First Game

EngMike

Hi I am clearly new to this forum. Just wondering on some suggestions from a few of you.

Me and my girlfriend have Hearts as our Scottish team and we're hopefully coming up from Manchester (if you don't mind English supporters) 😂 for the Motherwell game in March. We were recently in Edinburgh (fantastic city by the way) for the weekend and tried to get tickets for the Rangers game but couldn't. Was just hoping on some suggestions on decent pubs before the game. Cheers

22 hours ago, EngMike said:

Hi I am clearly new to this forum. Just wondering on some suggestions from a few of you.

Me and my girlfriend have Hearts as our Scottish team and we're hopefully coming up from Manchester (if you don't mind English supporters) 😂 for the Motherwell game in March. We were recently in Edinburgh (fantastic city by the way) for the weekend and tried to get tickets for the Rangers game but couldn't. Was just hoping on some suggestions on decent pubs before the game. Cheers

Should be easier to get tickets for the Motherwell game. 

I'm not a pub goer but any pub on Gorgie Road should be fine. Perhaps the Tynecastle Arms?

Enjoy your trip! Hopefully you'll see a good game.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Depends how busy you want the pub to be. I prefer the pubs around Haymarket for wee games.

Caley Sample Room is relatively quiet these days. If I'm at Haymarket then Thomson's is my pub of choice. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Daley Sample Room is relatively quiet these days. If I'm at Haymarket then Thomson's is my pub of choice. 

Aye I like Thomsons. Hardly ever get for a pint before games now ☹️

Hospitality a shout perhaps

Carl Weathers

If I was in your shoes I'd do a mini pub crawl. Maybe something like Tynecastle Arms or Stratford Arms before the match (both can get quite busy). After the game you could do Diggers, Bensons and then Dickens if you are heading back to Haymarket/Dalry area.

A real mix of pubs there for you to try!

If you want atmosphere in a supporter-filled pub, got to be the Tynie Arms or Diggers.

Portable Badger

Had friends up from Cardiff recently - did Diggers, dropped down to the Tynecastle Arms then into Bar1874  in the Main Stand so they could experience the build up to the game. They loved it.

After the game .... depends what type of pubs you like.  Others on here can advise

Definitely the Diggers (Athletic Arms).  Very welcoming and a great pint served in record time by the best bar staff in the world (imo).

Hope you have a great trip and enjoy the game 👍

annushorribilis III
23 hours ago, EngMike said:

We have a supporters club in Manchester so a Manc accent won't bother anyone in my experience. No reason to be uncomfortable, my kids are English and  we go to games fairly often.

The only pub I usually go near is the Caley Sample Rooms (fab selection of beers and decent food)

A bit surprised to hear it's not so busy these days. 

The Athletic Arms (popularly known as Diggers) is a very short walk from the Sample Rooms - those would be my choices. 

If you go to a game and go to Diggers you can talk about Hearts anywhere in the world, Diggers is a bit of a tradition. 

Have a great trip. 

23 hours ago, EngMike said:

Welcome to the fold. Both you and your girlfriend have chosen the best football team in Scotland and one with a unique history. Hope you enjoy the game. 👍

If you haven't already I'd suggest opening an account with hearts etickets for yourself and your better half.

Once you have Motherwell tickets you will have a purchase history and will be ok for tickets in future.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Definitely the Diggers (Athletic Arms).  Very welcoming and a great pint served in record time by the best bar staff in the world (imo).

Hope you have a great trip and enjoy the game 👍

How long you been working there now mate? ;) 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Caley Sample Room is relatively quiet these days. If I'm at Haymarket then Thomson's is my pub of choice. 

I second that I often go to the caley sample room before a game friendly and nice food. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Diggers is the obvious choice,  1874 being attached to the ground is very convenient.

Hopefully you aren't in my row and need out for a piss!

Enjoy your trip and hopefully we are in better shape by the time you arrive 

On 03/02/2020 at 14:41, EngMike said:

Highly recommend hospitality in the Gorgie Suite if you are up for a 1 off game and want to make a day of it (and feeling a bit flush) opens a few hours before KO, and closes about 1.5 hrs after the game is finished.  Includes a 3 course meal and complimentary bar and a few pies at Half time (they used to have a pint waiting for you but that seems to have stopped).

The price varies per category game and has always been well worth it when I have been.  Nothing to stop a few drinks in Diggers or the club bar before and after - both are usually pretty lively at those times.  

Not a huge amount of bars around the stadium.

Before the game :

1874 in the main stand or Tynecastle Arms adjacent.

Stratfords (Stratties) is popular although busy and IMHO not as good as the Tynie Arms

After the game;

Defo head for Diggers (Athletic Arms), if you can get in - some of the best beer in Edinburgh.

Depending where you are staying, there are a few bars on the way back to the city centre if you fancy a walk.

scott herbertson
23 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

Stratfords (Stratties) is popular although busy and IMHO not as good as the Tynie Arms

Quite right - stay away from it, especially our seats up at the back

SectionDJambo

Probably better heading to the area around the ground early and going to the pubs mentioned by other guys. Little chance of trouble from Motherwell fans, but being around Haymarket then walking along gives a wee chance of encountering them.

You'll find the Hearts fans in the pubs are happy to welcome fellow fans from anywhere. We're a good bunch. You'll enjoy the pubs near the ground before and after.

Enjoy the day. Should be a good match.

For pre match definitely Diggers is a must . 

For post mattch if you're back in central Edinburgh The Guildford opp the Balmoral Hotel has a great selection of Real Ales and is female friendly 👍🏻

Cheers everyone for the welcome. Will defo check out those pubs. This is hopefully our first of many when we can get up. I signed up to the Heats etickets a little while ago so will sort tickets from there but any help is welcome.  We aren't stopping over this time sadly, doing a day of it then heading back.

We have the Manchester derby the next day and I am a season ticket holder at Manchesters 1 and only team City, and unfortunately the girlfriend is a season ticket holder at that evil place in trafford 😡

But yeah we are really looking forward to it

3 hours ago, EngMike said:

Cheers everyone for the welcome. Will defo check out those pubs. This is hopefully our first of many when we can get up. I signed up to the Heats etickets a little while ago so will sort tickets from there but any help is welcome.  We aren't stopping over this time sadly, doing a day of it then heading back.

We have the Manchester derby the next day and I am a season ticket holder at Manchesters 1 and only team City, and unfortunately the girlfriend is a season ticket holder at that evil place in trafford 😡

I like your girlfriend, you?  not so much 😬

You should definitely get in contact with Manchester Hearts. They’re one of the most prominent hearts supporters groups. As for the day itself, I can’t offer much more than has been mentioned before... diggers, tynie arms, etc

edit: had a quick google and it seems Manchester hearts haven’t updated anything in a while. Hope they are still going but may not be.

Edited by andydog

You should do Hospitality for £130 it's a fantastic experience 

36 minutes ago, ramrod said:

I like your girlfriend, you?  not so much 😬

Well I can't help there mate. I can only hope you see sense and make a change it'll be good for you 😂

For a one off then you might as well go to the pubs from Haymarket towards Tynecastle but if you are looking to make it a bit of a regular trip, you'll realise that most of them are a bit shit, including Diggers. The Tynie Arms is a good shout and Stratford Arms is.....an experience! A few pubs up the old town at the Grassmarket then a fiver for a taxi is a much better shout, in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, EngMike said:

Roseburn bar is decent too if you're coming in from airport side. Get away fans in there too sometimes but will be fine seeing as it's not Hibs or Celtic. Otherwise, DIggers is best choice. Hope you enjoy it!

AlphonseCapone
15 minutes ago, Jamie86 said:

For a one off then you might as well go to the pubs from Haymarket towards Tynecastle but if you are looking to make it a bit of a regular trip, you'll realise that most of them are a bit shit, including Diggers. The Tynie Arms is a good shout and Stratford Arms is.....an experience! A few pubs up the old town at the Grassmarket then a fiver for a taxi is a much better shout, in my opinion. 

The grassmarket is shite at the weekend, full of tourists. 

If its a one off I’d go to a few of the pubs, pick your tickets up at the TO when it opens, go to Hearts’ own bar under the stadium, go to the tynecastle arms & definitely make sure you go to the diggers its a great hearts pub with a cracking beer selection 

2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Depends what you want from a pre-match pint. Decent choice of pints in a decent pub, I'd choose the old town and Grassmarket. 

N Lincs Jambo

Pretty sure the Manchester Hearts SC meet up at a pub on the Bury New Road. Decent sized SC and run double decker buses up to the major games. Well worth checking out. Not all Scottish ex-pats either, pretty sure there’s a fair few English there who have happened upon the Heart’s 

18 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

The couple coming are tourists.

Yeah we will check them out. This isn't going to just be a one off either we want to come up as much as we can and cheer on the Jambos.

I mean the Manchester branch we will check them out was trying to respond to someone

Edited by EngMike