Corruption in Scottish Football

colinmaroon

1 minute ago, gnasher75 said:

I would like us to do both of these things.

Under Stendel, we could get to the point where demand for tickets from Hearts fans means we can justify only giving Rangers and Celtic two sections. The knock on effect of fewer of their fans and more of ours is that Tynecastle will be far more intimidating for their players... and their referees.

👍 totally! 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colinmaroon

• Rogue Daddy

• John Findlay

• Boab

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Honestly its embarrassing how obviously bent it is. 

I wish FIFA would audit leagues to ensure impartiality of the governing bodies and referees association. 

They’re even more bent than the SFA, when’s Blatters trial again? Infantiino is just as bad, smiling with Trump one week and talking about racism being a societal problem the next.

Sexton Hardcastle

When any kind of decision, bad or soft, goes against the OF there is an instant cry for corruption and the top wigs at either club demand improvements.

Other sides, is included, get shafted week in week out and yesterday’s performance just highlights the glaring issue. But they won’t acknowledge it unless it gives them any kind of edge.

The media just hide it as well. ***** like Spiers. He really is an absolute arsehole of a man.

19 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

First, don't hide your argument behind not posting what you're replying to.  Corrupt posting!!!

Second, do you think that any referees have given decisions, going against the obvious evidence, with regards to "their" team, either to its benefit or detriment?  Fear that they will be accused of bias, as at Dens in 86 for the latter, or too many Uglies games to mention, not just against us - the infamous game Rangers v Dundee Utd at Ibrox? Linesman Davis?

You don't know anyone in this country who has been hired, promoted because of who they know, or fired for no other reason than they were wanted out for, say their beliefs, or ethnicity and so on.

Corruption involves quote: lack of integrity or honesty.

Tried to be reasonable but clearly wasting my time.

No point entering a dialogue with someone who doesn’t bother to choose their words.

The challenge for HMFC is to compete on the pitch, not to fall back on this ‘it’s a conspiracy’ pish.

Be interesting to know when McLean last refereed a Rangers game. Seemed to making up for lost time. Maybe  it's been a while for some reason.

There is a definite bias against us from officials on the park. Lots of decisions I’ve witnessed over the years that have gone against us are quite simply not down to incompetence. 
The route of the problem as I see it stems from the West Coast centric structure of the SFA. 
The Scottish media (all forms) also favour the Glasgow darlings, one of the main reasons is numbers of viewers and readers. It’s where their money comes from so they play up to them. We, the rest get the crumbs. 

39 minutes ago, Biko said:

How would that help - lets go over to the VAR offical Willie Collum at the the GFA media centre.

Correct decision penalty to Celtic and the yellow for the Hearts player shoud be a red.

In a nutshell.  

3 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51170484

It's not just agents and it's more than brown envelopes.

Start with the BBC. 

Undue influence (not just numbers) behind all aspects of football coverage, never better illustrated than the amazingly long piece on Reporting Scotland on the Aberdeen 0-0 draw.

Which, in any normal situation, the more newsworthy piece?  That boring match which, as of this moment is largely irrelevant or, "Bottom club, with new manager, exciting style of play and new signings dumping Premiership challengers?"  And then there is the terrible editing of highlights on Sportscene of Hearts victory over Rangers, plus their giigling "stars" etc. etc.

Referee Mr McLean who did his job, awarding the team with most possession more than twice the number of fouls to the team under pressure, most of which weren't fouls in the first place plus not awarding blatant fouls to Hearts, mainly on Boyce?  A truly typical piece of SFA refereeing brilliance.  Never called out on the highlights programme.

All the other media nonsense we get leading up to games against the Uglies?

Corruption includes presenting biased, inaccurate coverage.

Corruption includes giving preferential treatment to two teams and their players.

Corruption is using power, privilege and money to change the natural course of events.

There's much more that could be said but, Scottish Football, as fans around Europe well know and have voiced  stinks to high heaven

Great post. BBC sports take every opportunity of have a pop at Hearts and ignore any positivity!

33 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

No point entering a dialogue with someone who doesn’t bother to choose their words.

The challenge for HMFC is to compete on the pitch, not to fall back on this ‘it’s a conspiracy’ pish.

I fail to see how anyone could have watched the game yesterday and did not have at least a modicum of belief that the referee was corrupt.

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

I fail to see how anyone could have watched the game yesterday and did not have at least a modicum of belief that the referee was corrupt.

I think that part of the debate on this thread is over the use of the word corrupt.  Was the referee corrupt, biased, or incompetent?

The media is almost certainly biased.  But are they corrupt?  I think that's the gist of the discussion.

30 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

There is a definite bias against us from officials on the park. Lots of decisions I’ve witnessed over the years that have gone against us are quite simply not down to incompetence. 
The route of the problem as I see it stems from the West Coast centric structure of the SFA. 
The Scottish media (all forms) also favour the Glasgow darlings, one of the main reasons is numbers of viewers and readers. It’s where their money comes from so they play up to them. We, the rest get the crumbs. 

Of course there is a bias against us. It has gone on for years.

Takis Fyssas red card against Celtic in 2006 was proof of that - amongst many more rotten decisions.

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think that part of the debate on this thread is over the use of the word corrupt.  Was the referee corrupt, biased, or incompetent?

The media is almost certainly biased.  But are they corrupt?  I think that's the gist of the discussion.

I suppose that is determined by what you believe constitutes "personal gain" in relation to referees in Scotland.

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I would say they are most definitely corrupt.  They peddle untruths and down right lies in order to gain financially (sales) or for personal gain. Succulent lamb anyone?

52 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

That was a dictionary definition.

You are playing a blinder!

VAR wouldn't have made any difference on Sunday as giving fouls the wrong way and corners when it should have been a by kick for us doesnt get looked at anyway. 

Celtic and rangers moan about lack of competition in the league but do everything they can to keep scottish football biased towards them. It's happened for decades. Sunday isnt anything new. 

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Unfortunately you’re right - all clubs CEO’s want their ‘big 4 gates’ each season against the uglies! And here we are with the crappest league set up ever!... it doesn’t make it right however. 

...as for our only response, once we or anyone else produce talent to challenge, the uglies just buy them to sit on their bench ‘ keeping the money in Scotland’... God bless them. 

Say what you like about Romanov, he hated the old firm and refused to sell our players to them! He even cut their away support allocation! 😂😂😂 I’m afraid nothing will change in Scottish football until all club owners (and the SFA) grow a set of balls and treat the uglies the way Romanov did!

Could have swore Hartley and Pressley went to Celtic under the Romanov regime.

Seem to recall someone coming on here a while ago claiming that there has been a ridiculously low number of Edinburgh based referees for Scottish Cup Finals.

Pretty sure it was single figures.

I never followed it up and checked the accuracy of it myself, but says it all if it is true.

Last one I recall was Gretna's 12th man in 2006,...... that hubz season ticket holder.

2 hours ago, Biko said:

How would that help - lets go over to the VAR offical Willie Collum at the the GFA media centre.

Correct decision penalty to Celtic and the yellow for the Hearts player shoud be a red.

Exactly.

We'd get situations where a Hearts player would get completely cleaned out in the penalty box.

Penalty awarded, reviewed, and then rescinded because of an imaginary touch on the ball by the defender during the tackle, visible only to the weegie VAR official.

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Great post. BBC sports take every opportunity of have a pop at Hearts and ignore any positivity!

Absolutely , as an Ex pat i listen to the Sportsounds midweek podcasts, is fecking mureder at times with the only chat being about the OF. Ove rthe last week the outcry about Morelas , whether in defense or against him from the BBC pundits has been crigeworthly . John Hartson, proved himself to be a total knob of the first degree as well 

10 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

We need VAR. Simple. 

VAR in Scotlan, no thanks. You'll have Collum, Madden and Beaton in the VAR room with Son of Dallas on the field. Think I prefer the corrupt cheats we currently have to put up with, without the aforementioned behind the scenes. Unless they show on big screens to the crowd the incident being reviewed, but that will never happen.

Cairneyhill Jambo

The last para in the article says it all really

"The SFA and Scottish Professional Football League declined to comment when approached by the BBC."

11 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51170484

It's not just agents and it's more than brown envelopes.

Start with the BBC. 

Undue influence (not just numbers) behind all aspects of football coverage, never better illustrated than the amazingly long piece on Reporting Scotland on the Aberdeen 0-0 draw.

Which, in any normal situation, the more newsworthy piece?  That boring match which, as of this moment is largely irrelevant or, "Bottom club, with new manager, exciting style of play and new signings dumping Premiership challengers?"  And then there is the terrible editing of highlights on Sportscene of Hearts victory over Rangers, plus their giigling "stars" etc. etc.

Referee Mr McLean who did his job, awarding the team with most possession more than twice the number of fouls to the team under pressure, most of which weren't fouls in the first place plus not awarding blatant fouls to Hearts, mainly on Boyce?  A truly typical piece of SFA refereeing brilliance.  Never called out on the highlights programme.

All the other media nonsense we get leading up to games against the Uglies?

Corruption includes presenting biased, inaccurate coverage.

Corruption includes giving preferential treatment to two teams and their players.

Corruption is using power, privilege and money to change the natural course of events.

There's much more that could be said but, Scottish Football, as fans around Europe well know and have voiced  stinks to high heaven

The BBC are the mouthpiece of the old firm and the British establishment. Have been for years. 

If you can control the narrative etc...

Football games can be won on small margins. Especially if your continually getting the small margins. 

The amount of 'soft' fouls given to rangers was staggering. 

There was a blatant push on a hearts player in our half deep into injury time which was waved away, this allowed rangers to continue attacking. 

Byyy The Light

Andy Walker said 2 or 3 times during commentary...I’ve no idea why the ref has blown there. Each time it was to bring a Hearts attack to an end. Boyce twice and Souttar in the box after a corner.

7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Could have swore Hartley and Pressley went to Celtic under the Romanov regime.

You’re probably right... weren’t they sacked after the famous ‘rebellious 3’ press conference? I can’t really remember. 
the point I was making was that nothing will change until the rest of the league and SFA  stand up to the uglies... which would probably result in a bit of lost revenue (which will scare off the owners!)
You do get the odd Aberdeen or Dundee UTD or Hearts threatening... but it doesn’t last unfortunately. 

9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

In a nutshell.  

Most likely Mr Maclean is a decent chap.

A law-abiding citizen, a family man, perhaps the odd parking ticket or speeding fine to his name, who knows.
I don’t suppose that he has ever robbed a bank, stolen a tank, hit a person with a big stick or committed any serious financial sleight of hand.

However, we know, the footballing fraternity here in Scotland know that Mr Maclean is a ‘Rangers Man’. The latest in line of grievous performances against Hearts indicate without much doubt that he is incapable of officiating with grace and impartiality on such an occasion as Sunday.

Mr Maclean is either a cheat (my preferred option) or simply has a distorted view on reality due to nurturing bias. But analysis of Sunday's game leaves little doubt that he was fully conscious of his actions as he willed his team forward in an effort to salvage at least a draw.

Unfortunately, he is only a snowflake atop of a very large iceberg.

Edited by alfajambo

Just now, Rogue Daddy said:

You’re probably right... weren’t they sacked after the famous ‘rebellious 3’ press conference? I can’t really remember. 
the point I was making was that nothing will change until the rest of the league and SFA  stand up to the uglies... which would probably result in a bit of lost revenue (which will scare off the owners!)
You do get the odd Aberdeen or Dundee UTD or Hearts threatening... but it doesn’t last unfortunately. 

Pressley played the next game but had his contract terminated after that and didn’t go to Parkhead. End of Oct 2006.

Hartley went in the Jan and Gordon went down south the following summer, 2007.

Not full on corruption but subconscious bias?

70 odd percent of everything in Scottish football (fans, referees, authorities, lower league boardrooms) is made of supporters of two clubs and due to the religious element potentially another 10 percent of the rest positively favouring one of them or at least being asked or expected to have them as a favourite over the other or as even a second team....

A toxic mix.

7 hours ago, fila said:

Absolutely , as an Ex pat i listen to the Sportsounds midweek podcasts, is fecking mureder at times with the only chat being about the OF. Ove rthe last week the outcry about Morelas , whether in defense or against him from the BBC pundits has been crigeworthly . John Hartson, proved himself to be a total knob of the first degree as well 

It’s hardly surprising considering they are only interested in having ex OF players as pundits - Walker, Commons, Hartson, McCoist, McCann, Thomson....

32 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Not full on corruption but subconscious bias?

70 odd percent of everything in Scottish football (fans, referees, authorities, lower league boardrooms) is made of supporters of two clubs and due to the religious element potentially another 10 percent of the rest positively favouring one of them or at least being asked or expected to have them as a favourite over the other or as even a second team....

A toxic mix.

'Subconscious bias'... is spot on imo. I don't think they're essentially corrupt but, yes, the majority of Scottish football and it's officials support one of the uglies in some shape or form.

I think it's highlighted most when the old firm play in Europe and are decidedly average (or found out)... there they don't have the 'support' of the neutral refs and officials. This, for me, highlights their bias most.

...and then they blame their poor results on 'lack of opposition in Scotland' even though they buy up any challenging talent they can get their grubby hands on, from the rest of us.

11 hours ago, Biko said:

Funny as Feck 😂

Very true though👍

11 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

Reasonable ? 🤭

15 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

'Subconscious bias'... is spot on imo. I don't think they're essentially corrupt but, yes, the majority of Scottish football and it's officials support one of the uglies in some shape or form.

I think it's highlighted most when the old firm play in Europe and are decidedly average (or found out)... there they don't have the 'support' of the neutral refs and officials. This, for me, highlights their bias most.

...and then they blame their poor results on 'lack of opposition in Scotland' even though they buy up any challenging talent they can get their grubby hands on, from the rest of us.

Spot on mate.

Ex member of the SaS

There was an incident some years ago, The game at Ibrox, after the game ref went to his car and it wouldn't start. Bosses at Ibrox game him a pool car to use until he could get his fixed.

Now can you tell me that was not in his mind the next time he reffed the Huns?

2 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

We got 1.3M for Hartley.

There is a huge difference between being biased in giving decisions, and just straight up cheating.

Biased is giving Rangers the benefit of the doubt in a 50/50 challenge.  Cheating is giving them a foul when they attempt to use Boyce as a stepladder for the 5th time in a row.

Some of the decisions I can live with, like the giving a yellow card for a red card challenge.  It's frustrating knowing that had the roles been reversed, it would have been a straight red for us, but I can live with it.  It's the other, more blatant cheating that annoys me; allowing Rangers players to steal yards at throw ins, fouls in the box at corners when our players were the ones having their shirts pulled, ignoring offside decisions for the away team, etc. etc. etc.

There was a piece last year on the BBC Iplayer about Collum as he was the cup final ref. He mentioned that the coin they use for the toss was a gift from the New Zealand association of refs to the GLASGOW ASDOCIATION OF REFEREES OF WHICH I AM A MEMBER. That sentence alone should have disbarred him from the final as a Glasgow team was participating. MacDonald should never have got 2006 as an Edunburgh team was participating.

Edited by John Findlay

Dodgy refereeing decisions have been going on for as long as I can remember, particularly against the old firm. I have video and dvd Hearts highlights from every season going back to 1986 and one of them that sticks out is a 0-0 with Rangers at Tynecastle when Terry Butcher blatantly moved his hand towards the ball (which was going in the goal) and the ref blanked it. Even the commentator Archie McPherson said it was a definite handball. Another was a Hampden semi-final when Barry Ferguson (after a cross into the box) stopped the ball going past him by sticking his hand out and the ball fell at his foot where he turned and scored. Every replay showed it was the most blatant handball you could see. I could go on and on throughout the last 30-odd years where we've lost goals and been given dodgy decisions against both halves of the old squirm. Oh...Takis Fyssas being sent off in a six-pointer game against Celtic. Winning the game we were and they were given two free-kicks from the area Fyssas would've been defending, and scored both times. So from being only three points (if we'd won) behind them in the title challenge we were nine behind which effectively killed the challenge. But it's ok, they decided that Fyssas was red-carded wrongly and dropped his ban. Too late! Challenge was over! Vladimir Romanov sussed it all out after only a few months at Hearts and constantly pulled them up over it. Hearts were then a "marked-man" by the powers that be, made sure refs booked our players more than other clubs, some ridiculous bookings at that. Didn't Pinilla get booked at Pittodrie for making a "rock the baby" gesture after a goal? Hearts were given heavy fines for indiscipline more than once, but around half of bookings were laughable. Even before Vlad it was obvious to everyone.

12 hours ago, number witheld said:

Whatever happened to announcing where the ref was from before the match?

Hardly worth the bother these days. It will be somewhere West of Harthill. In years gone by, we had refs from Edinburgh, Dalkeith, Kirkcaldy, Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen, even Newport-On-Tay. I've heard rumours of decent refs from the East Region being bypassed to Grade 1, whilst others such as Andrew Dallas appeared to get fast tracked. Again, it's maybe not how good you are, rather how good your connections are.

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Dodgy refereeing decisions have been going on for as long as I can remember, particularly against the old firm. I have video and dvd Hearts highlights from every season going back to 1986 and one of them that sticks out is a 0-0 with Rangers at Tynecastle when Terry Butcher blatantly moved his hand towards the ball (which was going in the goal) and the ref blanked it. Even the commentator Archie McPherson said it was a definite handball. Another was a Hampden semi-final when Barry Ferguson (after a cross into the box) stopped the ball going past him by sticking his hand out and the ball fell at his foot where he turned and scored. Every replay showed it was the most blatant handball you could see. I could go on and on throughout the last 30-odd years where we've lost goals and been given dodgy decisions against both halves of the old squirm. Oh...Takis Fyssas being sent off in a six-pointer game against Celtic. Winning the game we were and they were given two free-kicks from the area Fyssas would've been defending, and scored both times. So from being only three points (if we'd won) behind them in the title challenge we were nine behind which effectively killed the challenge. But it's ok, they decided that Fyssas was red-carded wrongly and dropped his ban. Too late! Challenge was over! Vladimir Romanov sussed it all out after only a few months at Hearts and constantly pulled them up over it. Hearts were then a "marked-man" by the powers that be, made sure refs booked our players more than other clubs, some ridiculous bookings at that. Didn't Pinilla get booked at Pittodrie for making a "rock the baby" gesture after a goal? Hearts were given heavy fines for indiscipline more than once, but around half of bookings were laughable. Even before Vlad it was obvious to everyone.

Think the Pinilla one was the 3-1 game ?

I was at that and he got sent off for two ridiculous yellows. Scored a peach though.

11 hours ago, Busby8 said:

Seem to recall someone coming on here a while ago claiming that there has been a ridiculously low number of Edinburgh based referees for Scottish Cup Finals.

Pretty sure it was single figures.

I never followed it up and checked the accuracy of it myself, but says it all if it is true.

Last one I recall was Gretna's 12th man in 2006,...... that hubz season ticket holder.

3 from the East in 141 finals, according to our ex-manager....

Just now, andythejambo said:

3 from the East in 141 finals, according to our ex-manager....

2 !

McDonald must have got his badge from a lucky bag !

Never a ref in his life.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

There is a huge difference between being biased in giving decisions, and just straight up cheating.

Biased is giving Rangers the benefit of the doubt in a 50/50 challenge.  Cheating is giving them a foul when they attempt to use Boyce as a stepladder for the 5th time in a row.

Some of the decisions I can live with, like the giving a yellow card for a red card challenge.  It's frustrating knowing that had the roles been reversed, it would have been a straight red for us, but I can live with it.  It's the other, more blatant cheating that annoys me; allowing Rangers players to steal yards at throw ins, fouls in the box at corners when our players were the ones having their shirts pulled, ignoring offside decisions for the away team, etc. etc. etc.

TBF Clare stole half the pitch at every throw before the ref told him to go back.

As long as club owners and chairmen/women are happy to keep their mouths shut and take the Old Firm boaby then it will never change.

We can moan as much as we like but our club and every other is complicit in this.

Vlad at least had a set of spacehopper sized bollocks and stood up to them.

Not defending the ref for a second because over-all he was horrendous, but I was genuinely surprised when he blew the whistle on exactly 93 minutes, with Sevco in possession wide left and a chance of a cross into the box. They usually let the last movement play itself out before blowing.

12 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

As long as club owners and chairmen/women are happy to keep their mouths shut and take the Old Firm boaby then it will never change.

We can moan as much as we like but our club and every other is complicit in this.

100%! Vlad hated them! All the owners outside the OF want the money they offer be it transfer fees, bigger gates, tv rights... they don't want to lose out on the £££'s. The only way there will be real change is for the other 10 to stand up to them... (and SFA - same thing really.)

It'll never happen. Unless they ****off down south.

13 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm not sure that referees are corrupt, per se. I'm more of the opinion that there is a tremendous pressure on them to favour the OF. If decisions go against the OF, the OF will bleat to the media, their fans will get all riled up, and life will be made uncomfortable for the referee and his family. Much easier for the referee to give the benefit of the doubt to the OF team and to make sure that no major decisions go against them.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

This.

Big time.