Hearts vs Arsenal - 1984

Guest Maroon Carpet

Guest Maroon Carpet

Anyone remember a friendly at Tynecastle in 1984 Hearts vs Arsenal, now this is from the top of my head, no checking google or anything, it was a Sunday if I remember, and we won 2-1 Walter Kidd scored one of our goals, and I think it was Paul Mariner that scored for Arsenal.

I remember when Mariner scored he let out a shout in English, and was subsequently booed.

I also seem to recall a heavy downpour of hailstones during this match, can anyone remember all of this?

Say What Again
we won 2-1 Walter Kidd scored one of our goals

I remember the game and Kidd scoring a peach - but wasn't the result was 3-2?

Guest Maroon Carpet
I remember the game and Kidd scoring a peach - but wasn't the result was 3-2?

Yeah, you could be right, who were the other scorers?

Was this match played in August that year, I had a feeling that it was played on April 15th 1984 the same day that Tommy Cooper died live on TV, perhaps not.

Anyone remember a friendly at Tynecastle in 1984 Hearts vs Arsenal, now this is from the top of my head, no checking google or anything, it was a Sunday if I remember, and we won 2-1 Walter Kidd scored one of our goals, and I think it was Paul Mariner that scored for Arsenal.

I remember when Mariner scored he let out a shout in English, and was subsequently booed.

I also seem to recall a heavy downpour of hailstones during this match, can anyone remember all of this?

Let out a shout in English? Whatever next

Say What Again
Yeah, you could be right, who were the other scorers?

Was this match played in August that year, I had a feeling that it was played on April 15th 1984 the same day that Tommy Cooper died live on TV, perhaps not.

Found it on London Hearts.

You were spot on with the date.

Other scorers were Jimmy Bone and Gary Mackay.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19840415.html

Guest Maroon Carpet

There used to be a site that you could find archive details etc, anyone know of it?

Ah, you just beat me to it, yeah that's the site I meant, thanks for finding it.

Also this confirms that it was indeed the same day as the passing of Tommy Cooper live on TV that night at around 8:20 pm.

We_are_the_Hearts

One of my early memories as a JT. Was in the old North Stand (N Upper now) and Kidd scored a peach at the school end. Sunny day with Arsenal playing in Yellow.

Guest Maroon Carpet

I noticed that it doesn't give the opposing team scorer details, but I am sure that Paul Mariner was one of them, and Rix is who jambovambo thinks scored their second.

Auld Reekin'

Paul Mariner could speak English?!?!?!? :eek:

It was more of a girly-shriek, as I remember, but he did get booed for it for the rest of the game, and rightly so. :)

Guest Tynie Bubbles

It was played on my 21st birthday.

I recall Arsenal fielded quite a few coloured players, who were roundly booed by quite a few Hearts supporters. I'm glad times have changed.

SuperPippo

My first ever Hearts match. Remember sitting on the crush barrier and getting knocked off it when Walter Kidd scored - if I remember correctly, bit of a screamer in the top corner.

Guest Maroon Carpet

It was more of a girly-shriek, as I remember, but he did get booed for it for the rest of the game, and rightly so. :)

Ah, it's all coming back to me now.......

was playing football that day but got in for the 2nd half. Charlie Nicholas paying for Arsenal as well.

Bootboy100

This was my 1st ever Hearts match and I vivdly remember giving Charlie Nicholas abuse of the highest order even though I was only 8!!

jambovambo
I noticed that it doesn't give the opposing team scorer details, but I am sure that Paul Mariner was one of them, and Rix is who jambovambo thinks scored their second.

I wasn't saying he scored ... I meant ... :eek: ... he was playing, as I remember.

Guest Maroon Carpet
Let out a shout in English? Whatever next

Ok, what I was trying to explain was the shout was more of a strong English tone that annoyed the fans at the time, lol

:rolleyes:

Guest Maroon Carpet
I wasn't saying he scored ... I meant ... :eek: ... he was playing, as I remember.

I thought you were answering the question on who the other Arsenal scorer was, and as it was right after the question I assumed it was directed at that.

Of course it could well have been Rix.

jambovambo
I thought you were answering the question on who the other Arsenal scorer was, and as it was right after the question I assumed it was directed at that.

Of course it could well have been Rix.

I know - sorry about that ... pretty sure he played tho'.

Not sufficiently motivated to research it however !

Guest Maroon Carpet

Anyone remember the heavy downpour of hailstones during the game though? just a small point however.

Stuart Gauld on the bench OMG!!!

Yeah I remember this match , I was 15 at the time. Stuart Gauld eh!? Matchstickman himself :o Signed himfrom Salvasens BC in 1980, left for Derry City in 1985, don't know what happened to him after that though

janie jones

No doubt will be slated by some on here but I used to really like Charlie Nicholas in those days (football wise I may add) so I went with a mate to Edinburgh airport to get his autograph before they left for London.

My main recollection was how huge most of the team were. IIRC David O'Leary played for them then and Lukic was their keeper and they were both giants.

No doubt will be slated by some on here but I used to really like Charlie Nicholas in those days (football wise I may add) so I went with a mate to Edinburgh airport to get his autograph before they left for London.

My main recollection was how huge most of the team were. IIRC David O'Leary played for them then and Lukic was their keeper and they were both giants.

Yes I do tend to remember how tall a lot of the English teams players' were, no matter who we played in friendlies back then

Anyone remember the heavy downpour of hailstones during the game though? just a small point however.

For some reason, I thought it was a blinding hot day. I was only 7 though, and substance abuse has not done my memory any favours. :confused:

lost in leith
It seems to have been wee Alex' first game in charge too ...

...against Arsenal :rolleyes: You know you can trust Mr Allan to get it right.

Archived