St Johnstone can't maintain wage bill

CJGJ

St Johnstone have "over-egged" their spending on players and are unable to sustain what is a top-six wage bill, admits chairman Steve Brown.

The Scottish Premiership club have been criticised for giving Old Firm fans three stands at McDiarmid Park.

However, Brown says heavy losses have forced the hand of the Perth outfit.

"We're in danger of being hypocrites because we have been outspoken in living within your means," he told BBC Scotland before the draw with Rangers.

• "This year we're not going to do that, which is disappointing to say the least. I think our wage bill is the sixth in the league, which is far too high. We can't sustain that.

"We went for it at the start of the season - we thought we could get into the top six and have a cup run but we just haven't performed and that leaves a huge financial gap and concerns.

"We have got reserves, so unfortunately this year we will be hitting them in a big way and posting heavy losses, which is not good."

St Johnstone's form has picked up in recent weeks, having lost just once in their last seven league games to move them clear of relegation trouble and to within five points of the top six with a game in hand.

In January, manager Tommy Wright was outspoken about a lack of signings and had to quell claims of a "divide" between himself, Brown and new head of football operations Kirsten Robertson.

"I still get on with Tommy. Tommy's Tommy," Brown said. "He just gets frustrated. I spoke to him on the Sunday and he was a completely different guy.

"Kirsten got a bit of stick, which was a bit unfair. Her remit was to reduce the wage bill so she is just doing her job.

"The manager wants more and more players in but he is not all that concerned about getting players out. That's just football at the end of the day."

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• jambocub

• gashauskis9

• luckydug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Were saints and there fans not quick to help us when we were in trouble? Cash collections for us? Money from tickets? Maybe we should remember this. I could be totally wrong though.

Unreal. Top 6 wage bill when they have really low numbers in home support.

sold their souls to the old firm as well because of it.

Edited by 1971fozzy

4 minutes ago, steveo654 said:

Were saints and there fans not quick to help us when we were in trouble? Cash collections for us? Money from tickets? Maybe we should remember this. I could be totally wrong though.

Was it not caley thistle like yourself I may be totally wrong but I'm sure caley done something to help us

I said this on a different thread earlier in the year. I stayed in Auchterarder over New year, there were two Celtic buses dropping people off one night. St J stadium is 10 minutes down the road. Mental

I think the other interesting part of the interview is...

'The manager wants more and more players in but he is not all that concerned about getting players out. That's just football at the end of the day."

You can see why January was a difficult month and players were sold/moved on

Perhaps Wright will be off in the summer

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

He's the chairman so why is he complaining about it? Surely he could have prevented that being the case? 

He's explaining why the club have sold their soul to the old firm.

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

He's explaining why the club have sold their soul to the old firm.

and trying to cover for the poor planning because they planned for top 6 and cup runs. and as we all know cups runs are unpredictable, just look at us we have been poor for most of the last two season yet we have made one final and two other semis and could make another semi/final this year

So instead of clubs living of what they can generate through their own fans and business, and finding themselves at a level which matches their turnover, it’s what? Time to sell three quarters of your stadium to OF fans and get in to financial problems by signing players you can’t afford? 

We were “cheats” for spending out with our means, I look forward to Stuart Cosgrove and all the BBC Scotland boys’ views on what this makes St Johnstone.

If they can’t maintain the wages for the position they have held for the last few seasons, then they need accept that, and either get themselves in financial shit pretending they are a top six club, or spend what they can afford and accept they aren’t really a top six club.

14 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

I said this on a different thread earlier in the year. I stayed in Auchterarder over New year, there were two Celtic buses dropping people off one night. St J stadium is 10 minutes down the road. Mental

Just one of many towns that this happens.

Corstorphine, Edinburgh, one leaves from the centurian pub:(.

Edited by Harry Potter

Fort Vallance
2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

So instead of clubs living of what they can generate through their own fans and business, and finding themselves at a level which matches their turnover, it’s what? Time to sell three quarters of your stadium to OF fans and get in to financial problems by signing players you can’t afford? 

We were “cheats” for spending out with our means, I look forward to Stuart Cosgrove and all the BBC Scotland boys’ views on what this makes St Johnstone.

If they can’t maintain the wages for the position they have held for the last few seasons, then they need accept that, and either get themselves in financial shit pretending they are a top six club, or spend what they can afford and accept they aren’t really a top six club.

They aren't and never have been a top six club. They had a wee period in the 70's when they had a decent side. If they're honest the move out of town killed them. Watch out Aberdeen.

Just now, Fort Vallance said:

They aren't and never have been a top six club. They had a wee period in the 70's when they had a decent side. If they're honest the move out of town killed them. Watch out Aberdeen.

I know, just waiting to see if they get the same treatment as we did when we were spending out with our means. Maybe it’s different with cute and cuddly wee clubs like St Johnstone though. 🤷‍♂️

23 minutes ago, steveo654 said:

Yes. They donated part of the ticket price/booking fee to Hearts for the game in Perth early on that season. 

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, Juanjo said:

Yes. They donated part of the ticket price/booking fee to Hearts for the game in Perth early on that season. 

Indeed they did. We really shouldn’t forget that. There are lots of things to get angry about in Scottish football, St Johnstone ain’t one of them IMO

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Indeed they did. We really shouldn’t forget that. There are lots of things to get angry about in Scottish football, St Johnstone ain’t one of them IMO

They can do as they please. Good on them for helping us out. If they are ever in the shit through their own overspending, then I would expect us to reciprocate.

At the end of the day though, them overspending is no different to when we did it, and I expect the press to treat it as such.

been here before
23 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I think the other interesting part of the interview is...

'The manager wants more and more players in but he is not all that concerned about getting players out. That's just football at the end of the day."

You can see why January was a difficult month and players were sold/moved on

Perhaps Wright will be off in the summer

Aye, thats the bit that stood out for me too. Curious club St Johnstone. Well run, established in the top league, usually top 6ish, relatively good cup team,one team town, ground pretty easy to get to, recent cup win...

...but no-one in Perth really seems to care.

St Johnstone helped us but we help them every time we play at McDiarmid. 

1. Give them points

2. Sell out

We owe them nada.... until we are safe from relegation

7 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

As long as everyone gets paid what they are due then there is no story here 

Correct.

They aren’t overspending or borrowing....they’re simply having to use money they set aside for a rainy day.

They’ll make a loss this year but aren’t in any trouble.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Pretty well run club. 

They will continue to reduce the wage bill and the manager can like it or lump it. 

That's the statement 

Weakened Offender
59 minutes ago, steveo654 said:

You are correct. 

Dagger Is Back
30 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

They can do as they please. Good on them for helping us out. If they are ever in the shit through their own overspending, then I would expect us to reciprocate.

At the end of the day though, them overspending is no different to when we did it, and I expect the press to treat it as such.

But it’s not the same as us is it? They’re going to post a loss but they have money in the bank to cover it.

They’re not going to stiff anyone for monies due.

41 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Giving 3 stands to the rangers today 🤢 **** them 

Imagine being a St Johnstone season ticket holder, getting moved out of your seat and watching that mob fill three quarters of your ground. Morally bankrupt little club. 

Governor Tarkin
40 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Agreed.

They're not going bust ffs. 

They've overspent. Will spend the next 2/3 seasons correcting it. Might get lucky with a couple of player sales. 

The fact he's acknowledge it shows there will be an effort to fix it.

43 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Baffling response to two entirely different scenarios.

SomethingAboutObua

Interesting enough and glad they're explaining their recent criticisms-like the 3 stands/no player additions, but all he's doing is pretty much telling the fans they will probably be bottom 6 next season and they have their spending reviewed and under control. Good move to let their fans know this early on I expect? 

10 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

But it’s not the same as us is it? They’re going to post a loss but they have money in the bank to cover it.

They’re not going to stiff anyone for monies due.

Good on them. Afterwards you would assume they will cut their cloth to their means, and that will affect their ability to finish as high up the league. They will be able to afford a bit more by selling three quarters of their stadium to Celtic and Rangers four times a season though, so that will help.

The majority of our debt came from having  to find the money to build an all seater stadium, something St Johnstone didn’t have to worry about thanks to the generosity of a rich supporter. Hopefully their crowds don’t drop any further, and they don’t accrue debt.

Good luck to them, but they will need to decide whether or not to continue making that loss, or spend what a club with their size of crowds can afford in future.

55 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

:spoton:

SectionDJambo

I have a belief that if a club can, it should sell seats to punters who want to go to a match. It makes no sense to lock people out who would have paid to get in. The fans are the life of the game, even the annoying ones. The only exception would be if they constantly caused security problems by their numbers.

So I don’t see the problem in selling what they feel isn’t going to be taken up by home fans to Celtic and Rangers. If St Johnstone fans don’t like that, the blame lies with the locals who don’t support the club financially. 

It’s the same at Tynecastle. If we can’t sell part of the Roseburn to Hearts fans, it makes no sense to turn away cash from away fans who want to go along. There are issues with the behaviour of the Glasgow 2 at Tynecastle, though, which if they can’t be sorted, should cause a restriction in their numbers.

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Agreed.

8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I have a belief that if a club can, it should sell seats to punters who want to go to a match. It makes no sense to lock people out who would have paid to get in. The fans are the life of the game, even the annoying ones. The only exception would be if they constantly caused security problems by their numbers.

So I don’t see the problem in selling what they feel isn’t going to be taken up by home fans to Celtic and Rangers. If St Johnstone fans don’t like that, the blame lies with the locals who don’t support the club financially. 

It’s the same at Tynecastle. If we can’t sell part of the Roseburn to Hearts fans, it makes no sense to turn away cash from away fans who want to go along. There are issues with the behaviour of the Glasgow 2 at Tynecastle, though, which if they can’t be sorted, should cause a restriction in their numbers.

Totally disagree. I believe no club should ever sell more tickets to away supporters than to its own support. Opinions though, I suppose.