BBC News

Cade

Is this what this big BBC-hate is all about? Some perceived bias in the independence referendum?

I voted “Yes” but I think “no” is a perfectly legitimate POV (so does the First Minister).

been here before
9 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sky News for example runs at a loss 

Sky News is for idiots.

As for the BBC I seldom watch BBC 1, infact I honestly dont think I could tell you the last programme I watched on it.

BBC2 a few good quizzes. University Challenge always stands out as does only connect which if it had a different host and less contestents so smug that you want to batter tjem.to a pulp, would be a great programme.  The Monkman and Seagull programmes have also been really good.

BBC4 on a Friday night can have some good music stuff on a Friday night.

Scotland and Alba likewise have a few random gems tucked away. Quite a bit of sport docs especially on Alba.

As for BBC News 24 then I wonder if there really is a need for rolling news channels endlesly repeating the same stuff every 30 mins in this day and age.

BBC is great for drama, probably the best. The BBC News network will/has now become FOX news with Boris/Tories pulling the strings.

Edited by ri Alban

15 hours ago, Cade said:

The BBC have announced 450 job cuts in their News department and are seriously narrowing the scope of stories they cover.

Giving up on actual journalism entirely it seems. 

They'll just be reading out government statements from now on (no matter which party is in power).

What a state.

The BBC gave up on journalism around 2012

Салатные палочки

Things worth watching on the BBC One in the last few years....

Line of Duty.  

Really struggling to think of anything else.  

Салатные палочки
9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

BBC News stories

Donald Trump is bad

Gender pay gap

Race equality

Men are bad

Straight people are bad

A minorities feel good story

The Royal family

Female sport

It is suckers like me that pay for it

:facepalm:

You forgot to mention Climate Change. 

A Boy Named Crow

I remember the day I decided BBC News was done. ETA had announced a ceasefire, it wasn’t the first time and you could understand if people were sceptical about it holding...but it was still a proper, interesting news story, unlike the “dog stuck on a cliff in America” thing they went big on! It was incredible. A cynic night think they keep the public stupid by design!

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

BBC News stories

Donald Trump is bad

Gender pay gap

Race equality

Men are bad

Straight people are bad

A minorities feel good story

The Royal family

Female sport

It is suckers like me that pay for it

:facepalm:

23561589_1666611323369292_85609913448972 You're a walking cliche

Салатные палочки

Is it true they still vet the guests for every news programme, chat show and debate show and that they encourage debate but only that that falls within their agenda? 

Why has no one been on the BBC News to ask why well-known paedophile and necrophiliac Jimmy Savile was allowed free-reign to procure children for abuse within the walls of the BBC and why do we still not know why it was allowed to go on for so long despite so many people knowing about it?  Why were people such as Esther Rantzen (amongst many others) allowed to remain on the BBC for years despite her knowing of the abuse of children within the walls of BBC buildings?  

Why did the BBC commission an hour-long Christmas day programme, presented by Shane Ritchie, celebrating the life and times of Savile, despite the many people who knew of his "crimes"? 

Absolutely rank organisation.  Not surprised people refuse to fund them by not paying their licence.  

Horatio Caine
38 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Things worth watching on the BBC One in the last few years....

Line of Duty.  

Really struggling to think of anything else.  

Sportscene?  O wait...

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, Cruyff said:

What is your experience? 

I'll put it another way. 

Netflix has more choice and has better programmes than the BBC. 

For half the price. 

Their current affairs stuff and light entertainment stuff are both a bit poor. As is their website and their national, local and worldwide radio coverage. 

By all means, compare Netflix to the iPlayer; you'll come to your conclusion. 

10 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Is it true they still vet the guests for every news programme, chat show and debate show and that they encourage debate but only that that falls within their agenda? 

Why has no one been on the BBC News to ask why well-known paedophile and necrophiliac Jimmy Savile was allowed free-reign to procure children for abuse within the walls of the BBC and why do we still not know why it was allowed to go on for so long despite so many people knowing about it?  Why were people such as Esther Rantzen (amongst many others) allowed to remain on the BBC for years despite her knowing of the abuse of children within the walls of BBC buildings?  

Why did the BBC commission an hour-long Christmas day programme, presented by Shane Ritchie, celebrating the life and times of Savile, despite the many people who knew of his "crimes"? 

Absolutely rank organisation.  Not surprised people refuse to fund them by not paying their licence.  

So your opinion on the BBC is founded entirely on one case? I'm not arguing against the severity of that case; there were failings all round (though I'm not sure 'necrophiliac' is something 'well-known' about Savile).

I've written about this before and others have already echoed my thoughts. The BBC doesn't get it right every time and sometimes gets it spectacularly wrong but it's tough to please an entire country 100% of the time. At least they manage to balance the grumbles from left and right, high and low. I can look at some of the most popular shows it puts out on telly and say they're a dreadful waste of money - for instance, I wouldn't spend a penny on any cookery/kitchen show and you can shove dancing shows up your hoop. I'd ditch presenters of some of the most popular shows on radio and TV 'cos they get up my nose. But millions of others watch and listen without complaint. 

Take a look at TV in the USA and ask yourself whether that's the kind of thing you really want. 

Can't hang around - I've got to go and follow the live commentary of the Federer v Djokovic semi-final on BBC Sport. 

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I think BBC Scotland is great.  Some good shows on there.

Agreed.

Governor Tarkin

The BBC is far from perfect but it's excellent value for money.

By it's very nature any public broadcaster which has a duty to cater for everybody is going to produce/show a load of stuff that many don't see the point in.

Some folk are just too wrapped up in their own bubble to appreciate what a public service broadcaster is meant to be.

Edit.

...And Countryfile is compelling TV.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

20 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The BBC is far from perfect but it's excellent value for money.

By it's very nature any public broadcaster which has a duty to cater for everybody is going to produce/show a load of stuff that many don't see the point in.

Some folk are just too wrapped up in their own bubble to appreciate what a public service broadcaster is meant to be.

Edit.

...And Countryfile is compelling TV.

And The Archers is compelling Radio!  Josh is in deep s**t with his dodgy trailers....

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Their current affairs stuff and light entertainment stuff are both a bit poor. As is their website and their national, local and worldwide radio coverage. 

By all means, compare Netflix to the iPlayer; you'll come to your conclusion. 

So your opinion on the BBC is founded entirely on one case? I'm not arguing against the severity of that case; there were failings all round (though I'm not sure 'necrophiliac' is something 'well-known' about Savile).

I've written about this before and others have already echoed my thoughts. The BBC doesn't get it right every time and sometimes gets it spectacularly wrong but it's tough to please an entire country 100% of the time. At least they manage to balance the grumbles from left and right, high and low. I can look at some of the most popular shows it puts out on telly and say they're a dreadful waste of money - for instance, I wouldn't spend a penny on any cookery/kitchen show and you can shove dancing shows up your hoop. I'd ditch presenters of some of the most popular shows on radio and TV 'cos they get up my nose. But millions of others watch and listen without complaint. 

Take a look at TV in the USA and ask yourself whether that's the kind of thing you really want. 

Can't hang around - I've got to go and follow the live commentary of the Federer v Djokovic semi-final on BBC Sport. 

:spoton:

Hee haw about what’s happening in France right now with police battling firefighters.

That’s your BBC right there. Not newsworthy seemingly !

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 29/01/2020 at 17:07, The Real Maroonblood said:

Dumping Linekar would be a good start to save money.

A complete waste of space.
He contributes sweet ***** adams to MOTD.

These presenters are pointless.

Just show the goals.

Their opinions are irrelevant 

I was in Berlin, during the Russian World Cup. The German channel just had 2 folk in a studio in Germany, for all the games. Instead of sending about 100 people off on a junket paid for by the tax payer.

On 30/01/2020 at 09:02, Salad Fingers said:

You forgot to mention Climate Change. 

Ah of course.  If there is anything that only a minority of the paying public give a **** about the BBC will cover it.  Another stick to bash the west with.

Can't tolerate BBC News for even 30 seconds.  The word that they talk about and the world I see around me are quite simply poles apart.

7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Can't tolerate BBC News for even 30 seconds.  The word that they talk about and the world I see around me are quite simply poles apart.

That's because the world you see around you only exists in your poisonous little mind

Just now, Cade said:

That's because the world you see around you only exists in your poisonous little mind

Take a day off felly 

The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I was in Berlin, during the Russian World Cup. The German channel just had 2 folk in a studio in Germany, for all the games. Instead of sending about 100 people off on a junket paid for by the tax payer.

Exactly.