SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Just now, Hackney Hearts said:

It really isn't.

Firstly, it was over 2 months ago, when the latest very strict measures had not come into force.

More importantly, Scotland had to travel to Serbia for a crucial football match - not a completely optional jolly.

On top of which, the players had obviously mixed thoroughly through travel, training, 120 minutes of football, high pressure penalties and subsequent on-field celebrations. Adding a conga at the end of all that was unlikely to make a whole lot of difference.

The whole social distancing thing for a highly physical contact professional sport is nonsense and not required.  I agree the after match party wouldn’t really matter to the team but what about those serving the food and drink indoors.

The celebration broke what is allowed and was hailed as ok... to me that’s just an inconsistent application and not consistent with hard line approach of political parties and media. 

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

9 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

It really isn't.

Firstly, it was over 2 months ago, when the latest very strict measures had not come into force.

More importantly, Scotland had to travel to Serbia for a crucial football match - not a completely optional jolly.

On top of which, the players had obviously mixed thoroughly through travel, training, 120 minutes of football, high pressure penalties and subsequent on-field celebrations. Adding a conga at the end of all that was unlikely to make a whole lot of difference.

During the penalties were the players not standing in the centre circle with arms linked?

In that Conga were Christie, Griffiths, and MacGregor.

Which team do they ply their trade with?

Hackney Hearts
5 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

what about those serving the food and drink indoors

I don't know about them - were they part of the conga? Or were they keeping 2 metres distance? (or whatever the rules were in Serbia at the time) Or did Scotland staff collect food/drink? I've really no idea.

The main point is, Scotland travelled on business, Celtic were on holiday.

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

During the penalties were the players not standing in the centre circle with arms linked?

Jostling and pushing at corners kicks and set pieces with 16-20 men in close contact. Fine - part of the game.

Standing together for a national anthem at the start and penalties at the end . Not entirely necessary but probably okay given the other necessities of being close together at times.

Congregating for goal celebration. A bit silly and unnecessary but understandable and still being done by Arsenal last night.

Having a Conga at a boozy after match party. Stupid, preventable, unnecessary and blatantly against the rules.

However the fact that Lennon  brought this up as some kind of pathetic whataboutery excuse for his players and his clubs conduct in the last 3 weeks is a shocker, especially as four of his players were involved in said Conga.

Edited by JimmyCant

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Jostling and pushing at corners kicks and set pieces with 16-20 men in close contact. Fine - part of the game.

Standing together for a national anthem at the start and penalties at the end . Not entirely necessary but probably okay given the other necessities of being close together at times.

Congregating for goal celebration. A bit silly and unnecessary but understandable and still being done by Arsenal last night.

Having a Conga at a boozy after match party. Stupid, preventable, unnecessary and blatantly against the rules.

However the fact that Lennon  brought this up as some kind of pathetic whataboutery excuse for his players and his clubs conduct in the last 3 weeks is a shocker, especially as four of his players were involved in said Conga.

I've moved on bud. Try to keep up. 

Just now, Hackney Hearts said:

I don't know about them - were they part of the conga? Or were they keeping 2 metres distance? (or whatever the rules were in Serbia at the time) Or did Scotland staff collect food/drink? I've really no idea.

Not true. Both business trips. 
One essential, one non essential which could have been done at home and without the preferential treatment Celtic have been so used too (we’ve seen this before with glamour trips and bumping league games). Says all about the have and have nots in football and how much out of touch Celtic are. We 

On the subject of the celebratory party for qualifying and the other sunning by the pool with a beer.
If honest, neither are meeting the rules or the spirit of them, one got praise the other got hammered. 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

It doesn’t matter what the rules are in the place you travel to, you maintain the restrictions in your bubble. As you said though they were there on business not pleasure. 

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

One essential, one non essential

:lol:

A non-essential business trip, particularly in these times, is a holiday.

1 minute ago, Hackney Hearts said:

:lol:

A non-essential business trip, particularly in these times, is a holiday.

I’m only calling it Non essential as it was agreed with the relevant authorities and was a training camp... I’m sure the players were keen, so they could bond with team mates and the female reality stars that may well have been at the resort.  
Whilst within the rules, it was a poor poor decision. It shows how out of touch they are with the fans and has done them no favours.

16 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

During the match or in general?

16 hours ago, Barack said:

Did Duffy lick anyone's face?

Worrying if so.

He only licks windows

57 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

It really isn't.

Two months ago or not it was incorrect. Thats the only bit of his rant that was even sightly balanced. In saying that were there not Celtic players involved in that conga. Also and more importantly the Scotland Squad werent in a pub mixing with the general public

47 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Have the Celtic players been disciplined by Celtic?

31 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

One essential, one non essential which could have been done at home and without the preferential treatment Celtic have been so used too (we’ve seen this before with glamour trips and bumping league games). Says all about the have and have nots in football and how much out of touch Celtic are. We 

On the subject of the celebratory party for qualifying and the other sunning by the pool with a beer.
If honest, neither are meeting the rules or the spirit of them, one got praise the other got hammered. 

But the non-essential one  had members of the public in the same hotel pool and lounge bars. The conga was in a private bar.

55 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Celtic''s defence would have a major problem maintaining shape, co-ordination & concentration to perform a half-way competent conga💃

6 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

I’m only calling it Non essential as it was agreed with the relevant authorities and was a training camp... I’m sure the players were keen, so they could bond with team mates and the female reality stars that may well have been at the resort.  
Whilst within the rules, it was a poor poor decision. It shows how out of touch they are with the fans and has done them no favours.

It isn't the fact celtic went on this jolly. It was agreed in November by the SPFL so the complaints should be aimed at them for allowing it...however it was different times then so probably reasonable to sanction it.

However: the jolly was arranged at the cost of a game v hibs who had to adjust their schedule without prior discussion.

The complete lack of contrition shown by Celtic Football Club has been, typically, appalling. A stream of "sorry, not sorry" statements to placate their fans but with zero thought to other clubs who are concerned at the real possibility the league may be suspended

Lies regarding the dressing rooms at St Johnstone

Whataboutery concerning a trip made in November at a time when pubs were open and there were even fans in stadiums that very week in Dingwall

Banning Sky Sports because someone (an ex-player, no less) had the balls to call them out on it

It even put their own players and officials and therefore their families at greater risk than necessary. That's morally wrong.

And you know what? Had this been, say, Motherwell then we could have complained and assessed the situation in isolation, but this is a club that has routinely taken the piss for decades and has a charge sheet as long as the Clyde against them.

And the most frustrating thing yet? They will continue to be defended by the SFA and SPFL and nobody will stand up to them because they fear for their homes and safety.

Hagar the Horrible

So what happened to maxwell, maxy, maximo, maxmeister, Big max, maxmax's email to get the Championship stopped as was close of play yesterday?

5 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

So what happened to maxwell, maxy, maximo, maxmeister, Big max, maxmax's email to get the Championship stopped as was close of play yesterday?

Mad-max has left the building with his tail between his legs. Sweet FA  on SFA.com

7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

He is huddled up in the corner crying it didn't work Peter will be so disappointed in me

9 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Mad-max has left the building with his tail between his legs. Sweet FA  on SFA.com

It’s disgusting that a clown like him and Dungcaster are in positions of power.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

Was the trip badly timed and inappropriate, yes. 

This is all that needs to be said, and that's putting it too nicely. It's nothing to do wth being footballers. If construction workers were in the papers every day and jetting off to Dubai with their companies for a jolly, they'd get the same flak when they do something silly like this. If anything, football as an industry has been given a much easier ride by the politicians.

Edited by ToqueJambo

33 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Maybe still waiting on Dundee's email? Presume no news is good news.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, jambomjm74 said:

A non-essential trip that cost over 250k at a time when their chairman is claiming Celtic have been the hardest hit club financially during COVID. There's no justification for it at all. I'm guessing Lennon pushed for it, arguing it's the only way to save the season, and Lawwell is probably regretting letting it happen now.

I also think they know their only hope of 10 in a row is the season being called early when Celtic have so many games in hand so it's null and voided instead of titles awarded. So any disruption to the season benefits them and their dream scenario is probably the government calling the season off after losing patience with clubs breaking rules.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Corstorphine Jambo
6 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Maybe still waiting on Dundee's email? Presume no news is good news.

Bravo 😂😂

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I thought the Conga took place in the dressing room post match?

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

It isn't the fact celtic went on this jolly. It was agreed in November by the SPFL so the complaints should be aimed at them for allowing it...however it was different times then so probably reasonable to sanction it.

However: the jolly was arranged at the cost of a game v hibs who had to adjust their schedule without prior discussion.

The complete lack of contrition shown by Celtic Football Club has been, typically, appalling. A stream of "sorry, not sorry" statements to placate their fans but with zero thought to other clubs who are concerned at the real possibility the league may be suspended

Lies regarding the dressing rooms at St Johnstone

Whataboutery concerning a trip made in November at a time when pubs were open and there were even fans in stadiums that very week in Dingwall

Banning Sky Sports because someone (an ex-player, no less) had the balls to call them out on it

It even put their own players and officials and therefore their families at greater risk than necessary. That's morally wrong.

And you know what? Had this been, say, Motherwell then we could have complained and assessed the situation in isolation, but this is a club that has routinely taken the piss for decades and has a charge sheet as long as the Clyde against them.

And the most frustrating thing yet? They will continue to be defended by the SFA and SPFL and nobody will stand up to them because they fear for their homes and safety.

Top post, Nookie.

34 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A non-essential trip that cost over 250k at a time when their chairman is claiming Celtic have been the hardest hit club financially during COVID. There's no justification for it at all. I'm guessing Lennon pushed for it, arguing it's the only way to save the season, and Lawwell is probably regretting letting it happen now.

I also think they know their only hope of 10 in a row is the season being called early when Celtic have so many games in hand so it's null and voided instead of titles awarded. So any disruption to the season benefits them and their dream scenario is probably the government calling the season off after losing patience with clubs breaking rules.

Nothing would surprise you with that club and I'd be surprised if none of this was calculated.  They know what they are doing here.   

Watch them shout tainted title despite them being given the league last season.   

So enough about Celtic, and their arseholery (since there is a dedicated thread for that):

What's the script with the League?  They were so quick to ask and gave a stupidly short deadline, suggesting action was imminent.  Do we have any idea what clubs were planning on voting for, or if any of them actually wanted it suspended?

48 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I honestly think that is Celtics agenda now. 

To attempt to get this season null and voided. 

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

I also think that this is exactly what they are up to. 

5 minutes ago, tian447 said:

So enough about Celtic, and their arseholery (since there is a dedicated thread for that):

What's the script with the League?  They were so quick to ask and gave a stupidly short deadline, suggesting action was imminent.  Do we have any idea what clubs were planning on voting for, or if any of them actually wanted it suspended?

The indications from journalists over the weekend was that no Championship clubs wanted it suspended.

There was potentially sense in waiting until after the announcement by the First Minister today to ensure that Government weren't going to announce a major change. Now that lockdown has been extended as expected but no new restrictions have been put in place and the FM indicated reasons for cautious optimism there can be no case for postponing the Championship unless there is a groundswell of support from the clubs (even that I don't personally think should be enough but would be understandable). I'll be disappointed if the SFA don't confirm the decision to continue the league by close of business today.

4 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I cant wait to get home from work to listen to this. Think I'll make a big mug of tea, caramel wafer on the side and just relax listening to Neil.

Quite giddy at the thought of it.

Just listened to the podcast.

1408091422_tenor(2).gif.b52cc4724cb5b733ecf705abf4667371.gif

And not too proud to admit I think it was mildly arousing. 

Was never a big Tom English fan in the past. Have warmed to him over the years.

Now....when this pandemic is over I think I'll probably hug him before my mum.

37 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

What do they get out of that, exactly?

The only thing I can see is that benefits Celtic is the implosion of Scottish football because rangers would fight that all the way through the courts and then we lose TV money and all sorts of other penalties and sun-arguments throughout the leagues. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
43 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

That might have worked a few weeks back but not now. A null and void which suits Celtic would be a step too far even for the SPFL. Let Celtic toddle off the Dubai, **** things up and then declare the league void with Rangers 20 points clear. No chance. If anything, the SPFL are under more pressure than ever to let the league finish or to reach the point where they can go PPG. There’s no excuse they can find for siding with Celtic this time.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That might have worked a few weeks back but not now. A null and void which suits Celtic would be a step too far even for the SPFL. Let Celtic toddle off the Dubai, **** things up and then declare the league void with Rangers 20 points clear. No chance. If anything, the SPFL are under more pressure than ever to let the league finish or to reach the point where they can go PPG. There’s no excuse they can find for siding with Celtic this time.

You are probably right tbf, but I would put nothing past that mob to be honest. 

• Moderators

OK, if you want to specifically discuss Celtic’s trip to Dubai and the fallout can you do it on the other thread please. 

Thus thread is for the wider impacts of Covid on Scottish football in general. 

Ta. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Me neither usually but even Doncaster will be able to see that he’s got no choice here

jambo-in-furness
1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

We are all very aware that they will stop at nothing to try and put us in our place.  Be afraid  very afraid.  This has a way to run yet.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Terrorism eh

TheOnlyWayis51

I'll be furious if that's what they're trying to do. I want to see us pump every team in this stupid wee league and see us back where we should be, it's one of the few things we've got just now and if they take that away then I'll be fuming.

To compare their piss up in Dubai to players enjoying themselves after a competitive game is ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, TheOnlyWayis51 said:

I'll be furious if that's what they're trying to do. I want to see us pump every team in this stupid wee league and see us back where we should be, it's one of the few things we've got just now and if they take that away then I'll be fuming.

To compare their piss up in Dubai to players enjoying themselves after a competitive game is ridiculous.

I’ll be furious to 😡 

I

Clyde have placed players and 'certain football staff' on furlough at least until the end of this month, while the SFA suspension of football continues.

The Broadwood club says those involved in transfer movement will be placed on 'flexible furlough'.

They say the situation will be revisited at the next review stage.

The SFA this month imposed a suspension of all football below Championship level, which runs until at least January 31. 

Clyde said with all the uncertainty they had to what they felt was in the interests of the club.

A statement issued today read: "As a board, we are taking the necessary actions in the best interests of the club, in order to ensure that we get through this latest challenge.

More sport from across Lanarkshire

"We recognise that this lockdown is different to the previous one. In the spring and summer of 2020, the real concern and priority was for the club’s survival.

Show Player

"However, the generosity of supporters, the James Anderson monies and grants and additional support from the Government, including the furlough scheme, has significantly lessened those fears.

"Despite that, this second lockdown will have considerable impact on our short to medium term objectives; from the January transfer window to preparations for next season.

"Will the season finish? Will it be shortened? If it finishes will it affect the composition of the leagues and play-offs? If the suspension is lifted, when can competitive action commence? Those are just a few of the questions circulating at moment.

"There is no agreed route back to playing football and little certainty of what happens next."

Lower League Football Suspension

The club will provide players with training programmes to train individually, and added: "Off the pitch, we are working closely with our peers to ensure that League 1 and 2 clubs assess how best to address these current issues."

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

I

Clyde have placed players and 'certain football staff' on furlough at least until the end of this month, while the SFA suspension of football continues.

The Broadwood club says those involved in transfer movement will be placed on 'flexible furlough'.

They say the situation will be revisited at the next review stage.

The SFA this month imposed a suspension of all football below Championship level, which runs until at least January 31. 

Clyde said with all the uncertainty they had to what they felt was in the interests of the club.

A statement issued today read: "As a board, we are taking the necessary actions in the best interests of the club, in order to ensure that we get through this latest challenge.

More sport from across Lanarkshire

"We recognise that this lockdown is different to the previous one. In the spring and summer of 2020, the real concern and priority was for the club’s survival.

Show Player

"However, the generosity of supporters, the James Anderson monies and grants and additional support from the Government, including the furlough scheme, has significantly lessened those fears.

"Despite that, this second lockdown will have considerable impact on our short to medium term objectives; from the January transfer window to preparations for next season.

"Will the season finish? Will it be shortened? If it finishes will it affect the composition of the leagues and play-offs? If the suspension is lifted, when can competitive action commence? Those are just a few of the questions circulating at moment.

"There is no agreed route back to playing football and little certainty of what happens next."

Lower League Football Suspension

The club will provide players with training programmes to train individually, and added: "Off the pitch, we are working closely with our peers to ensure that League 1 and 2 clubs assess how best to address these current issues."

Hahahahaha, there’s your ****ing meficine 😆😂🤣

9 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Just wonder if the clubs had voted to give donkey power would the leagues be in danger of being called now to suit tic?

No. 

3 hours ago, tian447 said:

The question should never have been asked . This was never an issue . Maxwell should be booted out . Broadfoot trying to defend him on Sportsound was glorious . His 'colleagues' on the programme [English , Levein] were loving it

Jambof3tornado
19 minutes ago, john thomas said:

The question should never have been asked . This was never an issue . Maxwell should be booted out . Broadfoot trying to defend him on Sportsound was glorious . His 'colleagues' on the programme [English , Levein] were loving it

Maxwell comes out of this looking even more incompetent than before...not sure I thought that possible.

I can't see anyway that Liewells little puppets can swing this season into null and void. Rangers and their hordes would literally burn the shit show that is the SPFL and SFA to the ground, proper Russian WW2 Eastern Front Scorched Earth policy, and most likely ably supported by ourselves, Partick, Inverness and several others (this time round). All in my humble opinion of course. 

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )