Jump to content
Old Blue Eyes

Royal Bank of Scotland

Recommended Posts

Old Blue Eyes

Fond memories of late 70's, going toe to toe with the bank manager to prove I was worthy of a £650 bank loan for a Maroon Ford Escort 1300 GT. None of your 1.3 pish.

 

Never missed a payment in ma puff...Fredrick Anderson Goodwin did.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back

Worked with RBS for 19 years. Was a great place to work in those years.

 

Made loads of friends that I still have today. Met the trouble and strife.

 

All ruined in my mind by the greed and inflated ego of one Fred Goodwin.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Blue Eyes
19 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Worked with RBS for 19 years. Was a great place to work in those years.

 

Made loads of friends that I still have today. Met the trouble and strife.

 

All ruined in my mind by the greed and inflated ego of one Fred Goodwin.

 

 

 

Iconic name/brand "The Royal Bank of Scotland" it was everywhere...what a waste.

 

Great the friendships are still maintained, every cloud eh?  Oh, and the wife...love it!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helzibob

Moved to England aged 17 and still have my branch down there in Greater Manchester. Does this mean my branch will be Nat West now? They’ve been threatening for years that I’ll have to stop banking with RBS and nowt has happened so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Blue Eyes
7 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

Moved to England aged 17 and still have my branch down there in Greater Manchester. Does this mean my branch will be Nat West now? They’ve been threatening for years that I’ll have to stop banking with RBS and nowt has happened so far. 

 

Aye, renaming  imminent allegedly. BBC business news.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helzibob
1 minute ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

 

Aye, renaming  imminent allegedly. BBC business news.

 

They've threatened this for years. The last one was as part of the government bail out, they were meant to sell all the English and Welsh branches, never happened. Maybe I should change to a Scottish bank though, seeing as I moved back up here 7 years ago. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Blue Eyes
5 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

 

They've threatened this for years. The last one was as part of the government bail out, they were meant to sell all the English and Welsh branches, never happened. Maybe I should change to a Scottish bank though, seeing as I moved back up here 7 years ago. 🤷🏼‍♀️

 

Scottish Bank? Clydesdale sounds good, but naw, that'll be Virgin Money. Halifax Bank of Scotland? nope, Lloyds . RBS/Natwest may have Brexit in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ

I think the branding on individual branches (the few they seem to have left...) will remain RBS, it’s the parent company that will change its name.  
So I suppose it’ll just be the sign outside global HQ Gogarburn that changes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo

I moved to NatWest years ago when my local RBS disappeared. 

Bigger question is are we still going to have stupid notes that aren't even legal tender in Scotland with RBS written on them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roxy Hearts
24 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I moved to NatWest years ago when my local RBS disappeared. 

Bigger question is are we still going to have stupid notes that aren't even legal tender in Scotland with RBS written on them?

Better than the stupid queen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Gentleman
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

I moved to NatWest years ago when my local RBS disappeared. 

Bigger question is are we still going to have stupid notes that aren't even legal tender in Scotland with RBS written on them?

B of E notes aren't 'legal tender' either....

https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Blue Eyes
7 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Not in Scotland. Only because Scottish banks produce their own stupid non legal tender ones.

 

Cash to buy morning rolls (family baker) no electronic/digital facility. The other places are the pub, they do have card facility's, but for some strange reason I still hand over cash and the Chinese take-away, been there for years, but still reluctant to offer card facility, they'll have their reasons. Everything else I buy is through electronic means. Cashless society in a couple of decades down the line, by then I might be to old to care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Diadora Van Basten

RBS would have been ok if it hadn’t bought ABN Amro as they were mostly funded by deposits prior to the take over. It is ironic that having successfully taken over NatWest and becoming a huge bank NatWest are now in a way taking over them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
12 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

 

Aye, renaming  imminent allegedly. BBC business news.

It's the Group name that's changing. RBS will still be a legal entity and their branches won't be getting rebranded and any account holders will continue to have RBS branded products. 

 

BoS is still a Scottish Bank, a Scottish legal entity and incorporated at Scotland Companies House with the Mound as its registered head office. They are in the LBG and were previously part of the HBoS group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Blue Eyes
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It's the Group name that's changing. RBS will still be a legal entity and their branches won't be getting rebranded and any account holders will continue to have RBS branded products. 

 

BoS is still a Scottish Bank, a Scottish legal entity and incorporated at Scotland Companies House with the Mound as its registered head office. They are in the LBG and were previously part of the HBoS group. 

 

Thank you for clarifying...👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobNox

Sounds like a simple re-branding exercise, as presumably the powers that be at RBS want a clean break from the negativity that surrounds the RBS name after the banking crisis.  Hoping everybody forgets that Nat West is just RBS under a new name.

 

I still wouldn't touch their shares with a barge pole, whatever they decide to call themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert
10 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

RBS would have been ok if it hadn’t bought ABN Amro as they were mostly funded by deposits prior to the take over. It is ironic that having successfully taken over NatWest and becoming a huge bank NatWest are now in a way taking over them.

Not really a takeover just rebranding. But Fred the Shred certainly did for RBS , the ABN Amro takeover being the final straw. 

The new boss of Nat West/RBS is saving a tiny fraction of her salary by being based in London so avoiding the higher tax rate for high earners in Scotland. Bankers are ever bankers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
30 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

 

The new boss of Nat West/RBS is saving a tiny fraction of her salary by being based in London so avoiding the higher tax rate for high earners in Scotland. Bankers are ever bankers.

Hardly. The cost of living will far outweigh the saving. That's as lifestyle choice, not a financial one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren

Had two spells with RBS. 1975 to 1989 as a bank clerk after leaving school and one year 2002/3 as a contract project manager. Fred’s ultimately ambition did for them though it was quite exciting see their badge in the US at the height of their powers. Scottish banking is not what it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert
36 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Hardly. The cost of living will far outweigh the saving. That's as lifestyle choice, not a financial one.

She was always going to live in London. The issue  is where she was based for tax purposes. Her predecessors were based in Edinburgh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlphonseCapone
13 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Not in Scotland. Only because Scottish banks produce their own stupid non legal tender ones.

 

Why does it bother you so much? It's only cash. 

 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Not really a takeover just rebranding. But Fred the Shred certainly did for RBS , the ABN Amro takeover being the final straw. 

The new boss of Nat West/RBS is saving a tiny fraction of her salary by being based in London so avoiding the higher tax rate for high earners in Scotland. Bankers are ever bankers.

 

Standard bank behaviour. Never pay their way. She'll no doubt be using other tax loopholes too. They all are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

She was always going to live in London. The issue  is where she was based for tax purposes. Her predecessors were based in Edinburgh.

If she was always going to be living in London then it would just be stupid to base herself in Edinburgh for tax purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

 

Why does it bother you so much? It's only cash. 

It's an oxymoron. The childish need for Scottish banks to print money with their own name on it has the flip side that they'd be as well handing out monopoly money.

 

Then there's the ignoramuses that take great offence when their Scottish notes aren't accepted on occasion in England. They can't see that the person their handing it to doesn't really know what the hell it is and giving it the benefit of the doubt opens them up to inadvertently accepting forgeries. 3 banks printing notes is ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It's an oxymoron. The childish need for Scottish banks to print money with their own name on it has the flip side that they'd be as well handing out monopoly money.

 

Then there's the ignoramuses that take great offence when their Scottish notes aren't accepted on occasion in England. They can't see that the person their handing it to doesn't really know what the hell it is and giving it the benefit of the doubt opens them up to inadvertently accepting forgeries. 3 banks printing notes is ridiculous.

 

Tbf monopoly money won't be accepted in shops in Scotland so it's not the same thing. 

 

I do agree it's a bit mental for 3 different banks to be printing notes, though I don't think about it that hard. They should come together and set up a Scottish mint, get prepared for Indy 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustinT
2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

 

Tbf monopoly money won't be accepted in shops in Scotland so it's not the same thing. 

 

I do agree it's a bit mental for 3 different banks to be printing notes, though I don't think about it that hard. They should come together and set up a Scottish mint, get prepared for Indy 😉 

A scottish groat. Yeh right pal. Try exchanging that for real money or spending it abroad, they'd laugh at you then chase you out. 

 

I don't think the separatists understand what they wish for. We're extremely lucky to be part of our island groups union, don't piss it away for the sake of diseased flag waving nationalism ffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DETTY29

In a union of 300 plus years, Scottish banks well over 200 years old issuing own notes and people a few miles away are ignorant of what they look like....

 

And we are told, suck it up, even by our own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
highlandjambo3

RBS up here has a note posted on the machines inside the bank “English notes available”.  As the staff tend to buzz around the floor these days helping customers, I asked one of them if the RBS based in England had Scottish notes.......didn’t get an answer but, I did get a look like horns growing out of my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marvin
On 14/02/2020 at 20:42, Dagger Is Back said:

 

All ruined in my mind by the greed and inflated ego of one Fred Goodwin.

 

 

 

Fred he shred, knighted in 2004 then knighthood annulled in 2012 for his part in the banking crisis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marvin
5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

RBS up here has a note posted on the machines inside the bank “English notes available”.  As the staff tend to buzz around the floor these days helping customers, I asked one of them if the RBS based in England had Scottish notes.......didn’t get an answer but, I did get a look like horns growing out of my head.

 

I should do that next time I visit the Bath branch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

In a union of 300 plus years, Scottish banks well over 200 years old issuing own notes and people a few miles away are ignorant of what they look like....

 

And we are told, suck it up, even by our own.

With 3 different fives, tens, twenties and fifties, and RBS issuing hundred pound notes is it any wonder? I'll be honest, even I don't know what they look like and if they're meant to be paper or plastic.

 

2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

RBS up here has a note posted on the machines inside the bank “English notes available”.  As the staff tend to buzz around the floor these days helping customers, I asked one of them if the RBS based in England had Scottish notes.......didn’t get an answer but, I did get a look like horns growing out of my head.

Quite a daft question really. They can be accepted as a discretion in England but you're not supposed to hand them out. As in as change or from a bank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
highlandjambo3
48 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

With 3 different fives, tens, twenties and fifties, and RBS issuing hundred pound notes is it any wonder? I'll be honest, even I don't know what they look like and if they're meant to be paper or plastic.

 

Quite a daft question really. They can be accepted as a discretion in England but you're not supposed to hand them out. As in as change or from a bank. 

I didn’t really see it as a daft question............I did really see it as a bit condescending though, as did many others I pointed it out to.......Unless you were of course heading down to England with a wallet full of Scottish cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, JustinT said:

A scottish groat. Yeh right pal. Try exchanging that for real money or spending it abroad, they'd laugh at you then chase you out. 

 

I don't think the separatists understand what they wish for. We're extremely lucky to be part of our island groups union, don't piss it away for the sake of diseased flag waving nationalism ffs.

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

In a union of 300 plus years, Scottish banks well over 200 years old issuing own notes and people a few miles away are ignorant of what they look like....

 

And we are told, suck it up, even by our own.

You get the same problems here If you try to give someone a Northern Ireland banknote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
53 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Unless you were of course heading down to England with a wallet full of Scottish cash.

Well yes, that's the very reason. In turn, there's no reason whatsoever to give out a Scottish note in England. You'll get less at a currency exchange with Scottish notes and you may get someone in England, Wales, and the channel Islands etc that don't want a note that is unfamiliar and has no legal standing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
Just now, Lemongrab said:

You get the same problems here If you try to give someone a Northern Ireland banknote.

I've used them plenty of times, here. It's the BoE notes that are dodgie. Funny Money!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Mackerel

Unionists even hate their own money now. :rofl:

 

What is wrong with their brains? Or lack of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DETTY29
47 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

You get the same problems here If you try to give someone a Northern Ireland banknote.

Fair point.

 

But really shouldn't be the case either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

Unionists even hate their own money now. :rofl:

 

What is wrong with their brains? Or lack of. 

I don't understand this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren

One of my great pleasures when I worked down south was ordering a round of drinks at the bar, offering a Scottish twenty, the bar person saying they can't accept it and me saying they best put the beer back in the cask as that's all I've got. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
superjack
9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

One of my great pleasures when I worked down south was ordering a round of drinks at the bar, offering a Scottish twenty, the bar person saying they can't accept it and me saying they best put the beer back in the cask as that's all I've got. 😎

Used to love doing that too. To be fair though, my local boozer and our naafi bar had no problem with them.

My other thing was, as scotland still used pound notes at the time, some busy pubs would mistake them for a fiver. Used to love getting 3 or 4 drinks and change from a pound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
franko1874
15 hours ago, JustinT said:

A scottish groat. Yeh right pal. Try exchanging that for real money or spending it abroad, they'd laugh at you then chase you out. 

 

I don't think the separatists understand what they wish for. We're extremely lucky to be part of our island groups union, don't piss it away for the sake of diseased flag waving nationalism ffs.

 

😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
39 minutes ago, superjack said:

Used to love doing that too. To be fair though, my local boozer and our naafi bar had no problem with them.

My other thing was, as scotland still used pound notes at the time, some busy pubs would mistake them for a fiver. Used to love getting 3 or 4 drinks and change from a pound.

I’m sure at some point the pound was valued at 19/6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban

It's just a bit of paper that says, it promises to pay bearer the sum on the said note. No notes of any kind are legal tender in Scotland, only the £1 and £2 coins(Except during the two wars).

Oh and for people to moan about Scottish notes is a bit off, considering they were the first Bank in Europe to issue notes. 80, yes 80 banks in Scotland have entered notes into our economy. So relax, it's only a bit of paper that most people honour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

It's just a bit of paper that says, it promises to pay bearer the sum on the said note. No notes of any kind are legal tender in Scotland, only the £1 and £2 coins(Except during the two wars).

Oh and for people to moan about Scottish notes is a bit off, considering they were the first Bank in Europe to issue notes. 80, yes 80 banks in Scotland have entered notes into our economy. So relax, it's only a bit of paper that most people honour.

This is probably the daftest thing about Scottish banks printing notes. "Let's let all and sundry print money and then we can have no legal standing bank notes at all". Clever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gjcc
4 hours ago, superjack said:

Used to love doing that too. To be fair though, my local boozer and our naafi bar had no problem with them.

My other thing was, as scotland still used pound notes at the time, some busy pubs would mistake them for a fiver. Used to love getting 3 or 4 drinks and change from a pound.


Nowadays you’ve hit the jackpot if you give over a fiver for one drink and the bar person doesn’t ask for more. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustinT
10 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I don't understand this post.

Don't worry over it, the nats only post immature gifs and forego grown up debate. They act like halfwits in order to avoid scrutiny. 

 

The only ones who are willing to debate serious issues are the UK Unionists who care about their currency, pensions, benefits, trade, security and defence, budgets etc etc etc. Better to ignore them and their childlike gifs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
11 hours ago, IronJambo said:

This is probably the daftest thing about Scottish banks printing notes. "Let's let all and sundry print money and then we can have no legal standing bank notes at all". Clever. 

One of the deals of the Union. Live with it. We need to live with the rest.

 

Are Scottish Bank cards and credit cards daft anaw. Do u accept them, or do we need to change to something more suitable for you. Do people outside of Scotland have bank accounts with these silly bank note printers. 

Anyway, why is it called the bank of England anyway?  And why should we use foreign notes, if you don't? And did a Scotsman not invent that place. Probably invented England anaw. Come to think of it, we invented everything!!!!!! Apart from Slaves, Apartheid and the Sewers. But I suppose you had build housing for Slaves and Scottish Unionists somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Mackerel
6 hours ago, JustinT said:

Don't worry over it, the nats only post immature gifs and forego grown up debate. They act like halfwits in order to avoid scrutiny. 

 

The only ones who are willing to debate serious issues are the UK Unionists who care about their currency, pensions, benefits, trade, security and defence, budgets etc etc etc. Better to ignore them and their childlike gifs.


I had my mortgage with a Spanish bank. 
You want to see my ISA’s and private pension fund, they’re invested globally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:


I had my mortgage with a Spanish bank. 
You want to see my ISA’s and private pension fund, they’re invested globally. 

Sh Mack, we're just Terrorists who want to destroy Britland by making Scotland even shiter, by giving Scotland it's independence and full powers to change our policies to suit the size of our country and protecting our people by not going into wars that we don't want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...