Smoking and The Human Condition

Smack

I'm a smoker. Sometimes, whilst sucking on a fag, I reflect on the absolute madness of it. I've ignited a wee circle of paper and tobacco and inhaled it into my lungs. Voluntarily. 

Us humans rationalise our behaviour or normalise it. When you take a step back and look at the things we do and how we explain them.... most of them are utterly bizarre. 

The physiological dependency on nicotine is not that strong.     The dependency is definitely exaggerated by the mental dependency.    The belief that you need the nicotine and also the habitual,   manual act of lighting and handling the cigarette.     Since smoking was removed from workplaces and people have to smoke at designated points,   there is the routine of leaving a desk or other work station at intervals to visit the designated area.

I've never made a serious attempt to stop but one thing you're supposed to do when trying is to remember to wait 5 minutes before having a cigarette that you think you need to have.   Because you'll probably forget you 'needed' it within that time.

I've been on and off the smokes for quite a few years now. The actual stopping I dont find too difficult. However, after a few months I'll be having a few drinks with my mates, 2 of them smoke, and I usually give in when pissed. It is only when I am around people smoking roll ups I give in as I cannot stand tipped fags.

My other weakness which cannget me started again is I sometimes treat myself to a bit of blow. After using a pipe a few times, I'll end up borrowing some baccie and papers from someone.

I am currently off them for the last 2 weeks and I know I won't be on the session for a while, i just need to be more disciplined when on the drink and i will be fine.

Салатные палочки
40 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

IMO physical withdrawal symptoms from nicotine/alchol are over played. It’s out your system in 3 days or something, colds last longer and make you feel worse. We all manage to survive colds very easily. The battle people have with ‘addiction’ is mental not physical.

Perhaps for nicotine but the withdrawals from alcohol can be deadly.  

55 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

IMO physical withdrawal symptoms from nicotine/alchol are over played. It’s out your system in 3 days or something, colds last longer and make you feel worse. We all manage to survive colds very easily. The battle people have with ‘addiction’ is mental not physical.

This just simply isn't supported by medical research or physiology at all--neither the mental/physical claim, nor analogising substance addiction to the body's immune response to a pathogen.

Stopping smoking literally saved my life. I stopped smoking in Jan/Feb 2000 and in May 2003 I had a heart attack. The doctors told me that if I had still been a smoker at the time of the heart attack I would have died. Strangely, I have occasional dreams in which I smoke although I have never had any desire to smoke again since stopping.

31 minutes ago, Cheile said:

Stopping smoking literally saved my life. I stopped smoking in Jan/Feb 2000 and in May 2003 I had a heart attack. The doctors told me that if I had still been a smoker at the time of the heart attack I would have died. Strangely, I have occasional dreams in which I smoke although I have never had any desire to smoke again since stopping.

I was the opposite, smoked 25-30 superkings per day, had a major heart attack and on that day I had my last fag, this was 8 and a half years ago and I've still never had a fag and to be honest I don't even think about them or miss them now.

I had tried a couple of times before to give up, but always fell by the wayside, but after the heart attack it kinda gave me a wee bit more of an incentive to quit, notwithstanding that if I hadn't quit there is a good chance I wouldn't be here now.

I've never smoked, not once in my entire life, as I've never seen the sense of it and I've always had better ways to spend my money.

However, I do drink alcohol and that's just as daft.

I a prolific smoker, and an always sociable and ready to have a beer or two with anyone else who had a few hours quit both cold turkey. I am really not aware of or can remember any physical affects but often felt I can have one of either with no problem. Better sense advised me I didn't need it and I relented and went without. Now very content without either feel better for it, and it is certainly a money saving action.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I haven't smoked tobacco since I was a teenager and I only did it back then because almost all my mates were smokers. Take anyone away from the temptation and they very quickly forget why they craved the object in the first place. Most ex smokers will say that the odour of tobacco now smells terrible to them.

On the subject of booze I have nearly managed to go dry January but my main motivation was to claw back the extra spend of the festive period. However, I have found that I have been eating more rubbish food, probably to make up for missing a good pint or other bevvy. It is very easy to replace one unhealthy-ish habit with another, moderation in what we enjoy seems the best option although cigarettes are still not good at any level of consumption.

Bridge of Djoum
6 hours ago, Smack said:

I'm a smoker. Sometimes, whilst sucking on a fag, I reflect on the absolute madness of it. I've ignited a wee circle of paper and tobacco and inhaled it into my lungs. Voluntarily. 

Us humans rationalise our behaviour or normalise it. When you take a step back and look at the things we do and how we explain them.... most of them are utterly bizarre. 

An entirely different meaning where I live...

I quit 8 years ago, never missed it. 

35 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Had to throw a wee nugget of humour in just to see you if anyone noticed 😉

Talking of sucking on fags, and in response to @Lord BJ, I don't really rationalise the act at all. It's just a systematic part of life which for the most part I try not to think about too much, I've normalised it. 

6 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Not in my experience, I quit tobacco 9 years ago and for 2 weeks it was physically tough, dizzy spells, insomnia, sweating, cramps, headaches, grumpy AF.

I've read that day 3 is peak withdrawal symptoms but for some people the whole thing can drag out for months.

19 minutes ago, Smack said:

Talking of sucking on fags, and in response to @Lord BJ, I don't really rationalise the act at all. It's just a systematic part of life which for the most part I try not to think about too much, I've normalised it. 

Rationalisation can be dangerous, have you ever stopped to think "wait, this is weird, what's actually going on here?" halfway through a shite?

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Rationalisation can be dangerous, have you ever stopped to think "wait, this is weird, what's actually going on here?" halfway through a shite?

😂 No, but there's less choice involved in a jobbie. I would question the consistency of a human expulsion, I'd prefer the neat and tight globes that rabbits produce but that's for another topic. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Smack said:

I never tried to quit before I did. I lit up a 1st ciggie of the day, thought, ''nope **** that and chucked it. Never lit another in 8 years and I haven't wanted one since. I always said I'd quit when I stopped enjoying it. You have to be ready to quit and when you go to light one up and instead think, ''nah'' that's the time to sieze. 

J.T.F.Robertson

Tried the vape a few years ago in hopes of quitting, now do both. :(

Victorian, you're right on, especially your first couple of sentences. At least in relation to me.

32 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Tried the vape a few years ago in hopes of quitting, now do both. :(

Victorian, you're right on, especially your first couple of sentences. At least in relation to me.

I tried the vape as well, I found it worse on my chest when playing fives than when I was smoking. Gave up the vape to go back on the roll ups. I’ve found the nicorete mist spray stuff better. Use it for a couple of weeks with daily doses reducing.

I've been vaping for a few years now, convinced myself, in fact no, it's proven to be far safer than ciggies. Reduced the nicotine content during that time and now vape sans nicotine.

Not sure if it's just habit now or if I get pleasure out of it.

20 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Perhaps for nicotine but the withdrawals from alcohol can be deadly.  

Exactly!

10 year aff, but could start again at anytime. It would be stupid as I'm fitter and it's far TOO! dear. 

Back to the gym this weekend for six month and I'll make it bevvy free, anaw.

Vapes will in time, be shown to be deadlier than smoking. Imo

22 hours ago, Smack said:

16 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I think you need to clarify what it was you gave up. ;) 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

10 year aff, but could start again at anytime. It would be stupid as I'm fitter and it's far TOO! dear. 

Back to the gym this weekend for six month and I'll make it bevvy free, anaw.

Vapes will in time, be shown to be deadlier than smoking. Imo

No they won't. That's not just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

We can already see.

You're right we can. It's lethal, but hey, the said fags we're safe, didn't they.

You sound like that professor who bullshits on the BBC, every time something appears to prove you and him wrong.

America have banned it for a reason.

Just now, ri Alban said:

You're right we can. It's lethal, but hey, the said fags we're safe, didn't they.

You sound like that professor who bullshits on the BBC, every time something appears to prove you and him wrong.

Reminds me of the climate change joke recently.

You’ll know we’re all ****ed when professors come on TV, smoking !

On 31/01/2020 at 17:24, ri Alban said:

You're right we can. It's lethal, but hey, the said fags we're safe, didn't they. Ki

Source for "America" banning it please.

Deaths in America are due to a substance that is banned in the UK, almost all cases have involved liquid containing vitamin e acetate.

Do some research before trying to ridicule someone who disagrees with you.

https://amp.dw.com/en/us-health-officials-link-vaping-deaths-to-vitamin-e-acetate/a-51175748

Edited by graygo

On 31/01/2020 at 17:24, ri Alban said:

Vapes are federally regulated in the same way under the same laws and administrative bodies as cigarettes and other tobacco products. Zero states have banned their use individually.

Remember when I said about you being "accidentally right" about various things, and this bothered you? The primary reason I say this is because more than almost anyone on this forum you say things with 100% sneering confidence that are spectacularly wrong.

35 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Vapes are federally regulated in the same way under the same laws and administrative bodies as cigarettes and other tobacco products. Zero states have banned their use individually.

Remember when I said about you being "accidentally right" about various things, and this bothered you? The primary reason I say this is because more than almost anyone on this forum you say things with 100% sneering confidence that are spectacularly wrong.

Maybe it's just your own sneering that makes you read others posts in your own manner. 👍

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Maybe it's just your own sneering that makes you read others posts in your own manner. 👍

In my own manner? :lol: @graygo owned you as well. You were dead ****ing wrong, and for far from the first time, according to any manner. Yet you're deflecting rather than admitting it, as per.

I have both been a ***** on here and made a ***** of it on here on many, many occasions. I've also admitted it and even had a laugh at it. It's a lot more fun that way. Try it--your ego will survive, I promise.

8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

In my own manner? :lol: @graygo owned you as well. You were dead ****ing wrong, and for far from the first time, according to any manner. Yet you're deflecting rather than admitting it, as per.

I have both been a ***** on here and made a ***** of it on here on many, many occasions. I've also admitted it and even had a laugh at it. It's a lot more fun that way. Try it--your ego will survive, I promise.

Graygo?  Sorry didn't read his pish. I've seen the affects of vaping already. I'll go with that. Cheers! 

Ok American hasn't yet, but ARE and WILL ban it.

Admit whit? Graygo probably sells the new killer. Let's plug some contraption into a wall then put stuff in it and put it on the lungs. Safe as feck!

Anyway, as usual, with Brexit, Boris PM, Trump and the rest, I'll be right again with this Killer of the Gullible. 

Keep Vaping!!!!! 

Oh and @Justin Z, that is not the voice in your patronising head, it's me sneering at you.

Edited by ri Alban

:rofl: Or, just keep on ranting, inventing fairy tales, and entertaining us all.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Anyway, as usual, with Brexit, Boris PM, Trump and the rest, I'll be right again with this Killer of the Gullible.

"Accidentally right" indeed. Thanks for reconfirming. :thumbsup:

Hey @graygo, what do you do for a living if you don't mind my asking? I'm gonna take a wild guess your occupation is not "vape salesman". :rofl:

28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Graygo?  Sorry didn't read his pish. I've seen the affects of vaping already. I'll go with that. Cheers! 

Ok American hasn't yet, but ARE and WILL ban it.

Admit whit? Graygo probably sells the new killer. Let's plug some contraption into a wall then put stuff in it and put it on the lungs. Safe as feck!

Keep Vaping!!!!! 

Oh and @Justin Z, that is not the voice in your patronising head, it's me sneering at you.

America's no banning vapes! Big tobacco are major investors now, we're talking billions, and they've got all the lobbying power in the world.

Inhaling vapour is inherently much less danger than the smoke from burnt combustibles by the way, let alone chemically treated tobacco leaves and paper. I'm not saying it's safe, but as things stand there's no good reason to think it's worse or even as bad as bad as smoking. 

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

America's no banning vapes! Big tobacco are major investors now, we're talking billions, and they've got all the lobbying power in the world.

Inhaling vapour is inherently much less danger than the smoke from burnt combustibles by the way, let alone chemically treated tobacco leaves and paper. I'm not saying it's safe, but as things stand there's no good reason to think it's worse or even as bad as bad as smoking. 

WHAT? A non-howling moonbat, sensible post not full of a bunch of fever dream hallucinations?

giphy.gif

Probably as well that I missed all this and the subsequent meltdown and arrogant failure of @ri Alban to even contemplate being wrong. Absolute refusal to accept facts is never a good starting point in any debate. Even the government's public health department have declared vaping to be up to 95% safer than traditional cigarettes, as others have said, still not completely safe but a hell of a lot safer. 

@Justin Z no I'm not a vape salesman, doesn't matter what I do but I can tell you that smokers cannot do my job, vapers can. 😁

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Probably as well that I missed all this and the subsequent meltdown and arrogant failure of @ri Alban to even contemplate being wrong. Absolute refusal to accept facts is never a good starting point in any debate. Even the government's public health department have declared vaping to be up to 95% safer than traditional cigarettes, as others have said, still not completely safe but a hell of a lot safer. 

@Justin Z no I'm not a vape salesman, doesn't matter what I do but I can tell you that smokers cannot do my job, vapers can. 😁

The bit in bold has been the point all along. :thumbsup: #AccidentallyRight

Spent enough time in respiratory wards over the last few years to see the damage it does, not all through smoking of course but I’d imagine the vast majority are. Of course it your own choice though, I understand that.

I use an e-cig, don't take drugs except a few doobies when in Holland etc but I drink a lot.  I try to ratioanlise it all by saying life is not easy for the vast majority and we all look for that little lift - no matter how small.  I am sure we all know the dangers but it does give you that little lift when required.

12 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I use an e-cig, don't take drugs except a few doobies when in Holland etc but I drink a lot.  I try to ratioanlise it all by saying life is not easy for the vast majority and we all look for that little lift - no matter how small.  I am sure we all know the dangers but it does give you that little lift when required.

Everybody has a crutch that helps them through the day, whether it's beer, fags, drugs, hitting the gym or even going to church. 

Vaping I believe in Canada and the USA is legal I believe.It really  is difficult to criticise the kids you see on TV sucking and blowing the product of their vapes. I seem to remember Trump talking about banning vapes, but as he does after making sweeping statements has listened to some advice and did not act.

The kids worry me but it is difficult to say do not do this when one looks back to the sucking on a penny Woodbine before ones age was even into double figures.Laws have there place, but Prohibition taught a lesson on restricting access to what people see as a recreational right.

Tried to stop lots of times. Just don’t seem to have the will power. 
Anything can trigger it, bad day at work, drinking with mates that smoke or bad news/stress, 

Nothing worse than a non-smoker telling you, you should just stop though.

Yip I know the health risks, yeah I know I stink and yeah, me doing it will encourage younger people around me to do it, but if i found it that easy to stop, I would’ve bloody done it already.

Kudos to those that have managed to stop. I truly do envy you.

I've been on and off them for years.  I find it strange that I can easily give up drink  ( can do for months on end) but struggle more with ciggies.  I tend to only smoke at the weekend when Im out at the pub. I Never smoke during the week and certainly not at work.  So it intrigues me that I can am able to this.?  I have tried swapping smoking ciggies to smoking roll ups .  It actually does help cause one has to make an effort to roll a ciggie whereas you dont have to if you have a pack. I also find if i have tobacco or cigs in the house  I make sure they are out of sight so Im not tempted...it actually helps.  I sometimes smoke the other stuff but thats well under control and only once or twice a week. 

I'm 36, and stopped smoking about 13 years ago now. Just stopped. No patches or any other aid. I found it easy because I wasnt particularly a heavy smoker.

I've seen the ultimate price a heavy smoker pays. My uncle just passed away at 67 after suffering a massive stroke last monday. I was at his bed side in the ICU when he was taken off his life support and it was a ****ing harrowing sight.

AlphonseCapone
On 30/01/2020 at 10:21, Lord BJ said:

You are very wrong when it comes to alcohol addiction, presuming you mean proper addiction and not folk that like a good bevvy. The physical withdrawal symptoms from alcohol addiction isn't something you can have an opinion on, it's based on scientific medicine. 

Some people can experience delirium tremen which can dangerous to the point of death. Quite frankly, comparing the effects of withdrawing from alcohol addiction to having the common cold is not only ignorant, it's extremely insensitive to plight many people go through. 

Smokers are probably the most selfish creatures on this planet.

Carcinogenic fumes and waste, a foul smell and stinking, shitty-breath.

Disgusting individuals.