Has your day to day life been this affected before?

Jambos_1874

Jambos_1874

I cannot think of one thing in my lifetime that has fundamentally affected my day to day life (or will soon) more than the Coronavirus. You often hear of natural disasters occurring in other countries, such as the bushfires in Australia, or Ebola outbreaks in west Africa or war in Syria etc but Scotland is a pretty quiet part of the world, fortunately, and we are rarely/never subjected to such things at a national or even local level. I remember Grangemouth being blockaded when I was at school meaning there was a fuel shortage and the school bus didn't run, but that is about the most "inconvenient" thing to happen which materially impacted my/the general public's life. I really do wonder how people will get through this and I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be for people in Syria to live through what they do. When climate change really starts to affect our day to day life and it is too late to do anything, I wonder whether it will just suddenly hit people how bad the situation is, much like now.

Edited by Jambos_1874

annushorribilis III

Us old guys who lived through the "3 day week" of the 70s.

Fuel rationed, no elec (a few hours a day max), massive lay offs. I was only a teenager and it was  a shit time  but we knew we'd get through it. Now I'm 60 now and I don't have any faith in this govt  I'm looking around at friends & family genuinely wondering who's not going to make it. 

So, yeah my life has been more disrupted but I've never been this worried. 

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I cannot think of one thing in my lifetime that has fundamentally affected my day to day life (or will soon) more than the Coronavirus. You often hear of natural disasters occurring in other countries, such as the bushfires in Australia, or Ebola outbreaks in west Africa or war in Syria etc but Scotland is a pretty quiet part of the world, fortunately, and we are rarely/never subjected to such things at a national or even local level. I remember Grangemouth being blockaded when I was at school meaning there was a fuel shortage and the school bus didn't run, but that is about the most "inconvenient" thing to happen which materially impacted my/the general public's life. I really do wonder how people will get through this and I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be for people in Syria to live through what they do. When climate change really starts to affect our day to day life and it is too late to do anything, I wonder whether it will just suddenly hit people how bad the situation is, much like now.

A fair whack of the occupants of this rock have had to put up with things we can hardly imagine, me included.

Climate change will at least give mankind a certain timespan to react, (not that we will) this is something else.

Even my local has closed. (of their own volition) We'll consider ourselves exceedingly fortunate if that's our only problem.

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

52 minutes ago, Del Monty said:

What did it change for you?

Genuine question.

Probably the same as this virus is doing, it's making me think of my own mortality. 

My son was in Primary 1 at the time of Dunblane and it hit hard, Lockerbie was just something that never happened in Scotland like the op said and brought terrorism to our doorstep.

The Glasgow airport terror attack had a similar effect.

These events definitely changed my outlook on life, I may not think about them every day but like 9-11 they are never far away.

The 3 week volcanic ash cloud had a severe impact on tourism which severely impacted my business but at least there was rough time scales to go by and we knew that it would eventually disappear. Was tough but I will probably fall into severe debt this time if time scales and the severety are to be beleived

Foot and Mouth had a bigger effect on my work, couldn't get onto sites anywhere, sat having a cup of tea now waiting on an ecologist, it's certainly seens ti be hitting the City and towns harder than the countryside.

The Real Maroonblood

3 day working week in 1974 imposed by the government due to the miners strike.
As my house only had electricity supplied we had to stay with family.

Can’t remember how long it lasted.

Forgot all about it until this thread appeared.

I believe in fate, so always knew something like this was going to happen. The world is over populated. If war or famine isn't going to kill us all off, then it may as well be coronavirus.

Say What Again
7 minutes ago, jim747 said:

No effect on my daily routine as yet, matter of time though, my weekly shopping however, bloody nightmare.

Same for me just now.

Get up and come to work as normal, as does everyone else in the building. We have one guy off who's 'self-isolating' but he's an absolute chancer and nobody expected him here as soon as CV reached Italy. In fact, we all expected he'd have an Aunt who'd just flown back from Northern Italy and popped in to visit him, the week before he went off.

It's pretty annoying trying to do a shop, but so far, that's all that's changed for me.

So far.....

Edited by Say What Again

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, jim747 said:

No effect on my daily routine as yet, matter of time though, my weekly shopping however, bloody nightmare.

1 minute ago, Say What Again said:

Same for me just now.

Get up and come to work as normal, as does everyone else in the building. We have one guy off who's 'self-isolating' but he's an absolute chancer and nobody expected him here as soon as CV reached Italy. In fact, we all expected he'd have an Aunt who'd just flown back from Northern Italy and popped in to visit him.

It's pretty annoying trying to do a shop, but so far, that's all that's changed for me.

So far.....

The OP is asking for any previous experience of your life being affected.

Asides from making my work busier than ever it hasn't really impacted me much thus far. Kids are still at school, i'm still going to work and the gym I train at is just a storage unit me and a group of mates have kitted out so I can go there as normal too. I might eventually run out of toilet roll I guess.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Asides from making my work busier than ever it hasn't really impacted me much thus far. Kids are still at school, i'm still going to work and the gym I train at is just a storage unit me and a group of mates have kitted out so I can go there as normal too. I might eventually run out of toilet roll I guess.

Have you been affected before?

highlandjambo3

I’m fortunate (or unfortunate) to have spent 25 years in the army, so I have been to all the bad places you see on the tv and see the very worst conditions people have had to endure including myself.  I lived in Sierra Leone for a year in a bamboo hut, hole in the ground toilet and, a man made water tank supply gravity fed, no power etc......but as previously mentioned, we in the UK are very isolated from the badness & disasters all around us.  My reality check was made clear years ago when I returned home from the first gulf war, I had to sit on the floor of the train in between carriages from Cambridge to Edinburgh as all the seats were reserved, I was in the desert 2 days previously......I looked around and decided at that point I would no longer use the word “great” in Great Britain (gen....I never have since).  Most 10-18 year olds would normally find it very difficult having no phone signal 😀 fek knows how they will cope with this.......we’ve already seen the pant wetting panic buying...... god knows what will be next but one thing is certain......there will be some of the biggest most selfish arseholes appearing with a me me me attitude  

50 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just by things like injuries or family events that have impacted my ability to physically do things for a period of time (rather than world events) or by bad weather like snow impacting my ability to travel certain places and being stuck at home for a couple of days. Otherwise not really...

OP was asking for a comparison of when your life has been this badly affected and my point is it hasn't really been affected right now

With regard to the OP’s question, I reckon that the only thing that has come as close to changing my life, has been 9/11.

This current one however is going to be on a far greater scale.  It has already done so in quite a few ways.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

TRM - lucky you. I remember nobody would touch corned beef for a while!

It was a Saturday job.

IIRC it took ages for people to start buying it again. 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I believe in fate, so always knew something like this was going to happen. The world is over populated. If war or famine isn't going to kill us all off, then it may as well be coronavirus.

Indeed, we have become too good at prolonging life, medical conditions that would have killed tens/hundreds of thousands maybe even millions are now treatable, and as a consequence that has added to the huge over population of the planet, mother nature was always going to address this issue, it was only a matter of time before something came out of nowhere to feck us up.

I do recall the three day week in the 70s.

My brother only had to attend school (secondary) for 3 days but I (primary) had to keep going for all 5 :(

Also recall fuel ration books about the same time and the sheer horror for my Dad of petrol going up to 50p a gallon. 

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Anyone else remember this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Aberdeen_typhoid_outbreak

This caused quite a stir when Fray Bentos corned beef was found to be the source.

I was only 4 at the time so I don't remember it.

The consequences of it for me was that my mum was paranoid about buying any mis-shapen tin.can of anything.

She still bought Fray Bentos steak pies & corned beef though.😢

Say What Again
6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The thread title asks "Has your day to day life been affected like this before"

Both my answer, and the other you quoted, said our lives haven't really been affected so far.

They both seem perfectly reasonable replies.

I’ve just left the office and will be home working for as long as necessary. I choose to work in the office, despite it costing me £200 per month for the train. It feels surreal leaving and not knowing when I’ll go back. Weeks, months.........

7 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

7 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yes, the point of the OP has clearly been missed slightly, although I can sort of understand some of the responses.

Edited by Morgan

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, the point of the OP has clearly been missed slightly, although I can sort of understand some of the responses.

I agree.

I’m cantankerous not a perfectionist.😉

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I agree.

I’m cantankerous not a perfectionist.😉

Can't argue with that.  :whistling:

How're you doing, btw?

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Morgan said:

Can't argue with that.  :whistling:

How're you doing, btw?

Not bad considering my age.

A few health issues.

What about yourself?

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Not bad considering my age.

A few health issues.

What about yourself?

Aye, ok thanks.

Been a weird day as France went to lockdown from 12.00 o'clock.

Streets and shops were mobbed first thing then sort of a ghost town for the rest of the day. Only allowed out for food shopping, visits to the chemist and bank, exercise and dog walking for the next 15 days. 

We don't have a dog, so that's one excuse out the window.  :lol: 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Aye, ok thanks.

Been a weird day as France went to lockdown from 12.00 o'clock.

Streets and shops were mobbed first thing then sort of a ghost town for the rest of the day. Only allowed out for food shopping, visits to the chemist and bank, exercise and dog walking for the next 15 days. 

We don't have a dog, so that's one excuse out the window.  :lol: 

Glad your fine.

Being in lockdown must be a bit surreal.

Take care.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Glad your fine.

Being in lockdown must be a bit surreal.

Take care.

Very.

Take care yourself.  

I was in the RAF when the Falklands War kicked off. Sounds stupid but it made me realise I needed to leave as I didn’t want to fight in a war for a government I didn’t believe in. Stayed in till I was 21 then left. Changed the course of my life 

Nope, this is new. My work is in lockdown mode and I'm now homeworking for the foreseeable future. Sounds good in theory, however not being able to go out and hang out with friends is going to make this get old FAST.

Malinga the Swinga

Three days in to a minimum period of 14 working from home and I am dreading remainder. Sitting looking at laptop 8 hours a day with very little contact with colleagues is not ideal. I reckon I am looking at 3 months of this and can't say I would ever want to do it again.

Seen panic buying before, and at least we have power and heating which hasn't always been the case. Discovered that watching sport is something I am rapidly not missing and am looking toward to getting into garden in Spring.

Would like new law brought in where if you see someone buying 20 packets of pasta or toilet roll, you are legally allowed to take stuff out their basket and beat them to death.

20 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I saw the downloadable PDF form you have to fill out if you are outside. And if you don't have that for, then what you say counts as your sworn testimony. 

I appreciate that from you.

Didn't know that.

Thank you very much, Zlatanable.  :thumbsup: