Players Spitting on the Pitch

jamborambo

Telegraph article about players spitting on the pitch, once football resumes. Hadn’t really thought about that. Players will find it very difficult to break the habit.

Spitting should be outlawed on resumption and punished by yellow card, says Fifa's chief medic

Saliva could stay on pitch for hours and spread coronavirus, scientists say

Players should be given yellow cards if they spit during matches when football resumes because they risk spreading coronavirus, a Fifa council member said on Monday.

Momentum is building in England for football's return, as the government continues talks with the Premier League and several clubs, including West Ham, Arsenal and Brighton, resume training.

But medical experts, including Michel D’Hooghe, Fifa’s Medical Committee chairman, have warned that serious health concerns must be addressed before it can return safely and that spitting on the pitch, now an accepted part of the game, must be banned.

“This is a common practice in football and it is not very hygienic,” D’Hooge told The Telegraph. “So when we start football again I think we should have to avoid that at maximum. The question is whether that will be possible. Perhaps they can give a yellow card.  “It is unhygienic and a good way to spread the virus. This is one of the reasons why we have to be very careful before we start again. I am not pessimistic but I am rather sceptical at the moment.”...

Heartsofgold
2 minutes ago, jamborambo said:

Telegraph article about players spitting on the pitch, once football resumes. Hadn’t really thought about that. Players will find it very difficult to break the habit.

Spitting should be outlawed on resumption and punished by yellow card, says Fifa's chief medic

Saliva could stay on pitch for hours and spread coronavirus, scientists say

Players should be given yellow cards if they spit during matches when football resumes because they risk spreading coronavirus, a Fifa council member said on Monday.

Momentum is building in England for football's return, as the government continues talks with the Premier League and several clubs, including West Ham, Arsenal and Brighton, resume training.

But medical experts, including Michel D’Hooghe, Fifa’s Medical Committee chairman, have warned that serious health concerns must be addressed before it can return safely and that spitting on the pitch, now an accepted part of the game, must be banned.

“This is a common practice in football and it is not very hygienic,” D’Hooge told The Telegraph. “So when we start football again I think we should have to avoid that at maximum. The question is whether that will be possible. Perhaps they can give a yellow card.  “It is unhygienic and a good way to spread the virus. This is one of the reasons why we have to be very careful before we start again. I am not pessimistic but I am rather sceptical at the moment.”...

Oh **** right off!!  This is a moron who's obviously never actually played a competitive sport I'll bet!!!  

2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Oh **** right off!!  This is a moron who's obviously never actually played a competitive sport I'll bet!!!  

Probably never exercised either by the sounds of it.

Dagger Is Back

To be honest I don’t see the problem with what he’s saying except that a yellow card is a step too far IMO.

It was a disgusting habit only eclipsed by the nose blow.

No need for it either, and yes I’ve played competitive sport and exercised.

Randy Marsh

It's a disgusting habit.  Apart from when Rudi spat on Lennon.                        :glorious:

Edited by Randy Marsh

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Mr 3 Putt said:

If there is a risk of covid still spreading while on the pitch then starting up football again is a no go.

This. Do players get booked for sneezing too??

Horatio Caine
20 minutes ago, kila said:

Keepers spitting on their gloves to think about too, that ball covered in covid.

I've never understood why keepers spit on their gloves.  Utterly pointless.

Batistuta87
4 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Wetting the material makes them stickier. Generally spit is the nearest, easiest, constant supply of moisture. Agree its pretty minging but its so routine to a lot of keepers now they probably do it without thinking. 

East Lothian Jambo
17 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Spitting just breathing and sweating a close distance to each other is enough if a player has it.

Exactly. If there is talk of resuming football and a doubt as to whether any of participants are infected, I'd say resumption isn't appropriate 

12 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Exactly. If there is talk of resuming football and a doubt as to whether any of participants are infected, I'd say resumption isn't appropriate 

Totally I just don't see how it goes ahead.The spitting thing just seems like a farce of a law just to make it seem like they are trying to do something.

will-i-am-a-jambo

Loving all the scientists on here who seem to know better! Spitting is a disgusting habit and it's well known that it spreads germs/diseases such as TB, l'd go as far as to say it should be a red card. And yes l've played football before. I appreciate it will be a difficult habit for footballers to break so perhaps some leeway with the yellow card is a good start but if it saves lives what is the problem here?

ps in some countries like Hong Kong and Singapore its outlawed.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

15 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Totally I just don't see how it goes ahead.The spitting thing just seems like a farce of a law just to make it seem like they are trying to do something.

Correct, do players also have dedicated water bottles that are filled by someone wearing a mask, ball boys disinfecting the ball each time it goes out? 

6 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Loving all the scientists on here who seem to know better! Spitting is a disgusting habit and it's well known that it spreads germs/diseases such as TB, l'd go as far as to say it should be a red card. And yes l've played football before. I appreciate it will be a difficult habit for footballers to break so perhaps some leeway with the yellow card is a good start but if it saves lives what is the problem here?

ps in some countries like Hong Kong and Singapore its outlawed.

Who's being the scientists?

will-i-am-a-jambo
5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Correct, do players also have dedicated water bottles that are filled by someone wearing a mask, ball boys disinfecting the ball each time it goes out? 

And why not? If it makes people safe then so be it. I don't think people on here realise how contagious corona virus is. You wouldn't be saying that if god forbid someone did catch it from the above scenario and ended up hospitalised or dead because of it.

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Who's being the scientists?

The people on here dismissing the comment about being yellow carded for spitting.

sorry l was being sarcastic.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

To be honest I don’t see the problem with what he’s saying except that a yellow card is a step too far IMO.

It was a disgusting habit only eclipsed by the nose blow.

No need for it either, and yes I’ve played competitive sport and exercised.

All sportsman are different, I spit to this day as it's what MY BODY is telling me to do.

5 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

And why not? If it makes people safe then so be it. I don't think people on here realise how contagious corona virus is. You wouldn't be saying that if god forbid someone did catch it from the above scenario and ended up hospitalised or dead because of it.

Fully aware of how serious it is, that's why bringing in a rule ONLY for spitting is nonsense, having half measures in place is no better than no measures in place at all!

will-i-am-a-jambo
Just now, Ribble said:

Fully aware of how serious it is, that's why bringing in a rule ONLY for spitting is nonsense, having half measures in place is no better than no measures in place at all!

Sorry l misunderstood you, totally agree with what your saying.

Not disagreeing with he article but I myself would struggle not to spit. I don't play but when out a run I tend to spit a few times. Not because of habit just simply because I seen to have a lot of flem. Especially when I'm blowing out my arse. 

Like others say, if there is still a high risk of the spread, then football simply can't start up again 

will-i-am-a-jambo
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

All sportsman are different, I spit to this day as it's what MY BODY is telling me to do.

I hope you spit into something and disposing of it and not leaving it on the ground or other surfaces for other people to pick up your germs?

will-i-am-a-jambo

Perhaps they could have a bucket with some disinfectant in it at side of the pitch for players to spit into could be a way around this?

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

I hope you spit into something and disposing of it and not leaving it on the ground or other surfaces for other people to pick up your germs?

I spit on the turf and then ground it in with my foot, never picked anything up untoward in my 50 years of playing football, I'm 57 now.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Horatio Caine said:

Absolutely isn't. Water didn't work half as well as saliva 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm sure I read years ago that spitting had been made into a bookable offence.

Any refs on here?  Is there already a rule that is generally overlooked at the moment?

Anyone who isn't a ref more likely  :)

Dagger Is Back
53 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Sorry John we'll just have to agree to disagree. There are lots of sports played where I don't see participants gobbing on the 'field of play' as I do footballers

Have never liked seeing it and in these times there's even more of a need to stop a filthy habit 

2 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

It's a disgusting habit.  Apart from when Rudi spat on Lennon.                        :glorious:

There are exceptions to every rule.

50 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Facemasks all round when we get back to tynie!! Nice maroon saltire ones would be cool!!

And ones impregnated with mouthwash for the roseburn when hibs visit.

Players also sweat a lot during the game, is grappling during a corner not allowed too?

If the game cannot be played safely then it should not be played. 

Ex member of the SaS

Zero chance of any player passing it on. IF there was they should not have restarted the leagues. More chance of getting it from a half eaten pie thrown at Lennon TBH.

15 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Zero chance of any player passing it on. IF there was they should not have restarted the leagues. More chance of getting it from a half eaten pie thrown at Lennon TBH.

Your post interests me.

How do you conclude that there is ‘zero chance’ of any player passing it on?

Ex member of the SaS
13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Your post interests me.

How do you conclude that there is ‘zero chance’ of any player passing it on?

Very simple. Players will be tested. No player should be allowed anywhere near a pitch until this virus is gone or without having first been cleared to play. 

This whole subject demonstrates why football isn't ready to restart any time soon.

Interesting to see if the insurance companies are covering these £90m players.

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Very simple. Players will be tested. No player should be allowed anywhere near a pitch until this virus is gone or without having first been cleared to play. 

Wrong.

Testing is not conclusive on people asymptomatic.

will-i-am-a-jambo
8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Wrong.

Testing is not conclusive on people asymptomatic.

Depends if they are testing for antibodies or not. I think if you are asymptomatic then you won't necessarily have antibodies to it and are just naturally immune? If they are testing via culture method it may be different but that takes days. It says on the govt testing results are best after showing 3 days of symptoms.

8 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Depends if they are testing for antibodies or not. I think if you are asymptomatic then you won't necessarily have antibodies to it and are just naturally immune? If they are testing via culture method it may be different but that takes days. It says on the govt testing results are best after showing 3 days of symptoms.

Asymptomatic doesn't mean you are immune - it just means you aren't showing symptoms, much as a cold often takes a few days before it takes hold.

This is why I made my point that testing is not reliable.  It only takes one asymptomatic person to come in contact and infect the whole squad or more.

will-i-am-a-jambo
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Asymptomatic doesn't mean you are immune - it just means you aren't showing symptoms, much as a cold often takes a few days before it takes hold.

This is why I made my point that testing is not reliable.  It only takes one asymptomatic person to come in contact and infect the whole squad or more.

Sorry l worded that poorly. I know asymptomatic means that you show no symptoms and not necessarily mean you are immune. There must be a reason why some people do not show symptoms, some people show symptoms and recover, and others unfortunately and sadly succumb to it though, do you not agree? What that is l know not. I agree with you entirely that the testing is not reliable.

jambo-in-furness
4 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Rudi did NOT spit on Lennon. FFS 

2 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Sorry l worded that poorly. I know asymptomatic means that you show no symptoms and not necessarily mean you are immune. There must be a reason why some people do not show symptoms, some people show symptoms and recover, and others unfortunately and sadly succumb to it though, do you not agree? What that is l know not. I agree with you entirely that the testing is not reliable.

That is one for the medical scientists to answer, I guess. :lol:

The EPL push for football is purely down to the fact the teams have a £1bn commitment to Sky or grim financial consequences.

Edited by frankblack

will-i-am-a-jambo
17 minutes ago, Locky said:

Spit buckets at the side of the park. Problem solved.

Yep agree, see my above post for similar suggestion.

Just now, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Yep agree, see my above post for similar suggestion.

What about sweat and blood - its a contact sport after all?

As I said in my previous post I think this push is all about desperation to avoid serious financial consequences of not honouring the Sky contract.

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

That is one for the medical scientists to answer, I guess. :lol:

Lol yep absolutely. Could be genetics, if it is it could be because they have a natural immunity to it. Just like in the old days, not everyone succumbed to the plague etc. I used to work in that field but memory is not the best so l could be talking cobblers.

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

What about sweat and blood - its a contact sport after all?

As I said in my previous post I think this push is all about desperation to avoid serious financial consequences of not honouring the Sky contract.

Exactly, where does it end? To my knowledge the coronavirus is a respiratory illness so it would only carry in the mucus membrane so things like saliva, mucous and coughing/sneezing droplets. I'm not sure about blood and sweat as l've not researched the topic properly but ld say by blood is very doubtful.