Youth Cup Wins

Elfideldo

Could anyone post the Hearts Youth Cup winning squads. Starting lineups and subs if possible.

Thanks In Advance

I was at a few of the Youth Cup ties that season.

A 2-1 win at Tynecastle v. Kilmarnock in an early round.

Then, a long journey down to Ayr after work for what, I think, was the semi final. We were 0-4 ahead inside the opening 10 minutes and won 0-6. Incredible Hearts support at Somerset for a midweek youth game. Incredible, too, if the main stand at Ayr is still upright. We got lost in the bowels of it trying to swap ends at half time and it really was falling to bits. Much worse state than our old main was ever in. 

The final was well attended by Jambos too. 5k+ at Ibrox that night and we must have made up at least half. We won quite easily and even missed a penalty. 

Things turned a bit grim for Hearts as '92/93 wore on but the success of the youth side, and their succesful appearances in the first team, certainly were a much needed boost. 

I think my mum got the shock of her life when she opened the phone bill after all the calls I made to Clubcall for updates of that win over Rangers 🤣

38 minutes ago, Andy Black said:

1993-04-29_BP_YOUTH-005.jpg

Ritchie still looks the same minus the hair :lol: 

Edited by Last Laff

Weakened Offender

Was at three of these, 3-1 win at Ibrox, 5-3 (I think) at Hampden and the 2-0 win at Tynecastle before the 1998 Cup Final. Fond memories. 👍

Footballfirst

Hearts also had a great run in the Milk Cup in 1991, drawing with Manchester Utd in the prelimiaries, before losing to them in the final.

Some well known faces in the Man Utd team

2sUNaQS.jpg

ybuMG4v.jpg

eyIPdXf.jpg

One of the Hearts players in the squad, Paul Cooper, wrote about his experience.  NB the names in the Man Utd squad

Reflections on the Milk Cup
by Paul Cooper, Hearts 1991

I think my dad still has some pictures of me standing in the Hearts line up before the 1991 final against Man Utd which we lost 2-0. He also still has some cuttings from the local newspapers which I remember had a preview of the final and match reports from our semi final win against Dynamo Kiev, which mentioned me as I scored two goals in that semi.

I remember the event as one the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had. My overwhelming memory is of how well run and professional the event was, from the opening ceremony right through to the final. The first goal I scored in the semi final was probably the best goal I have ever scored, a thirty yarder into the top corner to make the game 2-2 and I then scored a penalty near the end to give us a 3-2 win.

The bus journey back to our wee hotel in Portrush was brilliant and if I remember correctly the most of the singing was started by the local bus driver who was really enjoying himself. I think we ran out of steam a wee bit in the final and Man Utd ran out worthy 2 nil winners.

I thought I was quite quick in those days(people who know me can stop laughing now thanks) but I remember Keith Gillespie giving me a five yard start and knocking the ball past me and beating me to it by another five yards. That was a real eye opener for me, although I must say in the two games we played against them that year he was the stand out player which isn't bad considering they also had Beckham, Butt, Scholes, Neville and Robbie Savage to name a few.

We had a good side at Hearts that year too and although I moved on and my footballing career didn't work out the way I hoped a few of our team later featured in the Hearts first team, including Paul Ritchie, Alan McManus, Kevin Thomas and Gary Locke.

The other memories I have from my time at the Milk Cup include being forced by our sadistic physio to jog waist high in the sea at Portrush while the DJ from the Radio 1 stage shouted abuse down at us for being so daft. It was freezing cold but to be fair I think it helped the niggling injury I had.

I also remember playing snooker with my wee mate at the time Craig Allison during the afternoons after training(I’m sure I was up by about five frames by the end of the week) and of course I also remember Kellys nightclub - funnily enough I never bumped into David Beckham or Paul Scholes in there. The local people were absolutely brilliant and the folk who worked in our hotel were really friendly and looked after us well. I think this along with the fact that the tournament was so well run by people who obviously had a passion for football is what makes the Milk Cup so successful and so enjoyable for those taking part.

I am now a Police officer in Strathclyde and I am married with a son Cameron who, in years to come I will no doubt bore to tears with my exaggerated tales of past glory but I would be a very happy man if I was able to return some day to watch him take part in the Milk Cup. Thanks for the memories and good luck for the future success of a magnificent event.

Manchester United Squad : Pollock, Gary Neville, John O'Kane, Colin Murdock, Steven Riley, Keith Gillespie, David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Joe Roberts, Robbie Savage, Ben Thornley, Paul Scholes, Mark Rawlinson, K. Brown

Edited by Footballfirst

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 27/05/2020 at 18:34, martoon said:

I was at a few of the Youth Cup ties that season.

A 2-1 win at Tynecastle v. Kilmarnock in an early round.

Then, a long journey down to Ayr after work for what, I think, was the semi final. We were 0-4 ahead inside the opening 10 minutes and won 0-6. Incredible Hearts support at Somerset for a midweek youth game. Incredible, too, if the main stand at Ayr is still upright. We got lost in the bowels of it trying to swap ends at half time and it really was falling to bits. Much worse state than our old main was ever in. 

The final was well attended by Jambos too. 5k+ at Ibrox that night and we must have made up at least half. We won quite easily and even missed a penalty. 

Things turned a bit grim for Hearts as '92/93 wore on but the success of the youth side, and their succesful appearances in the first team, certainly were a much needed boost. 

Was the semifinal not at Montrose. 

Went to see them that season at Montrose, not sure which round. 

Oddly a few months later I played the same Montrose youth team drew 1 1

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Was the semifinal not at Montrose. 

Went to see them that season at Montrose, not sure which round. 

Oddly a few months later I played the same Montrose youth team drew 1 1

Aye. Turns out Somerset Park was the QF. Montrose was the SF, apparently, but I wasn't there. 

Edited by martoon