Jackie McNamara (NHC )

Selkirkhmfc1874

Diadora Van Basten
55 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Yes Brian, you just had to pop it in behind the centre halves and he was bursting onto it and banging it in the back of the net. Mind he scored a hat trick against tynie at forries all from through balls, beat them 4-0. Lovely guy too. Were you from out east lothian way? Did scatz the goalie play for you?

I ended up staying at salvy until the death, under 16s, think I was the only one to stay all the way through. Not sure when Tam left, maybe 15s. I maybe should have had a we change at some point. Got asked to go to Hutchie and tynie at under 12s but decided to stay. Tynie won the Scottish that year and we won nowt, apart from the Ayr tournament. Hutchie won the Scottish the next year! We had all the big names but maybe never blended as a team as well as we could. Think Jackie senior saw that and took Jackie away, he obviously knew what he was doing.

I trained with hearts, rangers, Dundee united and hibs up until 14s I think and Raith at 15s. Never had the right attitude to make it though, I never applied myself properly. Mind I played a game and Leeds were watching, they came back the next week and were asking if that was the same player they watched last week haha!

Somehow ended up at Falkirk at under 18s whilst playing for links utd. Played Dundee united at the old brockville in the bp youth cup and got beat 2-0, christian dailly and david hannah were playing for them. Dailly actually played centre forward, big Colin affleck our centre half was all over him, dailly went off injured and greeting! Beautiful greasy surface. Saw Paul sturrock sitting in the dugout, kept waiting for their left back to take a slightly heavy touch hit him with 2 or 3 old fashioned sliding tackles in front of sturrock. Came in at half time and Jim Jefferies came in and walked over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said "you're having a great game son" couldn't believe it, felt ten feet tall. Think he maybe could have sorted me out. Maybe. Anyway a few weeks later got the train through to brockville for training, place was in darkness, had been snowing a wee bit. No one had told me training was off and I took the huff and chucked it as I thought they didn't want me. Found out later they were going to offer me a yts!!

Anyway, that's the difference between the players that make it and the players that don't. You have to have the right attitude. Wee Jackie had it in him, myself and others didn't.

That’s really rotten luck about Falkirk, Dundee United had the best youth policy in the years just before our age group so that is some result. 

Colin Affleck played in my Musselburgh Windsor team I can imagine him getting stuck right into Christian Dailly he used to say to me that my problem was I was too nice and needed to start booting people. He’s on my facebook. I also have Derek Laing and Graeme Fraser and they are always going on about how good their Salvie team was and I know that they rated you as a very talented player.

I think a lot of us from back then had those kind of stories that all seem mental these days as I don’t think there is the same interest in Scottish players now as there was then. It wasn’t unusual to have half a dozen scouts at a match and I think I probably made a mistake signing S forms with Dunfermline. 

Scats was our goalie at Deerpark and also played for Dunfermline he was saying that he was supposed to be the Salvie keeper then something bizarre happened at Edina and Jason Gardiner ended up there and he was second fiddle. Jason ended up coaching my own son at Just4keepers.

I am sure I have heard a few stories about Links United at that age group that sounded fun. Dod Colin Hogg play in your team I’m sure he played for Links.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gordon Zola

• daveydal

• Diadora Van Basten

• Governor Tarkin

On 17/02/2020 at 19:25, daveydal said:

Jamester :)

Things no too bad buddy, considering.

Aye, Keith Deuchers and Gary Juner stayed on for another year at 10s...Paul Crandles, Gary Cockburn, the Locke bros  and Kev Thomas all joined later, I'd be guessing what year...

Got sickened with Salvy by 14s, got asked by Tam Lambie to go along to Edinburgh Thistle who changed into Ainslie Park ( Kev Ward, Gogs Scott, Barry O'Donnell, Neil Russell, Stingray.. great team ) played with them til 18s, had a season at Tranent 21s, St Bernard's 21s then slowly depreciated and moved onto Saturday amateur with Tynecastle Star 😂 

Remember when i got scouted for Rangers, Danny Lee who was a tremendous midfielder, was asked if he would be interested in training at riccarton also... once the scout found out Danny went to St Thomas' ..well, let's just say Danny never made it to Riccarton , mental but not unusual in the 80s.

Anyway, sidetracking here, hope Jackie gets well soon ✌👍

Must be hard mate, keep the chin up if you can.

Haha, aye it depended on what school you went to back then. The Rangers scout wasn't Eric Penman was it?

Did you play for Ainslie Park when Franco and Dillon played think it was '91? Played against them for Links under 18s at your place, was a tough game. Remember Dillon asking me in centre midfield if I was going to Calton Studios that night!!

22 hours ago, Gordon Zola said:

Yes Brian, you just had to pop it in behind the centre halves and he was bursting onto it and banging it in the back of the net. Mind he scored a hat trick against tynie at forries all from through balls, beat them 4-0. Lovely guy too. Were you from out east lothian way? Did scatz the goalie play for you?

I ended up staying at salvy until the death, under 16s, think I was the only one to stay all the way through. Not sure when Tam left, maybe 15s. I maybe should have had a we change at some point. Got asked to go to Hutchie and tynie at under 12s but decided to stay. Tynie won the Scottish that year and we won nowt, apart from the Ayr tournament. Hutchie won the Scottish the next year! We had all the big names but maybe never blended as a team as well as we could. Think Jackie senior saw that and took Jackie away, he obviously knew what he was doing.

I trained with hearts, rangers, Dundee united and hibs up until 14s I think and Raith at 15s. Never had the right attitude to make it though, I never applied myself properly. Mind I played a game and Leeds were watching, they came back the next week and were asking if that was the same player they watched last week haha!

Somehow ended up at Falkirk at under 18s whilst playing for links utd. Played Dundee united at the old brockville in the bp youth cup and got beat 2-0, christian dailly and david hannah were playing for them. Dailly actually played centre forward, big Colin affleck our centre half was all over him, dailly went off injured and greeting! Beautiful greasy surface. Saw Paul sturrock sitting in the dugout, kept waiting for their left back to take a slightly heavy touch hit him with 2 or 3 old fashioned sliding tackles in front of sturrock. Came in at half time and Jim Jefferies came in and walked over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said "you're having a great game son" couldn't believe it, felt ten feet tall. Think he maybe could have sorted me out. Maybe. Anyway a few weeks later got the train through to brockville for training, place was in darkness, had been snowing a wee bit. No one had told me training was off and I took the huff and chucked it as I thought they didn't want me. Found out later they were going to offer me a yts!!

Anyway, that's the difference between the players that make it and the players that don't. You have to have the right attitude. Wee Jackie had it in him, myself and others didn't.

For someone like me who loved football but never had any talent (unlike yourself) that's a great story. 

Thanks for sharing it so brilliantly.

21 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

That’s really rotten luck about Falkirk, Dundee United had the best youth policy in the years just before our age group so that is some result. 

Colin Affleck played in my Musselburgh Windsor team I can imagine him getting stuck right into Christian Dailly he used to say to me that my problem was I was too nice and needed to start booting people. He’s on my facebook. I also have Derek Laing and Graeme Fraser and they are always going on about how good their Salvie team was and I know that they rated you as a very talented player.

I think a lot of us from back then had those kind of stories that all seem mental these days as I don’t think there is the same interest in Scottish players now as there was then. It wasn’t unusual to have half a dozen scouts at a match and I think I probably made a mistake signing S forms with Dunfermline. 

Scats was our goalie at Deerpark and also played for Dunfermline he was saying that he was supposed to be the Salvie keeper then something bizarre happened at Edina and Jason Gardiner ended up there and he was second fiddle. Jason ended up coaching my own son at Just4keepers.

I am sure I have heard a few stories about Links United at that age group that sounded fun. Dod Colin Hogg play in your team I’m sure he played for Links.

Aye, big Affy was a good big guy, a good guy to have in your team! How many years were you at Mussie? I think I remember Hoggy playing now you mention it. Always remember him from way back at under 10s for Mussie all the way through juvenile football along with with Affy, wee Coco McDonald, big Innes Ritchie, Paul Currie, Malcolm Coyle, Jason Davidson, Gary Ormiston etc. Had a few battles down the years. "Get intae these toonies" they would shout!! Trained with a few of them at Rangers, good guys.

Scatz was a funny guy, didn't realise he went to Dunfermline. Played with him at Tynie under 18s. Sure he came to Salvy too? There was quite a few players ended up at Dunfermline then. Jason Gardiner was a great keeper for us at Salvy, really nice guy too.

Knew Graeme Fraser from Kingsknowe Golf Club junior section and then Salvy under 14s through to Links under 18s. Used to pick me up for the Links games. He was best pals with Nicky Ingram. He had to mark Henrik Larsson when he played for Dunfermline!

Diadora Van Basten
45 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Aye, big Affy was a good big guy, a good guy to have in your team! How many years were you at Mussie? I think I remember Hoggy playing now you mention it. Always remember him from way back at under 10s for Mussie all the way through juvenile football along with with Affy, wee Coco McDonald, big Innes Ritchie, Paul Currie, Malcolm Coyle, Jason Davidson, Gary Ormiston etc. Had a few battles down the years. "Get intae these toonies" they would shout!! Trained with a few of them at Rangers, good guys.

Scatz was a funny guy, didn't realise he went to Dunfermline. Played with him at Tynie under 18s. Sure he came to Salvy too? There was quite a few players ended up at Dunfermline then. Jason Gardiner was a great keeper for us at Salvy, really nice guy too.

Knew Graeme Fraser from Kingsknowe Golf Club junior section and then Salvy under 14s through to Links under 18s. Used to pick me up for the Links games. He was best pals with Nicky Ingram. He had to mark Henrik Larsson when he played for Dunfermline!

I was just the one year at Musselburgh Windsor (team picture below) it’s funny you mention that get into these tounies shout. I remember one of the parents at Deerpark shouting that and my Dad saying hold on a minute I’m a tounie. Some good players in that team Colin MacDonald, Gary Ormiston and Paul Currie all went onto Hibs. 

Used to have some good tussles with Nicky Ingram as he played left wing and I played right back.

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

21 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

For someone like me who loved football but never had any talent (unlike yourself) that's a great story. 

Thanks for sharing it so brilliantly.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Not sure if i'm rabbiting on on this thread. Once I heard about Jackie you start to think back to your days when you are younger when you played with him and others and lot of memories come flooding back. Speaking with Brian and Davy and Chester you start to talk about other guys you played with, games you played in and tell your own wee stories, everyone has a story to tell. For us it was football. I didn't know much else.

I remember when I was about 7 upwards, I had a wall about 2 minutes from my back garden, along the old railway at angle park terrace, the wall was the back of the old kennarty dairy on bryson road. It was about 30 metres wide and 30 metres high and was surrounded by railway sleepers, like a court. I used to spend hours myself kicking the ball against the wall, spinning it back to me, inside of the foot, outside of the foot, seeing how much swerve i could get on it, hitting it as hard as i could, then controlling it, wherever it comes at you, it becomes easy, second nature, like anything that you practice at. I just liked kicking the ball, seeing what you could do with it, then you end up playing in teams doing it and it makes you stand out. I don't think the reason i done it was for playing in teams when I was older, I don't think I was thinking of that, I was just a wee boy who liked kicking a ball. 

When we played in the playground at Craiglockhart, the headmaster, Mr Inglis used to confiscate our footballs. We would then use tennis balls , which he would take as well. He had boxes full of them. Then as a last resort we would use a crushed down can, he would/could never take them. If that came off your toes properly it would fly through the air like a hockey puck, swerving as it went, into the top corner, away from the keepers hand, it was brilliant. We mastered how to kick cans and tennis balls, so when you played with a normal sized ball it was a lot easier, you didn't really have to think about how you were kicking it, it just happened the way you wanted without thinking much about it.

I ended up playing for the primary 7 A team when I was in primary 4 and playing with guys like wee Jackie at Salvy. You watch them playing for Scotland and think what if I had that attitude, but we are all wired up differently, things happen the way they are meant to happen.

If any of you reading this have got laddies who are kicking a ball, find a wall somewhere and leave them to it. And get them playing with tennis balls or the mini footballs and you will see the difference.

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

image.jpeg.f8b53ce2eaee279a3091d9b81c9ce583.jpeg

Christ that's some photo, what under is that? Know nearly all those faces, not a pretty sight haha, only kidding! Forgot Bernie the goalie and Polo! Was that Raymie swannie, and yanos there too?

14 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Christ that's some photo, what under is that? Know nearly all those faces, not a pretty sight haha, only kidding! Forgot Bernie the goalie and Polo! Was that Raymie swannie, and yanos there too?

Is that you at the front with the ball Brian. Was a tounie captain of the teuchtar team!

I was just the one year at Musselburgh Windsor (team picture below) it’s funny you mention that get into these tounies shout. I remember one of the parents at Deerpark shouting that and my Dad saying hold on a minute I’m a tounie. Some good players in that team Colin MacDonald, Gary Ormiston and Paul Currie all went onto Hibs. 

Used to have some good tussles with Nicky Ingram as he played left wing and I played right back.

Haha or there was "the refs a homer" shout from us. Played with a few of those players in various teams over the years. Played with Coyley, Bernie and Affy in a Scotland select at under 18's. Polo at Tynie. Innes and Currie at Rangers. All good guys. Gary Ormiston was a character eh! Was gutted to hear that Coyley passed away and at such a young age, lovely guy.

Yes Nicky was a flying machine up that left wing, trained with hibs also.

Diadora Van Basten
7 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Haha or there was "the refs a homer" shout from us. Played with a few of those players in various teams over the years. Played with Coyley, Bernie and Affy in a Scotland select at under 18's. Polo at Tynie. Innes and Currie at Rangers. All good guys. Gary Ormiston was a character eh! Was gutted to hear that Coyley passed away and at such a young age, lovely guy.

Yes Nicky was a flying machine up that left wing, trained with hibs also.

I was speaking to Malcolm Coyles cousin the other day and he was saying that when he was younger Malcolm had been asked to go to the Ajax academy. Malcolm was a player who got better as he got older and was a cracking player for Musselburgh Athletic.

The photo would be from 89-90 as that was the last season I played and unfortunately I wasn’t the captain - pretty sure it was one of the big lads in the back row but can’t remember who. 

Gary Ormiston went down to Chelsea and skived off to watch the Houses of Parliament. 

I messaged Affy about your Christian Dailly Story and he said that he put him out for two weeks, Dailly tried to punch him and Jim McLean was going mental in the stand.

57 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Thanks, I appreciate that. Not sure if i'm rabbiting on on this thread. Once I heard about Jackie you start to think back to your days when you are younger when you played with him and others and lot of memories come flooding back. Speaking with Brian and Davy and Chester you start to talk about other guys you played with, games you played in and tell your own wee stories, everyone has a story to tell. For us it was football. I didn't know much else.

I remember when I was about 7 upwards, I had a wall about 2 minutes from my back garden, along the old railway at angle park terrace, the wall was the back of the old kennarty dairy on bryson road. It was about 30 metres wide and 30 metres high and was surrounded by railway sleepers, like a court. I used to spend hours myself kicking the ball against the wall, spinning it back to me, inside of the foot, outside of the foot, seeing how much swerve i could get on it, hitting it as hard as i could, then controlling it, wherever it comes at you, it becomes easy, second nature, like anything that you practice at. I just liked kicking the ball, seeing what you could do with it, then you end up playing in teams doing it and it makes you stand out. I don't think the reason i done it was for playing in teams when I was older, I don't think I was thinking of that, I was just a wee boy who liked kicking a ball. 

When we played in the playground at Craiglockhart, the headmaster, Mr Inglis used to confiscate our footballs. We would then use tennis balls , which he would take as well. He had boxes full of them. Then as a last resort we would use a crushed down can, he would/could never take them. If that came off your toes properly it would fly through the air like a hockey puck, swerving as it went, into the top corner, away from the keepers hand, it was brilliant. We mastered how to kick cans and tennis balls, so when you played with a normal sized ball it was a lot easier, you didn't really have to think about how you were kicking it, it just happened the way you wanted without thinking much about it.

I ended up playing for the primary 7 A team when I was in primary 4 and playing with guys like wee Jackie at Salvy. You watch them playing for Scotland and think what if I had that attitude, but we are all wired up differently, things happen the way they are meant to happen.

If any of you reading this have got laddies who are kicking a ball, find a wall somewhere and leave them to it. And get them playing with tennis balls or the mini footballs and you will see the difference.

This is a great post Jimmy...the crushed can games in the shed bring back loads of memories; loved them...folk crammed into the corners/door recesses watching😆

Edited by combo74

3 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I was speaking to Malcolm Coyles cousin the other day and he was saying that when he was younger Malcolm had been asked to go to the Ajax academy. Malcolm was a player who got better as he got older and was a cracking player for Musselburgh Athletic.

The photo would be from 89-90 as that was the last season I played and unfortunately I wasn’t the captain - pretty sure it was one of the big lads in the back row but can’t remember who. 

Gary Ormiston went down to Chelsea and skived off to watch the Houses of Parliament. 

I messaged Affy about your Christian Dailly Story and he said that he put him out for two weeks, Dailly tried to punch him and Jim McLean was going mental in the stand.

Ajax? That's mad. Only player i've heard of growing up to be linked with a foreign team and not an ordinary foreign team! A great player was Malcolm, and a great guy, glad I had the pleasure to get to know him and play with him instead of against him all those years.

I knew Gary Ormiston wasn't right in the head!! Funny guy though!

Haha some guy big Affy, can remember Dailly whining and whimpering, just shows you.

It's weird how you play against a lot of guys through the years and think they're the enemy, then you end up playing with them years later and you become pals, they are no different to you.

20 minutes ago, combo74 said:

This is a great post Jimmy...the crushed can games in the shed bring back loads of memories; loved them...folk crammed into the corners/door recesses watching😆

Combo?

4 hours ago, Gordon Zola said:

Haha, aye it depended on what school you went to back then. The Rangers scout wasn't Eric Penman was it?

Did you play for Ainslie Park when Franco and Dillon played think it was '91? Played against them for Links under 18s at your place, was a tough game. Remember Dillon asking me in centre midfield if I was going to Calton Studios that night!!

Thanks pal

Hardest part is looking after the auld man with Dex and trying to keep a semblance of a life maself! 

And aye, Eric Penman was the scout..couldnt believe my naive, young ears when my mum told me about Danny being refused to train with Rangers cos he went to St Tams 🤯 the guy was a class act.

Did I play for the same team? Jimmy, I was el capitan of the infamous Ainslie Park when Stu Allister,  Franco, Robbie Chisolm, wee Lee Curtis ( RIP bud ) and Si Dillon all played 😂 great team, amazing laughs. We were well known for a Friday night bender at Pure before turning up at the game in Curtis' wee bomber of a VW 😂 memories? Well , almost! 

And I dunno what to say about Craiglockhart and Mr Inglis, playing with a crushed can in the bottom shed hoping that it didn't smash Smurfs dads window 😂😂 they are memories that will stay forever.

As do playing up harrison park, sometimes me and you against your brother and mine 👍 young team always won 😉

Edited by daveydal

4 hours ago, Gordon Zola said:

Any team found it tough when they came to Pilton to play mate 😉 but then you were best of mates at The Venue or Calton Studios that night, ahem 🥴😉

17 hours ago, daveydal said:

Thanks pal

Hardest part is looking after the auld man with Dex and trying to keep a semblance of a life maself! 

And aye, Eric Penman was the scout..couldnt believe my naive, young ears when my mum told me about Danny being refused to train with Rangers cos he went to St Tams 🤯 the guy was a class act.

Did I play for the same team? Jimmy, I was el capitan of the infamous Ainslie Park when Stu Allister,  Franco, Robbie Chisolm, wee Lee Curtis ( RIP bud ) and Si Dillon all played 😂 great team, amazing laughs. We were well known for a Friday night bender at Pure before turning up at the game in Curtis' wee bomber of a VW 😂 memories? Well , almost! 

And I dunno what to say about Craiglockhart and Mr Inglis, playing with a crushed can in the bottom shed hoping that it didn't smash Smurfs dads window 😂😂 they are memories that will stay forever.

As do playing up harrison park, sometimes me and you against your brother and mine 👍 young team always won 😉

Just try and keep the heid mate. 👍

Sorry Davie, we just never crossed paths before that really, with that one year difference! Sounds like you would have had plenty camaraderie in that team. I bet there were some states in the dressing room on a Saturday before the game! Mind Franco was straight through in that game and I was last man about the halfway line and he had a half yard on me and I thought there's no way you're getting away from me to score. I grabbed a hold of the side of his shirt and pulled him back to me as we carried on running on the refs blindside. I eventually got to the ball and cleared it, he thought he was going through to score. Still moans about to this day nearly 30 years later haha! I'm sure I asked the ref is his nose wasn't offside haha! Aye, mind Stu (rip), Robbie and Curtis (rip) playing now you mention it, all very capable players. Did Mark Dale play for you? I'm sure he clattered Barry Duncan in that game and put him out for months. We had Paul Ritchie, Alan (choccy) Mcmanus and Kevin Thomas all farmed out by Hearts, although they didn't play every game, don't think they were playing in that one. We won the Scottish that year.

Mind me, you, Val and Curtis went to Amsterdam when we were 19 I think (1993) and we had an 'Airbnb' in the red light district! Great trip that! Curtis was a diamond.

Aye, mind Jonny put his pigeon shed at the bottom fence which was our goals in the shed, he used to go nuts when we used to hit the ball off it. Silly place to put a pigeon shed if you ask me, mustn't have had anywhere else to put it! Although I think he ended up putting it down the old railway just beside the Phoenix club on Harrison Gardens.

Aye it was always competitive playing the big brothers! Your brother was a good player. My brother just wanted to half us all the time, loved a tackle so he did. Mind I used to get a pack lunch in the school holidays, with Scott, Chrissy Mears, Gary Aitchison and Stevie Begg and take it up to the baby park and play from 9 in the morning until after tea time, brilliant pitch that, you didn't need to dodge the dug shit like in the other park although the parkie wasn't too happy about it. At least we didn't play in the putting green much, the grass was too short! Then the BBC (HBC) and BarOx started coming down to fight the Shandon Service Crew. There must have been about about 100 SSC/CSF there one night waiting for them, but they failed to show!

Did you play for our Primary 7 team when we got beat in the league decider by St Peters at Saughton? We had a good team. Craiglockhart never got close to anything normally, it was usually South Morningside and St Cuthberts. Got to the quarters of the Inspectors Cup but got beat by Juni Green at their place. Had a good solid team, Beavers, Campbell Blair, Grant Ferguson, Ricky McLaughlin, Derek Sinclair, Steven (Gutsy) Gargaro, Ian Hughes, Neil Mackay.

19 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

That photo you posted originally Brian, do you remember what cup and stadium that was at, I'm struggling to remember! Cheers

1 hour ago, Gordon Zola said:

Just try and keep the heid mate. 👍

Sorry Davie, we just never crossed paths before that really, with that one year difference! Sounds like you would have had plenty camaraderie in that team. I bet there were some states in the dressing room on a Saturday before the game! Mind Franco was straight through in that game and I was last man about the halfway line and he had a half yard on me and I thought there's no way you're getting away from me to score. I grabbed a hold of the side of his shirt and pulled him back to me as we carried on running on the refs blindside. I eventually got to the ball and cleared it, he thought he was going through to score. Still moans about to this day nearly 30 years later haha! I'm sure I asked the ref is his nose wasn't offside haha! Aye, mind Stu (rip), Robbie and Curtis (rip) playing now you mention it, all very capable players. Did Mark Dale play for you? I'm sure he clattered Barry Duncan in that game and put him out for months. We had Paul Ritchie, Alan (choccy) Mcmanus and Kevin Thomas all farmed out by Hearts, although they didn't play every game, don't think they were playing in that one. We won the Scottish that year.

Mind me, you, Val and Curtis went to Amsterdam when we were 19 I think (1993) and we had an 'Airbnb' in the red light district! Great trip that! Curtis was a diamond.

Aye, mind Jonny put his pigeon shed at the bottom fence which was our goals in the shed, he used to go nuts when we used to hit the ball off it. Silly place to put a pigeon shed if you ask me, mustn't have had anywhere else to put it! Although I think he ended up putting it down the old railway just beside the Phoenix club on Harrison Gardens.

Aye it was always competitive playing the big brothers! Your brother was a good player. My brother just wanted to half us all the time, loved a tackle so he did. Mind I used to get a pack lunch in the school holidays, with Scott, Chrissy Mears, Gary Aitchison and Stevie Begg and take it up to the baby park and play from 9 in the morning until after tea time, brilliant pitch that, you didn't need to dodge the dug shit like in the other park although the parkie wasn't too happy about it. At least we didn't play in the putting green much, the grass was too short! Then the BBC (HBC) and BarOx started coming down to fight the Shandon Service Crew. There must have been about about 100 SSC/CSF there one night waiting for them, but they failed to show!

Did you play for our Primary 7 team when we got beat in the league decider by St Peters at Saughton? We had a good team. Craiglockhart never got close to anything normally, it was usually South Morningside and St Cuthberts. Got to the quarters of the Inspectors Cup but got beat by Juni Green at their place. Had a good solid team, Beavers, Campbell Blair, Grant Ferguson, Ricky McLaughlin, Derek Sinclair, Steven (Gutsy) Gargaro, Ian Hughes, Neil Mackay.

That one year made all the difference, was a guy Tony Johnstone, he coached the 11s I think? that got me along to Salvy when I was 8, training down leith academy and playing games at St Jospehs in broomhouse or down at Forrester high school. I had one season at 10s with you then next season I stayed and guys such as Gary Cockburn, Paul Wetherston and Paul Crandles joined..we had an excellent team that second year at 10s.. 4 cup finals, 1 winner and 3 runners up..mainly to Hutchie Vale tbh, pissed me right off! The rivalry between Salveson and Hutchie was intense ( Hearts v Hibs basically ) but they had a great team as did Captain's Cabin..remember Tony Lally sp? Midfielder, good player, bit gobby tho 😂

Mark Dale did play for Ainslie Park, solid player who lok we had a team reunion ( get plastered and talk mince ) a few months back

Governor Tarkin
48 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

No, but it would've if that was his name 😁

I'm pretty sure that it is. 👍

He's a good lad, Combo.

26 minutes ago, daveydal said:

That one year made all the difference, was a guy Tony Johnstone, he coached the 11s I think? that got me along to Salvy when I was 8, training down leith academy and playing games at St Jospehs in broomhouse or down at Forrester high school. I had one season at 10s with you then next season I stayed and guys such as Gary Cockburn, Paul Wetherston and Paul Crandles joined..we had an excellent team that second year at 10s.. 4 cup finals, 1 winner and 3 runners up..mainly to Hutchie Vale tbh, pissed me right off! The rivalry between Salveson and Hutchie was intense ( Hearts v Hibs basically ) but they had a great team as did Captain's Cabin..remember Tony Lally sp? Midfielder, good player, bit gobby tho 😂

Mark Dale did play for Ainslie Park, solid player who lok we had a team reunion ( get plastered and talk mince ) a few months back

Anyway dunno what happened there

Mark Dale loved a tackle! I remember the game Jimmy, Franco mentions it every now and then when I'm in getting my barnet cut. He was a good player on his day. I remember playing an u18s USA select team down at Peffermill, there was a real edge and bite to the game. Franco played a blinder, scored a peach of a header, think we won 3-2.

Again, with the primary school team, I only had one season with you. Mind Craig beevers Beveridge having to hide from the ref when it came to getting your boots checked pre game. He wore rugby boots..and when I say boots, I mean ankle high boots, jet black, studs about 6 inches long on them 😂 sure he was told to go for a run by the teachers, just make sure the ref doesnt see you!

We had a decent team, made a couple of semi finals, ran St Cuthberts close to the league one year. As good as you could expect from Craiglockhart really .

😂😂😂 Shandon Service Crew 😂😂😂 were we no in the Baby Crew??? A few very crazy summers spent up Harrison park in the early teens Jimmy, too much to go into detail on here

19 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

He's a good lad, Combo.

I'm not sure Governor. It is a guy I used to go to school with, I mentioned his name in one of the above posts, I never knew him as Combo. My "Combo?" question was more of a "Who are you Combo?" as opposed to a "Is that you Combo?" question. Did the Combo you speak of go to Craiglockhart Primary? 👍

27 minutes ago, daveydal said:

Anyway dunno what happened there

Mark Dale loved a tackle! I remember the game Jimmy, Franco mentions it every now and then when I'm in getting my barnet cut. He was a good player on his day. I remember playing an u18s USA select team down at Peffermill, there was a real edge and bite to the game. Franco played a blinder, scored a peach of a header, think we won 3-2.

Again, with the primary school team, I only had one season with you. Mind Craig beevers Beveridge having to hide from the ref when it came to getting your boots checked pre game. He wore rugby boots..and when I say boots, I mean ankle high boots, jet black, studs about 6 inches long on them 😂 sure he was told to go for a run by the teachers, just make sure the ref doesnt see you!

We had a decent team, made a couple of semi finals, ran St Cuthberts close to the league one year. As good as you could expect from Craiglockhart really .

😂😂😂 Shandon Service Crew 😂😂😂 were we no in the Baby Crew??? A few very crazy summers spent up Harrison park in the early teens Jimmy, too much to go into detail on here

Aye Tony Johnstone took us at under 11s, Richie Johnstones dad. Are you not related? Mind Tony Lally, he played in the Edinburgh team, not sure if he was in Primary 6 at the time. Saw him years later at Calton Studios!

Aye we had tough games against hutchie, tynie, edina, mussie windsor, even glenpark at 10s/11s. there were teams like royston roseberry which were tough. the games against hutchie and tynie definitely had an edge to them. Played with Mark Dale at St Bernards, good guy to have on your team, loved a tackle!

Yes Franco could play, he was in the rizla athletic team (named by kwoz) we were unbeaten for about 5 years i think in bounce games. That game was the only time I played with or against him in competitive games and i just saw him as my younger pal and there was no way he was scoring that goal. He could score a goal though, mind me and kwoz watched one of your games at pilton and he pinged a peach in the top corner, cant mind who it was against. Tam Lambie took me and Stevie Dick to Dundee United at under 11s or 12s , sure Jackie was there too.

Beavers!! I remember those rugby boots, big metal studs, he didn't give a ****, brilliant guy to have on your side. My dad called him "Boots Beveridge"!! We used to go running before school when we were in secondary, i was staying fit for the football and he was in the army cadets. used to run all the way to tollcross from slateford at half 6 in the morning! madness

We were in the baby crew? Not really not when I was 10 anyway! Was on the periphery a bit when I was older getting caught up in things or going for a wander into a different territory now and then and getting chased with folk with chains or not seeing anybody and walking back, but wasn't involved in it really like others. Mind when I was 11 folk were saying the CCS were coming down in cars. Mind when DD went up to Harry Park on his own and walked up to the benches at the tennis courts in the pitch black, thought it was his pals, turned out be Nizzy and Barox/HBC, he didn't hang around for a chat.

Do you mind when we came back from Amsterdam and the customs guys were putting the shampoo and things through the xray machines and going through our suitcases, we were there for about 2 hours at midnight. they were determined but they didn't find what they were looking for :whistling:

Diadora Van Basten
3 hours ago, Gordon Zola said:

That photo you posted originally Brian, do you remember what cup and stadium that was at, I'm struggling to remember! Cheers

There were other photos and I think it was Tynecastle possibly against Glenpark not sure what final it was. I was cup tied but can remember the team talk that  Graeme gave. He spoke about how Hibs had a cup final against Aberdeen and how Hibs were far too serious whilst Aberdeen who were used to cup finals were more relaxed. 

I sent a copy of your photo to Graeme Fraser and he said to tell you that he was asking for you. 

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

He's a good lad, Combo.

Apologies Governor, it is who you were thinking of. I have known him since nursery and have never known him to be called that. Good lad Combo!

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Gordon Zola said:

I'm not sure Governor. It is a guy I used to go to school with, I mentioned his name in one of the above posts, I never knew him as Combo. My "Combo?" question was more of a "Who are you Combo?" as opposed to a "Is that you Combo?" question. Did the Combo you speak of go to Craiglockhart Primary? 👍

Think so. Then Tynie.

Governor Tarkin
22 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Apologies Governor, it is who you were thinking of. I have known him since nursery and have never known him to be called that. Good lad Combo!

:lol:

Aye, if I'd said he was a ***** you'd have twigged it was the right guy straight off the bat.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

There were other photos and I think it was Tynecastle possibly against Glenpark not sure what final it was. I was cup tied but can remember the team talk that  Graeme gave. He spoke about how Hibs had a cup final against Aberdeen and how Hibs were far too serious whilst Aberdeen who were used to cup finals were more relaxed. 

I sent a copy of your photo to Graeme Fraser and he said to tell you that he was asking for you. 

Don't think it's Tynie, Brian. It looks a smaller ground, never mind.

Don't remember that team talk but remember him coming out with some crackers! It's no wonder he ended up a journalist!

Cheers, can you tell Graeme i'm asking for him too.

9 hours ago, Gordon Zola said:

Aye Tony Johnstone took us at under 11s, Richie Johnstones dad. Are you not related? Mind Tony Lally, he played in the Edinburgh team, not sure if he was in Primary 6 at the time. Saw him years later at Calton Studios!

Aye we had tough games against hutchie, tynie, edina, mussie windsor, even glenpark at 10s/11s. there were teams like royston roseberry which were tough. the games against hutchie and tynie definitely had an edge to them. Played with Mark Dale at St Bernards, good guy to have on your team, loved a tackle!

Yes Franco could play, he was in the rizla athletic team (named by kwoz) we were unbeaten for about 5 years i think in bounce games. That game was the only time I played with or against him in competitive games and i just saw him as my younger pal and there was no way he was scoring that goal. He could score a goal though, mind me and kwoz watched one of your games at pilton and he pinged a peach in the top corner, cant mind who it was against. Tam Lambie took me and Stevie Dick to Dundee United at under 11s or 12s , sure Jackie was there too.

Beavers!! I remember those rugby boots, big metal studs, he didn't give a ****, brilliant guy to have on your side. My dad called him "Boots Beveridge"!! We used to go running before school when we were in secondary, i was staying fit for the football and he was in the army cadets. used to run all the way to tollcross from slateford at half 6 in the morning! madness

We were in the baby crew? Not really not when I was 10 anyway! Was on the periphery a bit when I was older getting caught up in things or going for a wander into a different territory now and then and getting chased with folk with chains or not seeing anybody and walking back, but wasn't involved in it really like others. Mind when I was 11 folk were saying the CCS were coming down in cars. Mind when DD went up to Harry Park on his own and walked up to the benches at the tennis courts in the pitch black, thought it was his pals, turned out be Nizzy and Barox/HBC, he didn't hang around for a chat.

Do you mind when we came back from Amsterdam and the customs guys were putting the shampoo and things through the xray machines and going through our suitcases, we were there for about 2 hours at midnight. they were determined but they didn't find what they were looking for :whistling:

Not quite related to the Johnstones, my mum and their mum grew up together in Moat drive. Richie was a good player,, Tony Jnr was more interested in watching Hibs rather than play... some people you just cant help eh! 

I hadn't heard about Beevers for years. Knew he had joined the army...next thing is he's on the front of The News Of the World working with the Met Police 😂😂 better no go into too much detail here but it was a belter!! 

Harrison park was always a hive of activity back then mate, whether it was 20 a side games, dodging the dog shit as you done a sliding tackle...or you chanced getting chased by the Parkie if you played in the rose gardens. Was worth it for the better quality playing surface 😂 Bar Ox used to come along the canal, get chased right back along it from Shandons finest 🥴 HBC was always interesting,  remember Morley swapping from Hibs to Hearts, a huge hibs mob turned up at Harrison park looking for him... the small numbers of shandon regulars bolted...We were playing tennis as Jason ran past us and up n over the 15 ft fence,  away over the horizon 😂

Amsterdam was a great laugh buddy. I remember ( only just ) we were all skint on last day, enough money for train fare, had been participating a bit too much in the coffee shops...missed our stop for schiphol, got off at next one then had to skive back on train to airport. Aye! Customs were pretty determined to catch us with something at Edinburgh.. Do you remember the English guy we met in Grasshopper? Took us to the nightclub? He told us to use deodorant cans or toothpaste tubes for you know what!? Fast forward to Edinburgh customs and they're checking deodorant cans and toothpaste tubes! Just as well we never listened to him eh!!!

Rizla Athletic 😂 I remember 😂 did you ever play in the Wester Hailes 5 a sides? Johnny Smith always entered a team. Was eventful to say the least. Dunno if it's true but heard Cha Rains used to play with a knife in his sock! 

Talking about Dougie Hanley playing,  I remember being short of numbers and us asking James Lewis to play for us, it was desperate times 😂😂 God I even remember Stu Roy playing for us Saturday amateur one week down Pilrig park... had a few cans on sidelines as sub, came on and his legs couldnt keep up with his top half when running 😂 face planted the muddy pitch...ah if carlsberg done football subs 😂😂😂😂

Edited by daveydal

8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye, if I'd said he was a ***** you'd have twigged it was the right guy straight off the bat.

😆😆😆🖕

On 18/02/2020 at 21:41, Gordon Zola said:

My father always said that was the reason Scottish players were good in past decades - they could not afford full size balls so had to make do with tennis balls etc. There must be some truth in it, along with the general view that Brazilian players were good as they played 30+-a-side so to get on the ball you had to be good...

Perhaps that is the way to coach kids - to make it 30 v 30 rather than 5 v 5 and just give them a tennis ball...?

Edited by Spellczech

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, daveydal said:

Bar Ox used to come along the canal, get chased right back along it from Shandons finest

Bar-Ox never got chased anywhere.

Well, hardly ever.

39 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Bar-Ox never got chased anywhere.

Well, hardly ever.

😂 I beg to differ Gov

Maybe younger team than you remember but many a time there was dust clouds along the canal heading away from Shandon. Tbf harrison park saw a fair few scraps, some Bar Ox won some they never or the pavement dancing took over and nowt happened 😂 Harrison Park had its locals but summertime came and there was a congregation from gorgie, dalry, longstone, wester hailes.. good times

Edited by daveydal

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, daveydal said:

😂 I beg to differ Gov

Maybe younger team than you remember but many a time there was dust clouds along the canal heading away from Shandon. Tbf harrison park saw a fair few scraps, some Bar Ox won some they never or the pavement dancing took over and nowt happened 😂 Harrison Park had its locals but summertime came and there was a congregation from gorgie, dalry, longstone, wester hailes.. good times

Aye, the running battles were usually more running and less battle. 

Who was it that cut about in the old orange Austin Allegro?

I mind lobbing half niddries at that as it hoored past the Chip Inn with boys hanging out the windows.

Might've been someone from Baberton actually.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I mind lobbing half niddries at that as it hoored past the Chip Inn with boys hanging out the windows.

😂

Sorry, no idea who drove the eggroll 🤭

Only mode of transport in the mid/late 80s was a bmx, chopper or grifter for us, too young for driving. 

The usual spot up Shandon was the dry cleaners on the corner of Ashley terrace then as summer came, moved round to the bottom benches of harrison park. Bar ox or whoever would normally come along canal so plenty time to see em coming, either fight or flight 😂

Diadora Van Basten
25 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Any chance of an update on Jackie Macnamara by any chance???

From his Twitter posted by his daughter:

Thank you for the continued support for my dad, the past week has been so overwhelming for us as a family.

He is making progress but still has a long road to recovery. We are so thankful for all the care he’s received and remain positive. 

Erin ❤️

49 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

From his Twitter posted by his daughter:

Thank you for the continued support for my dad, the past week has been so overwhelming for us as a family.

He is making progress but still has a long road to recovery. We are so thankful for all the care he’s received and remain positive. 

Erin ❤️

That's great that Jackie's making progress Brian. I think this has been the first update since over a week ago where various reports stated that he was up and talking after his operation. This tweet must have been late last night.

My dad had a brain aneurysm when he was 42, he is now 73 and you wouldn't know he had one, so there is a good chance that Jackie will make a full recovery.

On 20/02/2020 at 08:25, Spellczech said:

My father always said that was the reason Scottish players were good in past decades - they could not afford full size balls so had to make do with tennis balls etc. There must be some truth in it, along with the general view that Brazilian players were good as they played 30+-a-side so to get on the ball you had to be good...

Perhaps that is the way to coach kids - to make it 30 v 30 rather than 5 v 5 and just give them a tennis ball...?

I agree with him Spellczech. I think there is more of an edge to your game if you have played in the streets/playgrounds/wastegrounds etc. And if you play with something the size of a tennis ball it will sharpen your skills even more. It should be compulsory for kids training these days.

I think the Brazilians played with anything from oranges to paper rolled tight into a ball and taped up, either in the streets or on the beach. Or if they had a ball they would be very scarce, hence the 30 a side games. I suppose if you got on the ball in one of those games you would have to wriggle your way through a mass of bodies to try and get a bit space or even move in any direction. Maybe that's why the Brazilian technique is probably the best in the world. And everyone would be fighting to get on the ball, it must have been like a brawl. It would certainly help you in terms of technical ability and focus if you were brought up playing this way in confined spaces with a small ball, I would think.

chester copperpot
On 19/02/2020 at 18:27, Gordon Zola said:

Under 16's possibly?

thumbnail_IMG_4776.jpg

From Under 15 upwards, Jackie played with Edina Hibs. We won everything that year, and I mean everything. 

All cups with Edina (including the Scottish cup u-15) and also all school cups with Porty high school.

Jackie and I had a competition going on for top goalscorer. We even kept out the prolific Graeme Soutter as he was a wasteful dick (but good at tennis)

Edited by chester copperpot

On 20/02/2020 at 06:58, daveydal said:

Not quite related to the Johnstones, my mum and their mum grew up together in Moat drive. Richie was a good player,, Tony Jnr was more interested in watching Hibs rather than play... some people you just cant help eh! 

I hadn't heard about Beevers for years. Knew he had joined the army...next thing is he's on the front of The News Of the World working with the Met Police 😂😂 better no go into too much detail here but it was a belter!! 

Harrison park was always a hive of activity back then mate, whether it was 20 a side games, dodging the dog shit as you done a sliding tackle...or you chanced getting chased by the Parkie if you played in the rose gardens. Was worth it for the better quality playing surface 😂 Bar Ox used to come along the canal, get chased right back along it from Shandons finest 🥴 HBC was always interesting,  remember Morley swapping from Hibs to Hearts, a huge hibs mob turned up at Harrison park looking for him... the small numbers of shandon regulars bolted...We were playing tennis as Jason ran past us and up n over the 15 ft fence,  away over the horizon 😂

Amsterdam was a great laugh buddy. I remember ( only just ) we were all skint on last day, enough money for train fare, had been participating a bit too much in the coffee shops...missed our stop for schiphol, got off at next one then had to skive back on train to airport. Aye! Customs were pretty determined to catch us with something at Edinburgh.. Do you remember the English guy we met in Grasshopper? Took us to the nightclub? He told us to use deodorant cans or toothpaste tubes for you know what!? Fast forward to Edinburgh customs and they're checking deodorant cans and toothpaste tubes! Just as well we never listened to him eh!!!

Rizla Athletic 😂 I remember 😂 did you ever play in the Wester Hailes 5 a sides? Johnny Smith always entered a team. Was eventful to say the least. Dunno if it's true but heard Cha Rains used to play with a knife in his sock! 

Talking about Dougie Hanley playing,  I remember being short of numbers and us asking James Lewis to play for us, it was desperate times 😂😂 God I even remember Stu Roy playing for us Saturday amateur one week down Pilrig park... had a few cans on sidelines as sub, came on and his legs couldnt keep up with his top half when running 😂 face planted the muddy pitch...ah if carlsberg done football subs 😂😂😂😂

I don't think Beavers would thank you if you went into detail with that one!

Aye I remember Morley swapping over 87 or 88 I would think?

I vaguely remember a few things, I think I remember him. Remember missing the stop. Remember that North African dude was following us around wanting money. think Val had started to talk to him. Or me lending Val some Guilders so he could go back (mid visit) to one of the ladies of the larger, African persuasion that he had 'befriended'! Never did get those Guilders back!

Aye I played in Jonny's team with Dougie. Enjoyed those games. Did you play in our team or Mikey's team with Troy, Davie Park, Scotty, Kwoz, Tam, Stu, Nicky? James Lewis wisnae the worst player but I know what you mean. Seen Stu Roy recently a couple of times in the Tollcross/Haymarket areas pushing a buggy. Do you ever see him? Seen Gary Petrie up there too.

4 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

From Under 15 upwards, Jackie played with Edina Hibs. We won everything that year, and I mean ev

might have been 14s, thought we looked older

On 19/02/2020 at 22:41, Governor Tarkin said:

Not Combo 😄

On 20/02/2020 at 10:19, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye maybe Babbie, there were a few of them.

And to think I thought BarOx were Hibs when I was growing up!

Governor Tarkin
43 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

And to think I thought BarOx were Hibs when I was growing up!

Aye, there were a few that jumped on the bandwagon when it was fashionable for young tearaways to think they were Hibs casuals.

Bar - Ox land has always been Hearts, though. 👍