Remembering Hearts Sandy Jardine

MCJamTart

Just been reading online that today is the 6th anniversary of Sandy Jardine sadly passing away.

He always seems to be remembered as a Scotland and Rangers great. However, along with manager Alexis McDonald he played an important  part in the rise of his boyhood team Hearts in the early / mid 1980s.  He of course played in the fabulous  1985/86 team which came so close to a league and cup double. He was voted Player of the Year at the age of 37.

Fond memories. 

Auld Reekin'

Never met Sandy (or Billy as his family called him), but knew his dad, Jimmy, through work in the late 70s and early 80s. Jimmy was a great character - WWII veteran and former Japanese p.o.w. - and although he undoubtedly had seen and experienced some very tough times and terrible experiences was always cheery.

Sandy was a great player for us and a huge part of our revival and return to challenging for honours in the mid-80s. As with other experienced players of that era, Jimmy Bone for instance, Sandy undoubtedly brought-on and mentored the younger players around him: the young Craig Levein being a prime example.

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Those of us during that period were lucky to see him play. 

Outstanding. 

Agreed. A brilliant signing for Hearts. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Brilliant player / servant to Heart Of Midlothain football club ! Lived the dream playing for club he supported and Assistant Manager 

East Lothian Jambo

Scottish Football Writers Association Player of the Year at age 37

Brilliant player. Young Craig Levein couldn't have had a better role model

gashauskis9
19 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Brilliant player / servant to Heart Of Midlothain football club ! Lived the dream playing for club he supported and Assistant Manager 

He was a Rangers fan chief.

Midloth_Iain

Sandy (& John Greig) both lived in Liberton when I was a boy ...

They occasionally helped out with our local football team at that time, taking training in Liberton Park.

I was delighted when Sandy signed for Hearts and his influence on the younger players was obvious.

Great player and lovely guy ....

credit card

I saw him when he signed in a pre-season game against Blyth Spartans. He was terrible. Reckoned he was past it. How wrong was I.

At half time he was last of the park went in and reappeared a few seconds later. He shouted the big Jambo standing at the tunnel entrance. Gonna run up to Broughie's goals he's left his teeth at the post!

Georgecowie
39 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

They occasionally helped out with our local football team at that time, taking training in Liberton Park.

I was delighted when Sandy signed for Hearts and his influence on the younger players was obvious.

I used to live opposite John Greig when I was really young. Little Road. 

alwaysthereinspirit
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Those of us during that period were lucky to see him play. 

Outstanding. 

Great signing. Exactly what Hearts needed at that time for the kids coming through.

Strolled through some games for us like he knew just what was about to happen before it happened.

Read the game so so well. Hardly ever had to make a tackle. 

gowestjambo

I was invited to Sandy Jardine's tribute night in the Thistle Hotel in Glasgow. The only Hearts supporter in attendance! To Rangers credit, they showed plenty of photos of Sandy Jardine in Hearts colours.

I actually got the programme signed by Sandy, and had a quick chat to him. He looked very frail at that time, and sadly he died about 6 months later.

Kidd’s Boots

Sandy was a member of my Golf Club and I played in a few medals with him over the years. Strolled through a game of golf the same way he strolled around Tynecastle. A class act, both on and off the pitch. He was also my uncles' favourite player of that time, the family said a final goodbye to him yesterday and I hope he gets a good chat with Sandy in the 19th!

Kidd’s Boots
40 minutes ago, Georgecowie said:

I used to live opposite John Greig when I was really young. Little Road. 

John Greig married my mum's cousin, and I'll never forget a family members' comment when he was awarded the MBE. 'Never had anyone deserved the Miserable Bugger of Edinburgh award more than oor John' 

ford donald
2 hours ago, MCJamTart said:

Just been reading online that today is the 6th anniversary of Sandy Jardine sadly passing away.

He always seems to be remembered as a Scotland and Rangers great. However, along with manager Alexis McDonald he played an important  part in the rise of his boyhood team Hearts in the early / mid 1980s.  He of course played in the fabulous  1985/86 team which came so close to a league and cup double. He was voted Player of the Year at the age of 37.

Fond memories. 

Sandy was a class act,you will never see a better sweeper at tynecastle.

The best player I have seen in maroon. The calmness and sheer footballing ability was phenomenal. At first you felt quite panicked but after you had watched him dummy strikers in the box and stroll away with the ball the other way it was clear you were watching a calibre of player that hadn't been seen at Tynecastle for many years. Robbo will always be my favourite Hearts player but Jardine was a class apart even in his mid 30s.

1 hour ago, Ruud Krol said:

I delivered his milk when I was a milk laddie in the late 70’s early 80’s. He lived at the bottom of orchardhead road.  I’m sure they still lived there until his passing. Absolute legend of the game and a tremendous acquisition for us. 

Georgecowie
59 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

John Greig married my mum's cousin, and I'll never forget a family members' comment when he was awarded the MBE. 'Never had anyone deserved the Miserable Bugger of Edinburgh award more than oor John' 

Think my late mum would agree. We used to go through to see grandparents in Glasgow and my second cousin was high up in David Murray's regime. Got us  tickets for the directors box for a game v dundee at ibrox during Dick Advocaats time. John Greig had quite an important job and didn't appreciate my mum trying to reintroduce me as he passed. To be fair it was about two minutes to kick off. The only game I remember her going to.    Echo all the comments re Sandy Jardine at us. Always seemed to have his head up. 

Guest ToqueJambo

It's his composure that sticks with me. Like he was playing the game a few seconds ahead of everyone else. That and a glorious free kick goal in a hammering of someone.

Edited by ToqueJambo

davemclaren
40 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's his composure that sticks with me. Like he was playing the game a few seconds ahead of everyone else. That and a glorious free kick goal in a hammering of someone.

His positioning was amazing. 

He was so calm and composed when he played for us. Honestly reminded me of Bobby Moore. He wasn’t a youngster but a great football brain meant you didn’t really notice. Quality 

Sneckiejambo

Class act, best reader of a game I have seen in a Hearts jersey 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

6 hours ago, MCJamTart said:

Fond memories. 

Sadly missed.  A great player even in the twilight of his career. 

gashauskis9
24 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Both Sandy and John Greig were Hearts supporters growing up.

I used to live round the corner from his daughter and she always said otherwise.  

2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

He was so calm and composed when he played for us. Honestly reminded me of Bobby Moore. He wasn’t a youngster but a great football brain meant you didn’t really notice. Quality 

I think he got a new lease of life playing that position. Having been a full back most of his time at Rangers. 

8 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Never met Sandy (or Billy as his family called him), but knew his dad, Jimmy, through work in the late 70s and early 80s. Jimmy was a great character - WWII veteran and former Japanese p.o.w. - and although he undoubtedly had seen and experienced some very tough times and terrible experiences was always cheery.

Sandy was a great player for us and a huge part of our revival and return to challenging for honours in the mid-80s. As with other experienced players of that era, Jimmy Bone for instance, Sandy undoubtedly brought-on and mentored the younger players around him: the young Craig Levein being a prime example.

You are absolutely correct regarding his name.  Many of his friends were regulars at the leamington Hotel and they all referred to him as Billy.  He also made infrequent visits to the Leamy.

Loved Sandy , Absolute legend , if I recall correctly his debut was for Rangers v Hearts and his 1000game was Hearts v Rangers 

Jingle Bells

A bit of a sickener, for the Hun, that they didn't think of switching Jardine from full back to Sweeper.

Think it was mentioned on here that his brother was a very good player as well but didn't have quite the same application.

Guest ToqueJambo

I remember being very disappointed when Sandy got sacked as co-manager - no great shakes in the league that season but he was sacked after finishing 2nd the season before and in the middle of our great European run and after a run to the League Cup semis. He was part of a management team that got two 2nd places - incredible considering D Utd and Aberdeen still had decent sides then too, as well as competing with the OF. 

Not sure why but I always felt maybe he was the brains of the two. Probably because of the way he played football. Doddie, however, did get us to 3rd the next season.

Have there been many other "co-managers" (as opposed to assistant managers) in football? Clough and Taylor? I can't remember if Sandy started out as assistant manager and was promoted to joint manager or if he was always joint manager. Does anyone remember? I can't find his book. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I remember being very disappointed when Sandy got sacked as co-manager - no great shakes in the league that season but he was sacked after finishing 2nd the season before and in the middle of our great European run and after a run to the League Cup semis. He was part of a management team that got two 2nd places - incredible considering D Utd and Aberdeen still had decent sides then too, as well as competing with the OF. 

Not sure why but I always felt maybe he was the brains of the two. Probably because of the way he played football. Doddie, however, did get us to 3rd the next season.

Have there been many other "co-managers" (as opposed to assistant managers) in football? Clough and Taylor? I can't remember if Sandy started out as assistant manager and was promoted to joint manager or if he was always joint manager. Does anyone remember? I can't find his book. 

I think he was assistant manager. Hard to see how co-managers can work. Alex didn’t last long after Sandy left. Ww didn’t win anything but enjoyable times, in the main.  

Enzo Chiefo
6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think he was only promoted to co-manager at the time because Aberdeen were sniffing about looking to appoint him as their manager after sacking, maybe Ian Porterfield??. Unfortunately it didn't work and both Sandy and Doddie had left within a couple of years. A fantastic player and a great influence at the club.

Forever Hearts
8 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

A bit of a sickener, for the Hun, that they didn't think of switching Jardine from full back to Sweeper.

Think it was mentioned on here that his brother was a very good player as well but didn't have quite the same application.

In what way was it a sickener? He had a fantastic career at Rangers, winning every domestic honour and having a stand named after him. 

Baldwigforjack
21 hours ago, Ruud Krol said:

I remember getting in an alteration with Sandy's son on the Double Hedges Road when I was a kid. He pulled a gun on me, luckily it wasn't a real gun.