Scotland catching England.

Dave 1974

The nats will love that ;)

Call for a referendum on independence imminent. Maybe.

Scotland are ranked 16th in the World?

The biggest indication yet that the ranking system is a joke!

The nats will love that ;)

Surely the unıonısts wıll love ıt as well?

After all you dont have to belıeve ın ındependence to be a proud Scot do you?

Surely the unıonısts wıll love ıt as well?

After all you dont have to belıeve ın ındependence to be a proud Scot do you?

Although how much I disagree that we are anywhere close to the 16th best team in the world I still love being above England

This is however purely on a football basis

The Salmond bigot brigade* will see it as a step further towards independence

one upmanship!

But if I may just say John Motson GIRUY ya tool!

*thoughts of i8hibsh only

Although how much I disagree that we are anywhere close to the 16th best team in the world I still love being above England

This is however purely on a football basis

The Salmond bigot brigade* will see it as a step further towards independence

one upmanship!

But if I may just say John Motson GIRUY ya tool!

How could you forget Mark Lawrenson?

Guest Dipped Flake

Unless we have fantastic run of results in the World cup qualifiers I presume our ratiing will soon drop down again but good to see us only one place behind the 'mighty' england. Don't see how this has any bearing on Independence but if it did, so much the better.

The way that the rankings are worked out is a joke - although on recent performances you can't really argue that Scotland and England have been on quite a similar level.

The Old Tolbooth

Exactly, we should be much higher than that ;)

The way that the rankings are worked out is a joke - although on recent performances you can't really argue that Scotland and England have been on quite a similar level.

I'd go a step further than that and say based on recent results Scotland are on a higher level than England.

I'd go a step further than that and say based on recent results Scotland are on a higher level than England.

Not really convinced of that. Wouldn't say that England have been a great deal better, but the Euros did at least show that their results against Croatia and Russia taken in comparison with Scotland's results against France maybe weren't quite as embarrassing as people thought at first.

Not quite sure if that last sentence made perfect sense.

I imagine or ranking simply shot up after two FLUKE results against the French

Also, bizarrely, I think we actually gained a better ranking by NOT playing at one point ...........with the teams around us actually dropping away due to playing and getting poor results :wacko:

Not really convinced of that. Wouldn't say that England have been a great deal better, but the Euros did at least show that their results against Croatia and Russia taken in comparison with Scotland's results against France maybe weren't quite as embarrassing as people thought at first.

Not quite sure if that last sentence made perfect sense.

Yeah I know what you mean, but Italy & France's superior ranking is what we're measured against. Russia & Croatia could very well overtake the other 2 though if they continue to play like that....

I imagine or ranking simply shot up after two FLUKE results against the French

I don't agree they were fluke's at all, the Scotland gameplan worked, surely that is a credit to the players & manager rather than a fluke?! :confused:

I agree that the rankings are a bit odd, but nobody argued with them when Brazil, France & Italy etc were at No.1 so I don't see why the 15th & 16th positions should be questioned.

Yeah I know what you mean, but Italy & France's superior ranking is what we're measured against. Russia & Croatia could very well overtake the other 2 though if they continue to play like that....

Yeah, in terms of the coefficient I'd say that Scotland have definitely been better than England over the past year or two. Not so convinced that they've actually been better, though.

Agree that the results against France couldn't really be called flukes. Regardless of who plays for them (and they don't have as many "big names" as people think), France aren't a good team at the moment and I think that Scotland'd be in with a decent chance again - and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't really care either way about how Scotland (or any other international team, before one of my wee stalkers starts getting a hardon) get on.

Sergio Garcia

This France team that Scotland beat twice also beat the English, theres not much difference between the two teams at the moment!

tommythejambo

Spot on. We are absolutely guff.

Everyone on the team has a good work ethic etc. But I can only think of one player in our team who would get anywhere near England's starting XI, or any team above us for that matter.

getting a hardon

I thought we'd only hear such language from you when the man in your avatar is mentioned :P

Everyone on the team has a good work ethic etc.

Which is why certain Hearts supporters support certain Hearts players, because work ethic can go a long way to achieving success, as Scotland have begun to show.

Work ethic over skilful, but lazy, players for me any day of the week.

Everyone on the team has a good work ethic etc. But I can only think of one player in our team who would get anywhere near England's starting XI, or any team above us for that matter.

Isn't that the whole point of a team sport though!

A group of less gifted individuals can combine to be more than the sum of its parts

Conversely being a set of good individual performers is no guarantee of functioning well collectively. The interminable "Can Lampard and Gerrard work together?" articles in the English media highlight this perfectly.

jambohhearts2006

i hink is great new. the mighty english and their tar multi million pound players only one place above the likes of gary caldwell and cristian dailly!!! brilliant!!!!

Era Macaroons

The National team have been a joy of late.

Congratulations to them on the extremely high position.Bring on the Dutch.

It wasnt long ago we were 150 or somthing iirc

Boab Mugabe

The same rankings system that had Scotland down at 86th or something a few years back.

Scotland were nowhere near as bad as that then and are nowhere near as good as 16th now IMO.

Do The Dance

We have performed consitantly well against the 'big' teams over the last few years. Decent results against teams like France and Croatia show that we now have a team capable of playing in the group stages of a major tournament, IMO. Take Euro 2008 - we probably would have beaten teams like Greece, Austria, Switzerland and Poland. I also reckon we would have done well enough against teams like Sweden and Romania. With a reasonably favourable draw we could have qualified from a group.

Archived