Berra

kingantti1874

kingantti1874

I can’t see anything other than Stendel moving on and Robbo coming in.. 

think we will see big Christophe back and given he was pretty outstanding in the agricultural championship for Dundee I will he delighted . 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• kingantti1874

• Romulus

• Goodfella

Top Posters In This Topic

SwindonJambo

I don't want Robbo in as manager. His record in management is mixed at best. He's a legend and we all love him but I'd hate to see his legacy tarnished. If we do end up in the Championship as seems likely, then Berra could be a good shout.

David McCaig
Just now, rory78 said:

No thanks Berra's legs have gone watching him v Hibs just after Xmas was excruciating at best 

... and yet Championship Dundee thought he was their best signing for years.  1 goal conceded in 7 games!!

I think it was a mistake launching Berra because he was club captain, a popular guy, very professional and one of our own.

I thought Stendel should have dropped him and told him to win his place back but the way he dealt with it was wrong and i don't think it done him any favours tbh. 

Halkett was always the weakest link in defence. Which became even more obvious after Berra had left. 

I certainly wouldn't write Berra off. 

Edited by Cruyff

kingantti1874
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He’s completely gone

not at championship level imo, most team we face will be punting high balls and hoping for set pieces .. did fantastic for Dundee 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think it was a mistake launching Berra because he was club captain, a popular guy, very professional and one of our own.

I thought Stendel should have dropped him and told him to win his place back but the way he dealt with it was wrong and i don't think it done him any favours tbh. 

Halkett was always the weakest link in defence. Which became even more obvious after Berra had left. 

That's what Stendel wanted to do was it not? Then Berra spat the dummy out and said he'd train with the reserves instead if he wasn't starting. Ultimately that lead to him going out on loan as he wanted match time (and we wanted some of his wages covered).

Everyone was wanting Berra dropped and he should've been dropped under Levein. Sadly after injury he returned a weaker player and couldn't do it at the top flight anymore.

Section Q
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I certainly wouldn't write Berra off. 

Agree with this. Berry would have been a big positive influence in the dressing room even if he was only a squad player.

14 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

... and yet Championship Dundee thought he was their best signing for years.  1 goal conceded in 7 games!!

True but another year on he's going to be even slower than now 🤷‍♂️

Pasquale for King

Tim to get him off the wage bill and look to the future with other players.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Tim to get him off the wage bill and look to the future with other players.

Has a year left on his Hearts contract, how you planning on getting him off the wage bill? 

rudeskaboyuk

I can almost guarantee we will come up against plenty  older and slower CB's in the Championship that we will struggle to score against.

Hope we do get him back for one season.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Has a year left on his Hearts contract, how you planning on getting him off the wage bill? 

Depends on the contract and if he can leave with relegation, or clause 12 all them and let them leave. If there is no football behind closed doors with costs etc until next year it will need to be activated for all the players. Or pay him off. It can be done.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Depends on the contract and if he can leave with relegation, or clause 12 all them and let them leave. If there is no football behind closed doors with costs etc until next year it will need to be activated for all the players. Or pay him off. It can be done.

clause 12 is a suspension - not a cancelling of contract.  

If we pay him off it will be for his whole years salary so that’s pointless. 

Tokyo Drifter
45 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

think we will see big Christophe back and given he was pretty outstanding in the agricultural championship for Dundee I will he delighted . 

Said this til I'm maroon in the face, but if we'd just gone for Jack Ross in the first place we wouldn't be in this position.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

clause 12 is a suspension - not a cancelling of contract.  

If we pay him off it will be for his whole years salary so that’s pointless. 

Is it really I didn’t know that 🙈, using it and not paying the players until we start getting games with crowds can lead you to say to the players that they can leave if they wish to play with another team, Berra included. Sit and don’t get paid or go and find another club.

Diadora Van Basten
41 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

That should have been the end of the debate was made a scapegoat for our poor performance last year. Guaranteed he would have done better than Souttar did.

lost in space

He is a poor on-field captain. Does not encourage or orchestrate. Blames others (Dikamona, Hickey especially) for his frailties.

Not the brightest either (media interviews etc).

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

That should have been the end of the debate was made a scapegoat for our poor performance last year. Guaranteed he would have done better than Souttar did.

That’s not that high a bar to set, Dikamona looked like a world beater compared to him.

Jamhammer
50 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Agree with this. Berry would have been a big positive influence in the dressing room even if he was only a squad player.

Why wasn't he this big positive influence when he was here then? Along with our dreadful goalkeeper was costing us goals and games. The team looked lost. 

One of our own and was delighted when he came back and would run through a brick wall for us but anyone who watched him play could see him struggling, often wincing in pain. Not the same after his injury and I think he came back too soon.

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Why wasn't he this big positive influence when he was here then? Along with our dreadful goalkeeper was costing us goals and games. The team looked lost. 

One of our own and was delighted when he came back and would run through a brick wall for us but anyone who watched him play could see him struggling, often wincing in pain. Not the same after his injury and I think he came back too soon.

I think part of his resurgence at Dundee was down to having a months rest.

Jamhammer
4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I think part of his resurgence at Dundee was down to having a months rest.

Very probably mate. Was obviously toiling and that, combined with the way DS wanted to play and our gash goalkeepers was too much for him. If fully fit I wouldn’t be averse to him coming back

KyleLafferty

Massive difference in defending on the half way line and defending on your 18 yard box. That’s why he isn’t at Hearts anymore.

Agentjambo
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Why do you think stendel will move on?

Last Laff
1 hour ago, 22games nro said:

get him back, even if to only **** Dundee 

how would it **** Dundee? His loans finished regardless? 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

Why do you think stendel will move on?

had a relegation clause in his contract. Don’t think he will fancy a year in the championship .

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I agree Stendel will either invoke the clause to work at a higher level or Budge will to save money (he's on a massive wage for us).

This scenario would be terrific. Berra was clearly past it in the Premiership but will still stroll the Championship.

Hearts007

Hopefully Berra would find another club and tell Dundee to feck off if they still wanted him

22games nro
46 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

how would it **** Dundee? His loans finished regardless? 

fair enough didn’t realise.  Thought he was going back for next season .

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Mort said:

If we want to come back up first time of asking, we need better than Berra.

We really don't. It will be the weakest Championship possibly in recent history, both in terms of the teams and the fact that all the teams (including us but to a lesser degree because of our fanbase) will have been hit hard by covid-19. Every team there will just be happy to still be alive. Berra is tailor-made for it. His lack of pace won't be an issue.

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, Mort said:

If we want to come back up first time of asking, we need better than Berra.

disagree, he was the best defender in that division.. there isn’t a lot of pace down there .. 

Each to their own chaps. Personally I’d rather have someone else in that role that would be capable of making the step up if we go back up rather than reorganise the defence again. He would probably do okay but I think it’s time to move on from him after his last 12 months with us, cost us that many goals. We should be aiming to play decent stuff as well and I think I would self combust if I had to witness another season of Berra skelping the ball into no mans land.

Goodfella
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We really don't. It will be the weakest Championship possibly in recent history, both in terms of the teams and the fact that all the teams (including us but to a lesser degree because of our fanbase) will have been hit hard by covid-19. Every team there will just be happy to still be alive. Berra is tailor-made for it. His lack of pace won't be an issue.

This. Berra will be fine for Championship. Would be a nice way to book end his career at Hearts if we go up with him in and around the side. Considering how difficult it seem to be to get him a club in January, I doubt any other clubs will splash out on him, so may aswell make use of an experienced pro who by all accounts performed well at the level in his short time at Dundee. 

Tynecastlesmychurch

What’s he got left on his contract? One year? If so keep him on in a player coach role for the championship.

Last Laff
1 minute ago, Goodfella said:

This. Berra will be fine for Championship. Would be a nice way to book end his career at Hearts if we go up with him in and around the side. Considering how difficult it seem to be to get him a club in January, I doubt any other clubs will splash out on him, so may aswell make use of an experienced pro who by all accounts performed well at the level in his short time at Dundee. 

Not sure like, he’s more styled to industrial football.  Tap tap hoof wasn’t the way to romp it last time.  Saying that he will still be on a wage next season and I can’t see him leaving or a team affording him. 

Voiceofreasonfortheseason
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Check my posts mate, said this months ago. Wee Robbo is the outstanding candidate for us now.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Mort said:

Each to their own chaps. Personally I’d rather have someone else in that role that would be capable of making the step up if we go back up rather than reorganise the defence again. He would probably do okay but I think it’s time to move on from him after his last 12 months with us, cost us that many goals. We should be aiming to play decent stuff as well and I think I would self combust if I had to witness another season of Berra skelping the ball into no mans land.

Style of football is the last thing that's important right now. Putting out a winning team at that level is all that matters. Trying to complicate things by playing some sort of style of football, eg a pressing style unsuited to that league, will hamper that effort. Neilson has now shown twice how to win that league at a canter:

1. Recruit a better class of player in every position within your budget

2. Make them the fittest team in the league

3. Focus on possession football to tire out the other teams and create chances (Neilson was actually criticised by some Hearts fans for this)

4. Sign enough goalscorers to take those chances and take advantage of the generally very poor defenders and goalies at that level

Combined with a more footballing CB, Berra would be a big asset to combat the missiles being launched our way from the opposition.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Style of football is the last thing that's important right now. Putting out a winning team at that level is all that matters. Trying to complicate things by playing some sort of style of football, eg a pressing style unsuited to that league, will hamper that effort. Neilson has now shown twice how to win that league at a canter:

1. Recruit a better class of player in every position within your budget

2. Make them the fittest team I the league

3. Focus on possession football to tire out the other teams and create chances

4. Sign enough goalscorers to take those chances and take advantage of the generally very poor defenders and goalies at that level

Sorry to be pedantic but you’ve said style of football is the last thing that’s important then listed possession football below as a success story. Berra isn’t suited to possesion football I’m afraid. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Mort said:

Sorry to be pedantic but you’ve said style of football is the last thing that’s important then listed possession football below as a success story. Berra isn’t suited to possesion football I’m afraid. 

I edited it because I knew someone would say that that. Berra obviously won't be our only CB or defender. Pairing him with a more footballing CB like Souttar would work. Ozturk and Wilson were hardly Paulo Maldini. Wilson in particular got criticism for not being strong enough in the air. Teams in that league play long ball. Berra would be very useful and he's already our player. It makes sense unless there's an obviously better player we can get in.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I edited it because I knew someone would say that that. Berra obviously won't be our only CB or defender. Pairing him with a more footballing CB like Souttar would work. Ozturk and Wilson were hardly Paulo Maldini. Wilson in particular got criticism for not being strong enough in the air. Teams in that league play long ball. Berra would be very useful and he's already our player. It makes sense unless there's an obviously better player we can get in.

Fair enough mate as I say each to their own 😊. It’s nice to actually talk and debate about footballing matters for a change tbh! Suspect it’ll come down to who the manager is anyway. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

He was a great player but his time was up. It happens to them all. Move on.

He was a standout in the Championship. So was Wighton. Some Hearts fans might just need to park their views of certain players who were not up to scratch in the Premiership but might be just what we need at that level.