Beslija says he can make impact at Hearts

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Beslija-says-he-can-make.4245040.jp

Published Date: 02 July 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

MIRSAD BESLIJA is one of Hearts' many unexplained enigmas.

Another, Mauricio Pinilla, departed Riccarton for the final time yesterday, his contract terminated after two years of collecting extravagant wages for little return. But such fate won't befall Beslija, who remains resolved to justifying his own ?9000-a-week salary. A fruitless year-long loan at the Belgian club Sint-Truiden ended in May and, with 12 months remaining on his Hearts contract, the club's record signing fronted up in Edinburgh for pre-season training last week.

Hardly unfamiliar with injury himself, Beslija is clinging to the hope that his body permits him the chance to finally demonstrate his talents next season. His appearances total to date is distinctly paltry for someone who cost ?800,000 to prise from Racing Genk two-and-a-half years ago.

The Bosnian has played for Hearts just 13 times with injury accounting for many of his absences ? although not all, as the player himself concedes during this exclusive interview.

Recent reports of Beslija's reluctance to spend another year at Tynecastle irked supporters already acerbated by their club's efforts in appointing a new manager.

Nonetheless, the player is now keen to stress that he will offer nothing less than steadfast commitment for the remainder of his contract.

"I hope to fight for my place in the team. I have only one year left and I want to either fight for a new contract or give something for the Hearts fans to remember me by as I feel that they haven't seen the best of me yet," said the 28-year-old.

"I like it here in Edinburgh and if a new contract was offered then I would love to stay, but I have to show the staff and the fans what I'm really capable of.

"I believe that I'm good enough to play in the team. I just have to keep working hard and hope that I can take my chance when it presents itself.

"It has been difficult for me and my family to adjust but injuries have been my real problem.

"I haven't been able to get a head of steam up and to push my way into the team.

"I hope that my injuries are behind me now. We are settled here in Edinburgh now so I hope that I can concentrate on football and finding my true form."

Morale, understandably, has been difficult to come by in Scotland, a situation not helped by the constant rotation of managers at Hearts.

When Beslija previously evinced glimpses of his breathtaking pace or useful crossing technique, what followed often shattered any momentum gained as Vladimir Romanov's senseless interference in team selection would see him dropped from the side.

The 4-0 victory over Dundee United in October 2006 offers a pertinent example of such erratic decision-making.

Beslija ravaged the opposing left-back Christian Kalvenes during his finest outing in maroon, providing a precise cross for Juho Makela's goal before his incisive dart into the penalty area earned a penalty from which Paul Hartley scored the third. In Hearts' next match, Beslija found himself relegated to the substitutes' bench as Andrius Velicka's intervention rescued a 2-2 draw against Hibs at Easter Road.

He remains diplomatic about the situation but recognises that more game time in the forthcoming season is essential to alter the public's perception of him.

"All managers work in different ways. It's up to me to take my chances and I would hope that this would be recognised by the manager," said Beslija.

"I did feel that, when I last got my chance, I played well and was dropped for no reason but you have to get on with it.

"All you can really do is work hard and concentrate on what you are doing yourself, not anything else.

"You hope that everything else falls into place."

Departing for Belgium last August, the intention was for a productive and spirit-lifting loan with Sint-Truiden.

Beslija's performances with Genk earned him an illustrious reputation across the country, and much of Europe, but once again the injury curse was lurking and his appearances last season barely reached double figures.

"I went back to Belgium to build up some form.

"Unfortunately, I got injured again and it hindered my progress. I would have preferred to have been back at Hearts playing for the first team but sometimes a change of scenery can create a new spark."

That ignition is still keenly sought after by the player.

Neither Saulius Mikoliunas, pictured, nor Larry Kingston convinced at right midfield for Hearts last season and it could be argued that the berth is Beslija's for the taking if he can capture the form which initially prompted Romanov to sign him.

The talk when he first sauntered into Tynecastle in January 2006 was of league titles and possible Champions League quests. The club's aims must be slightly more moderate two years down the line, however, displaying some welcomely bold intent, Beslija believes there is still worth in aiming high.

"I want to get a decent run in the first team and to be fighting for the league title," he said. "Hearts are a massive club and the fans deserve to be at the top of the league.

"I need to stay fit, prove that I am worthy of a chance and then to take that chance. I want to work hard and make it work here at Hearts.

"If a new contract was offered, then of course I would love to stay, otherwise I would have to go where clubs want me. I feel I still have a lot to give as a player."

In the context of his Hearts career to date, that much is not in doubt.

Walter Payton

Working on the basis that Pinilla was making similar noises last week, does that mean we can expect to lose Beslija from the wage bill in the next few days? Here's hoping...

Didn't he recently state that he hates Scotland, the weather was crap, he didn't like the football etc etc blah blah??

If he's offered a new contract he's living in a bubble if he thinks it'll be 9k a week again.

'Breathtaking pace'. All we needed was a reference to the 'Bosnian Bullet'!:rofl:

The funnies keep on coming.

As for the decent half against the worst Dundee United side I've ever seen ... what about his 'display' against Alloa where Ivaskevicius outplayed him!:rofl:

Another winner from the VR scouting files:rofl:

Didn't he recently state that he hates Scotland, the weather was crap, he didn't like the football etc etc blah blah??

Correct - along those lines anyway!!

Here's hoping he goes the same way as Pinilla.

If he's offered a new contract he's living in a bubble if he thinks it'll be 9k a week again.

You're right

He'd be offered ?10k, only for it to be reduced to ?2.5k a week just as he was about to sign.

Lets face it with 1 year left, whatever Beslija does in the first half of the season he will be consigned to the stands for the second half...

Tynecastle Valhalla

i never saw the alloa game but i saw most of the other games and he was very good. much better than any other right midfielder we have had in many years.

hopefully he gets a game this year as he was dropped for no reason as he rightly said.

as for the dundee utd worst team comment - they were a mid to bottom half spl side - you can only beat what is in front of you and he played well.

Captain Bubblebeard
i never saw the alloa game but i saw most of the other games and he was very good. much better than any other right midfielder we have had in many years.

hopefully he gets a game this year as he was dropped for no reason as he rightly said.

as for the dundee utd worst team comment - they were a mid to bottom half spl side - you can only beat what is in front of you and he played well.

Pretty sure he got carried off injured against Alloa.

:laugh:

What?

On topic, hope we get rid of him.

Jamboelite

I dont think anyone can make comment on him to be honest as we havent seen him have a run in the team.

He played well against Utd and was then dropped he is also challenging for a place in the team where Miko sits so his breaking into the team is severely hampered knowing the love of picking Miko before all others.

I'd happily give him the spot for the start of the season and see what he does with it.

All the opinions on him in Internationals and in Belgium cant be wrong he does have talent whether he is allowed to show it or we will see it is another question.

walton1983
Beslija is another injury prone waste of money.

As soon as we get rid the better!

Spot On. Costing Hearts a fortune with no return.

Just noticed that the first sentence of that article includes the phrase "unexplained enigma".

Is that as opposed to one of those easily explicable enigmas? :huh:

If we end up papping Larry out the door he would be beneficial to have in the team, as with Chesny and him we should have the RM position covered. Looked decent, but has a hell of a lot to prove.

Boab Mugabe

I can exclusively reveal that Beslija pulled his jaw muscle in that interview.

They reckon he's out for 7 years.

Gigolo-Aunt

If Miko can continue his after Christmas form, Bez will have a tough job gettig the shirt off him.

'Breathtaking pace'. All we needed was a reference to the 'Bosnian Bullet'!:rofl:

The funnies keep on coming.

As for the decent half against the worst Dundee United side I've ever seen ... what about his 'display' against Alloa where Ivaskevicius outplayed him!:rofl:

Another winner from the VR scouting files:rofl:

As much as I dispise the dictator, Besliga cannot be blamed on Romaknob. He was a Rix signing, and against Romaknob's wishes. Thus the long protracted transfer payment 'saga'

Also proves what a balloon Rix was.

Besliga can GTF as far as I'm concerned. Waster!

Seymour M Hersh
If Miko can continue his after Christmas form, Bez will have a tough job gettig the shirt off him.

If the love child doesn't bother his erse at all from the start of the season Bez will have a tough job getting the shirt off him!!!:mad:

Spot On. Costing Hearts a fortune with no return.

You could say exactly the same about Romanov

If the love child doesn't bother his erse at all from the start of the season Bez will have a tough job getting the shirt off him!!!:mad:

True. Some people can take it easy knowing no matter the effort, the fax will have their name in the starting eleven.

winston churchill

the only thing i can remember about the bosnian ivan sproule was.......... falling on his arse and gifting killie a goal at the gorgie road end.

How anyone here can have a firm opinion on this guy, one way or the other, defeats me. Like so many others driving up the wage bill, he has never had a chance to settle and prove his worth (or not)

Good luck Bes - you'll need it

Yet another knock at Romanov, quite right as well Bez.

You play well in fact really well in one game, in the normal world you play the following week.

Unfortunately our mad dictator only plays those rules if your Lithuanian.

Vlad + football = stupidity

MackaysCentreSpot
As much as I dispise the dictator, Besliga cannot be blamed on Romaknob. He was a Rix signing, and against Romaknob's wishes. Thus the long protracted transfer payment 'saga'

Also proves what a balloon Rix was.

Besliga can GTF as far as I'm concerned. Waster!

Who the feck is Besliga?

Pretty sure he got carried off injured against Alloa.

Mirsad Beslija was the victim of two cynical challenges, one which resulted in a set of studs in the face and the other, a crunching two footed challenge from Ovenstone. It caught Beslija on the knee and the scream from the winger could be heard by all.

The Mighty Thor
If Miko can continue to be Romanov's pet, Bez will have a tough job gettig the shirt off him.

Agreed. :)

MackaysCentreSpot

Also do not forget this.

Just when he was looking to get back from injury, a horrendous tackle (which he should have seen red for) by Falkirk's 18-year-old full-back Thomas Scobbie in the 40th minute left Beslija writhing in a crumpled heap in a reserve game in Nov 2006.

I do not think Beslija is injury prone. He has suffered from horrendous challenges which put him out of the game for long spells.

Who the feck is Besliga?

Mirsad Beslija was the victim of two cynical challenges, one which resulted in a set of studs in the face and the other, a crunching two footed challenge from Ovenstone. It caught Beslija on the knee and the scream from the winger could be heard by all.

If I remember rightly the facial injury was caused by terrible tackling technique by Besijla who basically tried to tackle the opponent with his face.:eek:

Archived