Roald Jensen At Tynecastle 1965

bobskeldon

John mcCartney

Thats a great bit of footage,is that at Mcleod st Bob ? will be wont it ?
Just checking out the buildings where the school is now.Thats a yard and the  tenements at the top corner opp Tynecastle Arms.The dwellings in the background with the balcony is still there.I worked in one of the ground floor flats last year.

Roald having a good old chuckle with his fan club.

Edited by John mcCartney

Just now, John mcCartney said:

thats a great bit of footage,is that at Mcleod st Bob ? will be wont it ?
Just checking out the buildings where the school is now.Thats a yard and the  tenements at the top corner opp Tynecastle Arms.The dwellingsin the background with the balcony is still there.I worked in one of theground floor flats last year.

Roald having a good old chuckle with his fan club.

It is there John, right outside the Main Stand. 

avhudtheteeshirt

He usually attended reserve games at Tynecastle if no first team games on, on many occasions he sat along from me at the back of the stand.

He was always up for nurturing the young players, and would gladly talk about how well certain young players were shaping up.

Pity his shot hit the post against Killie that day. It would have changed our history. 

I thought the world of Roald Jensen a very talented player and as seen in the video an easy going and popular player. 

That goal at Celtic Park was out of this world. 

Francis Albert

I remember his goal at Parkhead in the 2-O win beating one of the top sides in Europe at the time.

Question ..

Has there ever been a foreign Hearts player as renowned in his own country as RJ? From reaction to the mention of his name decades later from Norwegians I met I doubt it.

Shame the brutality of the Scottish game back then did him no favours.

Great bit of film. I was that age and Hearts getting a foreign player was a huge deal. He was a brilliant player. As good as Jimmy Johnston if not better. I was there too when he got that amazing goal at Parkhead.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

The Scandinavians were awesome!

Roald Jenson;

and then the legendary;

Rene Moller  

Rene Moller was my favourite..  not at Hearts long enough.  Always remember him in the 6-5 game at Tannadice in the Cup where scored twice

My older brother has spoken that he was a great player and yes also Rene moller .Not so many players from across the seas in those days.

J.T.F.Robertson
7 minutes ago, RENE said:

Rene Moller was my favourite..  not at Hearts long enough.  Always remember him in the 6-5 game at Tannadice in the Cup where scored twice

Was there that day. The craziest game ever.

1 hour ago, RENE said:

I was not at that game. Dundee were beaten at home by Rangers in Dundee on the same day!

In the next round (Q final) I was at the replay vs Rangers at Tynecastle. Hearts beat Rangers 1-0, a Donald Ford goal. He scored it at the school end late in the game. I was in the North Wing Stand near the corner, (think I still have the ticket stub!) so the goal was right in front of me. Donald Ford going past (I think) Ronnie McKinnon and scoring is one of the best goals I’ve ever seen Hearts score. Never went to the semi vs Morton but was at my first cup final when we lost to Dunfermline!

7 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I was not at that game. Dundee were beaten at home by Rangers in Dundee on the same day!

In the next round (Q final) I was at the replay vs Rangers at Tynecastle. Hearts beat Rangers 1-0, a Donald Ford goal. He scored it at the school end late in the game. I was in the North Wing Stand near the corner, (think I still have the ticket stub!) so the goal was right in front of me. Donald Ford going past (I think) Ronnie McKinnon and scoring is one of the best goals I’ve ever seen Hearts score. Never went to the semi vs Morton but was at my first cup final when we lost to Dunfermline!

I was still singing when I got home to East Kilbride 2 1/2- 3 hours later.  One of my best nights at Tynecastle.  Could hardly move at the school end.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, RENE said:

I was still singing when I got home to East Kilbride 2 1/2- 3 hours later.  One of my best nights at Tynecastle.  Could hardly move at the school end.

I was too young to go to such a big game as the Rangers replay. I remember being allowed to stay up, on a school night, waiting for the Scotsport highlights to come on.

The highlights duly came on, and 0-0 after 90 minutes. Then old Arthur comes on and says that the film of the extra time is still being driven along the road from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and they won’t be able to show those highlights until much later that night. Just as me and my brother think we are going to be stuck in limbo until the next morning’s paper turns up, Arthur further tells us that there was a goal scored in extra time, and it was Donald Ford who scored it.

Much jubilation and off to bed.

I was 12 that night and as I was singing leaving the school end, an ‘adult’ (I use the term very loosely) stuck chewing gum on my head meaning quite a severe hair cut!!!!

Worth it though to have been there that night.

Francis Albert
22 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I was too young to go to such a big game as the Rangers replay. I remember being allowed to stay up, on a school night, waiting for the Scotsport highlights to come on.

The highlights duly came on, and 0-0 after 90 minutes. Then old Arthur comes on and says that the film of the extra time is still being driven along the road from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and they won’t be able to show those highlights until much later that night. Just as me and my brother think we are going to be stuck in limbo until the next morning’s paper turns up, Arthur further tells us that there was a goal scored in extra time, and it was Donald Ford who scored it.

Much jubilation and off to bed.

Assume you are referring to the 68 QF replay against Rangers. It didn't I think go to extra time. As I recall Ford scored in the 87th minute of normal time, leaving a few minutes remaining and injury time to suffer. I had a great view from behind the goal. One of Donald's best. Perhaps old Arthur was saying the whole film was delayed en route.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Assume you are referring to the 68 QF replay against Rangers. It didn't I think go to extra time. Ford scored in the 87th minute of normal time, leaving a few minutes remaining and injury time to suffer. I had a great view from behind the goal. One of Donald's best. Perhaps old Arthur was saying the whole film was delayed en route.

Correct FA, late winner with no extra time.

Scottie Wanshot.
18 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

loved Jensen and loved him scoring at Celtic Park when we beat them 2-0 back in 1968

I was there, who was the other guy that played alongside him.

Scottie Wanshot.
12 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

The Scandinavians were awesome!

Roald Jenson;

and then the legendary;

Rene Moller 

very good players.

Scottie Wanshot.
11 hours ago, RENE said:

that game is on you tube

Scottie Wanshot.
11 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Was there that day. The craziest game ever.

I was there too, the referee was shocking that day.

scott herbertson

Great piece of film

I'mm not in it though I did hang out at the entrances looking for autographs - I have the whole team in a book somewhere in the house here/

Scottie Wanshot.
19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Assume you are referring to the 68 QF replay against Rangers. It didn't I think go to extra time. As I recall Ford scored in the 87th minute of normal time, leaving a few minutes remaining and injury time to suffer. I had a great view from behind the goal. One of Donald's best. Perhaps old Arthur was saying the whole film was delayed en route.

yes your correct, last couple of minutes.

been here before
14 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

And can anyone translate the text?

Cant help you there but any language (presumably Norwegian in this case) that can produce a sentence such as...

"Han hadde fart, finter og driblekunster".

...is probably well worth learning.

maroonsgotop
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I got in early and was right on the wall behind the goal where Ford scored. I was on my own and there didn't seem to be any other Hearts nearby. Luckily the Rangers fans I was next to were really nice. Gave me sweets etc and I had no hassle. Even got a good luck after we scored. What a night seeing the swaying crowds at the Gorgie end and lots of people sat round the track. From memory Rangers had only lost once that season and Sir Alex Ferguson was playing up front for them and it was a real shock that we beat them. One of my favourites

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Memory failing me then. Probably would have gone to another replay without extra time. Not sure when extra time was brought in for Scottish Cup replays.

But the memory of them not having enough of the match to show the goal is sound. They must have sent their courier along with the film they had to get the show started, then didn’t get the rest through until later.

54 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

I got in early and was right on the wall behind the goal where Ford scored. I was on my own and there didn't seem to be any other Hearts nearby. Luckily the Rangers fans I was next to were really nice. Gave me sweets etc and I had no hassle. Even got a good luck after we scored. What a night seeing the swaying crowds at the Gorgie end and lots of people sat round the track. From memory Rangers had only lost once that season and Sir Alex Ferguson was playing up front for them and it was a real shock that we beat them. One of my favourites

I was 12, on my own and also behind the goals at the school end when DF scored that night. However, I might have started at the Gorgie end and despite the massive crowd managed (as a skinny wee laddie) to change ends at half-time!

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Memory failing me then. Probably would have gone to another replay without extra time. Not sure when extra time was brought in for Scottish Cup replays.

But the memory of them not having enough of the match to show the goal is sound. They must have sent their courier along with the film they had to get the show started, then didn’t get the rest through until later.

The game was held up for a good while because fans spilled onto the pitch due to overcrowding so Scotsport would have had to wait for a while to get their film and develop /edit it. I was about 15 at the time and our supporters bus was delayed getting home and I didn't get back till about 12 o'clock. Just in time to see Arthur introduce the goal as my Maw and Da were up waiting for me! My maw was frantic as she'd heard there was crushing at the game and when i didn't get back at the normal time she feared the worst!

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

I was 12, on my own and also behind the goals at the school end when DF scored that night. However, I might have started at the Gorgie end and despite the massive crowd managed (as a skinny wee laddie) to change ends at half-time!

😄

I used to cut out pictures from the newspapers and ambush the players and get them to sign them then glue them into a scrap book. What I wouldn't do to find them along with my autograph book but probably in landfill somewhere sadly. As an aside player's signatures were beautifully written back in the day not like the scribbles my Grandson collected recently. I could only make out the ones who wrote their squad number alongside their mark. 

On 28/03/2020 at 17:26, maroonsgotop said:

loved Jensen and loved him scoring at Celtic Park when we beat them 2-0 back in 1968

Was there that day as well mate. We even had a goal disallowed! Scary 3 goals for at Darkheid. Jensens goal was stunning as he was almost on the bie line. Fantastic footballer IMO his only failing was hitting the post at Tynie in the final game against Killie if he scored we would have have the 1965 league title.

3 minutes ago, ollie2004 said:

Was there that day as well mate. We even had a goal disallowed! Scary 3 goals for at Darkheid. Jensens goal was stunning as he was almost on the bie line. Fantastic footballer IMO his only failing was hitting the post at Tynie in the final game against Killie if he scored we would have have the 1965 league title.

Dinnae get me started on the if only we had round posts it would have went in again 

12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You are spot on Franny

Just watched the 1968 cup final highlights ..... Roald Jensen was subbed and Rene Moller was his replacement!

colinmaroon
16 hours ago, ollie2004 said:

And he did have a tendency to beat players running across the pitch.

On 28/03/2020 at 17:26, maroonsgotop said:

Was there. No segregation in these days. Our bus was pelted with bricks......!

12 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Just watched the 1968 cup final highlights ..... Roald Jensen was subbed and Rene Moller was his replacement!

Rene scored our only goal.......👍

maroonsgotop
31 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Was there. No segregation in these days. Our bus was pelted with bricks......!

Was on The Manor but can't remember our bus getting attacked although it was the norm back then

28 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

John lunn

Deflected a shot from Rene Moller into his own net!

i had to wait until 1976 to see my first Hearts Cup Final goal by a Hearts player! Shuggie Shaw!