrong.

And before you come back, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

🤣 Not in 13 years anyway. I'll leave it at that.

WorldChampions1902
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Is that the wee club opposite the Northern Bar/Orchard ? 

You are thinking of where the old print works were. The club is actually down the basement right opposite the old Taylor’s bakery near the  Esso garage.

Montgomery Brewster
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Is that the wee club opposite the Northern Bar/Orchard 

Edited by Montgomery Brewster

3 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

You are thinking of where the old print works were. The club is actually down the basement right opposite the old Taylor’s bakery near the  Esso garage.

Never even knew there was a club there tbh. 

Edited by GinRummy

WorldChampions1902
Just now, GinRummy said:

Never even new there was a club there tbh. 

Not been in for a few years as I live in England but it was long-established, going back many decades. I have many fond memories of the place and it’s members.

Just now, WorldChampions1902 said:

Not been in for a few years as I live in England but it was long-established, going back many decades. I have many fond memories of the place and it’s members.

I lived in powderhall then boat green. Must’ve passed it loads of times. I’m not the most observant tbf. 

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

Me too. They've not been allowed in for a long time now though.

Was about to post that smithies is owned by good Jambos and there’ll be none of that shite now. Forgot your handle on here till I seen this😉hope yous are all good mate💪🏼👌🏼

WorldChampions1902
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I lived in powderhall then boat green. Must’ve passed it loads of times. I’m not the most observant tbf. 

Lived in Eyre Place before moving up Inverleith Row to Warriston. Grew up in that whole area, and know it very well! It’s easy to miss and I didn’t even know it was there till I started bevvying. I think it used to be a Pigeon Fanciers club before M&G’s got it. And Smithies was a Scooter shop ( Lambrettas / Vespas) followed by a YachtIng equipment shop long before the building was redeveloped into a pub.

23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, which is wrong but the real point of his is that THE OF monetised bigotry, which they did.

The sly dig. Well, he's a bawbag!!

I just agree with his point re the 2 clubs I think ruin our game.

Just me being pedantic mate.....👍

kawasakijambo

Billy and Elma? At the M & G.

Edited by kawasakijambo

2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Lived in Eyre Place before moving up Inverleith Row to Warriston. Grew up in that whole area, and know it very well! It’s easy to miss and I didn’t even know it was there till I started bevvying. I think it used to be a Pigeon Fanciers club before M&G’s got it. And Smithies was a Scooter shop ( Lambrettas / Vespas) followed by a YachtIng equipment shop long before the building was redeveloped into a pub.

Interesting about Smithies, never knew that. Great living round that way if you liked a drink. You’re probably aware Stags Head and MacLachlans have gone upmarket nowadays. Renamed and foodie type pubs. Even the Phoenix up the road is called something else and more food orientated. Traditional pubs are changing or closing altogether. The whole coronavirus thing will be another nail in the coffin. 

33 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

MacLachlans was where he was a few times. At least that’s where I seen him. Came in for karaoke on a Saturday with his wee gang when a boy called Scott from Haddington ran it. 

Edited by GinRummy

7 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Just me being pedantic mate.....👍

There should be a comma after "pedantic".

upgotheheads

I don't think H1b5 can be compared in any way to Celtic when it comes to sectarianism. And to be honest I don't think Celtic can be compared to Sevco on the same basis. There is only one club in Scotland who can honestly be said to be pandering to bigots as the main part of their culture, maybe I should say Kulyur.

22 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wasn't there a pub called the Hare o the dog..down that way?

5 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Wasn't there a pub called the Hare o the dog..down that way?

There’s a pub called the hair of the dog right now that used to be the powderhall arms then the blind beggar. Was in it a few months ago before a 50th at the taxi club. It’s along Broughton road. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

There’s a pub called the hair of the dog right now that used to be the powderhall arms then the blind beggar. Was on it a few months ago before a 50th at the taxi club. 

just up from garage on right hand side at the lights?

1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

just up from garage on right hand side at the lights?

I only knew that pub as MacLachlans but it’s changed name a couple of times since then. I’m not in that area too much now so might well have been called that at some point. 

bajthejambo
23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Was about to post that smithies is owned by good Jambos and there’ll be none of that shite now. Forgot your handle on here till I seen this😉hope yous are all good mate💪🏼👌🏼

We're doing fine man. Same to yourself. Be a long time before we get another Bongo bus unfortunately!

Just now, GinRummy said:

I only knew that pub as MacLachlans but it’s changed name a couple of times since then. I’m not in that area too much now so might well have been called that at some point. 

this is pub that used to be one am talking about

224.jpg.6d1782939fa1c3967336187cbf732162.jpg

bajthejambo
17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

MacLachlans was where he was a few times. At least that’s where I seen him. Came in for karaoke on a Saturday with his wee gang. 

That was where he went. Police car permanently parked outside on a Saturday night. That karaoke was a mecca for gadgies! 

WorldChampions1902
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Interesting about Smithies, never knew that. Great living round that way if you liked a drink. You’re probably aware Stags Head and MacLachlans have gone upmarket nowadays. Renamed and foodie type pubs. Even the Phoenix up the road is called something else and more food orientated. Traditional pubs are changing or closing altogether. The whole coronavirus thing will be another nail in the coffin. 

Used to go into the Stags Head with my Dad when I went up to visit. It was a real spit’n sawdust pub but great beer. It’s a shame that so many pubs are losing their identity and yes, COVID is sadly going to kill a few of these small places.

When I was growing up in Eyre Place,  the Navy Club across the road was well frequented as was the Old Coach Inn on the corner at the traffic lights. It was run by Peter Marinellos dad - PM that played for Hibs at the time and then Arsenal (long before he finished his days with us). The pub opposite the old print works was called the Northern Bar BTW.

Marinello lived down Logie Green Rd in one of the prefab-style terraced houses on the left (in the cul de sac) just after the church hall. A couple of doors away lived John Hagart!

WorldChampions1902
1 minute ago, bajthejambo said:

That was where he went. Police car permanently parked outside on a Saturday night. That karaoke was a mecca for gadgies! 

I knew it as “The Old Coach Inn” ( see above).

Just now, Hearts007 said:

this is pub that used to be one am talking about

224.jpg.6d1782939fa1c3967336187cbf732162.jpg

as image.jpeg.a91352415781269b606f31eabe23a1ce.jpeg

I knew the pub you posted as MacLachlans. The pub above is now called Hare of the Dog. Maybe the owners moved along the road. 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

We're doing fine man. Same to yourself. Be a long time before we get another Bongo bus unfortunately!

I know mate....

:sob:

WorldChampions1902
25 minutes ago, kawasakijambo said:

Billy and Elma? At the M & G.

Blooming heck........that was a long time ago. Swan?

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I knew the pub you posted as MacLachlans. The pub above is now called Hare of the Dog. Maybe the owners moved along the road

nope it was called hare o the dog 20 odd years ago owners long since died

6 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Used to go into the Stags Head with my Dad when I went up to visit. It was a real spit’n sawdust pub but great beer. It’s a shame that so many pubs are losing their identity and yes, COVID is sadly going to kill a few of these small places.

When I was growing up in Eyre Place,  the Navy Club across the road was well frequented as was the Old Coach Inn on the corner at the traffic lights. It was run by Peter Marinellos dad - PM that played for Hibs at the time and then Arsenal (long before he finished his days with us). The pub opposite the old print works was called the Northern Bar BTW.

Marinello lived down Logie Green Rd in one of the prefab-style terraced houses on the left (in the cul de sac) just after the church hall. A couple of doors away lived John Hagart!

Interesting info cheers. A pal of mine lives in Logie Green Road, never knew it had famous ex residents. 

Edited by GinRummy

nope it was called hare o the dog 20 odd years ago owners long since died

got you. I’d assumed it was more recent. Interesting somebody chose to revive the name just along the road. 

interestingly that garage down there used to be a pub and flats..

0_street_views_-_canon_mills_7-21_tenements_and_bar_560.jpg.6a801532970412a8b1209120aa2085cf.jpg better get back on topic anyway

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

got you. I’d assumed it was more recent. Interesting somebody chose to revive the name just along the road. 

the old pub was all old greyhound stuff in it

Edited by Hearts007

WorldChampions1902

interestingly that garage down there used to be a pub and flats..

0_street_views_-_canon_mills_7-21_tenements_and_bar_560.jpg.6a801532970412a8b1209120aa2085cf.jpg better get back on topic anyway

Brilliant photo! 

6 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

the old pub was all old greyhound stuff in it

Never clicked with the name. Dog track was already gone when I moved there. 👍

Great photo. 

Edited by GinRummy

6 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Brilliant photo! 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Never clicked with the name. Dog track was already gone when I moved there. 👍

Great photo. 

:thumbsup:

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Only two clubs in Scotland have in the past signed players from a specific religion to suit their clubs agenda .

Did he mention that , I’ve no intention of clicking on that rags link ( sorry Section Q ) . 

It’s not really mentioned in public but check the signing history this century of a club not far away, then work out what the vast majority have in common and you will see it’s not just two. 

3fingersreid
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not really mentioned in public but check the signing history this century of a club not far away, then work out what the vast majority have in common and you will see it’s not just two. 

The two I was implying were rangers and the original team called hibernians ( both now defunct) , not sure when celtic we’re founded they had a catholic’s only policy although the team was founded by the RC church . I am prepared to be corrected on that though . 

80091027-7213-47CE-88E8-A52258DC78C3.jpeg

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, bajthejambo said:

Never out mclachlans along the street though, Smithies though ,at weekends 

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I knew the pub you posted as MacLachlans. The pub above is now called Hare of the Dog. Maybe the owners moved along the road. 

old blind beggar, pure white elephant of a pub , never a soul in the place   so I've been told ....no matter a

Who takes it on ?      Nothing in the area now , is maybe why ?

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

The two I was implying were rangers and the original team called hibernians ( both now defunct) , not sure when celtic we’re founded they had a catholic’s only policy although the team was founded by the RC church . I am prepared to be corrected on that though . 

80091027-7213-47CE-88E8-A52258DC78C3.jpeg

I see, well that certainly hasn’t changed much this century with players and managers in this city anyway.

54 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

old blind beggar, pure white elephant of a pub , never a soul in the place   so I've been told ....no matter a

Who takes it on ?      Nothing in the area now , is maybe why ?

A pal of mine, Don Fleming RIP managed it for a wee while (guessing about 6 months) said the same as you. 

Just now, WorldChampions1902 said:

Me to i was there on opening day many moons ago when i worked in M&gees went straight there after a night shift for opening at eleven found asleep below the clock at Cannonmills  later on in the day i miss being a young arse lol.

Just now, GinRummy said:

Interesting info cheers. A pal of mine lives in Logie Green Road, never knew it had famous ex residents. 

I worked in Morrison and Gibb 78/81 all these places were well visited watering holes of the time especially the Northern Bar straight across the road pie and beans and a pint at lunchtime in the Stags heed 50p happy days

WorldChampions1902
9 minutes ago, andi17 said:

Me to i was there on opening day many moons ago when i worked in M&gees went straight there after a night shift for opening at eleven found asleep below the clock at Cannonmills  later on in the day i miss being a young arse lol.

LOL!  You were lucky not to be lifted by the polis that frequently visited the Police Box opposite! So are you saying you went into the club on its first day of opening? When was that? I’ve a feeling it stopped being a Doo’s club mid 70’s.

Hectormasson
18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

A pal of mine, Don Fleming RIP managed it for a wee while (guessing about 6 months) said the same as you. 

Knew don pretty well, nice guy and was very sad to hear he passed   decent man rip.

Just now, Hectormasson said:

Knew don pretty well, nice guy and was very sad to hear he passed   decent man rip.

👍

I support anyone who speaks out against sectarianism.  I am amused however that he aligned Celtic with hibs.  He had to do that bacause hibs is the only other sectarian club in Scotland.  Their name confirms that.

He is wrong about financial penalties being needed to stamp it out.  Points deductions and expulsion from competitions are what's required.