Jump to content
hughesie27

Surround sound speakers

Recommended Posts

hughesie27

Usually quite good with tech stuff but when it comes to speakers I am pretty much clueless.

 

Looking at getting a decent surround sound system. Ideally wireless (apart from power cables) but if that proved too pricey then would settle with routing the wires around the walls.

 

Not expecting to get the best if the best but budget would be in the £200 area probably.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taffin
14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Usually quite good with tech stuff but when it comes to speakers I am pretty much clueless.

 

Looking at getting a decent surround sound system. Ideally wireless (apart from power cables) but if that proved too pricey then would settle with routing the wires around the walls.

 

Not expecting to get the best if the best but budget would be in the £200 area probably.

 

 

 

This might be my lack of understanding of how they work but if you are going to run power to them you may as well send the audio via wire too in a single cable?

 

Should save you money and improve the quality. 👍

 

What receiver are you using? 

 

For what it's worth, I've got a Yamaha set up and I rate it. Can't remember cost though, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

 

This might be my lack of understanding of how they work but if you are going to run power to them you may as well send the audio via wire too in a single cable?

 

Should save you money and improve the quality. 👍

 

What receiver are you using? 

 

For what it's worth, I've got a Yamaha set up and I rate it. Can't remember cost though, sorry.

My understanding would be that wireless speakers would need to be individually plugged in? Or are they all connected with 1 power cable for the lot?

 

I don't currently have a receiver. Would only be using them for the TV so can just plug the main u it directly into that via optical cable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taffin
56 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

My understanding would be that wireless speakers would need to be individually plugged in? Or are they all connected with 1 power cable for the lot?

 

I don't currently have a receiver. Would only be using them for the TV so can just plug the main u it directly into that via optical cable?

 

That's my understanding too, but I had assumed you were powering them from a receiver (don't even know if that's possible tbf!!) so each cable would be going back to a single power source and as such you'd have been as well running the sound through those cables too.

 

It's quite probable that I'm somewhat out of date with how best to do it as I didn't look into wireless when I did mine.

 

Mine goes optical out>receiver>speakers but I guess if you are powering the speakers by another method then you don't really need the receiver...again I'm far from being well clued up on the topic so I shall instead wish you good luck and enjoyment once you're up and running and bow out 😂😂

Edited by Taffin
I confused myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
North Berwick Jambo

A proper wireless 5.1 surround sound system will cost you a small fortune. Soundbars will never produce the same effects as a 5.1 even if you want to waste lots of cash on a Dolby Atmos system so just get a decent amp & speaker set up like this one 😉

 

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yht1840.html

Edited by North Berwick Jambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Mackerel

I've actually got an old but really decent set of Yamaha 5.1 surround system in my attic that I didn't use for long. They need cabled up though. Mty mate worked in Richer Sounds and gave me the pukka cable for free.

 

Expensive at the time.

 

Give us a shout if you want to have a look at them.

Edited by Space Mackerel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dean Winchester

When I moved house a few years ago I found Sony's media center to be pretty perfect for me (BDV-N5200W). It's semi-wireless i.e. the blu-ray player , subwoofer and front facing speakers all sit beside the TV and are cabled up.

 

I've then got a wireless receiver that sits behind my couch and is cabled to the rear speakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
40 minutes ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

A proper wireless 5.1 surround sound system will cost you a small fortune. Soundbars will never produce the same effects as a 5.1 even if you want to waste lots of cash on a Dolby Atmos system so just get a decent amp & speaker set up like this one 😉

 

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yht1840.html

How does this 5.1 package system differentiate from a proper 5.1 system? Or do you just mean the wireless aspect of it?

 

Will look up the reviews of that cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
North Berwick Jambo
14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

How does this 5.1 package system differentiate from a proper 5.1 system? Or do you just mean the wireless aspect of it?

 

Will look up the reviews of that cheers!

 

Yes I just meant the wireless aspect, it costs too much. That Yamaha set up is perfect for home cinema, PS4 etc although it doesn’t have Bluetooth. It has got decent reviews & is much better than the likes of Logitech etc 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
3 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

I've actually got an old but really decent set of Yamaha 5.1 surround system in my attic that I didn't use for long. They need cabled up though. Mty mate worked in Richer Sounds and gave me the pukka cable for free.

 

Expensive at the time.

 

Give us a shout if you want to have a look at them.

Cheers mate i'll keep that in mind if I don't find anything decent/new/cheap!

 

 

Currently looking at these. Only real difference is the Wifi/Alexa stuff but there are some updates to the speakers as well.

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yas207.html

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yas209-black.html

There doesn't seem to be much out there for a true 5.1 system within my budget.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
9 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Cheers mate i'll keep that in mind if I don't find anything decent/new/cheap!

 

 

Currently looking at these. Only real difference is the Wifi/Alexa stuff but there are some updates to the speakers as well.

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yas207.html

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yas209-black.html

There doesn't seem to be much out there for a true 5.1 system within my budget.
 

I've got a yas207 and it's really good, a big improvement on the Panasonic soundboard I used to have.

 

However, it's not a patch on an old Sony 5.1 system I used to have. Don't get me wrong, it's good but it's nothing like having an immersive system. Sadly I can't really have a set up like I used to just now. The one NBJ mentioned will be much more suited to what you're after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
29 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I've got a yas207 and it's really good, a big improvement on the Panasonic soundboard I used to have.

 

However, it's not a patch on an old Sony 5.1 system I used to have. Don't get me wrong, it's good but it's nothing like having an immersive system. Sadly I can't really have a set up like I used to just now. The one NBJ mentioned will be much more suited to what you're after. 

Funny you mention that Sony systems. as I've just found this. 

https://ao.com/product/bdve4100-sony-home-cinema-system-black-34702-110.aspx?&WT.z_PT=AV&WT.z_AT=Home Cinema Systems&WT.z_BR=Sony&WT.z_FT=Free Standing&WT.z_PC=BDVE4100&WT.srch=1&WT.z_MT=Affiliate&WT.z_RTM=PHG&WT.srch=1&WT.z_MT=genieshopping&WT.z_RTM=PHG&WT.z_CN=1101l4683&WT.z_AT=&WT.z_KW=genieshopping&WT.z_KT=PriceComparison

 

I have a relatively old Samsung soundbar with subwoofer which is decent but I have never properly experienced a home 5.1 set up.

 

I don't need to bluray/DVD aspect of this package but assume it will perform as well as a regular receiver style.

 

I'll be looking to connect it to my TV using the ARC HDMI which I've heard is best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Funny you mention that Sony systems. as I've just found this. 

https://ao.com/product/bdve4100-sony-home-cinema-system-black-34702-110.aspx?&WT.z_PT=AV&WT.z_AT=Home Cinema Systems&WT.z_BR=Sony&WT.z_FT=Free Standing&WT.z_PC=BDVE4100&WT.srch=1&WT.z_MT=Affiliate&WT.z_RTM=PHG&WT.srch=1&WT.z_MT=genieshopping&WT.z_RTM=PHG&WT.z_CN=1101l4683&WT.z_AT=&WT.z_KW=genieshopping&WT.z_KT=PriceComparison

 

I have a relatively old Samsung soundbar with subwoofer which is decent but I have never properly experienced a home 5.1 set up.

 

I don't need to bluray/DVD aspect of this package but assume it will perform as well as a regular receiver style.

 

I'll be looking to connect it to my TV using the ARC HDMI which I've heard is best.

Thats probably ideal for what you want. The Yamaha will be much more diverse and will sound better but I'm not sure if me or most normal people would notice. Sony do plug all one plug and play systems well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
18 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Thats probably ideal for what you want. The Yamaha will be much more diverse and will sound better but I'm not sure if me or most normal people would notice. Sony do plug all one plug and play systems well.

 

Ah so you think the Yamaha will provide better sound then despite having to do "fake" surround sound?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
49 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Ah so you think the Yamaha will provide better sound then despite having to do "fake" surround sound?

I might've missed something but I think they're 5.1 surround systems and both have Dolby digital and DTS?  I can't see anything in the processing department that the Sony offers over the Yamaha.

 

I'm sure both will be good but as a general rule Yamaha are up there with the best for receivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
4 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I might've missed something but I think they're 5.1 surround systems and both have Dolby digital and DTS?  I can't see anything in the processing department that the Sony offers over the Yamaha.

 

I'm sure both will be good but as a general rule Yamaha are up there with the best for receivers.

Aye you've got that spot on 👍.

 

I'll keep doing my research and see what's best!

Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrmarkus1981

I've got a Yamaha receiver that has musiccast. You can get wireless back speakers by using two Musiccast 20's. They're quite bulky though and £140 each, so would blow your budget. It is do-able though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrmarkus1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrmarkus1981

Got s new set of Gloss white the other, week. Love them 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
18 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

My understanding would be that wireless speakers would need to be individually plugged in? Or are they all connected with 1 power cable for the lot?

 

I don't currently have a receiver. Would only be using them for the TV so can just plug the main u it directly into that via optical cable?


This is what I have

 

lg sl6y and the wireless speakers give you 5.1 surround superb for films , sport snd games. The sl6y is 420w and i thinks its around £200/£220 now

 

the extra speakers are about £120-£140 now - its the lg-spk8 model (adds an extra 140w)

 

sub is wireless , speakers are wired to a receiver which is wireless from the soundbar

Edited by sadj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
17 hours ago, Taffin said:

 

That's my understanding too, but I had assumed you were powering them from a receiver (don't even know if that's possible tbf!!) so each cable would be going back to a single power source and as such you'd have been as well running the sound through those cables too.

 

It's quite probable that I'm somewhat out of date with how best to do it as I didn't look into wireless when I did mine.

 

Mine goes optical out>receiver>speakers but I guess if you are powering the speakers by another method then you don't really need the receiver...again I'm far from being well clued up on the topic so I shall instead wish you good luck and enjoyment once you're up and running and bow out 😂😂


thats how my rear speakers work 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27

I keep seeing HDMI ARC as one of the best ways to connect your receiver/Blu-ray to the TV. What I want to know however is that if I connect my receiver/blu-ray cinema box via HDMI ARC will it then be able to pull audio from other HDMI ports on the TV such as my PS4 or Switch?

ie HDMI 1 is the ARC connection but HDMI 2 and 3 are my consoles. I'll obviously need the TV to be on HDMI 2 or 3 to see the games on the screen but will the receiver still be able to pull the audio part of the game and send it to the external speakers?

If not I assume the only way around this is the use an optical cable instead of ARC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
31 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I keep seeing HDMI ARC as one of the best ways to connect your receiver/Blu-ray to the TV. What I want to know however is that if I connect my receiver/blu-ray cinema box via HDMI ARC will it then be able to pull audio from other HDMI ports on the TV such as my PS4 or Switch?

ie HDMI 1 is the ARC connection but HDMI 2 and 3 are my consoles. I'll obviously need the TV to be on HDMI 2 or 3 to see the games on the screen but will the receiver still be able to pull the audio part of the game and send it to the external speakers?

If not I assume the only way around this is the use an optical cable instead of ARC?

ARC is mainly for connecting to an AV receiver.

 

Are you planning on getting one?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
10 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

ARC is mainly for connecting to an AV receiver.

 

Are you planning on getting one?

 

I am veering towards the Sony 5.1 system I posted above. Think as good as the Yamaha soundbar appears for the same money a proper 5.1 system will.presumably be better.

 

It comes with a Blu-ray player that acts as the receiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

I am veering towards the Sony 5.1 system I posted above. Think as good as the Yamaha soundbar appears for the same money a proper 5.1 system will.presumably be better.

 

It comes with a Blu-ray player that acts as the receiver.

 

Gotcha.

 

ARC is for playing the sound coming from the TV to the receiver, normally an AV receiver, but if the Sony itself is doing that, the TV should send whatever should be coming from the TV speakers to the receivers speakers.

 

It should work fine.

 

I have mine running through a Denon AV via ARC with all the HDMIs plugged in the back of the AV.  Anything like the Xbox, send it straight to the receiver and out the speakers.  When I play the Netlfix app on the TV, it sends it from the TV back to the receiver then through the speakers.  If I had the Xbox plugged in the back of the TV instead of the AV, it would still send the sound back to the AV via the ARC.

 

Hope that hasn't complicated it more for you.

 

🙂

 

I just recently spent a pile of cash upgrading all mine and it sounds amazing.  Even went for up firing Atmos, which is crap.

 

5.1, or even just 5.0 adds so much to movies but especially games.  Hearing something like Battlefield with full surround sound is amazing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

I keep seeing HDMI ARC as one of the best ways to connect your receiver/Blu-ray to the TV. What I want to know however is that if I connect my receiver/blu-ray cinema box via HDMI ARC will it then be able to pull audio from other HDMI ports on the TV such as my PS4 or Switch?

ie HDMI 1 is the ARC connection but HDMI 2 and 3 are my consoles. I'll obviously need the TV to be on HDMI 2 or 3 to see the games on the screen but will the receiver still be able to pull the audio part of the game and send it to the external speakers?

If not I assume the only way around this is the use an optical cable instead of ARC?


your tv should have an arc out port as one of the hdmis it will take any audio from your tv and relay it through your soundbar. Arc carries better audio output but im not sure how much its noticeable to human ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
16 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I am veering towards the Sony 5.1 system I posted above. Think as good as the Yamaha soundbar appears for the same money a proper 5.1 system will.presumably be better.

 

It comes with a Blu-ray player that acts as the receiver.


Worth doing more research , the output and set up will dictate more about the quality imo. Mine is insane , i cant go above volume 10 when there is battles etc on tv without getting that 😍 feeling. Even watching the game today the audio was playing through the surround sound speakers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft

It's easy to say, but have a look at buying an AV, even a second hand one from Ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

 

Gotcha.

 

ARC is for playing the sound coming from the TV to the receiver, normally an AV receiver, but if the Sony itself is doing that, the TV should send whatever should be coming from the TV speakers to the receivers speakers.

 

It should work fine.

 

I have mine running through a Denon AV via ARC with all the HDMIs plugged in the back of the AV.  Anything like the Xbox, send it straight to the receiver and out the speakers.  When I play the Netlfix app on the TV, it sends it from the TV back to the receiver then through the speakers.  If I had the Xbox plugged in the back of the TV instead of the AV, it would still send the sound back to the AV via the ARC.

 

Hope that hasn't complicated it more for you.

 

🙂

 

I just recently spent a pile of cash upgrading all mine and it sounds amazing.  Even went for up firing Atmos, which is crap.

 

5.1, or even just 5.0 adds so much to movies but especially games.  Hearing something like Battlefield with full surround sound is amazing.

 

 

 

 

 

 


iv got the lg sl6y and spk8 add ons. It runs the hdmi arc from the tv and i hardly use my ps4 so i use that in the port for it as it limits hdr. However the quality is superb , battlefield etc are even more immersive with them. Next step for me will be a receiver and manipulate the onboard 7.1 audio , may need to wait til i have no neighbours though 👌🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

It's easy to say, but have a look at buying an AV, even a second hand one from Ebay.


@Justin Z whats your set up its good quality? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z
Just now, sadj said:


@Justin Z whats your set up its good quality? 

 

Not wireless though, everything is wired through a central receiver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft

I started off looking to replace a 15+ year old Denon amp, which to be fair done me well for all that time.  It was only analogue though and just stereo.  Also had a large pair of Eltac floorstanders.

 

I ended up buying a Denon AVRX 2600 and a full set of ELAC Debut 6.2s including the Atmos speakers.  Ended up costing about £1400 ish.  Knew that it would be me for another 10+ years, so thought **** it.

 

Sounds amazing, but Atmos is a waste of time and money.

 

Now using the Eltac Floorstanders as full surrounds,

 

 

 

Edited by Lovecraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
13 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

 

Gotcha.

 

ARC is for playing the sound coming from the TV to the receiver, normally an AV receiver, but if the Sony itself is doing that, the TV should send whatever should be coming from the TV speakers to the receivers speakers.

 

It should work fine.

 

I have mine running through a Denon AV via ARC with all the HDMIs plugged in the back of the AV.  Anything like the Xbox, send it straight to the receiver and out the speakers.  When I play the Netlfix app on the TV, it sends it from the TV back to the receiver then through the speakers.  If I had the Xbox plugged in the back of the TV instead of the AV, it would still send the sound back to the AV via the ARC.

 

Hope that hasn't complicated it more for you.

 

🙂

 

I just recently spent a pile of cash upgrading all mine and it sounds amazing.  Even went for up firing Atmos, which is crap.

 

5.1, or even just 5.0 adds so much to movies but especially games.  Hearing something like Battlefield with full surround sound is amazing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

That's good to know. I wasn't sure the audio would be sent through the ARC when the TV was switched to a different HDMI.

10 minutes ago, sadj said:


Worth doing more research , the output and set up will dictate more about the quality imo. Mine is insane , i cant go above volume 10 when there is battles etc on tv without getting that 😍 feeling. Even watching the game today the audio was playing through the surround sound speakers

Set up should be ideal as it's going in a spare room in the new house so complete freedom to place speakers wherever. 

8 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

It's easy to say, but have a look at buying an AV, even a second hand one from Ebay.

Sorry to sound daft but what benefit would this offer me over the connections provided by the blu-ray player?

 

Admittedly I'd rather the set up done away with the blu-ray aspect of it and was just a normal receiver as it won't get used but I've not found a comparable product that fits that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

That's good to know. I wasn't sure the audio would be sent through the ARC when the TV was switched to a different HDMI.

Set up should be ideal as it's going in a spare room in the new house so complete freedom to place speakers wherever. 

Sorry to sound daft but what benefit would this offer me over the connections provided by the blu-ray player?

 

Admittedly I'd rather the set up done away with the blu-ray aspect of it and was just a normal receiver as it won't get used but I've not found a comparable product that fits that. 

 The blu ray that comes with the Sony?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

 The blu ray that comes with the Sony?

 

Yeah this one https://ao.com/product/bdve4100-sony-home-cinema-system-black-34702-110.aspx?&WT.z_PT=AV&WT.z_AT=Home Cinema Systems&WT.z_BR=Sony&WT.z_FT=Free Standing&WT.z_PC=BDVE4100&WT.srch=1&WT.z_MT=Affiliate&WT.z_RTM=PHG&WT.srch=1&WT.z_MT=genieshopping&WT.z_RTM=PHG&WT.z_CN=1101l4683&WT.z_AT=&WT.z_KW=genieshopping&WT.z_KT=PriceComparison

 

The speakers all plug into the blu-ray player with proprietary connections. 

Are there any other bonuses to having a standalone AV other than being able to add in your own speakers? I know you can get high end AV's with extra HDMI ports etc but within my budget I'd assume I'm stuck to buying an all in 1 package.

Edited by hughesie27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

The Sony you are looking at only has 1 hmdi connection. 

 

Getting an AV means you can plug all your kit into the one central box.  Xbox, PS4, PC, etc..  AVs usually have at least 4 HDMI ports

 

That means everything is controlled by the AV.  When you switch something on, it will automatically take control of all the audio etc.

 

The main reason for an AV is quality.  They can do lots of audio upscaling and processing.  If you get a decent one, it will do 4K upscaling. 

 

Basically, instead of the Xbox, Bluray or PC doing the decoding of audio, the AV does it, at a far higher quality.

 

It can be an expensive hole start down though.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft

Start off with the Sony and see how it sounds.

 

Go to Richer Sounds and demo stuff.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

The Sony you are looking at only has 1 hmdi connection. 

 

Getting an AV means you can plug all your kit into the one central box.  Xbox, PS4, PC, etc..  AVs usually have at least 4 HDMI ports

 

That means everything is controlled by the AV.  When you switch something on, it will automatically take control of all the audio etc.

 

The main reason for an AV is quality.  They can do lots of audio upscaling and processing.  If you get a decent one, it will do 4K upscaling. 

 

Basically, instead of the Xbox, Bluray or PC doing the decoding of audio, the AV does it, at a far higher quality.

 

It can be an expensive hole start down though.....

I get you now. I'd only need the one HDMI to connect to my TV's ARC HDMI. I'd then have 3 spare in the TV for everything I need (PS4, Switch, Fire TV) . 

I've got a couple of months before we move so will keep an eye out for alternative AV options. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I get you now. I'd only need the one HDMI to connect to my TV's ARC HDMI. I'd then have 3 spare in the TV for everything I need (PS4, Switch, Fire TV) . 

I've got a couple of months before we move so will keep an eye out for alternative AV options. 👍

 No, you just plug them all into the AV with HDMI.

 

So the only cable going from the the TV to the receiver is the 1 ARC cable.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
Just now, Lovecraft said:

 No, you just plug them all into the AV with HDMI.

 

So the only cable going from the the TV to the receiver is the 1 ARC cable.

 

 

Aye, I was meaning if I went with the Sony one above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
On 31/01/2020 at 20:18, Space Mackerel said:

I've actually got an old but really decent set of Yamaha 5.1 surround system in my attic that I didn't use for long. They need cabled up though. Mty mate worked in Richer Sounds and gave me the pukka cable for free.

 

Expensive at the time.

 

Give us a shout if you want to have a look at them.

How come you don't use them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
1 hour ago, Zlatanable said:

How come you don't use them?

 He's just scared to go in his attic.

 

That's why he wants you to look at them.

 

Don't fall for it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
14 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

 He's just scared to go in his attic.

 

That's why he wants you to look at them.

 

Don't fall for it.

 

 

😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
Taffin
13 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Likely to be better than the Sony above? Heard good things on here about Yamamha and the bonus of having a AV over the blu-ray player.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/yamaha-yht1840.html

 

I'd recommend that, I think it's the one North Berwick Jambo posted last week.

 

It's similar to mine and I'm very happy with what I've got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

 

I'd recommend that, I think it's the one North Berwick Jambo posted last week.

 

It's similar to mine and I'm very happy with what I've got.

So be did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Space Mackerel
On 01/02/2020 at 20:54, Zlatanable said:

How come you don't use them?

 

I honestly don't know! I suppose I wanted the cables hidden in walls

On 01/02/2020 at 22:13, Lovecraft said:

 He's just scared to go in his attic.

 

That's why he wants you to look at them.

 

Don't fall for it.

 

 

 

There is a old Cambridge Audio separates system up there too. Amp, CD player and Digital Tuner with Wharfdale speakers. That cost £700 about 16 years ago.  :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SupaJT
On 31/01/2020 at 19:59, North Berwick Jambo said:

A proper wireless 5.1 surround sound system will cost you a small fortune. Soundbars will never produce the same effects as a 5.1 even if you want to waste lots of cash on a Dolby Atmos system so just get a decent amp & speaker set up like this one 😉

 

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yht1840.html

 

Agree with the above, if your intention is to get better sound quality for music then a decent AV receiver / amp and set of speakers is a good setup. If you're a big film buff then surround sound might increase your enjoyment a small amount, but might not be worth the hassle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taffin
1 hour ago, SupaJT said:

 

Agree with the above, if your intention is to get better sound quality for music then a decent AV receiver / amp and set of speakers is a good setup. If you're a big film buff then surround sound might increase your enjoyment a small amount, but might not be worth the hassle. 

 

I'd disagree with the bold bit. I used to just have L+R stereo speakers and a receiver, and whilst good, surround sound makes films much, much better imo. It's also excellent for gaming.

Edited by Taffin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

 

I'd disagree with the bold bit. I used to just have L+R stereo speakers and a receiver, and whilst good, surround sound makes films much, much better imo. It's also excellent for gaming.

 Yup.  It's night and day tbh.

 

As I said earlier up the thread, playing something like Battlefield that has amazing sound design, it makes a huge, huge difference.  

 

Go watch something like Baby Driver or Ready Player One in full surround.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...