Corruption in Scottish Football

colinmaroon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51170484

It's not just agents and it's more than brown envelopes.

Start with the BBC. 

Undue influence (not just numbers) behind all aspects of football coverage, never better illustrated than the amazingly long piece on Reporting Scotland on the Aberdeen 0-0 draw.

Which, in any normal situation, the more newsworthy piece?  That boring match which, as of this moment is largely irrelevant or, "Bottom club, with new manager, exciting style of play and new signings dumping Premiership challengers?"  And then there is the terrible editing of highlights on Sportscene of Hearts victory over Rangers, plus their giigling "stars" etc. etc.

Referee Mr McLean who did his job, awarding the team with most possession more than twice the number of fouls to the team under pressure, most of which weren't fouls in the first place plus not awarding blatant fouls to Hearts, mainly on Boyce?  A truly typical piece of SFA refereeing brilliance.  Never called out on the highlights programme.

All the other media nonsense we get leading up to games against the Uglies?

Corruption includes presenting biased, inaccurate coverage.

Corruption includes giving preferential treatment to two teams and their players.

Corruption is using power, privilege and money to change the natural course of events.

There's much more that could be said but, Scottish Football, as fans around Europe well know and have voiced  stinks to high heaven

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colinmaroon

• Rogue Daddy

• John Findlay

• Boab

26 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51170484

It's not just agents and it's more than brown envelopes.

Start with the BBC. 

Undue influence (not just numbers) behind all aspects of football coverage, never better illustrated than the amazingly long piece on Reporting Scotland on the Aberdeen 0-0 draw.

Which, in any normal situation, the more newsworthy piece?  That boring match which, as of this moment is largely irrelevant or, "Bottom club, with new manager, exciting style of play and new signings dumping Premiership challengers?"  And then there is the terrible editing of highlights on Sportscene of Hearts victory over Rangers, plus their giigling "stars" etc. etc.

Referee Mr McLean who did his job, awarding the team with most possession more than twice the number of fouls to the team under pressure, most of which weren't fouls in the first place plus not awarding blatant fouls to Hearts, mainly on Boyce?  A truly typical piece of SFA refereeing brilliance.  Never called out on the highlights programme.

All the other media nonsense we get leading up to games against the Uglies?

Corruption includes presenting biased, inaccurate coverage.

Corruption includes giving preferential treatment to two teams and their players.

Corruption is using power, privilege and money to change the natural course of events.

There's much more that could be said but, Scottish Football, as fans around Europe well know and have voiced  stinks to high heaven

Yeah but it is all the sweeter when you go into work on days like today and tease the Bluenoses that we beat 14 men. and Defoe is past it, and ask how much they are paying him, then you observe that Rangers without Morelos are distinctly average. They say they thought several refereeing decisions on both sides looked questionable. You LOL at that. They get indignant and follow it up by complaining that Halkett apparently fouled Kamara in the buildup to the equaliser, so you sweetly mention that the referee  must've failed to spot the danger, then use a line from on here about MacLean having to clean the bogs at the Lodge for the next month! Then you point out that Gerrard appears to have given up on half his squad, as he played the same 11 who sneaked a result midweek in Paisley, you ask where the Rangers kids are? Get told there are a couple that played in the cup last weekend and one of them Kai Kennedy (?) was described as the "19th man" by Gerrard...The Bluenose doesn't know what that meant so you suggest it is 11 starters, 7 subs and he is just missing out...then correct yourself and ask how the 3 officials fit in with that idea! 

Glorious.

Honestly its embarrassing how obviously bent it is. 

I wish FIFA would audit leagues to ensure impartiality of the governing bodies and referees association. 

I thought our ref's were bad in the a-league but I was at the game yesterday and was absolutely astounded at how blatant and obvious the bias was, not even trying to hide it, especially being live on TV. 

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Honestly its embarrassing how obviously bent it is. 

I wish FIFA would audit leagues to ensure impartiality of the governing bodies and referees association. 

Hmmm ....FIFA's integrity in recent years is on a par with the GFA

1 minute ago, andythejambo said:

I know, but nonetheless ensuring parity and being seen to be doing all they can do to ensure everyone is getting a fair shake domestically would do a lot to win back that credibility. 

It's never changes in the 30 off years I've been going. We as a club have to be smarter about how we go about things. Like Neilson's comment about practising with 10 men you need to sow the seed in the officials mind before the game that we are watching them.

lost in space
Spoiler

Is game/refs corrupt, in that money is actually changing hands? I have my doubts (not saying it isn't happening).

I think more likley that refs and media persons have favourites and/ or don't want to upset the fans of the uglies.

If you were a ref would you want your children bullied at school or your wife spat at because you gave a wrong decision against the weegie?

This Scotland 2020.

Edited by lost in space
Missed out words

27 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Yesterday was pathetic

Worst since Miko penalty and the great greek skydiver

That match was corrupt  !! And it's always went on !

12 minutes ago, andythejambo said:

True ?  What chance have teams got !

Just now, lost in space said:

Is game/refs corrupt, in that money is actually changing hands? I have my doubts (not saying it isn't happening).

I think more likley that refs and media persons have favourites and/ or don't want to upset the fans of the uglies.

Would you want your children bullied at school or your wife spat at because you gave a wrong decision against the weegie?

This Scotland 2020.

Which is why we need foreign referees or at least ones not from Scotland.

Nothing from outside the pitch should in principle be influencing decisions but we know it is. Having guys that don't give a shiny shite about Scottish football is the best way to ensure impartiality. Bias is bias, and whilst i'm not calling ALL referees cheats, I am saying that on some level they have to be influenced by the vitriol they face if they go against the OF. 

I wouldn't be against developing some sort of british refereeing association to maximise the range of referees available, professionalise the role and ensure that impartiality is never able to be questioned.  

Clark Griswold

We need more Tom English type folk in the SFA and the media, calls it as it is and is not intimated/worried what both of the arse cheeks opinions/agendas are. He’s far too good for the BBC up here. 

Byyy The Light

Changing the referee would be futile. The corruption goes right to the core of the organisation.  It’s systemic throughout every single level and different part of the structure.

They only see the OF, they can’t see anything outside of it. Look at Willie Haughey’s comments when he put up the money to buy Hampden, “Glasgow is Scottish Football” and he wouldn’t stand back and let the National stadium leave Glasgow. The SFA and media gobbled that up and couldn’t see anything wrong with what he said.

I remember at the time of the Comm Games in Glasgow, we qualified to play Rangers in the Reserve Cup Final.  The venue had previously been decided by a coin toss between the competing sides.

On this occasion, Ibrox was being used for the Comm Games and Rangers asked for the game to be played at St M's ground.  That request was duly granted.

Did we just compliantly accept that?  I don't know but why wouldn't have been a coin toss with Tynecasle?

Not saying that is corruption. Too strong a term for a relatively minor matter but it certainly shows favouritism.  Would never have happened in reverse.

5 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

We need VAR. Simple. 

not at all convinced by VAR - having been to games down here where it was being used I have to tell you it ruins the in stadium experience.

I can totally understand why it happens.

McLean gave us a free kick yesterday and had a cup of juice and/or a bottle thrown at him. Can only imagine the crap they have to put up with outside of the stadium

25 minutes ago, lost in space said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If you were a ref would you want your children bullied at school or your wife spat at because you gave a wrong decision against the weegie?

This Scotland 2020.

That is still a definition of corruption  - fear or favour.

Scottish football is totally bent. Has been for years. As I said on another thread earlier - it’s a totally uneven playing field (in the uglies favour) before a ball is kicked at the start of a season. 
Fixtures are preferential ( only the uglies are pre-arranged, if Celtic play 3 at home one season, rangers get 3 the following!!! Nobody else gets this!)

They get the the the lions share of televised games - ie. rich getting richer. 
While I don’t believe brown paper bags are passed to refs... like somebody else said, pressure to give decisions for the uglies is greater (crowd intimidation?) plus most support one of them. 
...ffs, even the league with its split is geared up for them - in fact, when the league was conceived motions could be blocked with 2 nae votes ie. if the uglies didn’t like proposals they could both reject them (this, I think has since changed. )

...and don’t get me started on the SFA! Seriously, I wish they would both **** off to engurland... it would be the MAKING of Scottish football again. 

Diadora Van Basten

The most blatant example is that the media are scared to say that Rangers went into liquidation and Jim Spence was thrown under the bus when he spoke about the old club by the BBC.

Absolute pish from the OP imo.

not sure if he’s ever been to a country where ‘corruption’ is rife.

referees here are sometimes poor and influenced by the crowd and the press. Maclean was dreadful yesterday and the worst I’ve seen in a while.

however the offside goal was indeed offside and the OPs use of the word ‘corruption’ suggests to me that he or she has limited understanding of either the English language, or the world in which we live.

transfers of players , agents, managers etc would be interesting for sure.

as far as officials go, I just think it’s borderline individual  bias rather than anything sinister.

28 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

not at all convinced by VAR - having been to games down here where it was being used I have to tell you it ruins the in stadium experience.

Totally agree. It would drive folk away if it came in here. As much as I despise the old firm and the decisions they often get I just hate VAR and the stop / start etc. 

Ah yes and the bbc a ‘corrupt’ broadcaster...

Seriously, has the OP ever actually been anywhere abroad in his whole darned life?

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Totally agree. It would drive folk away if it came in here. As much as I despise the old firm and the decisions they often get I just hate VAR and the stop / start etc. 

Agree... VAR is only as good as it’s operator/decision maker... who would also (more than likely) be of an ugly persuasion?!... it would just wind us up even more! 😂😂😂

But, in principal, I think we can do without it. 

1 minute ago, Under the floodlight said:

BBC has a lot of faults including their constant assertion that they are an unbiased organisation.

Unbiased they ain’t! They’re just under the same misguided delusion that Scottish Football ‘needs’ them and the money they bring/generate... much the same as the SFA - ergo, ‘we cannae piss them off’! PISH!

17 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

Ah yes and the bbc a ‘corrupt’ broadcaster...

Seriously, has the OP ever actually been anywhere abroad in his whole darned life?

Romania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia (as was) Morocco, Egypt, Soviet Union, every major country in Western Europe, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Baltic States +

Do you know what "corrupt" means?

If you're old enough, you might remember on here I got slagged off for talking about corruption ref the now dead Rangers before they went belly up!  Nothing has happened to change my mind but a lot of others have.

If you don't think their is corruption in Scotland, and if you think that the BBC are totally impartial and do not make decisions based on fear or favour, you are at best naïve. 

Edited by colinmaroon

32 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

Absolute pish from the OP imo.

not sure if he’s ever been to a country where ‘corruption’ is rife.

referees here are sometimes poor and influenced by the crowd and the press. Maclean was dreadful yesterday and the worst I’ve seen in a while.

however the offside goal was indeed offside and the OPs use of the word ‘corruption’ suggests to me that he or she has limited understanding of either the English language, or the world in which we live.

This is your reasoning:

There are more murders in USA than in UK, therefore, there are no murders in the UK.  Or, are they just wee murders in the UK?

It's a matter of degree but corruption is the same whether it is millions of quid or a few pounds, or a favour, or bias, or fear.

PS I've got a lot more "understanding" of the world we live in than you have, obviously.

Edited by colinmaroon

ToadKiller Dog

I dont think our refs are corrupt in the sense that they take bribes ,they to my mind seem to hold bias towards certain clubs and allowed to hold an obvious dislike of others  dependent on their own background and go unpunished from their overseers. 

This to me has come from favoritism towards refs from two areas of the country when it comes to promotion and advancement, its produced refs who think they can do what they like .

The refs department need modernised made more open and fair .

This is an institutional bias within the SFA and its media support system.

The hampden ,murrayfield decision farce showed this at it's best. 

The spfl set up and self interest of clubs will ensure the ugly sisters will always hold all the cards .

Our best response and that of other bigger clubs  it to produce the best teams we can ,a good side that can challenge at times ,this will highlight the bias in our game .

The Scottish game has its problems but to describe it as ‘corrupt’ is an abuse of the language.

As you’ve been to these places, you must know what real corruption looks like, and feels like.

Yesterday, the referee screwed up repeatedly, especially in the first half. But the idea that he Is ‘corrupt’ simply devalues both the language, and valid criticism of his performance.

as for the idea that BBC Sportscene is ‘corrupt’ - as opposed to being simply gash - I just don’t know where to start. In what direction, and to whose benefit, is the money allegedly flowing?

SectionDJambo

Corruption in Scottish football doesn’t have to involve receiving money to an individual. 
In can be a fear of abuse or violence in your life away from football. Or just favouring your team, in a not too obvious way. Maybe you just wouldn’t like a club due to previous experience.
Media reporting unsubstantiated stories to destabilise a club or player with the intention of benefiting other clubs. Media giving more air time to certain clubs, with favourable editing or summary.

Deliberate geographic appointments of officials, on the quiet of course. 
Many other possible examples, surely. Mostly because it’s human nature.

3 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

The Scottish game has its problems but to describe it as ‘corrupt’ is an abuse of the language.

As you’ve been to these places, you must know what real corruption looks like, and feels like.

Yesterday, the referee screwed up repeatedly, especially in the first half. But the idea that he Is ‘corrupt’ simply devalues both the language, and valid criticism of his performance.

as for the idea that BBC Sportscene is ‘corrupt’ - as opposed to being simply gash - I just don’t know where to start. In what direction, and to whose benefit, is the money allegedly flowing?

First, don't hide your argument behind not posting what you're replying to.  Corrupt posting!!!

Second, do you think that any referees have given decisions, going against the obvious evidence, with regards to "their" team, either to its benefit or detriment?  Fear that they will be accused of bias, as at Dens in 86 for the latter, or too many Uglies games to mention, not just against us - the infamous game Rangers v Dundee Utd at Ibrox? Linesman Davis?

You don't know anyone in this country who has been hired, promoted because of who they know, or fired for no other reason than they were wanted out for, say their beliefs, or ethnicity and so on.

Corruption involves quote: lack of integrity or honesty.

18 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

It must be coincidence that the "screw ups" are always in their favour.

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Changing the referee would be futile. The corruption goes right to the core of the organisation.  It’s systemic throughout every single level and different part of the structure.

They only see the OF, they can’t see anything outside of it. Look at Willie Haughey’s comments when he put up the money to buy Hampden, “Glasgow is Scottish Football” and he wouldn’t stand back and let the National stadium leave Glasgow. The SFA and media gobbled that up and couldn’t see anything wrong with what he said.

Some of those Glaswegians have a right chip on their shoulders. Their partisan outlook poisons everything they touch - the SFA, the bbc, newspapers, local politics. 

1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

We need VAR. Simple. 

How would that help - lets go over to the VAR offical Willie Collum at the the GFA media centre.

Correct decision penalty to Celtic and the yellow for the Hearts player shoud be a red.

18 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

I dont think our refs are corrupt in the sense that they take bribes ,they to my mind seem to hold bias towards certain clubs and allowed to hold an obvious dislike of others  dependent on their own background and go unpunished from their overseers. 

This to me has come from favoritism towards refs from two areas of the country when it comes to promotion and advancement, its produced refs who think they can do what they like .

The refs department need modernised made more open and fair .

This is an institutional bias within the SFA and its media support system.

The hampden ,murrayfield decision farce showed this at it's best. 

The spfl set up and self interest of clubs will ensure the ugly sisters will always hold all the cards .

Our best response and that of other bigger clubs  it to produce the best teams we can ,a good side that can challenge at times ,this will highlight the bias in our game .

Unfortunately you’re right - all clubs CEO’s want their ‘big 4 gates’ each season against the uglies! And here we are with the crappest league set up ever!... it doesn’t make it right however. 

...as for our only response, once we or anyone else produce talent to challenge, the uglies just buy them to sit on their bench ‘ keeping the money in Scotland’... God bless them. 

Say what you like about Romanov, he hated the old firm and refused to sell our players to them! He even cut their away support allocation! 😂😂😂 I’m afraid nothing will change in Scottish football until all club owners (and the SFA) grow a set of balls and treat the uglies the way Romanov did!

4 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Unfortunately you’re right - all clubs CEO’s want their ‘big 4 gates’ each season against the uglies! And here we are with the crappest league set up ever!... it doesn’t make it right however. 

...as for our only response, once we or anyone else produce talent to challenge, the uglies just buy them to sit on their bench ‘ keeping the money in Scotland’... God bless them. 

Say what you like about Romanov, he hated the old firm and refused to sell our players to them! He even cut their away support allocation! 😂😂😂 I’m afraid nothing will change in Scottish football until all club owners (and the SFA) grow a set of balls and treat the uglies the way Romanov did!

I would like us to do both of these things.

Under Stendel, we could get to the point where demand for tickets from Hearts fans means we can justify only giving Rangers and Celtic two sections. The knock on effect of fewer of their fans and more of ours is that Tynecastle will be far more intimidating for their players... and their referees.