League reconstruction preference for 'next season'

kila

League reconstruction preference for 'next season'  

370 members have voted

1. 1. How many teams?

All these options assume no relegation this season for bottom placed teams, and reconstruction is a one off to solve the relegation/promotion issue. This means a higher number of relegations at the end to restore the leagues back to 12-10-10-10. There could be the option for the SPFL to keep the league reconstruction if it were a success or consider further reconstruction if there is appetite.

14 Team League

- Two promoted from Championship (Dundee United and Inverness)

- Play home and away then split into top 6/bottom 8

- Play home and away again

- Top 6 plays 36 games

- Bottom 8 plays 40 games

16 Team League

- Four promoted from Championship (Dundee United, Inverness, Dundee, Ayr)

- Play home and away giving 30 games

18 Team League

- Six promoted from Championship (Dundee United, Inverness, Dundee, Ayr, Dunfermline, Arbroath)

- Play home and away giving 34 games

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTT

• Locky

• shaun.lawson

• MCW1976

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 is the perfect balance for me. 14 would require an imbalanced split.

16 would ensure all 4 promotion spot holders in the Championship come up, and could even appease Bonnyrigg as there'd be gaps to fill. Still personally though, I prefer the though of a 16 team top flight, with a 16 team 2nd tier, and regionalised thereafter. 16 teams would also ensure less midweek games, and a proper winter break.

18 I'd settle for, but I just think it might be a bit too big.

I went for 18.

IMO Football outside the top flight has no commercial appeal. Going down to playing each other twice a season means there is a need to have more category A fixtures (games which are important to the fans). Having more derbies such as the Highland, Dundee & Fife derbies would help offset this. I also think it would be far more exciting only playing each other twice a season as the significance of losing to supporters is magnified whilst the impact to your actual season is reduced (meaning each fixtures importance grows, whilst the impact any one team can have on your season is reduced). Suddenly we won't have 20 point gaps at the top end of our league. 

Neil Doncaster was wanting a 10 team league and in his interview he said he wanted teams to put their league hat on when they voted (failed because it was a stupid ****ing idea), I would argue with a 18 team league the same applies

- More derbies

- Greater variety of opposition - I think current SPFL is too defensive and managers rely on some type of muscle memory in playing teams so often

- More opportunity for youngsters to get game time (which is where the greatest chance of making money actually lies)

- Fresh start and the excitement that would come with that

- forcing the league to think about more than just 2 clubs. 

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc. will NEVER win the league whilst 24 points lie with the old firm. Adopting an 18 team league would ensure that only 6 points would actually lie in Glasgow, as opposed to 12 currently. This would massively improve our sporting chance of winning the league - they already have the money, why should the structure be rigged their way too?

My plan would be to bin Doncaster and hire someone who is competent to negotiate with Sky. My belief is that he is underselling Scottish football which is why we're getting breadcrumbs. 

(FWIW 20 teams would actually be better given that 34 games is less than 38 so the diddies who need the OF-£ can't afford to lose additional games). 

heartsfc_fan

I'd love 18 teams.

Can't see it happening though.

Edited by heartsfc_fan

Libertarian

Voted for the 16 team league. However the only chance of reconstruction would be a 14 team league.

20 minutes ago, OTT said:

I went for 18.

IMO Football outside the top flight has no commercial appeal. Going down to playing each other twice a season means there is a need to have more category A fixtures (games which are important to the fans). Having more derbies such as the Highland, Dundee & Fife derbies would help offset this. I also think it would be far more exciting only playing each other twice a season as the significance of losing to supporters is magnified whilst the impact to your actual season is reduced (meaning each fixtures importance grows, whilst the impact any one team can have on your season is reduced). Suddenly we won't have 20 point gaps at the top end of our league. 

Neil Doncaster was wanting a 10 team league and in his interview he said he wanted teams to put their league hat on when they voted (failed because it was a stupid ****ing idea), I would argue with a 18 team league the same applies

- More derbies

- Greater variety of opposition - I think current SPFL is too defensive and managers rely on some type of muscle memory in playing teams so often

- More opportunity for youngsters to get game time (which is where the greatest chance of making money actually lies)

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc. will NEVER win the league whilst 24 points lie with the old firm. Adopting an 18 team league would ensure that only 6 points would actually lie in Glasgow, as opposed to 12 currently. This would massively improve our sporting chance of winning the league - they already have the money, why should the structure be rigged their way too?

My plan would be to bin Doncaster and hire someone who is competent to negotiate with Sky. My belief is that he is underselling Scottish football which is why we're getting breadcrumbs. 

(FWIW 20 teams would actually be better given that 34 games is less than 38 so the diddies who need the OF-£ can't afford to lose additional games). 

You’re not free to present to the SPFL on this are you? I’m sold

Libertarian
1 minute ago, fraser5670 said:

14 teams home and away, then split 7 & 7 - home and away- everyone plays 38 games

Would possibly allow BT Sport to cover some games. A Friday night fixture would be ideal.

Ehllhayapeh
51 minutes ago, OTT said:

I went for 18.

- More derbies

Cannot argue with a single word of that.

So sensible it will never catch on 

Ehllhayapeh
18 minutes ago, Gambo said:

If there was a 4th option "non corrupt english league'  i'd vote for that tbh.

The English league is just as corrupt in its own different ways.

Plus do you really want to spend 8 years or so trying to get the championship at which point you may simply hit a level and stay there? 

Personally, Id rather the smaller leagues got together (Holland, Belguim,  Scotland, Denmark) and tried to come up with something between us like the Atlantic Cup or something. Must be more interesting than the league cup and with some good sides in those countries not qualifying for the champions league or europa league its a chance to do something different of our own.

SpruceBringsteen

I'd have voted for 20 and scrap the irrelevant league cup, but as that's not going to happen then 16 and keeping it's comatose body on life support seems to be about the right number of games.

Of course you'll get the "but there'll be pointless games" lads waving their flag.

a) It doesn't seem to bother the vast majority of top level leagues who actually market their game properly

and

b) newsflash - about 90% of Scottish games are pointless.

East Lothian Jambo

Denmark and Norway, two countries of comparable size have 14 and 16 league structures respectively 

Neither of those countries have one club supported on the level of Rangers or Celtic let alone 2 

Complicated situation but its clear status quo is not going to be acceptable moving forward 

4 OF games remains the biggest necessity which holds back any progress. A 16 team league with 30 games appears to be the best chance of a club like Hearts or Aberdeen have to win the league 

Voice of reason

Has to realistically be a 14 team top league with no relegation and Dundee Utd and ICT coming up.  A top 6 and bottom 8 split after 26 games with a further 2 round of 2 games. It's the best option. Either that or Null and void this season and continue as we are with no champions and no relegation.

12 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Denmark and Norway, two countries of comparable size have 14 and 16 league structures respectively 

Neither of those countries have one club supported on the level of Rangers or Celtic let alone 2 

Complicated situation but its clear status quo is not going to be acceptable moving forward 

4 OF games remains the biggest necessity which holds back any progress. A 16 team league with 30 games appears to be the best chance of a club like Hearts or Aberdeen have to win the league 

If we used this cluster **** to adopt summer football, we'd no longer be in direct competition with English football for limited TV slots. Whatsmore, it would give Sky something to show during the summer, which IMO would be offering them something they don't already have, strengthening our bargaining position. 

Ibrahim Tall

18 would be ideal tbh. Clubs like Dundee United, Inverness, Falkirk, Airdrie, Dundee, Dunfermline, Partick and Ayr are all ‘big’ enough by Scottish standards to be top league clubs so there’s no reason we couldn’t support a league that size. They’d also add a lot in terms of more regular Ayr/Lanarkshire/Dundee etc derbies. 

More than likely it’d also lead to more young players getting an opportunity as a bigger league would be less cut throat than a relegation/promotion battle.

And there’s the bonus of teams not getting scudded 8x a season from the OF.

Tokyo Drifter
2 hours ago, kila said:

All these options assume no relegation this season for bottom placed teams, and reconstruction is a one off to solve the relegation/promotion issue. This means a higher number of relegations at the end to restore the leagues back to 12-10-10-10. There could be the option for the SPFL to keep the league reconstruction if it were a success or consider further reconstruction if there is appetite.

14 Team League

- Top 6 plays 36 games

16 Team League

18 Team League

- Six promoted from Championship (Dundee United, Inverness, Dundee, Ayr, Dunfermline, Arbroath)

Sixteen team top flight for me. I don't see how you can only promote two from the Championship when any one of three teams could come up alongside Dundee United. if you're trying to make the system fair, which you are, then you have to assume any one of them could make it, so you have to bring them all up. Plus 30 games allows for a later start to the season, which is gonna happen anyway. 

East Lothian Jambo
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

If we used this cluster **** to adopt summer football, we'd no longer be in direct competition with English football for limited TV slots. Whatsmore, it would give Sky something to show during the summer, which IMO would be offering them something they don't already have, strengthening our bargaining position. 

Good point. This is something the SPFL should've looked at along with other sources of commercial revenue. Instead they've had their thumb in their ass 

None of the above. My preference would be no change and us to be compensated decently by the SPFL. Do our year in the Championship and gut a squad which is appalling using relegation clauses to punt them. If this means replacing the manager fair enough, he is a good guy but has shown little on the football front in all honesty. 

johnking123

Went for 16 teams for next season. Will have to start the season later than normal and could give us a chance of finishing the Scottish cup this year. But 18 would be better long term.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, kila said:

14 Team League

- Top 6 plays 36 games

16 Team League

18 Team League

Voted 14 but it will be 26 games if it happens 

Ehllhayapeh
25 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yep. I had hoped that we would look at a Jan start to next season giving

a) Plenty of time to see out this season to the end 

b) A chance to trial summer for that exact reason

c) Align with Qatar 2022 (the dumbest world cup ever)

I know noone likes this but we share a domestic market with the English Premier League. Until such a time as we have something non regional and unique or a package that goes through the summer meaning no direct competition with England then we will never get our proper value in the market.

Summer football is exactly what we should be trying to adopt. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I went for 18.

- More derbies

I voted 14 but this Sounds good to me ....can I change my vote 🤭

IveSeenTheLight
2 hours ago, kila said:

14 Team League

- Top 6 plays 36 games

^^^^^^^^^^

This, it's the only real option, but does still have drawbacks, so probably needs to revert with 3 down plus a play off for a 4th spot next season

2 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Yep. I had hoped that we would look at a Jan start to next season giving

a) Plenty of time to see out this season to the end 

b) A chance to trial summer for that exact reason

c) Align with Qatar 2022 (the dumbest world cup ever)

I know noone likes this but we share a domestic market with the English Premier League. Until such a time as we have something non regional and unique or a package that goes through the summer meaning no direct competition with England then we will never get our proper value in the market.

Summer football is exactly what we should be trying to adopt. 

This is why my biggest point is that we need to get rid of Doncaster. He doesn't have the leadership, vision, drive, ambition, character or personality to drive the positive change we need to see Scottish football regain some of its pride. The cowardly weasel is content taking breadcrumbs from Sky. Its embarrassing. Thats the guy we let run our game? No wonder its in the state it is. 

We need someone to take charge, propose changes explain why they are needed and have the strength of character to win support for them. For the £300k+ we pay that specky bairn haired nonce he has brought nothing. NOTHING of value to the game. 

Ehllhayapeh

Breaking in the Dundee Courier:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1268401/dundee-fc-spfl-vote-yes-season/

Dundee have submitted a yes vote.

Can I be the first to say how ****ing wrong this all is and I am really ashamed if this is true of the manner in which this has all played out. 

The only light in the tunnel is at least the suggestion is the premier league stays in Haitus which still opens the door for common sense in this mess.

Edited by Ehllhayapeh

Paisley Jambo

Possibly only have time for 30 games next season.

Great to have Ayrshire, Dundee, Highland, Edinburgh, New Firm, Old Firm and Lanarkshire 🤣derbies. One season only and reduce to 14 for following.

Allow OF to play a ‘Charity Shield’ match to start season as a curtain raiser.

Wont happen down to Sky need for OF matches. For the good of our game we’ve got to lessen our reliance on these matches.

2 hours ago, OTT said:

I went for 18 as well.

Funnily enough, i'd keep Doncaster but as a Marketing Manager.  He's hopeless as an administrator but does seem to get decent sponsors, TV deals etc.

2 hours ago, OTT said:

I went for 18.

- More derbies

I would have 20 Teams and be done with it. Stagger all the derbies so they all get the chance to be on TV. Creates more interest through the season.
Be 16 - 20 potential “Derbies” a season plus some juicy cup games. 
I would also start the season in March until New Year so Scottish games could be televised and be of more interest to SKY when the English game is shut in the summer thus making more money (plus our pitches are awful in winter).

14 teams play each other twice to make 26 matches.

Split into top and bottom 7 would mean another 12 matches equalling 38 in total...,,same as this season should have been

The issue is then relegation and do we state bottom 3 automatically go down leaving the issue of whether there should be a play off that season or simply one up and three down ?  It would be the quickest way to get back to 12 teams but of course no play offs for a season

There will be no ideal situation unless we are talking about a total reorganisation of the league structure for the long term and I hope we don't see this demand for an 18 team league raise its head once more.

Yes I have worked the league reconstruction out for season 2020-2021 and I have submitted my ideas to Stuart Wallace of FOH and our Ann Budge. My way is the best thought out system the country has ever seen . Let’s wait and see if Ann and Stuart can see it’s value and submit it to the Scottish Leagues.

The issue will ultimately lay with Sky and their insistence they get 4 Old Firms, the only way to make that work is with the 14. 

what we’ve learnt this past is that very few clubs have the greater good of Scottish football in mind,  and if these clubs are going to be out of pocket with a league restructure then I don’t see how it can get the relevant votes. The 11-1 rule would need to be scrapped for this 

18 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

14 teams play each other twice to make 26 matches.

Split into top and bottom 7 would mean another 12 matches equalling 38 in total...,,same as this season should have been

The issue is then relegation and do we state bottom 3 automatically go down leaving the issue of whether there should be a play off that season or simply one up and three down ?  It would be the quickest way to get back to 12 teams but of course no play offs for a season

There will be no ideal situation unless we are talking about a total reorganisation of the league structure for the long term and I hope we don't see this demand for an 18 team league raise its head once more.

I don’t know if you’ve missed the least few days, but there is no chance, none at all, that 11 clubs are voting for 3 to go down next summer.

Reconstruction is for the long term and will need to show long term benefit, or it won’t happen.

Have a guess what it will be.

Hearts have been voted into the Championship. That’s it.

1 minute ago, Pistol1874 said:

I don’t know if you’ve missed the least few days, but there is no chance, none at all, that 11 clubs are voting for 3 to go down next summer.

Reconstruction is for the long term and will need to show long term benefit, or it won’t happen.

Have a guess what it will be.

Hearts have been voted into the Championship. That’s it.

Amazingly I am aware of recent events so there we go...give an opinion and you try and be smart in your reply with no reason

4 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

The issue will ultimately lay with Sky and their insistence they get 4 Old Firms, the only way to make that work is with the 14. 

what we’ve learnt this past is that very few clubs have the greater good of Scottish football in mind,  and if these clubs are going to be out of pocket with a league restructure then I don’t see how it can get the relevant votes. The 11-1 rule would need to be scrapped for this 

My way the top 4 will play each other home and away which will give the top 4 40 games just like the middle and bottom with the top of the Championship. Everybody plays 40 games.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

16 is the perfect balance for me. 14 would require an imbalanced split.

16 would ensure all 4 promotion spot holders in the Championship come up, and could even appease Bonnyrigg as there'd be gaps to fill. Still personally though, I prefer the though of a 16 team top flight, with a 16 team 2nd tier, and regionalised thereafter. 16 teams would also ensure less midweek games, and a proper winter break.

18 I'd settle for, but I just think it might be a bit too big.

I voted 16 as well. Think people would be more 'up' for the single visit of an opposition team.

if it became long term I would like the League cup 2 legged till the semi's at least.

No matter the draw lower league club get a higher league club at home in the first leg (generate more income?)

6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Amazingly I am aware of recent events so there we go...give an opinion and you try and be smart in your reply with no reason

I’m not trying to be anything, apologies if you’ve taken it that way.

Suggesting 11 clubs, 4 or 5 of whom at the beginning of the season would be realistic candidates for just 1 automatic place, are not voting for 3 places.

Hamilton, St Mirren, Ross County, St Johnstone. At least 2 of those would say no to 3 relegation places. 

Typing that out, it would be hard to believe we’re not above at least one of them by now with the money we’ve spend. Scandalous on its own.

13 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

I voted 16 as well. Think people would be more 'up' for the single visit of an opposition team.

if it became long term I would like the League cup 2 legged till the semi's at least.

No matter the draw lower league club get a higher league club at home in the first leg (generate more income?)

Yeah, 2 legged LC semi is something I'd definitely back. They do it in England. Depending on the opponents, half the LC semi's don't even get played at Hampden anyway.

Voted 14. For no other reason that I’m extremely bitter and want those Judas ***** from Dens Park to get shafted royally!

I’ve been sure for a week or two now that the coronavirus pandemic (which is much bigger than football) would result in league reconstruction - and with it our top-flight status.

The current SPFL Punch & Judy show is cementing our position in the Premiership.

Instead of hating Dundee, we may come to thank them for their delusions of grandeur.

If Hearts don’t stay up now, I’ll dye my hair green!*

*I won’t actually do that, but you get how sure I am.

• davemclaren locked this topic