Looking for a laptop...

Zaba

Pretty hopeless with this so hoped someone might point me in the right direction.

Looking for a laptop. Doesn’t need to be anything spectacular, Just want to be able to play FM, watch programmes, use the internet, write emails etc.

What are the key spec that I should be looking for? 

Cheers (maybe)

You should be looking for a time machine to go back to yesterday when electronics/computer shops were still allowed to be open.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

You should be looking for a time machine to go back to yesterday when electronics/computer shops were still allowed to be open.

PMSL.

I’ve bought a laptop. 

Hp envy quad core thing. Refurbished model, waiting for it to be delivered but looks decent. 

I got a refurbished gaming laptop from laptop direct. About 500 and its like new. An acer nitro. Well worth a look if you don't mind a refurb

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, jamboy1982 said:

I’ve bought a laptop. 

Hp envy quad core thing. Refurbished model, waiting for it to be delivered but looks decent. 

Where did you end up going to for it?

21 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Where did you end up going to for it?

Got it off eBay from gold tech computers. Arrived this afternoon and running really well 

• 9 months later...
31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Does anyone have other positive or negative experiences of reconditioned laptops?

Wife and I sharing one isn't working now that I'm working and she's studying full time. 

Quite happy to buy a reconditioned one with no OS as I'll be sticking Linux and/or Elementary OS on it anyway.

Any recommended sites for buying reconditioned laptops? 

I've bought a pile of refurbs for work.

How much you looking to spend?

Dell outlet have good deals and they come with full warranty.  All I bought from them were in perfect condition.  I think they are mostly business returns etc...

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/dfh/shop/dell-refurbished/cp/outlet

These guys are decent too if you aren't looking for a Dell.

https://itzoo.co.uk/collections/cheap-laptops-tablets?sort_by=price-ascending

Edited by Lovecraft

I’ve had my refurb for almost a year now and it’s running well. Had no issues whatsoever. Although I only use it for football manager. 

definitely be buying another refurb laptop next time. More bang for your buck

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just a wee update on my previous post.

Didn't bother buying one in the end. Just got a SSD from Crucial for £30 and fitted it myself. I'm neither practical nor tech-minded, but managed to do it in about about 45 mins without destroying the machine. The eight year old machine now boots into Linux Mint in about 20 seconds. Happy with that, and would recommend to anyone to give Linux a try. 

Yup.  If you have a laptop that's under.... say 6 or 7 years, whacking an SSD drive in it for about £25 will completely sort it out.   The CPU power isn't the problem for a run of the mill internet browsing/general use laptop.  You most probably don't need a new laptop unless something is physically broken.

I have sorted out tons of older laptops for people.  Also work laptops.  

Anyone looking to upgrade their laptop probably just needs a new SSD drive and a Windows scrub, or as Jonesy says, Linux.

Edited by Lovecraft

3 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Yup.  If you have a laptop that's under.... say 6 or 7 years, whacking an SSD drive in it for about £25 will completely sort it out.   The CPU power isn't the problem for a run of the mill internet browsing/general use laptop.  You most probably don't need a new laptop unless something is physically broken.

I reckon I agree with this. I "replaced" my 6 year old laptop a few months ago mostly for convenience (size and flexibility).

My old one had slowed down a lot and was hard work for a bit but it had never ever been rebooted. After a reboot it's like new and is a great workhorse at home (it does have a SSD). 

• 2 years later...