Burton fans have their say on Boyce's debut....

Section Q

13 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Well into 6 figures according to the club. At the time some fans thought it was no big deal and thought it was a small amount. I always thought it was excessive for our club and the money should be spent on the 1st team.  The question is would you rather sign another Boyce or put the money into women’s football.  

If that's the question I'd rather sign more players but is it the question. As a modern progressive club we can't just spend every penny on players. Not talking about right now and us being bottom of the league but more in general terms.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• McCrae

• Rudy T

• Section Q

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Well into 6 figures according to the club. At the time some fans thought it was no big deal and thought it was a small amount. I always thought it was excessive for our club and the money should be spent on the 1st team.  The question is would you rather sign another Boyce or put the money into women’s football.  

Apparently we’ve done both. 

Love reading fans forums from proper salt of the Earth clubs like Burton and Barnsley.  This is where 'real' football lies and where 'real football fans can be found'. Also very proud that they even watch our game let alone comment positively on it.  Anyone can support Man Utd, Real Madrid or Barca - it is not difficult. They quite simply do not know they are born.

I'd rather watch a Burton v Luton Town etc than Liverpool Man Utd any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Love reading fans forums from proper salt of the Earth clubs like Burton and Barnsley.  This is where 'real' football lies and where 'real football fans can be found'. Also very proud that they even watch our game let alone comment positively on it.  Anyone can support Man Utd, Real Madrid or Barca - it is not difficult. They quite simply do not know they are born.

I'd rather watch a Burton v Luton Town etc than Liverpool Man Utd any day of the week.

Interesting you should say that. I didn't plan this but gradually I've just stopped watching most EPL games and a lot of the Champs League and Uefa league stuff as well. I don't even know why but I'd just rather watch Scottish stuff now and i include the Scottish Championship in that.

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Interesting you should say that. I didn't plan this but gradually I've just stopped watching most EPL games and a lot of the Champs League and Uefa league stuff as well. I don't even know why but I'd just rather watch Scottish stuff now and i include the Scottish Championship in that.

Football is not designed for the G16 clubs and the entire world footballing community fights for the scraps.  It is so hard to stomach.  Seeing a club spend 50 million quid on a player or seeing a club sack a manager who has won about  3 league titles in 5 years.  The fans of these clubs are spoilt *******s.  They have even killed international football.  And don't get me started on the FA cup.  Used to be something to be proud of now the big clubs field their kids until it gets to a round that means something.  They have ruined the game.

On 27/01/2020 at 01:11, FinnBarr Saunders said:

No keen on the Dhim calling us Wee Huns

"Dhim".....he'll be a Celtic fan. This "huns" thing is just another piece of crap Celtic started years ago. For anyone looking in....the majority of Hearts fans detest both halves of the Glasgow divide equally. Over the last 30-odd years we've had biased refereeing from both and arguably we've had more dodgy decisions against Rangers than Celtic. Best thing that happened was their (Rangers) fans let their club die. Rangers 2012....while I don't mind them using blue, white and red strips, or even playing at Rangers old ground Ibrox, they should not be allowed to have the old Glasgow Rangers' badge or stars on their strip. They are not Glasgow Rangers, they went into liquidation. If Rangers 2012 do manage to actually go on and win the SPL then it's a remarkable achievement for a club only eight years old and they should be complimented on that, if it were to happen.

Ex member of the SaS
4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

"Dhim".....he'll be a Celtic fan. This "huns" thing is just another piece of crap Celtic started years ago. For anyone looking in....the majority of Hearts fans detest both halves of the Glasgow divide equally. Over the last 30-odd years we've had biased refereeing from both and arguably we've had more dodgy decisions against Rangers than Celtic. Best thing that happened was their (Rangers) fans let their club die. Rangers 2012....while I don't mind them using blue, white and red strips, or even playing at Rangers old ground Ibrox, they should not be allowed to have the old Glasgow Rangers' badge or stars on their strip. They are not Glasgow Rangers, they went into liquidation. If Rangers 2012 do manage to actually go on and win the SPL then it's a remarkable achievement for a club only eight years old and they should be complimented on that, if it were to happen.

Agreed, never understood why the legal authorities allowed them to be called Rangers. Generally when companies fail they start again but are not allowed to use the same name. Ok they claim to be THE Rangers but commentators should be made to call them that.

19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

When I was in Holland I tried to get into dutch football, then I got iptv so tried to get into EPL and tv games in general, but nothing does the job like Scottish blood and snotters football.

I think we're guilty of looking at others wistfully and putting our game down instead of appreciating what we've got. I love Scottish football!

And beating the rangers of course. 

20 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I've never even seen a Champions League game in over ten years! I refuse to watch fake football, money-laiden clubs that've lost their identity. It has lessened the chance of other clubs (particularly in Scotland) getting a fair crack in Europe. Think back to the eighties...Aberdeen winning European trophies, Dundee Utd beating the likes of Barcelona and playing in Euro finals. We never quite managed that far but did well to get to the UEFA cup quarter-finals, beat Bayern Munich and lost out on only one goal away from home. It'll never happen again. Champions League for Champions only, not second, third and fourth-placed clubs., They're NOT Champions! As for the Premiership....I watch occasional games if I have an interest in it. For example, a mate of mine from Essex is a big West Ham fan so i might take in one of their games live, i know he watches Hearts when they're live on telly as he texts me if a dodgy decision is made against us or we've scored a cracking goal etc. . Generally though, I much prefer Match of the Day highlights. I  also watch the EPL highlights on Quest and search out matches that have a Hearts connection like when Pressley was Coventry manager, Neilson was MK Dons, Burton having Ryan Edwards, Sunderland connections (McLaughlin/Ozturk) and Gillingham recently with Olly Lee there. 

I enjoy watching the Championship games on BBC Scotland on a Friday night. Shame the Scottish tv channels don't see fit to show highlights of our lower leagues yet Quest will show anything from Championship to league two. 

41 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

36 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

100% with you both here

I don't watch EPL or CL matches. Was a home & away traveler with Scotland for many years too but take no interest in the national team anymore. International football is the least entertaining level of football for me.

Scottish Football all the way! But I do enjoy the EFL goals on Quest channel Saturday nights.

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Mr McCrae

C/O. Somewhere in the 1950s 😁

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

only social media I have is Twitter, on there people from all over the world calling Liverpool us, what makes them fans of Liverpool? A football fan to me is someone who goes to games. Just because you turn the tv on doesn’t make you a fan, if someone claims to be a Burton fan they probably are, and I’ve more respect for them than a bell end at work claiming to be a Man Utd fan because he’s got sky, they’ve no idea what sort of effort goes into being a fan of a club. 
the expense, the time, effort and hard work. 

1 minute ago, NlGHTMARE said:

only social media I have is Twitter, on there people from all over the world calling Liverpool us, what makes them fans of Liverpool? A football fan to me is someone who goes to games. Just because you turn the tv on doesn’t make you a fan, if someone claims to be a Burton fan they probably are, and I’ve more respect for them than a bell end at work claiming to be a Man Utd fan because he’s got sky, they’ve no idea what sort of effort goes into being a fan of a club. 

I fully go along with the adage 'you don't choose your football team your football team chooses you'.  Up here NIGHTMARE is a case of about 60% of all football fans supporting a team for dis-honourable reasons like glory and religion and it stinks.  I see down south groups of fans like 'Cockney Reds' and I know it is not exclusive to up here but it is the majority here and that is what saddens me.  Are we supposed to be impressed that Real Madrid or Man Utd etc have won this that and the next thing - they have the entire continent of Asia throwing money at them. If i was starting out now i'd steer clear of football but sadly it is part of my DNA so will keep supporting but the game is a package now spoilt by dishonour.

See all this real football fan stuff its a load of nonsense. A guy who's followed Man City or Utd or Chelsea etc all his days is no less a football fan than a Barnsley fan just because his team were lucky enough that some rich guy turned up and bought their club.

I didn't see many Hearts fans packing in their season tickets when Vlad came along and promised us champions league football etc. 

If a guy rich enough fancied buying Hearts and we were challenging the old firm and progressing in Europe would you stop watching Hearts??

Just now, Rudy T said:

See all this real football fan stuff its a load of nonsense. A guy who's followed Man City or Utd or Chelsea etc all his days is no less a football fan than a Barnsley fan just because his team were lucky enough that some rich guy turned up and bought their club.

I didn't see many Hearts fans packing in their season tickets when Vlad came along and promised us champions league football etc. 

If a guy rich enough fancied buying Hearts and we were challenging the old firm and progressing in Europe would you stop watching Hearts??

Every team has it's core local support, no one's slagging them. 

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Nothing I like better than to hear us giving it 'You let your club die' at the Hun fans on national television.

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Every team has it's core local support, no one's slagging them. 

I beg to differ on that.

1 minute ago, HighTimes said:

Nothing I like better than to hear us giving it 'You let your club die' at the Hun fans on national television.

I do hope that was heard clearly on TV ? I personally was singing it as loudly as I could 😂

Big Slim Stylee
19 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

If you have Amazon, try watching the very first episode of this. Liverpool fans in Rwanda.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Is-Football-Season-1/dp/B07TCRJZ6V

You might change your mind a bit. It’s a deeply moving program.

13 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Those who support a team for the right reasons like 'locality' or inheritance are not part of my rant (this is surely clear to all).  If you are asking me to respect some boy in singapore, Dublin or Malaysia who wears a Man United top and watches the games then you will be waiting  a while.  If you think I am ever going to class some boy up in Inverness who supports Rangers because a) they win every week (except last week that is) and b) he despises catholics then again you will be waiting a while.

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

If that's the question I'd rather sign more players but is it the question. As a modern progressive club we can't just spend every penny on players. Not talking about right now and us being bottom of the league but more in general terms.

Our priority has to be the men’s team. That is what will drive all our revenue and without success we will not have money available to support any activities in the community.

I agree we should support Women’s/Girls football. The amount of financial support we are providing is too much for a club or our size.

53 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Mr McCrae

C/O. Somewhere in the 1950s 😁

It’s called getting a balance. The amount were spending is the same as the fee we spent for Boyce.  With the club struggling I don’t think that’s a smart thing to do. 

1 minute ago, McCrae said:

Our priority has to be the men’s team. That is what will drive all our revenue and without success we will not have money available to support any activities in the community.

I agree we should support Women’s/Girls football. The amount of financial support we are providing is too much for a club or our size.

I agree we need to support the first team but in all our recent transfer windows we've done that.

I simply don't know enough about either our finances or how much it should cost to run a women's team to agree or disagree with you.

English football sold its soul with the premier league, in return it has more money than it knows what to do with (80 million squid for a defender anyone) and global reach, sure selling tops from Cairo to Cape town and beyond is great, but the whole thing is soulless and forced, Im speaking as someone who feels the brunt of their third world marketing sledgehammer whenever i turn on the sports channels.

16 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Our priority is the men’s team. Wasn’t the Women’s team money provided by our sponsor specifically for that purpose?

5 minutes ago, Ballitojambo said:

English football sold its soul with the premier league, in return it has more money than it knows what to do with (80 million squid for a defender anyone) and global reach, sure selling tops from Cairo to Cape town and beyond is great, but the whole thing is soulless and forced, Im speaking as someone who feels the brunt of their third world marketing sledgehammer whenever i turn on the sports channels.

Leicester are a class example.  I was well and truly on the 'Leicester express' 3 years back when they won it.  Leicester were a very inoffensive club and were the underdogs so as a neutral - who wouldn't wish them on.  They instantly became ***** after that by sacking managers because they never won 40 nil one week.

17 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

I hate um pal.

It is hard to like them.  I go down to Liverpool about 3 times a year, love the city and I love all things 'the Beatles' but I just can't like the football team.  Give me Everton anyday (and even then I don't care).  a bigger bunch of self obsessed wanna be victims you will never meet.  Great club but I just can't take them.

15 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Those who support a team for the right reasons like 'locality' or inheritance are not part of my rant (this is surely clear to all).  If you are asking me to respect some boy in singapore, Dublin or Malaysia who wears a Man United top and watches the games then you will be waiting  a while.  If you think I am ever going to class some boy up in Inverness who supports Rangers because a) they win every week (except last week that is) and b) he despises catholics then again you will be waiting a while.

Its not clear though is it !

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Anyone can support Man Utd, Real Madrid or Barca - it is not difficult. They quite simply do not know they are born.

Its just hyperbole to exaggerate your point that the big clubs have football tourists as "fans". Our own club are pushing for these fans with the Meshino signing. 

Football is not mutually exclusive to the working man born and bred 10 minutes from the ground. Its a sport for all to enjoy.

Its the greed of those who run the game that requires scrutiny, not who is or isn't allowed to watch it.

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Its not clear though is it !

Its just hyperbole to exaggerate your point that the big clubs have football tourists as "fans". Our own club are pushing for these fans with the Meshino signing. 

Football is not mutually exclusive to the working man born and bred 10 minutes from the ground. Its a sport for all to enjoy.

Its the greed of those who run the game that requires scrutiny, not who is or isn't allowed to watch it.

Nothing to do with working class.  It is everything to do with not taking the easy way out.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Nothing to do with working class.  It is everything to do with not taking the easy way out.

Why? If someone enjoys watching football and feels an affinity with that team does it matter where they are from? Who are you to dictate the "criteria" of a football fan? We have guys on this board who don't come from Edinburgh and for their own personal reasons have taken a liking to Hearts. 

Hearts are no different to Man Utd in the respect we generate cash through commercial ventures and that includes trying to attract new fans, regardless of their reasons, colour, creed, religion or nationality. I really don't see what your problem is other than it doesn't fit with your backward views on anything that has changed in the last 20 years.

28 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Our priority is the men’s team. Wasn’t the Women’s team money provided by our sponsor specifically for that purpose?

No, the funding has come from our regular income. I would like to make it clear that I am not against supporting women’s football. My argument is that we have been excessive.  The amount of money we are spending could have paid for another Boyce type player.  The decision to spend such a large amount was a mistake,

12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Why? If someone enjoys watching football and feels an affinity with that team does it matter where they are from? Who are you to dictate the "criteria" of a football fan? We have guys on this board who don't come from Edinburgh and for their own personal reasons have taken a liking to Hearts. 

Hearts are no different to Man Utd in the respect we generate cash through commercial ventures and that includes trying to attract new fans, regardless of their reasons, colour, creed, religion or nationality. I really don't see what your problem is other than it doesn't fit with your backward views on anything that has changed in the last 20 years.

I'm not dictating, not sure where you see that I am.I am just saying what fans I respect and do not respect and the ones I feel are killing the game.  I could sit have a few beers and talk football with a Plymouth fan for example all day.  I would not even entertain a conversation about football with a Man United fan with a Northern Irish or Scottish accent for example.  I am, completely intolerant of these people.

Acceptable bigotry

:fonzie:

6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I'm not dictating, not sure where you see that I am.I am just saying what fans I respect and do not respect and the ones I feel are killing the game.  I could sit have a few beers and talk football with a Plymouth fan for example all day.  I would not even entertain a conversation about football with a Man United fan with a Northern Irish or Scottish accent for example.  I am, completely intolerant of these people.

Acceptable bigotry

I moved to England at 18 months old, so I have an English accent.  So using your example I am not a fan you could tolerate.

Yet i attend almost every home game, some away games, and have had a season ticket for the last 15 years.

Luckily I wouldn't want to listen to your nonsense anyway. As most on here don't funnily enough.

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

You've missed the point that was being made imo. 

Check back and compare the average attendances for the like of Chelsea at Stamford Bridge before the money men moved in also Manchester City at Main Road. 

Obviously these clubs will have their die hards but well outnumbered by the glory seekers who would disappear after a couple of relegations.

They wouldn't be on the TV as much either so the armchair fan would find another franchise to refer to as We. 😏

Broke the bank, lucky win, rest assured Hearts will go down...

Some of these boys need locked up in a padded cell...  Imagine being so bitterly obsessed by your more successful neighbours, horrible existence.

14 hours ago, luckydug said:

Doesn't help when we invite a Rangers fan to do the half time draw.

Just because he played for Hearts for a few games 30 years ago.

Whoever organised that needs booted in the nuts.😡

A bizarre decision indeed.

5 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

I moved to England at 18 months old, so I have an English accent.  So using your example I am not a fan you could tolerate.

Yet i attend almost every home game, some away games, and have had a season ticket for the last 15 years.

Luckily I wouldn't want to listen to your nonsense anyway. As most on here don't funnily enough.

Woosh!

Hint :  Try read my post before you come on and reply to me

1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Another one missing the point. 

I hardly think anyone living in London who travels regularly to watch Hearts can be compared to Scottish people who ' suddenly find an affiliation for Liverpool, Man Utd or whoever is flavour of the year down south. 

You and the other English based Hearts fans have the admiration of us all👍

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You've missed the point that was being made imo. 

Check back and compare the average attendances for the like of Chelsea at Stamford Bridge before the money men moved in also Manchester City at Main Road. 

Obviously these clubs will have their die hards but well outnumbered by the glory seekers who would disappear after a couple of relegations.

They wouldn't be on the TV as much either so the armchair fan would find another franchise to refer to as We. 😏

I've not missed that point, I get it entirely that money has changed the supporters base of many clubs. That was not what I8 was saying and he's continued to reiterate his ridiculous point since.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Woosh!

My point was you don't know the background of the person. How do you know that person's family in your example didn't move from manchester?  Or they had a good reason to support man u. 

There was a kid at my school who got a load of stick for being a man utd fan in Essex. His dad was from salford and moved to London for work. They went to every game. 

My issue is your constant sweeping generalisations on literally everything. It weakens any point you make. 

Boyce and Sibbock both had tremendous debuts against what is one of the most difficult teams in the league to play against. Boyce will go on to score many more methinks and happier times are ahead no doubt whatsoever.

Edited by Saxon Hearts

3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Woosh!

I think you need to read your own posts.

20 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Acceptable bigotry

11 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Looks to me like a guy with an english accent supports Hearts, is he different to a man Utd with an Irish accent?

3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Another one missing the point. 

I hardly think anyone living in London who travels regularly to watch Hearts can be compared to Scottish people who ' suddenly find an affiliation for Liverpool, Man Utd or whoever is flavour of the year down south. 

You and the other English based Hearts fans have the admiration of us all👍

The poster I was responding to was making a different point. He was claiming he wouldn't talk to a man u fan with a northern irish or sottish accent. As they aren't real fans. That's bl00dy ludicrous and is a different point from yours.

Just now, Rudy T said:

I think you need to read your own posts.

Looks to me like a guy with an english accent supports Hearts, is he different to a man Utd with an Irish accent?

Thank you. Exactly the point I was making, but you made it far more eloquently. No surprise the poster in question is making sweeping generalisations though. 

13 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

My point was you don't know the background of the person. How do you know that person's family in your example didn't move from manchester?  Or they had a good reason to support man u. 

There was a kid at my school who got a load of stick for being a man utd fan in Essex. His dad was from salford and moved to London for work. They went to every game. 

My issue is your constant sweeping generalisations on literally everything. It weakens any point you make. 

I would say 'sweeping generalisations' are not a phenomenon exclusive to me.  

No-one owes me their footballing supporting credentials but I am fully entitled to engage in conversation with who I see fit.  Obviously there are exceptions but in the main they are not worth interaction.