St Johnstone can't maintain wage bill

CJGJ

Re tickets to Rangers and Celtic, we do similar though not on the same scale when we give them the entire school end.  Just saying.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• jambocub

• gashauskis9

• Dallas Green

29 minutes ago, Haken said:

Re tickets to Rangers and Celtic, we do similar though not on the same scale when we give them the entire school end.  Just saying.

aye.

Could've seen it coming tbh. Paying wages for May who was at Aberdeen, and Jason Holt, albeit maybe not all as I'm sure he's on loan? Weren't they reportedly trying to bring in Jason Cummings too?

Must be a bit frustrating for these clubs. Saints are not really out of place in the top flight and have had some good seasons, but ultimately, finishing 8th or 9th is the best they could realistically achieve every season. Can't fault them for aiming a bit higher, but this is the risk you take, as we all know.

35 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Didn't Budge give Sevco over 9K tickets when we were at Murrayfield?

How quickly some forget.

Cant remember the exact figure that we sold to the Huns, it certainly wasn’t more than to Hearts fans though.

The Treasurer
13 hours ago, Juanjo said:

Yes. They donated part of the ticket price/booking fee to Hearts for the game in Perth early on that season. 

Yes but they put the ticket prices up so in effect we were paying the "donation" that they gave us.

38 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

How quickly some forget.

9k represents just under 15% of the Murrayfield capacity.  They get 3.5k at Tynie which represents 17.5%.  I didn’t have an issue with Murrayfield at all as we sold double that.  

50% is the tipping point for me because after that it ceases to be a home game.  There’s a difference between giving more tickets to pad out capacity and giving a team 3/4s of your stadium. 

1 hour ago, Nelly Terraces said:

How quickly some forget.

Did we give them 3/4 of Murray field???? Stupid comparison 

14 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Just one of many towns that this happens.

Corstorphine, Edinburgh, one leaves from the centurian pub:(.

That dump used to be crawling with Hibees.  Strange bunch the lot of them.

How quickly some forget.

What a horrendous comparison to make.

Murrayfield holds 65,000, so getting 9,000 of that means they got about 15%. 

McDairmid Park holds about 11,000 and they've been getting 3 full stands, so probably around 6,000. That's more than 50%!

Edited by Batistuta87

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, Haken said:

It’s not similar at all, the Roseburn has been the away stand for 20 years. The only teams which sell it out are Rangers Hibs and Celtic. It’s purpose built as an away stand with segregation.

Nelly Terraces
30 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

McDairmid Park holds about 11,000 and they've been getting 3 full stands, so probably around 6,000. That's more than 50%!

Gasp!! Oooooh the scandal!:lol:

Seems like good business by Saints then. Genuinely amazed anyone with even half a financial brain cell would fail to realise this. 

50 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Murrayfield holds 67,000 and McDiarmid park 10,000. Think the home stand at Perth holds 3,000. Also thought we gave the Huns about 12,000 tickets cor Murrayfield.

Don't mind giving Huns and Tims the whole School End just hate their IRA/UVF songbook.

31 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Seems like good business by Saints then. Genuinely amazed anyone with even half a financial brain cell would fail to realise this. 

Whilst we are sitting her having a good laugh at these "diddy" clubs (currently 13 points ahead of us), we are conveniently forgetting to ask why we are missing 10k Hearts fans from that Murrayfield meeting.

3 hours ago, Haken said:

If we gave them (say) half of the school end we would have to leave empty a dividing section which equates to a loss of revenue.  It is much safer and simpler to police if they have the whole end.

Personally I think this has contributed to fewer incidents within the ground and also helps police with crowd control before/after the match.

Mid Calder Jambo
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

They said on the telly that they got 6500.  I thought that it would be more than that.

Mid Calder Jambo
2 minutes ago, Coco said:

It is odd that St Johnstone who have been the best run of all Scottish clubs took a punt like this.  While almost all other clubs punted on players Geoff Brown ran the club within its means.  They were the model small club.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-st-johnstone-chief-geoff-brown-3573638

This statement is an admission that they are breaking any finacial fair play rules.  I know that it is not on the same scale as Man City but either way this statement is "bringing the game in to disrepute"

14 hours ago, JCR said:

That’s everywhere. I’ve seen hundreds of Celtic fans waiting for the train into Glasgow at Hamilton West (besides Hamilton’s ground) as Hearts were coming in to play Hamilton. 

The Edinburgh-Queen Street trains on Old Firm v Hearts game days all have dozens of people on them who are clearly Edinburgh born and bread but have Rangers/Celtic season tickets. 

The train back to Edinburgh after the final last season was like a Celtic charter. Was disgusting to say the least. 

11 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

They said on the telly that they got 6500.  I thought that it would be more than that.

Probably about right tbh. McDairmid Park holds about 11,000 so I'd guess 4,000 in the main stand, the one opposite is slightly smaller so maybe 3,000 or so in there, and 1,500 - 2,000 at each end behind the goals. Total guess of course but I think the main stand is very slightly bigger than the one on the other side, and that the 2 stands behind the goals are pretty much the same.

Edited by Batistuta87

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

How quickly some forget.

Big difference though surely?? Murrayfield wise.

I'd sooner they had only 1 section of the stand when they come visit but if we cant sell out the rest theres no point throwing money away.

They have no choice. 

The people who run the club are only doing what has to be done to maintain the competitiveness of the club. 

They do a terrific job under the circumstances. 

The real problem is the unhealthy OF/EPL mentality in Scotland. 

People don't have any loyalty towards their Town/ Club anymore. 

They just want to associate themselves with a winning team. 

Why do you think half of Scotland seems to be Liverpool 'supporters' these days. 

2 hours ago, WaikatoJambo said:

That dump used to be crawling with Hibees.  Strange bunch the lot of them.

Was my 1st pub , 4 pints on a thursday, (pay day), was a member of the Hearts bus there.

My big brother was a hobo that drank there, lol :lol:

3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

How quickly some forget.

It was 14,000

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It was 14,000

Correct out of a crowd of 33000.

That left around 19000 Hearts fans. 

Not sure where the poster Nookie Bear

is getting that we are down 10k on that game now. 🤔

6 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The Rangers have a similar problem and it doesn't seem to bother them very much ☺

Nobody wants to chuck their money at St. Johnstone for it only to be turned into worthless shares though 😂

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Whilst we are sitting her having a good laugh at these "diddy" clubs (currently 13 points ahead of us), we are conveniently forgetting to ask why we are missing 10k Hearts fans from that Murrayfield meeting.

I would say it’s because the manager at that point failed to get us performing to our potential, and we experienced a prolonged decline in performances and results. Since then the interim manager and new manager have also failed to address that decline.

Feel this is a little off topic though.

1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

Nobody wants to chuck their money at St. Johnstone for it only to be turned into worthless shares though 😂

One man comparatively did far more for them than that a good few years ago. He bought their land and demolished their stadium, sold the land to Tesco, and gifted them new land and paid for them to build a stadium there. 

It was a wonderfully benevolent thing to do. A lot of clubs got in to real dire straights dealing with the stadium rules that he helped them deal with. Us included.

GorgieFifeLife
5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

One man comparatively did far more for them than that a good few years ago. He bought their land and demolished their stadium, sold the land to Tesco, and gifted them new land and paid for them to build a stadium there. 

It was a wonderfully benevolent thing to do. A lot of clubs got in to real dire straights dealing with the stadium rules that he helped them deal with. Us included.

Asda.  They certainly were spared a lot of cash allowing them to proclaim regularly about how they can live within their means when a lot of other clubs cannot.

2 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Asda.  They certainly were spared a lot of cash allowing them to proclaim regularly about how they can live within their means when a lot of other clubs cannot.

Was it? Sorry, ASDA then. They won a watch with that particular deal, and I don’t grudge them it. Would have been nice for all the non-OF clubs with aspirations to function at top league level to have been the beneficiaries of such generosity.

Its definitely something that needs to be considered when we talk about how well run they are however. Many clubs their size had to do things the hard way, and some are now only just getting back on their feet. Some have been in and out of admin to meet the regulations.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

GorgieFifeLife
13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'd take Jason Kerr off them. The boy Ali McCann in Midfield isn't a bad player either. 

Kerr is a raging Hobo. He may turn into a decent player but miles away from that at moment.

Nucky Thompson
8 hours ago, Haken said:

Aye, it's the same thing as having a 10k stadium and giving away 75% of it and having a 20k stadium and giving 3.6k 

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Asda bought their old ground and the farmer gave them the land the new stadium is now built on for free.

The farmer didnt buy their old ground, sell it to Asda or pay for the build of the new stadium.

Donating the land, however, was a very generous thing to do. Especially since farmlands that grow produce are quite expensive.

6 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Asda bought their old ground and the farmer gave them the land the new stadium is now built on for free.

The farmer didnt buy their old ground, sell it to Asda or pay for the build of the new stadium.

Donating the land, however, was a very generous thing to do. Especially since farmlands that grow produce are quite expensive.

I genuinely thought he paid for the build of McDiarmid, as well as gifting them the land. I stand corrected. 👍

Just now, Special Officer Doofy said:

I genuinely thought he paid for the build of McDiarmid, as well as gifting them the land. I stand corrected. 👍

Aye, just the land but as I say still a massive help for the club. As you say, many clubs were forced into debt to make all seated stadiums. The cards most definitely fell in their favour.

1 minute ago, Dallas Green said:

Aye, just the land but as I say still a massive help for the club. As you say, many clubs were forced into debt to make all seated stadiums. The cards most definitely fell in their favour.

Indeed, and I certainly do not begrudge them it.

Falkirk, Airdrie, Partick nearly went to the wall dealing with that particular problem. the bulk of our debts that nearly sunk is were for the same reason, I think?

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dundee United replacing Hamilton in the league would help them. 

In all honesty, would it though? Not being wide here at all, but would it make much difference in terms of turnover?

37 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

In all honesty, would it though? Not being wide here at all, but would it make much difference in terms of turnover?

Depends on number of home games 

But Dundee United will take minimum 2,000. Hamilton?

Ideally the following season it would be Dundee replacing Livingston. 

Big Slim Stylee

Not getting the seethe. They’re an ok wee club.They’ve slightly over-reached - what we did is not remotely in their spectrum. It hasn’t worked out as planned but they have the money to cover. Nobody’s not getting paid, nobody’s getting stiffed.

TW will moan about lack of opportunity to progress. He had a shot, and it didn’t work out. He’ll maybe not get that leeway again.

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye, it's the same thing as having a 10k stadium and giving away 75% of it and having a 20k stadium and giving 3.6k 

I didn't say it was the same.  Try again.

On 23/02/2020 at 18:37, Harry Potter said:

Just one of many towns that this happens.

Corstorphine, Edinburgh, one leaves from the centurian pub:(.

There is a few through East Lothian , Tranent etc.

19 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Indeed, and I certainly do not begrudge them it.

Falkirk, Airdrie, Partick nearly went to the wall dealing with that particular problem. the bulk of our debts that nearly sunk is were for the same reason, I think?

Yeah, our three new stands caused the chunk of our debts I believe.

On 24/02/2020 at 10:32, Mid Calder Jambo said:

This statement is an admission that they are breaking any finacial fair play rules.  I know that it is not on the same scale as Man City but either way this statement is "bringing the game in to disrepute"

They're not breaking any financial fair play rules. 

On 25/02/2020 at 00:11, Harry Potter said:

Was my 1st pub , 4 pints on a thursday, (pay day), was a member of the Hearts bus there.

My big brother was a hobo that drank there, lol :lol:

Fair enough.  Sounds like the place has gone down hill since those days!

newyearsday97

Hi guys,

Been a few years since I posted on here, but I thought I'd offer some clarification from a Saintees point of view on this thread.  First of all we are not in any serious financial trouble - we've maybe overstretched the wage budget a wee bit this season, but we have enough in the bank to take a slight loss, reconfigure our budget and move on.  We certainly aren't in breach off any FFP rules.

As for the 3 stands to the Old Firm - our home fans don't turn out against the ugly sisters for various reasons (we regularly have less home fans in attendance than season ticket holders) so personally I can't blame the board for trying to maximise income from the mutants, especially if we're trying to claw back a wee bit of cash this season.

I've really enjoyed reading the view of you Jambos on this thread, some of you clearly know your stuff.  

I really hope you guys stay up, I love a visit to Tynie.  Best of luck for the rest of the season.

B