Jump to content
Swanny17

Guitar help

Recommended Posts

Swanny17

Hi folks,

 

I’m thinking of learning to play guitar and I’m in the market for a decent beginners acoustic guitar and I’m not sure where to start.

 

I have quite small hands, and a skin graft of my left hand so it’d need to be quite soft strings and thinner neck I guess. Yamaha seems to crop up a lot but it’d be good to get some advice before purchasing.

 

Happy to spend £200-£300 pound for one.

 

Any suggestions/recommendations? 
 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kila

Learn an electric instead. They tend to have slightly slimmer necks and strings are a thinner gauge so a lot easier on the hands and fingers. Acoustics tend to be strung with thicker strings, though some prefer thicker strings on an electric too depending on what sound they go for.

 

You could also drop the tuning down half a note/step (for every string) to Eb (E flat), that way each string tension is that little bit loser. Buy a chromatic tuner though. Quite a lot of rock bands and guitarists drop down to Eb (see https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1096278).

 

When I learnt the guitar I just wanted to start learning songs. Didn't bother about what each note or chord actually was at first. Then once I learnt enough songs, the chords started to stand out more, and the theory made sense. Plenty stuff on YouTube covering basic chords but I'd go for a tutorial that teaches you a song instead and doesn't focus on each particular piece of notation. Make it fun, learning a song right away is more of an achievement than knowing from the beginning what C, D and G are. You'll learn that anyway the more you play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swanny17
46 minutes ago, kila said:

Learn an electric instead. They tend to have slightly slimmer necks and strings are a thinner gauge so a lot easier on the hands and fingers. Acoustics tend to be strung with thicker strings, though some prefer thicker strings on an electric too depending on what sound they go for.

 

You could also drop the tuning down half a note/step (for every string) to Eb (E flat), that way each string tension is that little bit loser. Buy a chromatic tuner though. Quite a lot of rock bands and guitarists drop down to Eb (see https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1096278).

 

When I learnt the guitar I just wanted to start learning songs. Didn't bother about what each note or chord actually was at first. Then once I learnt enough songs, the chords started to stand out more, and the theory made sense. Plenty stuff on YouTube covering basic chords but I'd go for a tutorial that teaches you a song instead and doesn't focus on each particular piece of notation. Make it fun, learning a song right away is more of an achievement than knowing from the beginning what C, D and G are. You'll learn that anyway the more you play.

 


Thanks bud! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
Posted (edited)

I agree, don't get an acoustic unless you really really want one and prefer the sound. The strings will cut through you like butter (bit of an exaggeration).

 

These seem to be getting high praise for the price of them...and at £99 quid you won't feel as bad if you lose interest!

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180802330692008--eastcoast-gt100-black-mn

 

You'd probably be better with a full package including amp etc mind you. Squires are a bit more reliable £249

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180629329159008--squier-pack-affinity-series-strat-hss-candy-apple-red

 

Fender play is still doing 3 months free to help with learning. 

https://try.fender.com/play/playthrough/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200409_PlayThrough_1M&utm_term=fender&src=email15DT040920pt&smtrctid=a4d9b7d9-0b65-4d43-9f11-e59cf76395e4&c3ch=email&c3nid=20200409_PlayThrough_1M

Edited by Space Pirate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
Posted (edited)

Aye Id agree with kila go for electic although in my opinion accoustics are nicer to play and toughen up your fingers much better- you could always use nylon strings.

 

Anyhow electrics... no point in an axe without an amp etc. Squier used to do a beginners starter pack which included the Strat, decent 10 or 15w amp, cables, tuner, couple of plecs for about 150 all in which is all youll need to get going at home.

 

Theres some here....

 

https://www.gear4music.com/Fender/Squier-Guitar-Packs?page=1

 

Id disagree about learning chords though. Learn an A, D, C, E and youll be flying in no time. Its crazy how many great tunes are only those chords. There is masses on line- just find something that suits your own pace.

 

Start with something simple- even just a nursery rhyme and the minute you play something you recognise and sounds like what your trying to play you'll fly!

 

Good luck.

 

🤘

 

 

Edited by been here before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kila
Posted (edited)

Think of getting a cheap electric starter kit to start with. The sound of the guitar is less of an issue until you can reliably hit the sweet spot on each string and are able to start getting a bit more tone or fatness. A beginner will make even the most high end guitar sound awful, and a capable player make a cheap guitar sound good.

 

For £113, you can get this copy of a Fender Stratocaster with amplifier, stand and tuner: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RockJam-Electric-Guitar-Superkit-Strings/dp/B01MRI3920

 

Oh and don't forget a bunch of plectrums too. Buy a mixed set of thickness, as that plays a key role in the overall tone and sound once you get good enough. Brian May used to play with a sixpence, which helped make his/Queen's sound so unique.

 

Edited by kila

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
On 10/04/2020 at 12:48, Space Pirate said:

I agree, don't get an acoustic unless you really really want one and prefer the sound. The strings will cut through you like butter (bit of an exaggeration).

 

These seem to be getting high praise for the price of them...and at £99 quid you won't feel as bad if you lose interest!

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180802330692008--eastcoast-gt100-black-mn

 

You'd probably be better with a full package including amp etc mind you. Squires are a bit more reliable £249

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180629329159008--squier-pack-affinity-series-strat-hss-candy-apple-red

 

Fender play is still doing 3 months free to help with learning. 

https://try.fender.com/play/playthrough/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200409_PlayThrough_1M&utm_term=fender&src=email15DT040920pt&smtrctid=a4d9b7d9-0b65-4d43-9f11-e59cf76395e4&c3ch=email&c3nid=20200409_PlayThrough_1M

 

Cheers for the heads up re that guitar. Been after a cheap telecaster for pissing about on, ordered it. Should come Tuesday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Cheers for the heads up re that guitar. Been after a cheap telecaster for pissing about on, ordered it. Should come Tuesday. 

 

Nice one, let me know what you think of it. 

Might get one myself at that price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kila

Where are the Les Paul fans?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
16 minutes ago, kila said:

Where are the Les Paul fans?

 

Here. 

Sold my last one for over a grand. 

Can't afford another one. Ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
Posted (edited)

Can't decide between an acoustic or an electric?

 

 

Edited by Space Pirate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

 

Nice one, let me know what you think of it. 

Might get one myself at that price. 

 

Will do.

 

Not much of a 6 string player so probably can't give much in the way of a review. I'm sure it'll more than good enough for blasting out a few tunes in the house though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06

Also signed up to Fender Play, looks pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Will do.

 

Not much of a 6 string player so probably can't give much in the way of a review. I'm sure it'll more than good enough for blasting out a few tunes in the house though.

 

If it stays in tune and the intonation isn't out, Magic. I'll be getting one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

 

If it stays in tune and the intonation isn't out, Magic. I'll be getting one. 

 

That I can let you know 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
Posted (edited)
On 10/04/2020 at 11:26, Swanny17 said:

Hi folks,

 

I’m thinking of learning to play guitar and I’m in the market for a decent beginners acoustic guitar and I’m not sure where to start.

 

I have quite small hands, and a skin graft of my left hand so it’d need to be quite soft strings and thinner neck I guess. Yamaha seems to crop up a lot but it’d be good to get some advice before purchasing.

 

Happy to spend £200-£300 pound for one.

 

Any suggestions/recommendations? 
 

Thanks! 

Do you want to learn music? Cos guitars are complicated compared to a keyboard, for learning music. IMO

 

If you want to play guitar, do you want to make acoustic guitar sounds, or electric guitar sounds. Either way, a decent entry level cost is like £150? (maybe a bit more if you want an electric guitar amplifier). £200 will take you beyond the most basic crap stuff. 

 

Dunno if you are Edinburgh based, but Scayles Music, just up from the old Odeon on South Clerk Street, is a nice shop. 

They have a good range of instruments.

Go in there*, say what you said, and they will let you try stuff. 

They always seemed like a friendly group of people. 

 

 

*when going to shops like that in person becomes an option again.

Edited by Zlatanable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
Posted (edited)

As some of you already know, over the last 2-3 weeks I've been looking to find the best electric guitar i can get for as little money as possible. 

I'd narrowed it down to about 4 but this was the one that did it for me early doors, purely down to how it sounded in youtube videos and the type of music i was looking to play. 

Anyway, i'm rambling. 

This is the guitar i'm going for, and yes, it's a 3 quarter scale guitar for bairns! 😂

£136 https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/jackson-js1x-rr-minion-amaranth-fb-satin-black

 

Here it us up against a full scale £2500 guitar for pros!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Space Pirate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate

Here it is again without any editing going on. 

4:10 in. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jamboj

Got an Ibanez PC18 acoustic arriving tomorrow, £160 from guitarguitar.

 

My first guitar, though I play bass a bit. Really looking forward to it, as Bhb said above, I'll be learning a small number of chords and playing songs, cant be bothered with theory. Bar chords and a capo will be my friends, i think.

 

Been playing bass for 3 years and honestly I couldn't tell you much theory at all. I dont know where each note is on each string. But I can play (reasonably well) 5 pixies songs, 5 credence songs and another 10 -15 others,  including heard it through the grapevine which I found pretty tough. Lack of theory hasn't hindered the fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
1 hour ago, jamboj said:

Got an Ibanez PC18 acoustic arriving tomorrow, £160 from guitarguitar.

 

My first guitar, though I play bass a bit. Really looking forward to it, as Bhb said above, I'll be learning a small number of chords and playing songs, cant be bothered with theory. Bar chords and a capo will be my friends, i think.

 

Been playing bass for 3 years and honestly I couldn't tell you much theory at all. I dont know where each note is on each string. But I can play (reasonably well) 5 pixies songs, 5 credence songs and another 10 -15 others,  including heard it through the grapevine which I found pretty tough. Lack of theory hasn't hindered the fun! 

 

Brilliant. There's nothing better than knowing that there's a new guitar on it's way to you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate

@jamboj

 

What do you mean by theory? 

I can read tabs but that's about it. 

People hum and ho at metal players but they all know the feckin theory! All the guys that look like they're mental as **** , long hair etc. They're all geeks. haha. 

I think you need to learn all the scales to be a great player and that's something i haven't done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
On 11/04/2020 at 20:12, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

That I can let you know 👍

 

Has it arrived yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Takis4king

I have been trying to teach myself for a while and get a lot of satisfaction out of learning a 4 chord song, nothing complicated. The one thing I could do with help on is strumming patterns, anyone have any good methods or point me somewhere that could help me improve that aspect? Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
40 minutes ago, Takis4king said:

I have been trying to teach myself for a while and get a lot of satisfaction out of learning a 4 chord song, nothing complicated. The one thing I could do with help on is strumming patterns, anyone have any good methods or point me somewhere that could help me improve that aspect? Cheers

 

Hmm,  tap your knuckles on a desk. make a beat, rap rap da rap. 

speed it up. 

Switch it up, rap rap, dar rapp rapp, 

come up with loads of beats and then make them as strums on a guitar. 

Rap rap da rap rap, down up down up down. 

 

That probably made no sense.  😂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
2 hours ago, Takis4king said:

I have been trying to teach myself for a while and get a lot of satisfaction out of learning a 4 chord song, nothing complicated. The one thing I could do with help on is strumming patterns, anyone have any good methods or point me somewhere that could help me improve that aspect? Cheers

Do you mean rhythm?

 

I know pop/rock usually is in 4/4 time, 4 beats in a bar.  The first beat is most important,  and sometimes 3rd beat is there, but slightly less important.

Reggae is noticeably different , it has the beats on the 2nd and 4th beats. 

 

I can't play other peoples music on instruments, because I am not very good at following music.

And on guitar, I am better with my right hand, strumming, than my left hand, fingering. (Which is an amusing sentence.)

 

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question in any way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Takis4king

Thank you for the help guys, much appreciated. Both very helpful. Being honest, the guitar has been a god send during this time, can lose myself for hours in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

 

Has it arrived yet?

 

Has it ****!!!! DPD were meant to be deliver it yesterday, and going by their updates it's not reached the Edinburgh depot yet.

Guitar Guitar have been decent, refunded my next day delivery fee straight away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Takis4king said:

I have been trying to teach myself for a while and get a lot of satisfaction out of learning a 4 chord song, nothing complicated. The one thing I could do with help on is strumming patterns, anyone have any good methods or point me somewhere that could help me improve that aspect? Cheers

 

Have a look at Fender Play, 3 months free. They go into strumming patterns on the couple of videos I watched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Has it ****!!!! DPD were meant to be deliver it yesterday, and going by their updates it's not reached the Edinburgh depot yet.

Guitar Guitar have been decent, refunded my next day delivery fee straight away.

 

That's shit. 

 

Pretty sure it's free next day delivery  with orders over 99 quid. Should have bought some plectrums or something. 

Not that it matters now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
Just now, Space Pirate said:

 

That's shit. 

 

Pretty sure it's free next day delivery  with orders over 99 quid. Should have bought some plectrums or something. 

Not that it matters now. 

 

They must have pulled that offer, I bought a tuner and cable taking it over 99 but there was no free delivery. Didn't mind paying the extra few quid but here we are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

They must have pulled that offer, I bought a tuner and cable taking it over 99 but there was no free delivery. Didn't mind paying the extra few quid but here we are...

Ah right. 

I've got a feeling I'll be waiting a while for mine. I ordered it from PMT down south because they had the cheapest price. I've been on their Facebook page and there's a lot of people moaning about not receiving their stuff, some of them have been waiting a month! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate

Just checked guitar guitar, they've changed it to orders over £199 for free delivery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Ah right. 

I've got a feeling I'll be waiting a while for mine. I ordered it from PMT down south because they had the cheapest price. I've been on their Facebook page and there's a lot of people moaning about not receiving their stuff, some of them have been waiting a month! 

 

Looks like it's on its way! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jackal

3 months free if there are still codes. No card details needed. Hope it helps someone.

 

https://try.fender.com/play/playthrough/?banner=PLAY_20200323.PlayThrough2020.Pencil.Shop

 

I have been trying to learn for ages and have bought both electric and acoustic. The electric is easier to play and I put light strings on it as well but I like the acoustic as well as it stretches your finger span just a little bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Looks like it's on its way! 

Christ, even I'm starting to get excited 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
10 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Christ, even I'm starting to get excited 😂

 

I've never been so excited for a pishy 99 quid guitar 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
32 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

I've never been so excited for a pishy 99 quid guitar 😂

 

Haha, 

Christmas has came early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
On 11/04/2020 at 20:11, Space Pirate said:

 

If it stays in tune and the intonation isn't out, Magic. I'll be getting one. 

 

Intonation seems spot on mate. Staying in tune...I'll let you know but all signs are good so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Intonation seems spot on mate. Staying in tune...I'll let you know but all signs are good so far.

 

Happy days. 

Aye, let me know how you get on with it. 

Run your hand up and down the neck, any sharp edges from the frets? 

Check the volume nobs, do you hear crackling when you turn them?

Did you get the black one with the black scratch plate? 

They've stopped doing that one now :( 

Definitely the nicest looking one imo. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

 

Happy days. 

Aye, let me know how you get on with it. 

Run your hand up and down the neck, any sharp edges from the frets? 

Check the volume nobs, do you hear crackling when you turn them?

Did you get the black one with the black scratch plate? 

They've stopped doing that one now :( 

Definitely the nicest looking one imo. 

 

 

Frets aren't the smoothest. 

 

No crackling.

 

Yeah black on black. Was that or the smashed avocado. Glad I went black now that I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Frets aren't the smoothest. 

 

No crackling.

 

Yeah black on black. Was that or the smashed avocado. Glad I went black now that I see it.

 

Sounds like you've got a rammer for the money. 

You can always smooth off the edges yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

 

Sounds like you've got a rammer for the money. 

You can always smooth off the edges yourself. 

 

No complaints for the money, definitely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

No complaints for the money, definitely. 

 

 

Upload a photo of it if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kila

Yes we need some guitar porn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06

Only negative I've discovered so far is the low E rattles a tiny bit on the 1st fret.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Only negative I've discovered so far is the low E rattles a tiny bit on the 1st fret.

 

Oaaft, that brings back memories. 

You have to deal with that sort of thing with budget guitars. 

Can't say i know how to fix that one. 

Bit of graphite pencil in the nut slot? 

Raise the action slightly on that string? 

Edited by Space Pirate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

 

Oaaft, that brings back memories. 

You have to deal with that sort of thing with budget guitars. 

Can't say i know how to fix that one. 

Bit of graphite pencil in the nut slot? 

 

It's nothing major tbh, I've only noticed it since turning the amp off as the wee one has gone to bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

It's nothing major tbh, I've only noticed it since turning the amp off as the wee one has gone to bed.

 

It does look very nice. 

 

Love a maple neck these days. 

Edited by Space Pirate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Pirate

Great song to learn on the guitar. Reasonably easy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...